Tomorrowland Speedway?

I'd disagree. Not because it's such a great attraction, but rather that it tunes into a great childhood fantasy -being able to drive a car. Sure, for a teen/adult it's a big, somewhat loud, and possibly unsightly attraction. ....but for a child it can be quite exciting. I remember loving the idea(and that goes back quite a ways) and my children were always begging to ride.

Exactly this. I've often seen people on this site wonder why this ride is in Tomorrowland, but this is exactly why it is; it lets kids explore the fantasy of driving a car, which is still way off in the future for them, so it is part of a kid's vision of "tomorrow." I agree with all the statements that it should be switched to electric powered cars, though. That would be better for the environment, plus it would fit better with the futuristic theme.

It would be nice to see them update it a little, but now that our youngest is cleared to drive solo she loves the idea of driving herself around. Last year they let her drive the track solo nonstop from midnight to 12:30am as they put up all the other cars and had already shut down the ride to more guests since the park was closing. We had already ridden a few times in a row due to no line and they asked her if she wanted to stay and drive until they had to leave. Of course she was in heaven... some of the CMs even went out to 'race' her a little too... definitely a great memory.

Now that is great. My child would love that.

Disney needs to keep some older nostalgic rides around. my four year old knows I rode it when I was a kid and she is so proud to have me ride with her because daddy rode it also.

I completley agree. They could replace it with a ride like "Radiator Springs Racers" or Luigis Flying Tires or Maters Junkyard Jamboree. The only attraction we visit in Tomorrowland is Buzz Light Year. I dont think its a bad idea to remove tommorrowland the same as they did toontown and replace it with cars attractions or even Pixie Hollow. Mickey and Minnie's houses will be missed by my family however.:confused:

I understand some people' dislike for Tomorrowland Speedway, but our kids love this attraction! (as do my wife and I) My DD9 (last year) was super excited because she was tall enough to drive a car all on her own. Made for a fun memory and some great video. :)

Dan

I love the Tomorrowland Speedway. I've gone it on every trip but the most recent (didn't have enough time).

It would be nice though if they they would update the cars and the queue area. That what I would change.

I don't like the idea of changing the theme though. I love it.

I completley agree. They could replace it with a ride like "Radiator Springs Racers" or Luigis Flying Tires or Maters Junkyard Jamboree. The only attraction we visit in Tomorrowland is Buzz Light Year. I dont think its a bad idea to remove tommorrowland the same as they did toontown and replace it with cars attractions or even Pixie Hollow. Mickey and Minnie's houses will be missed by my family however.:confused:

:scared1: To each his/her own but personally if they did that id never step foot in MK again if not every Disney park.

I would have said that before riding it for the first time last year with dgd 7 and dgs 4. They LOVED being able to drive. I loved watching them love it.

I dislike it now but as a child it was my favorite ride in the park. Im a huge car guy and i LOVED cars even at a young age. It was the only place i could drive them. I was too small to drive so my dad would switch seats with me after we left the station so i could drive on my own. i have a photo of myself driving one when i was little. Gives me a big smile everytime i see it

Oh no! As a kid that was one of my favorite rides at Disneyland!!! And I know my kids loved it there and at Disney World. So, no I don't think it should be taken out, but I am not apposed to updating.

REALLY? :scared: Taking Tomorrowland out of Disney would be sacrilege! lol I mean, that was one of Walt Disney's original dreams. I remember going to Disneyland after they had refurbished Tomorrowland and was even a bit upset at how they had changed it. But, at least it was still there. Toontown on the other hand was much much later. Never understood the appeal of that. :confused3

I think the ride needs updating, but I don’t know if I want it gone. I haven’t been on it in over 10 years, but there are long lines for this ride for a reason. And one of my favorite memories was on this ride from when I was 19 – not even as a little kid! :rotfl:

I'd rather see it updated. Replace the cars with electric ones, to start with.

My hope is that once the Fantasyland expansion is over, they'll look at a Tomorrowland revamp. Rip out all the 1990's rainbow-colored clutter and give us a more streamlined concept, with a cleaner Speedway.

Mixed feelings here. Kids are always dying to do this ride (hence the long line), but once they do it, they usually feel they don't ever need to wait in a long line for that again. So if they would update it so that the cars are a bit more exciting to drive, it might work.

I could really go either way.

Me not so much. It was one of our first rides on our first full day at isney this past December. Getting out of the ride I caught my foot on the car and fell flat as a pancake on the hard cement. Now seven months later, I finally can straighten my arm without pain. It was not my best moment at Disney. :eek:

But it gave my daughter a memory she will never forget. Even though it is not my favorite, I would hate to see it go away. Be updated, yes, but go away no.

My kids love this ride and they are 11 and 14. On our trip this year, they requested to ride this one over and over - I would say it was their 2nd favorite behind Space Mountain. It would be nice to get an upgrade but it should not be removed!

I know that it is horrible for the environment and for my and my family's lungs, but I love the smell of those diesel engines. Maybe if they switched to electric they could simulate the smell. And the noise.

Retire it?? Absolutely not.....upgrade, yes. As for removing Tomorrowland...not gonna happen...that was Walt's creation

I don't know that I'd like to see the ride removed. But I would really like to see them switch to electric powered cars.

This, exactly. It's not much fun as an adult, but it's great for the kids and certainly has a role. It is ironic, however, that something named after Tomorrowland would be so horribly behind the times from a tech standpoint. The cars are loud, smell terrible, and are very much the vehicles of the past. An upgrade to electric cars is an obvious change that really needs to happen, and the idea to use it as an opportunity to bring the Cars characters into the park is a great one.

Oh, gosh, no.

I don't personally like it, but many kids LOVE it. They want to ride it over and over. For some, it is their favorite thing in the MK.

Knowing how much kids like it, I could never vote for its retirement.

This.

Sometimes adults need to take one for the team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter