Tower of Terror Closing Officialy?

We were there Thu & Fri last week, Oct 6/7. My DD9 headed straight for ToT on the 6th. Signs said "15 minutes" Awesome! Then we waited & waited & waited for her to emerge ... from the bystander's point of view, only the elevator on the left was opening. I didn't see the middle or right one open the whole time I was standing down there. She waited ~45 minutes. Same thing as previous posters said - we'd see FP times, then it would be closed in reality - machine not offering FPs. We tried to make sure DD9 got there in the evenings to ride, but with lines almost 2+ hours long, she too agreed she got to ride it one more time, she certainly wasn't going to wait 2+ hours to ride it in the dark. Oh well. hubby & I didn't ride it at all. We were able to get Radiator Springs FPs 2 times Thursday & 2 times Friday, so that made up for it

This is also very disapointing. Glad you were able to ride RSR 2x each day!

I'm going tomorrow and was hoping to pull a FP at some point tomorrow. And then Saturday our plan is to head to ToT at rope drop for a ride. I keep checking the apps and it looks like ToT hasn't even opened today. So sad!

Oh - the upside? We got an AWESOME family photo at the ToT Photopass luggage spot in front ... we have our xmas card image :-) While I waited for DD9 to get off ride, the photog wasn't busy at all - it was 9:05 am, after all, my DS7 kept taking photos with her. i have some awesome candids of him posing - maybe 20 or 30 of them. She just kept taking pics of him!

Oh - the upside? We got an AWESOME family photo at the ToT Photopass luggage spot in front ... we have our xmas card image :-) While I waited for DD9 to get off ride, the photog wasn't busy at all - it was 9:05 am, after all, my DS7 kept taking photos with her. i have some awesome candids of him posing - maybe 20 or 30 of them. She just kept taking pics of him!

Ditto, the great and fun photopass photographers really were trying to help us make the best out of the situation with the missing sign and long waits. we only had to wait a few minutes for the photographer. I only wish we had gotten a photo with the actual tower in its full glory rather than just a picture spot.

ToT1.0.jpg ToT2.0.jpg ToT3.0.jpg

Great pics!

I just checked the Disneyland app and ToT is open now! It shows it's distributing FPs too. Hoping to get a few rides this weekend!

I am a little confused about Mickey being hidden, as I see him almost every time I go to Disneyland, and often at California Adventure. Although I'm bummed about losing that beautiful mural and Golden Gate Bridge (monorail), I love the Buena Street transition.

Do you know what a hidden Mickey is? The last several times I have gone to DL when I go into stores I don't see Mickey merchandise I see Star Wars or marvel. Yes you can find Mickey on Main Street or in his house in toon town but I see more Star Wars and marvel then I do Mickey. I guess it's a matter of perspective and remembering days in the past decades where Mickey was just more.

Do you know what a hidden Mickey is? The last several times I have gone to DL when I go into stores I don't see Mickey merchandise I see Star Wars or marvel. Yes you can find Mickey on Main Street or in his house in toon town but I see more Star Wars and marvel then I do Mickey. I guess it's a matter of perspective and remembering days in the past decades where Mickey was just more.

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/HiddenMickey.html

https://www.amazon.com/Disneylands-Hidden-Mickeys-Disneyland-Resorts/dp/1937011283

Actually I'm not sure if you're using the hidden Mickey as a play on words here or not but I think you may be using the term hidden Mickey incorrectly. A hidden mickey is a mickey silhouette with one large circle at the bottom and 2 smaller circles above that is hidden in plain sight as part of the artwork or decor in a specific area or on a ride. I bought a ring in NOS last year that had hidden mickeys in it. To a casual observer it was just a chunky ring with lots of circular stones on it but really there were 2 hidden mickeys. There are several hidden in both parks (though I have found more in DL than in DCA). both parks have hidden Mickeys as well as Mickey in plain sight I assure you. I also find Mickey merch in both parks- but i tend to find way more oswald stuff in DCA.

The play on words went right over my head. o_O

I get what you're saying. I still see Mickey merchandise all over the place, and although I've noticed the Star Wars and Marvel merchandise, I think that is more contained, and know that there are people who appreciate it, so it really doesn't bother me. I can see how it would be sad, though, to lose what we consider to be "pure" Disney. I saw some Bambi baby clothes the other day and was over the moon, where Star Wars baby clothes wouldn't mean the same to me...

Actually I'm not sure if you're using the hidden Mickey as a play on words here or not but I think you may be using the term hidden Mickey incorrectly. A hidden mickey is a mickey silhouette with one large circle at the bottom and 2 smaller circles above that is hidden in plain sight as part of the artwork or decor in a specific area or on a ride. I bought a ring in NOS last year that had hidden mickeys in it. To a casual observer it was just a chunky ring with lots of circular stones on it but really there were 2 hidden mickeys. There are several hidden in both parks (though I have found more in DL than in DCA). both parks have hidden Mickeys as well as Mickey in plain sight I assure you. I also find Mickey merch in both parks- but i tend to find way more oswald stuff in DCA.

It was a play on words. I know there still is mickey merchandise I just see more Star Wars now. I mean don't get me wrong I like Star Wars. I just don't like Mickey and Star Wars together. I feel they should be separate. Now a whole new theme park dedicated to Star wars would be great. And since the original post was about ToT and guardians of the galaxy a new Marvel theme park would be fun too. I just have a hard time accepting guardians in the tower.

I heard they kind of "had" to close it because they don't own the rights to the twighlight zone and apparently twighlight zone was negotiating for more money, money that Disney wasn't prepared to spend. I don't think they would've closed it unless they felt their hand was forced to.

I heard they kind of "had" to close it because they don't own the rights to the twighlight zone and apparently twighlight zone was negotiating for more money, money that Disney wasn't prepared to spend. I don't think they would've closed it unless they felt their hand was forced to.

That is a popular rumor, but I can't believe it is entirely true because WDW will still have their Twilight Zone theming. If they had to get rid of the T.Z. references there, too, I assume they would have announced a change to Guardians theming at WDW as well.

That is a popular rumor, but I can't believe it is entirely true because WDW will still have their Twilight Zone theming. If they had to get rid of the T.Z. references there, too, I assume they would have announced a change to Guardians theming at WDW as well.

That and they are spending money for the rights to use Avatar at WDW. I think Disney just wants Marvel Land in their parks.

Last edited:
Universal Studios owns the rights to Marvel Characters east of the Mississippi.

The changeover was 100% driven by Disney Corporate, who wants a return on investment in buying the property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter