• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TIPS: Star Wars Weekends 2011

On to my last report and my overall experience with SWW this year:
Characters: same as last year, and still , how hard is it to build a little canopy for them? 90% of them were in direct sunlight, I just never understand that. I would walk past poor Amidala and cringe. :confused3

Merchandise: not at all impressed. I didn't really like this years logo and it was only on a couple of items, they didn't even make the baseball cap as they've done in the past.

I agree!!! DSis wore her SWW t-shirt from a few years ago - had Leia Minnie and Mickey and says "Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper". DSis got a lot of compliments and planned to get another t-shirt but didn't like this year's selections.

P6030242.jpg

Darth Vader cupcake- dark chocolate with a white chocolate Darth Vader topper. The frosting was chocolate with a layer of peanut butter under and the cake had a chocolate-peanut butter fudgy center.

How was this not mentioned sooner?

I got the cupcake a couple of times but really wasn't that impressed with it. I only got it bc my boys couldn't pick it for their dessert so I got it to share with them.

Hello all we are finally back from our trip and so sad to say that I didnt run into any of you guys. I was not happy with SWW merchandise.......:confused3:confused3 everything was gone when it was gone and that was it. NOT COOL DISNEY...NOT COOL!:sad2::sad2:

First off thanks for all the advice it really made or day.

We got there on Friday at 7:30 based on the advice here. Got a fastpass for Tom Kane autograph and got in at 8:00. We were 2nd in line at the gate to get in. Signed up for JTA and PMC, rode star tours 3 times all before 9am. My son (age 6) LOVED JTA and star tours. He got to fight Vader and it made his week. He chickened out of PMC because he is young and doesn't like being in front of crowds. My family love Hoopla, I just wished it was in the amphitheater because it was really hard to see and we were close. the front five rows were all adults standing and no kids could see anything.

My son won't take off his Jedi robe now! :-)

Here are some videos that I took:
James Arnold Taylor's full show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFWVYbygGFo
Stormtroopers pre-show Stars of the Saga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bzn3HMIe0w
Ray Parks goofing around dancing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB1DpFSGIVg
James Arnold Taylor, Peter Mayhew and Ray Park signing Mickey Mouse Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3-jJVkX5o

Yulilin3,

Thank you for posting your videos on youtube. As I have posted previously, my son has been blessed with Asperger's Autism. WDW has been our vacation destination since 2004 because at Disney World, he doesn’t have to hold back his excitement and Aspie ways. No one stares when he shreeks with delight or jumps up and down with true happiness. He is just one of the many children having fun.

My first favorite memory of our SWW trip was seeing my son interact with Ray Park. My second favorite was the first time we were in queue for Star Tours. We were at the big screen and the voice said something to the effect, "visit Alderaan recently voted the safest planet in the universe." DS just stood there laughing. I asked him what was so funny. He said, "Dad that’s the planet that the Deathstar disintegrated." I thought to myself duh why I didn’t know that. :rotfl2:

All my son talks about is "when we go back next year." We were in line for autographs early every morning and had to take a break everyday to go back to our resort for a swim or just for some down time, so we didn't get to any of the shows.

After watching your videos, I realize that we have to go back next year. He would love to see the shows. I just love seeing his smile in the pictures from our visit.

We will be spending an entire week at WDW again in September. Maybe we will bump into you or your husband.

Only 81 more days until we return!!!

Thank you again to everyone for helping to make our first SWW a memory that will last a lifetime.

Leaving Studios at 8 p.m. on Friday night. This woman was waiting for the opening of Star Wars Saturday.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

everything was gone when it was gone and that was it. NOT COOL DISNEY...NOT COOL!:sad2::sad2:
I don't understand. When something's sold out, it's sold out. Do you want mice in the backroom making more? If you're not happy with the choices, I understand, but having something sold out "isn't cool"?:confused3

Sorry, just don't get it.

Yulilin3,

Thank you for posting your videos on youtube. As I have posted previously, my son has been blessed with Asperger's Autism. WDW has been our vacation destination since 2004 because at Disney World, he doesn’t have to hold back his excitement and Aspie ways. No one stares when he shreeks with delight or jumps up and down with true happiness. He is just one of the many children having fun.

My first favorite memory of our SWW trip was seeing my son interact with Ray Park. My second favorite was the first time we were in queue for Star Tours. We were at the big screen and the voice said something to the effect, "visit Alderaan recently voted the safest planet in the universe." DS just stood there laughing. I asked him what was so funny. He said, "Dad that’s the planet that the Deathstar disintegrated." I thought to myself duh why I didn’t know that. :rotfl2:

All my son talks about is "when we go back next year." We were in line for autographs early every morning and had to take a break everyday to go back to our resort for a swim or just for some down time, so we didn't get to any of the shows.

After watching your videos, I realize that we have to go back next year. He would love to see the shows. I just love seeing his smile in the pictures from our visit.

We will be spending an entire week at WDW again in September. Maybe we will bump into you or your husband.

Only 81 more days until we return!!!

Thank you again to everyone for helping to make our first SWW a memory that will last a lifetime.

I'm glad you liked the videos; here's another one. it's the stormtroopers on the roof of the entrance of DHS, after they have opened the park they stay there for a good hour, here are their skits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8lyOjf3MSU
WDW is a great place for everyone, that's why I like it so much, my 2 kids have learned to respect and appreciate everyone for who they are by going to WDW and seeing that even though some people migt look different or behave different we are all the same and we all deserve respect and kindness. So happy you and your son had an opportunity to enjoy it so much. They also said in that ST spiel :"Alderaan voted the safest planet in the galaxy" :lmao:

I don't understand. When something's sold out, it's sold out. Do you want mice in the backroom making more? If you're not happy with the choices, I understand, but having something sold out "isn't cool"?:confused3

Sorry, just don't get it.

sorry u dont get it but my post was to the fact that everything was put out and not saved or held back for people that cant come the first weekend. it should be some saved for each weekend so everyone has a chance to get it as well.

sorry u dont get it but my post was to the fact that everything was put out and not saved or held back for people that cant come the first weekend. it should be some saved for each weekend so everyone has a chance to get it as well.

There was stuff put back for the first 3 weekends but I think there was a lot more people the 2nd & 3rd weekend than they planned on and when they have people asking for stuff that they know is there, I'm sure it just got sold. I'm sorry you didn't get what you needed. I know how disappointing it can be to miss out on something you want.

I get your point. Thanks for the explanation. But here's my question... how many items should be held back for the later weeks? It's a gamble on Disney's part. If you hold things back you take the chance of not selling them. Then you lose money.

I think it would be a good idea (and maybe they do this) that some merchandise ONLY sells weekend 1, some ONLY weekend 2, etc, etc. After everything is over, then move it to DTD or online.

I thought that was the way they did it. I didnt get to go this year but have been to five previous SWW. All weekends had the same general merch when it came to shirts, hats, posters, pins, figures, all that kinda stuff. However each weekend would have something exclusive to it and limited addition. What immedaitely comes to mind are pins and Big Figs. They always sold out on the first day, usually in the morning.

There was stuff put back for the first 3 weekends but I think there was a lot more people the 2nd & 3rd weekend than they planned on and when they have people asking for stuff that they know is there, I'm sure it just got sold. I'm sorry you didn't get what you needed. I know how disappointing it can be to miss out on something you want.

I get your point. Thanks for the explanation. But here's my question... how many items should be held back for the later weeks? It's a gamble on Disney's part. If you hold things back you take the chance of not selling them. Then you lose money.

I think it would be a good idea (and maybe they do this) that some merchandise ONLY sells weekend 1, some ONLY weekend 2, etc, etc. After everything is over, then move it to DTD or online.

I thought that was the way they did it. I didnt get to go this year but have been to five previous SWW. All weekends had the same general merch when it came to shirts, hats, posters, pins, figures, all that kinda stuff. However each weekend would have something exclusive to it and limited addition. What immedaitely comes to mind are pins and Big Figs. They always sold out on the first day, usually in the morning.

Our family went the 3rd and 4th weekends and went the first thing each friday of the start of the weekend event for star wars vinylmations and the darth vader cup. I was told they didnt have any werent getting anymore and sorry. I do understand Disney wanting to get things sold and not having excess sitting there. But with the Vinylmations they knew they were going to sell out so why put everything out so people coming on the other weekends dont get a chance at getting at least one. My thought was if they have 20 of a product put five out at the begining of each weekend so people that cant come at the 1st or so weekends can get stuff too.

It's water under the bridge..I cant do anything about it. I will not get my hopes up about these kinds of things again. But we did have a good time and glad that everyone else did as well.

Our family went the 3rd and 4th weekends and went the first thing each friday of the start of the weekend event for star wars vinylmations and the darth vader cup. I was told they didnt have any werent getting anymore and sorry. I do understand Disney wanting to get things sold and not having excess sitting there. But with the Vinylmations they knew they were going to sell out so why put everything out so people coming on the other weekends dont get a chance at getting at least one. My thought was if they have 20 of a product put five out at the begining of each weekend so people that cant come at the 1st or so weekends can get stuff too.

It's water under the bridge..I cant do anything about it. I will not get my hopes up about these kinds of things again. But we did have a good time and glad that everyone else did as well.

I don't want to pour salt in your wound, but where were you looking for the SW Vinylmations? We were there on weekend 3, and on Friday there was a large stock of them at Jabba's Hut, the temporary SWW store they had over behind RnRC.

I don't want to pour salt in your wound, but where were you looking for the SW Vinylmations? We were there on weekend 3, and on Friday there was a large stock of them at Jabba's Hut, the temporary SWW store they had over behind RnRC.

yes I was looking for them...But when we went there were none and both weekends that we went.

It wasn't a large stock. It was just a big stack of them. The first weekend there were a TON of them, since we were 6 ppl we could of bought 12cases w/o taking all the cases available (we bought just 1 though! LOL). You were allowed 2 cases per person and then every time they opened a case for more loose ones, ppl would swoop in a literally snatch the chaser from the box before the CM could even touch it (counting from the bottom and the left, it's the 2nd row, 4th one over, the first 3 in the 2nd row are troopers). After that silliness, I'm assuming that's why the cases were pre-broken out and it was just loose boxes stacked up.

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for all of the great tips and info from the Star Wars Weekends veterans.

We went on the final Friday. All my husband and daughter wanted to do was see the park opening skit, ride Star Tours as many times as they could, watch the parade, and see the Hyperspace Hoopla. Easy enough.

We took a cab from the Polynesian on Friday morning (best $15 we spent for time and hassle saved) and showed up just in time for the troopers to let us in. I loved how empty it was. My husband and daughter went to Star Tours while I meandered with my little one in her stroller to Toy Story. We got fastpasses and walked right on. We've never ridden it, and thought it was pretty fun.

I missed most of the parade due to being in the Baby Care Center and deciding to catch what I could at the last minute. I got a lot of pictures of the backs of the character's heads plus one or two good ones. As for the Hoopla, it terrified my daughter, so I took her behind the stage and watched the characters there. (I really liked this because the characters were taking pictures and signing autographs, and very few people were there.)

Also, thanks for the "people in yellow shirts knowing everything" tip. I couldn't find Vader, and the guys by Jabba's Hut showed me the (very long) way. Loved seeing Vader, by the way. It was a great time, and all of the info here really helped. I hope you don't mind a few pictures since it's only fair I share after enjoying everyone else's.

Park Opening
253830_1740596155440_1254761430_31532537_7456129_n.jpg

Can I have your autograph?
254470_1740598955510_1254761430_31532549_3937352_n.jpg

At least one good shot from the parade is better than none
248425_1740612555850_1254761430_31532602_6977762_n.jpg

The Stage. My husband said the view wasn't so bad as the show went on since the dads got tired of holding their kids up and on their shoulders.
254229_1751508508242_1254761430_31545698_7764374_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter