• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Touring Plans New Look

I'm sorry about yesterday's MK prediction. We expected a 3 and it was a 6. That's the highest crowd level we've seen for a post-MNSSHP Thursday in the first week of November since at least 2015. I don't think there's any way the models would've predicted that, just based on history.

Our working hypothesis is that the MK is getting more visits from guests using the discounted tickets Disney's been offering. We're going to see if adding that to the models will help.

There were some significant instances of downtime in the MK yesterday:
  • IASW was offline about 24% of the day
  • Buzz (24%)
  • BTMRR (23%)
  • Pirates (20%)
  • Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion with 10% each
We think about 8% of the park's overall ride capacity was unavailable, where 1-3% is typical. That doesn't explain the 3-point jump, though.

The rest of the park predictions were slight overestimates:
  • EP: Predicted 5 was 3 (3% downtime)
  • HS: 6 was 4 (5% downtime)
  • AK: 4 was 3 (5% downtime)
Keep in mind that the crowd levels are tied to Disney's posted wait times. We use posted wait times because they're objective and transparent - everyone understands what 60 minutes means, for example, and you can verify yourself, without having to believe us, that Disney says the wait is 60 minutes.

That said, Disney's posted wait times are often inaccurate and in unpredictable ways. That introduces errors into the predictions and into the evaluations of what actually happened.
Thanks so much for responding to my comment. Yes, rides had their issues for sure. We got a bonus LL for BTMR down during our time and we were let out of Buzz after tapping in :( .

We had a modified day at Epcot today (arrived late and left early) and I'd say your prediction of 6 was probably correct. I'll be curious to see. :)

@lentesta edited to add that Disney also changed the MK close time to 10 (I didn't see this until we were in the park, so maybe I missed TP email notification or forgot), so maybe the later time had something to do with the crowds?

Last edited:
@lentesta I like the new look of the TP site. Are the Personalized Plans pages going to get an update also? Id like to suggest adding a Tours tab/selection, so we can include things like Behind the Seeds or Caring for Giants, etc.

Thanks so much for responding to my comment. Yes, rides had their issues for sure. We got a bonus LL for BTMR down during our time and we were let out of Buzz after tapping in :( .

We had a modified day at Epcot today (arrived late and left early) and I'd say your prediction of 6 was probably correct. I'll be curious to see. :)

Thanks! Yes, predicted 6 at EPCOT, was a 6.

@lentesta I like the new look of the TP site. Are the Personalized Plans pages going to get an update also? Id like to suggest adding a Tours tab/selection, so we can include things like Behind the Seeds or Caring for Giants, etc.

Thanks! Yes, it's the last of the major tools to be released, probably within the next 2 weeks.

Can the 'notes' section work for tours?

Thanks! Yes, it's the last of the major tools to be released, probably within the next 2 weeks.

Can the 'notes' section work for tours?
I usually use Break for things like that, since you know a start time and duration. It has worked well for me for years. Thanks for all of the hard work.

Agree with a list above. Looks great but the crowd calendar is a downgrade. Still good thought. Love the site so much. These guys and gals are statistic savants. 😬

Though I've only seen it on desktop, I like the new look! At first, I couldn't figure out how to navigate to my pre-made personalized touring plans from the main page. This caused a bit of a panic because I thought they were gone.

Finally found them by navigating to "Walt Disney World Florida < Touring Plans < Build Your Own Touring Plans. After this, I got directed to a "c" version of the old website and I can see all my personalized plans on the right hand side column.

After playing around some more, I realized that I could actually click on my personalized plans from the 'crowd calendar' section of my plans on the new version.

Could be that I was just used to the old look, so had a harder time figuring it out at first. My kids probably could have figured it out in 30 seconds. 🤣

Agree with a list above. Looks great but the crowd calendar is a downgrade. Still good thought. Love the site so much. These guys and gals are statistic savants. 😬

Thank you! If you prefer the old row-centric style, click 'Row View' on the right-hand side at the top of the calendar.

I'm having problems with the Create Your Own touring plans. Specifically, if I want to ride a particular ride more than once, I can't get the plan to take the data. From the drop down, I select "2" but it only appears for a flash second before reverting to "1". If I can't find a solution, this feature will be useless to me.

@lentesta After doing my personalized plans for our upcoming trip, I am a convert to the new look. For the plans, it’s miles better than before. However, I have noticed some lag at times when optimizing. For the rest of the site, I’m happy with the look now. Thanks for all the hard work.

EDIT: I am using Chrome on a laptop.

@lentesta After doing my personalized plans for our upcoming trip, I am a convert to the new look. For the plans, it’s miles better than before. However, I have noticed some lag at times when optimizing. For the rest of the site, I’m happy with the look now. Thanks for all the hard work.

EDIT: I am using Chrome on a laptop.

Thank you! We're looking at the optimization lag. Hopefully will be resolved soon.

We just renewed and have used for several years/trips. I was a little confused when I first renewed and haven’t made it back to investigate/plan farther. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the owner being on here giving advice and taking opinions .in a world lacking customer service right now it’s refreshing to see :) well done

We just renewed and have used for several years/trips. I was a little confused when I first renewed and haven’t made it back to investigate/plan farther. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the owner being on here giving advice and taking opinions .in a world lacking customer service right now it’s refreshing to see :) well done
Would love to be able to agree with this. Maybe my issue a couple of posts above was unintentionally overlooked. But I am still unable to build personalized plans with multiple selections on the same ride.

Would love to be able to agree with this. Maybe my issue a couple of posts above was unintentionally overlooked. But I am still unable to build personalized plans with multiple selections on the same ride.
See, that's what happens when I type before the coffee has kicked in. My mistake. Lesson learned.

If you don't mind emailing me, @gzmtlock (len at touringplans dot com), I'd love to take a look at what's happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter