Tougher Cell Phone Law to take effect 1/1/2017 in California

Darkbeer1

Theme Park Reporter and TV producer
Pretty much, a driver is not allowed to touch their cell phone while sitting in the driver's seat, even when not actively driving, such as at a traffic light, so make sure and get a hands free mount and use voice recognition when using the cell phone.

That includes driving applications, you can't touch the screen to answer a question, so make sure it is in the correct setting. (exception is a one time allowance to turn something on or off, but only once).

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article123126354.html

>>The law says cellphones can be mounted in two spots on the windshield: either a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side, or a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield to the driver’s left.

Drivers can also attach the phone holder to the dashboard in a spot where it doesn’t block the drivers’ view of the road or get in the way of airbags.<<

So please be careful, and follow the law while driving.

While it seems extreme...this law simply closes a loophole where CA had an existing "hands free" cell phone law and a judge ruled in a case where a driver was given a ticket for using his phone as a GPS and holding it in his lap and not up to his head was not subject to the hand free cell phone law as written and the driver got off.

I generally hate vent clip on mounts...but if any CA drivers...or anyone else for that matter is looking for one...I have these in all my vehicles and they work amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LU5LWQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't wanna get a ticket navigating to Disneyland!

Well, this is a pain for those of us who don't live in California and only visit once or twice a year.

Pretty much, a driver is not allowed to touch their cell phone while sitting in the driver's seat, even when not actively driving, such as at a traffic light, so make sure and get a hands free mount and use voice recognition when using the cell phone.

That includes driving applications, you can't touch the screen to answer a question, so make sure it is in the correct setting. (exception is a one time allowance to turn something on or off, but only once).

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article123126354.html

>>The law says cellphones can be mounted in two spots on the windshield: either a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side, or a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield to the driver’s left.

Drivers can also attach the phone holder to the dashboard in a spot where it doesn’t block the drivers’ view of the road or get in the way of airbags.<<

So please be careful, and follow the law while driving.

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised at this "new" law, I assumed that this kind of law was standard all over North America. BC's law was first in effect Jan 1, 2010.

Using your cell phone in any way except using a hands free device has been banned in British Columbia for 7 years and anyone with a "L" (learner's permit) or "N" (novice driver) are banned from using ANY electronic devices including hands free or GPS devices.

This is not to say that I don't see people using their cells just about every day but it's a handful per week as opposed to just about everyone before this law. The $368 fine plus 4 penalty points ($175 to get 4 points off your license, billed even if you don't insure a car) does go a long way to get people to stop being idiots and put down their phone!

I personally see a difference between talking on your cell or programming directions at a stop light (no more distracting than a million other things like eating, looking at a map, parenting kids, etc), and looking down at a screen or texting as you fly down the road, but obviously this law doesn't. I assume because common sense can't be trusted.

Families visiting Cali should also be aware of the carseat laws, including the newest law requiring toddlers to rear-face until age 2 unless 40 inches or 40 lbs.

"Does this affect cab drivers and tour bus drivers?" asks the person who always seems to get the drivers screaming into the phone at their dispatchers....

"Does this affect cab drivers and tour bus drivers?" asks the person who always seems to get the drivers screaming into the phone at their dispatchers....

Yes, any driver of a vehicle. A Taxi driver (or Uber/Lyft/Shuttle/Tour Bus/etc.) can talk to their dispatcher, but using the hands free option, including calling the phone number (voice recognition). The minute they pick up/touch the phone, they are breaking the law.

I personally see a difference between talking on your cell or programming directions at a stop light (no more distracting than a million other things like eating, looking at a map, parenting kids, etc), and looking down at a screen or texting as you fly down the road, but obviously this law doesn't. I assume because common sense can't be trusted.

Families visiting Cali should also be aware of the carseat laws, including the newest law requiring toddlers to rear-face until age 2 unless 40 inches or 40 lbs.

I agree wholeheartedly about "lawful" distractions--keeping my kids from killing each other in the back seat, deflecting flying sippy cups and shoes, getting a bite of a Big Mac, and driving all at once is a lot more distracting (and equally as common!). While I would "die" if they made eating in the car unlawful, it would make the roads a little safer. On a side note, I LOVE the new car seat rear-facing law, but I'm a car seat freak like that :)

Yes, any driver of a vehicle. A Taxi driver (or Uber/Lyft/Shuttle/Tour Bus/etc.) can talk to their dispatcher, but using the hands free option, including calling the phone number (voice recognition). The minute they pick up/touch the phone, they are breaking the law.

Wooooooo hooooooo!

When a similar law went into effect in OR or WA (can't remember which), there was a work loophole built in to the law. Eventually the loophole was closed, but it took like 1-2 years.

Given the quality of the roads I have driven on in California, I would reckon this strengthening of the law is because of the likelihood of the phone becoming a projectile from the erratic bouncing around.

Given the quality of the roads I have driven on in California, I would reckon this strengthening of the law is because of the likelihood of the phone becoming a projectile from the erratic bouncing around.

Or it's because it's caused accidents, and people have died from it. The quality of roads doesn't help because sometimes the roads are so bumpy, but I wouldn't say it's because it will "bounce around and become a projectile."

I LOLd at this one. I get it, people are dying because they or somebody else is doing something on a cell phone instead of driving but will it change people's behavior? No. Is it enforceable? Not really. Are people fumbling with Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, etc going to stop using them or use them only hands free? Not really. I don't have anything against the law and if it gets a few people to utilize hands free instead of fumbling with their phone I'm all for it. Huh. Talked myself into being supportive of this! ROFL.

...When a similar law went into effect in OR or WA (can't remember which), there was a work loophole built in to the law. Eventually the loophole was closed, but it took like 1-2 years.
There was a loophole for law enforcement officers on work years ago, don't know if that's still in there.

There was a loophole for law enforcement officers on work years ago, don't know if that's still in there.
Law enforcement one may still be in there... I clearly remember that they took the general "work" reasoning out, as well as the medical work reasoning (which was where it caught me badly, since I couldn't argue that I needed immediate access to my phone for patient care).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter