Tips to share on not getting Covid while at WDW?

We went in July of ‘21, Christmas of ‘21, February of ‘22 & April of ‘22. We did not get Covid, and have never had Covid. We:
1. Wore a mask indoors at **all** times; (N95’s or well-fitting KN-95’s).
2. Wore a mask outdoors if stuck in a crowd;
3. Ate all our meals outdoors or in our room;
4. Did not use an airplane;
5. Carried around antibacterial hand wipes and wiped everyone’s hands after every ride;
6. We did not take the buses, and preferred the ferry to the monorails where possible;
7. Carried around Clorox wipes and wiped down toilet seats, flushers, and door locks when using the bathroom;
8. We did not do indoor shows.
9. We bypassed the stretching room on Haunted Mansion.

We had a great time every trip. Good luck!

Most of this is my plan :)

I am going to Disneyland California as part of a longer trip to the West coast.

• Double masking, surgical and cloth in the airports and on the planes
  • Only removing my masks to eat and drink in the airports and on the planes
  • Wearing masks in all transport, public transport and car services
  • No eating or drinking indoors, restaurants specifically picked for outdoor seating
  • I have anti bac wipes and had sanitiser which I use before eating and drinking or removing my masks
  • In Disneyland no buffet restaurants
  • Keeping distance as much as possible while waiting in line.
  • Being conscious of crowds and areas where people are shoulder to shoulder and bunching up when not necessary
  • Wearing masks indoors and outdoors in Disneyland, only removing for eating and drinking.
  • I also have home tests with me and will test myself multiple times during the trip.

• wipe down door handles and all surfaces in your hotel room upon arrival.
  • every time upon entering hotel room, everybody takes shoes off and leaves by door.
I don't see the point of doing either of these, particularly of removing shoes, since we've known for over a year this virus is airborne. Removing shoes is a pleasant custom for keeping floors cleaner but hardly likely to reduce covid exposure.

Washing hands or using sanitizer often, especially before eating, makes more sense.

• wipe down door handles and all surfaces in your hotel room upon arrival.
  • every time upon entering hotel room, everybody takes shoes off and leaves by door.
I don't see the point of doing either of these, particularly of removing shoes, since we've known for over a year this virus is airborne. Removing shoes is a pleasant custom for keeping floors cleaner but hardly likely to reduce covid exposure.

Washing hands or using sanitizer often, especially before eating, makes more sense.

I agree. I travelled from Europe to Disneyland California back in January, when things were a lot different. I didnt wipe down the plane seats or tables, I didnt wipe down the surfaces in hotel rooms. For me it was more important to wash and sanitise my hands when I took of my mask before eating and drinking and to be careful about putting food or forks and spoons on surfaces.

In January I used the home tests every second day while in California and I didnt get Covid. I also used the tests every few days for 2 weeks after coming home and I didnt get Covid.

We used the same precautions as at home. We followed the recommendations that were given at the beginning, when vaccines were not available. Now we are vaccinated and boosted and feel very safe still following those guidelines. We feel that if people managed to net catch it while not vaccinated following those rules, we will be fine as vaccinated travellers.

1. Always wear a N95 mask when inside ( except for restaurants, then we take it of at the table)
2. Avoid touching our faces, especially the eyes.
3. Wash hands with soap and water before touching my face or anything I eat.
4. Wash hands with gel-sanitiser in between.
5. Kept on our N95 mask while on the plane, just took it of to down a glass of water every 2 hours. ( In the plane we felt unsafe, even with mask mandate, people didn't wear them at all or incorrectly. There was so much sneezing and coughing going on.)

Outside while standing in line, we didn't wear a mask the whole time, but we put in on for rollercoasters, because we were trying to avoid the droplets released by screaming people. ( Maybe this one was not necessary, but it was no bother for us)

We tested after our WDW stay and after our cruise and remained negative.:cool1:

Came home May 28th - tested positive May 31st. Daughter tested positive June 1st.
We are still dealing with it on May 12th. We are vaccinated and boosted.

I second all the above comments - masks, eat outside, avoid crowed indoor areas etc. Or just don't go.

There is no mask mandate at WDW nor on planes or in airports domestically. The pre testing or proof of recovery to enter the U.S. was dropped yesterday.

Currently we are back to pre COVID precautions i.e. wash your hands, don't cough on others, stay home if you are sick and/or away from sick people. We do test if displaying any symptoms.

Last edited:
We were at WDW in March and again in May and neither of us caught covid.

Many posters have already given valuable advice. One thing I will mention, is that no one said anything to us about wearing our masks when everyone around us was unmasked. So there's no need to be concerned about that.

We have KN94 masks (we found very comfortable ones and I seem to be allergic to the N95 masks I've tried) and wore them in the airport, on the airplane, and in any vehicle (rideshare, bus, monorail, skyliner) except boats, unless crowded.

We wore our masks always indoors and in very crowded situations outdoors. We carry hand sanitizer with us, use it a lot, and use Disney's hand sanitizer stations when available. They are still often available.

I do in fact wipe down the airplane seats, armrests, windowshades, tray, and pocket (although NEVER use the pocket--it's the most germ-ridden place on any airplane). Even though covid is very rarely transmissible this way, plenty of other viruses are, and I have a better-safe-than-sorry policy about that as I used to come home from nearly every Disney trip with some kind of virus. Now I never do.

One other thing: if by vaxxed and boosted you mean one booster, get the 2nd booster. The current covid vaccines lose effectiveness after a few months and for our May trip, we both got our 2nd booster 2 or 3 weeks ahead of the trip. I think this may have made a big difference.

If you were boosted in January, then you should get another booster about 2 or 3 weeks before your trip.

If you are hugely concerned, do not fly. I'd guess that 90% of the people on both my flights were not wearing masks and many of them were coughing. If you have to fly, board as late as possible, since the air filtration system isn't activated until the plane's engines are turned on.

BTW, we ate both outdoors and indoors.

One other thing: if by vaxxed and boosted you mean one booster, get the 2nd booster. The current covid vaccines lose effectiveness after a few months and for our May trip, we both got our 2nd booster 2 or 3 weeks ahead of the trip. I think this may have made a big difference.

If you were boosted in January, then you should get another booster about 2 or 3 weeks before your trip.
That isn’t always possible though. A lot of international visitors are at the hands of their government. Like I would LOVE to have had my 2nd booster before we fly out on Sunday and would feel a lot more confident having had it but the U.K. government, for example, aren’t letting anyone under 75 get their 2nd booster until this autumn unless immunosuppressed.

I mean, you can wear a mask, I guess.

It's really just something you can't do a whole lot to prevent at this point, except literally never leave your house.

I have been vaxxed and boosted (once), and have had over 30 visits to Disneyland since last September. We go on average every 5-7 days. I stopped masking when Disney lifted the requirement. Neither myself nor my 2 kids have caught covid yet. Our county is in a spike as well.

I guess I'm either really lucky or have some sort of super immunity. It's funny, though, I've had a cold like every 3 months since last January. It's never been covid (I get PCR tested due to regular contact with a high risk individual). Maybe all those colds is helping me with cross immunity?

That isn’t always possible though. A lot of international visitors are at the hands of their government. Like I would LOVE to have had my 2nd booster before we fly out on Sunday and would feel a lot more confident having had it but the U.K. government, for example, aren’t letting anyone under 75 get their 2nd booster until this autumn unless immunosuppressed.
Exactly. The same in Ireland. The 2nd booster is only available to the general public over 65 and to those under 65 in special circumstances. You have to wait to get called for the 2nd booster, either by the National Vaccine database or from your doctor.

Exactly. The same in Ireland. The 2nd booster is only available to the general public over 65 and to those under 65 in special circumstances. You have to wait to get called for the 2nd booster, either by the National Vaccine database or from your doctor.

It's the same here in America too. I'm a healthy 43 year old. Not eligible for a second booster here. You have to be high risk or over age 50. I got my booster the first week of December.

It's the same here in America too. I'm a healthy 43 year old. Not eligible for a second booster here. You have to be high risk or over age 50. I got my booster the first week of December.
Apologies, everyone. I didn't realize this was the case. Thanks to all of you for the info.

If you want to do as much as possible to avoid covid (or at least avoid getting really sick from covid), follow the directives we've been following all along:
Get vaccinated and stay current with boosters;
Mask;
Distance;
Wash wash wash your hands and keep them away from your face.
None of this is a miracle of prevention, just the best ways we know of to minimize your chance of contracting covid.

You can only take the recommended precautions above. We've been cautious, flew and stayed at Disney 3 times this winter, and managed fine. Have the N95 masks with you because they'll protect you more than the cloth masks. Put them on if you're in a crowded situation or indoor situation where you feel you can use a bit more protection. The last thing I would worry about is someone commenting on you wearing a mask. For the near future, we'll continue to wear a mask at the airport and on the planes - even before Covid, we'd often have some sort of sickness after being in the airport or on the plane. For as much as the airlines keep telling us the airflow is so great on planes, many of us know how often we'd get sick from the flights in the past. But while masking, we didn't get sick! We prefer to not get sick, whether it's Covid or not. So go prepared, mask up when you're in crowds, eat outdoors when you can, and enjoy some time at Disney (and hopefully feel just a tad more normal after the last 2 1/2 years)! Doing all this will minimize your risk, not remove it. Be safe.

good luck I have a child in day care who comes home and decides to share with daddy all his wonderful germs lol so the only advise I can give you is wash wash wash wash wash your hands and take nice hot showers snd ensure your taking your vitamins!

If you are fully vaxed and boosted and are willing to wear masks (N95 or better) than all you have to do is wear the masks and stay as socially distant as you can. Besides not going, or not standing in lines, with others, there is nothing else you can do. Again on the masks you need an N95 or better rated mask to have a level of protection, especially if you are going to be in lines and closer than 6 feet to others. Cloth masks provide little more than a false sense of security, especially if not socially distanced or in confined spaces with others for more than 5 minutes at a time (virtually everywhere in WDW). Up to you but I'd say take your trip and just do what you can to keep yourself and your family safe.

We are in our 70s and have all the shots available. We have been on two cruises this year including the transatlantic. We have been to DW last March for 2 weeks. Didn’t wear masks anywhere. I’m not saying I think covid is over, but we are healthy and I’ve decided not to Worry about it. We did have Omicron in January which we got from our daughter. It lasted 2 to 3 days. A minor cold. I’ve had far worse colds. I know we are lucky.

good luck I have a child in day care who comes home and decides to share with daddy all his wonderful germs lol so the only advise I can give you is wash wash wash wash wash your hands and take nice hot showers snd ensure your taking your vitamins!

Agreed vitamin C and D and washing and sanitizing your hands regularly will also provide added protection. I forgot these in my previous post.

Thank you so much everyone! I feel I’m so lucky to be part of this Disney family as many of you are very kind and supportive ❤️. I will take all your tips to heart 😊😊.

I agree the way to guarantee you don't get it is, don't go. But to limit exposure, wear a well-fitting mask at least KN95 but preferably N95, stay as far away from others as possible, and do all your dining outdoors.

I've been a few times since November 2020 with everything from masks required everywhere, even outdoors, massive spacing in indoor restaurants and no inside seating for QS, to no masks and no spacing whatsoever. the last time, I might have worn a mask on the bus, but that was it. As far as I know I never got it. with Covid I suppose it's possible I could have had it without knowing I had it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter