• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TIPS: Star Wars Weekends 2011

mom_to_2

Mouseketeer
:goodvibes Hello!! I noticed there was a SWW tips post for 2010....people posted helpful hints, useful info, etc. and then the original poster edited the first post to add all the info into that one convenient location. So....I have not seen a 2011 thread yet, so why don't we start one?! :woohoo: I have never been to SWW before, so I'm afraid I don't have anything to start us off with but the dates....I will add info to this post, however, as people add it to this thread.

:yoda:Star Wars Weekends:darth:
Disney's Hollywood Studios
May 20, 2011-June 12, 2011

Set your priorities and make a plan- you know we DISers like to plan (why else would we be here?!) :goodvibes

-View the times guides and info map before arriving (it's usually posted online days before the 1st weekend). Usually Disney doesn't release any info until the week before the first weekend (this year it would be probably around May 15) BUT you can see past maps and info on this site devoted to SWW http://sww.studioscentral.com/main/

-After looking at the info decide- realistically- what do you want to accomplish?

-Make a plan and see what is the most important thing you want to do during SWW, such as:
• Getting an autograph from a celeb?
• Jedi Training Academy (Jta)?
• Meeting characters?
• Parade?
• Shows?

-Make a list from most important to least. You cannot meet all the characters, see all the shows and get all the autographs in one day, that's why you should plan ahead.

Autographs/Characters: Each weekend that there are visiting celebs, Disney gives out FPs for the different times they are signing autographs, so you need a FP to be able to get an autograph.
• One FP per person, so each person wanting a FP needs to be in line (including children).
• The celebs are supposed to only sign 1 item per person.
• FP are given out in the morning about an hour before park opens so you have to be in line early. For more popular celebs like Ray Park (Darth Maul) or last year’s Billy Dee Williams (Lando) we arrived around 5am and got a FP for his last session of the day. For other celebs like Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) you can get in line around 7 and you should be fine. And yes there are people that camp out the evening before starting the line around 6pm the night before. One poster said: “After talking to several people already in line, the earliest ones were there already since Thursday evening, and that was because Disney wouldn't let them come earlier than that!”
• **Tip** if you're going to try and get several celebrity autographs don't have stuff on you. With stuff you'll have to stop and go through the security line each time you're done with a fast pass line and believe me, those FP's go real quickly!

• **Tip** Check with the handlers on the times of the characters you may want to see. Sometimes there's only one line for several characters and characters will switch out unexpectedly. I try and time it to get in line 20-30 min. before a character I want to see shows up; it's hard though because with some characters the line goes fast and in others characters take their time.

• Warning: characters try to stay in character, so don't be disappointed if Darth Vader doesn't high five you or give you hugs. Minnie Leia will, though.

You DO NOT need a FP for SW characters that are around the park all day.

Parade: The parade is a big highlight. There are tons of SW characters, a motorcade with the visiting celebs and hosts, and the 501st Legion all dressed in their stormtrooper outfits. It's really great; it starts at the entrance of the park and ends at the Star Tours stage. Get a spot about 45min before. The parade has been at 11:40am in years past so it doesn't affect the 3pm parade. Also during the morning they pick kids at random (ages 4 to 11) to be a part in the parade, they give them a Jedi robe and lightsabers. **Tip** one poster said: “if you have a kid that wants in that parade, I'd make sure he/she does something to get noticed. My son was picked and I am certain it was because of his very Jedi like bow to Amidala. Some CMs were watching when he did it then called us over to ask him if he wanted to be in the parade. These CMs were dressed a little better than the normal ones. I assume they were some sort of management.”

Shows: In the past there have been 2 shows, (1) Clone Wars Behind the Force, which is all about the cartoon network series and is hosted by Ashley Eckstein, the voice of Ahsoka Tano and (2) Stars of the Saga a Q/A show with the 2 visiting celebs. This will be hosted by James Arnold Taylor, voice of Obi Wan Kenobi all 4 weekends. He will host the Q&A show as well as have a separate show. This has been done in the past at the Premiere Theater (by Mama Melrose Restaurant) Also other than the JTA there is a trivia contest for kids at the Star Tours Stage.

-Hyperspace Hoopla is the end celebration and you can watch several youtube videos of them from the past. Basically SW characters come out and dance to modern songs like Darth Vader dancing Thriller. It is VERY POPULAR and in years past they have done this at the Star Tours Stage, it's been so popular that's it's impossible to get a good view unless you stake out the spots for several hours before, it's standing room only and last year a friends of mine actually fainted in the middle of it because of the heat...we are hoping that this year they move it to the Hat Stage that we be more room to move around. But it's so cool!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdB0aCQ2RQ

-Another Show?? there will be a new show this year hosted by James Arnold Taylor, the voice of Obi Wan Kenobi. I don't have any additional details yet, but will post them when I do!

Photos/Photopass

Think of some cool poses. I liked the ones where people would grab their throats while Darth Vader pretended to use the Force to "throttle" them. The kids brought their light sabers and those were also neat to use and pose with.

People watch. Geeks are in their element and those dressed up love to show off. Oh my, we saw an Australian group all decked out as Darth Maul's buddies, light sabers and all, and we got pics with them. That was cool!

The photopass CD is fantastic for these events. The Star Wars borders are amazing and so much fun. The photopass photographers were everywhere and I definitely got my money's worth pre-ordering the CD for this.

The have photopass photographers for all the characters that have a set spot, like Minnie Leia, Darth Goofy, Stormtrooper Donald, Jedi Mickey, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Bobba and Jango Fett, Ahsoka, Assajj, Master Windu, Amidala, etc... but there aren't any photographers for the roaming characters, like Aurra Sing, Stormtroopers, Jawas, clone troopers...

If you find a photopass photographer hanging around the Jedi Academy with his/her own light saber, see if he/she can do a Magic Shot with you; the one with Darth Vader battling you! (They'll lend you their light saber for this pose)

Dress the part!!

This does not necessarily mean dressing up in your fave SW characters- although you can do that as Disney allows people in SW costumes during SWW- but remember it is hot and humid during May and June, so plan accordingly. If you or any in your family wants to dress up bring a change of clothes in case that Darth Vader costume gets too hot and sticky.

Meals

Definitely make your ADR's. Consider the park a crowd level of "9" and adjust accordingly.

Hydrate!!!

Drink plenty of water: You don't know how many people forget this one!! and then they start dropping like flies.

It gets really hot. Water bottles/mister fans really are lifesavers. And if you “accidentally squirt someone in line, they tend to welcome it.

Tip: Umm, gummy and chocolate snacks (chocolate covered granola bars, M&M's) don't do really well in the heat.

Patience is a virtue

It's crowded and it seems everyone wants to see and do the same things you do...so breathe, and don't let yourself get all bothered by it.

Take a Break

While you might just want to go from one thing to the next it is a good idea to take a 10 to 30 minute break in an A/C area (one suggestion is to go inside the Backlot Express right next to the Star Tours Stage).

Enjoy yourself- you’re at DISNEY!!! :wizard:

Let your inner geek come out, don't worry you won't be alone!! Enjoy!!!

I could write a book on SWW tips and tricks, my family and I have attended for the past 8 years every weekend, but I'll summorize as best I can and is anyone has specific questions I'll be happy to answer them.
1.- Prioritize:If possible see the times guides and info map before arriving (it's usually posted online days before the 1st weekend) what do you want to accomplish? Make a plan and see what is the most important thing you want to do during SWW. Is it getting an autograph from a celeb? Is it the Jedi Training Academy (Jta)? Is it meeting characters? and then make a list from most important to least.
2.- Be realistic: You cannot meet all the characters, see all the shows and get all the autographs in one day, that's why you should plan ahead.
3.- Dress the part: I don't mean dressing up in your fave SW characters although you can do that as Disney allows people in SW costumes during SWW...I mean it's hot and humid during May and June, so plan accordingly, if you or any in your family wants to dress up bring a change of clothes in case that Darth Vader costume gets too hot and sticky.
4.- Drink plenty of water: You don't know how many people forget this one!! and then they start dropping like flies.
5.- Pack your Patience: it's crowded and it seems everyone wants to see and do the same things you do...so breathe, and don't let yourself get all bothered by it.
6.- Take a break: you might just want to go from one thing to the next but just take a 10 to 30 minute break in an A/C area (we like to go inside the Backlot Express right next to the Star Tours Stage)
7.- Have Fun: let your inner geek come out, don't worry you won't be alone!! Enjoy!!!
As I thought I went long and still didn't cover celeb autographs, SW parade or Hyperspace Hoopla...but as I said just let me know if you have any questions and of course: May The Force Be With You

This will be our first SWW as well and the famz is all geeked out in antici.... pation!!!

This is our first time too my boys are so excited the want to see the characters parade and JTA so we will cross our fingers and just go with the flow can't wait

Thanks yulilin3!!* I will update the initial post later (hard to do from my iphone!) but I have several questions...with probably more later!* Hahaha.* Anyway:
1.* Where can you find the times guide ahead of time?
2. Is there a map you can get somewhere ahead of time to show who/what is where?
3.* Shows???* Meaning there are special Star Wars shows????
4.* How do the autographs work?* I think I read somewhere you need fast passes for them???? :confused* Is it for the Disney characters, too, or just the actors, etc., that they bring in for the event?
5.* parade...is it different???
6.* Hyperspace hoopla????????????* What is this?????????*
See....you might have thought I was kidding when I said I didn't know anything about SWW!* :-)

Thanks yulilin3!!* I will update the initial post later (hard to do from my iphone!) but I have several questions...with probably more later!* Hahaha.* Anyway:
1.* Where can you find the times guide ahead of time?
2. Is there a map you can get somewhere ahead of time to show who/what is where?
3.* Shows???* Meaning there are special Star Wars shows????
4.* How do the autographs work?* I think I read somewhere you need fast passes for them???? :confused* Is it for the Disney characters, too, or just the actors, etc., that they bring in for the event?
5.* parade...is it different???
6.* Hyperspace hoopla????????????* What is this?????????*
See....you might have thought I was kidding when I said I didn't know anything about SWW!* :-)

1 and 2: Usually Disney doesn't release any info until the week before the first weekend (this year it would be probably around May 15) but you can see past maps and info on this site devouted to SWW http://sww.studioscentral.com/main/
3.- In the past there has been 2 shows Clone Wars Behind the Force all about the cartoon network series hosted by Ashley Eckstein voice of Ahsoka Tano and Stars of the Saga a Q/A show with the 2 visiting celebs. This has been done in the past at the Premiere Theater (by Mama Melore Restaurant) Also other than the JTA there is a trivia contest for kids at the Star Tours Stage.
4.- Fp's is always a big question and here's how they work. Each weekend there are visiting celebs, Disney gives out Fp's for the different times they are signing autographs, so you need a FP to be able to get an autograph. One FP per person, so each person wanting a FP needs to be in line. Here's the tricky part...these FP are given out in the morning about an hour before park opens so you have to be in line early. For more popular celebs like Ray Park (Darth Maul) or last years Billy Dee Williams (Lando) we arrived around 5am and got a Fp for his last session of the day. For other celebs like Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) you can get in line around 7 and you should be fine. And yes there are people that camp out the evening before starting the line around 6pm the night before.
You DO NOT need a fp for SW characters that are around the park all day.
5.- The parade is a big highlight. There are tons of SW characters, a motorcade with the visiting celebs and hos and the 501st Legion all dressed in their stormtrooper outfits. It's really great, it starts at the entrance of the park and ends at the Star Tours stage. Get a spot about 45min before. The parade has been at 11:40am in years past so it doesn't affect the 3pm parade. Also during the morning they pick kids at random (ages 4 to 11) to be a part in the parade, they give them a Jedi robe and lightsabers.
6.- Hyperspace Hoopla is my favorite part of the day, it's the end celebration and you can watch several youtube videos of them from the past. Basically SW characters come out and dance to modern songs like Darth Vader dancing Thriller. It is VERY POPULAR and in years past they have done this at the Star Tours Stage, it's been so popular that's it's impossible to get a good view unless you stake out the spots for several hours before, it's standing room only and last year a friends of mine actually fainted in the middle of it because of the heat...we are hoping that this year they move it to the Hat Stage that we be more room to move around. But it's so cool!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdB0aCQ2RQ
If any other questions pop up let me know.

We did the celebrity autographs. One I learned quickly is that if you're going to try and get several celebrity autographs don't have stuff on you. With stuff you'll have to stop and go through the security line each time you're done with a fast pass line and believe me, those FP's go real quickly!

The more rare the celebrity, the earlier you should get there. I thought 5 AM would be okay for Billie Dee Williams and barely got a hold of a standby. After talking to several people already in line, the earliest ones were there already since Thursday evening, and that was because Disney wouldn't let them come earlier than that!

Check with the handlers on the times of the characters you may want to see. Sometimes there's only one line for several characters and characters will switch out unexpectedly. I try and time it to get in line 20-30 min. before a character I want to see shows up; it's hard though because with some characters the line goes fast and in others characters take their time.

It gets really hot. Water bottles/mister fans really are lifesavers. And if you "accidentally" squirt someone in line, they tend to welcome it. :laughing:

Tip: Umm, gummy and chocolate snacks(chocolate covered granola bars, M&M's) don't do really well in the heat.:headache:

Definitely make your ADR's. Consider the park a crowd level of "9" and adjust accordingly. I can't say much for rides since we were there only for the Star Wars activities.

People watch. Geeks are in their element and those dressed up love to show off. Oh my, we saw an Australian group all decked out as Darth Maul's buddies, light sabers and all, and we got pics with them. That was cool!

Think of some cool poses. I liked the ones where people would grab their throats while Darth Vader pretended to use the Force to "throttle" them. The kids brought their light sabers and those were also neat to use and pose with.

Warning: characters try to stay in character, so don't be disappointed if Darth Vader doesn't high five you or give you hugs. Minnie Leia will, though.

The photopass CD is fantastic for these events. The Star Wars borders are amazing and so much fun. The photopass photographers were everywhere and I definitely got my money's worth pre-ordering the CD for this.
-If you find a photopass photographer hanging around the Jedi Academy with his/her own light saber, see if he/she can do a Magic Shot with you; the one with Darth Vader battling you! (They'll lend you their light saber for this pose)

If I think of anything else, I'll post again...:rolleyes1 And these were from our first time last year!

Great tips!!! The parade is awesome!!! I remember it from a few years ago. We're bringing our niece, and her family and arriving for a 5 day visit on the 22nd. We were just gonna check into the resort and relax, but SWW that day is making us change our plans. I had no problem getting a 6:30 ADR for Sci Fi dinner, so there may still be some ADR's to be had. :) Enjoy, and have fun!!!!

1 and 2: Usually Disney doesn't release any info until the week before the first weekend (this year it would be probably around May 15) but you can see past maps and info on this site devouted to SWW http://sww.studioscentral.com/main/
3.- In the past there has been 2 shows Clone Wars Behind the Force all about the cartoon network series hosted by Ashley Eckstein voice of Ahsoka Tano and Stars of the Saga a Q/A show with the 2 visiting celebs. This has been done in the past at the Premiere Theater (by Mama Melore Restaurant) Also other than the JTA there is a trivia contest for kids at the Star Tours Stage.
4.- Fp's is always a big question and here's how they work. Each weekend there are visiting celebs, Disney gives out Fp's for the different times they are signing autographs, so you need a FP to be able to get an autograph. One FP per person, so each person wanting a FP needs to be in line. Here's the tricky part...these FP are given out in the morning about an hour before park opens so you have to be in line early. For more popular celebs like Ray Park (Darth Maul) or last years Billy Dee Williams (Lando) we arrived around 5am and got a Fp for his last session of the day. For other celebs like Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) you can get in line around 7 and you should be fine. And yes there are people that camp out the evening before starting the line around 6pm the night before.
You DO NOT need a fp for SW characters that are around the park all day.
5.- The parade is a big highlight. There are tons of SW characters, a motorcade with the visiting celebs and hos and the 501st Legion all dressed in their stormtrooper outfits. It's really great, it starts at the entrance of the park and ends at the Star Tours stage. Get a spot about 45min before. The parade has been at 11:40am in years past so it doesn't affect the 3pm parade. Also during the morning they pick kids at random (ages 4 to 11) to be a part in the parade, they give them a Jedi robe and lightsabers.
6.- Hyperspace Hoopla is my favorite part of the day, it's the end celebration and you can watch several youtube videos of them from the past. Basically SW characters come out and dance to modern songs like Darth Vader dancing Thriller. It is VERY POPULAR and in years past they have done this at the Star Tours Stage, it's been so popular that's it's impossible to get a good view unless you stake out the spots for several hours before, it's standing room only and last year a friends of mine actually fainted in the middle of it because of the heat...we are hoping that this year they move it to the Hat Stage that we be more room to move around. But it's so cool!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdB0aCQ2RQ
If any other questions pop up let me know.

As to point 5 if you have a kid that wants in that parade, I'd make sure he/she does something to get noticed. My son was picked and I am certain it was because of his very Jedi like bow to Amidala. Some CMs were watching when he did it then called us over to ask him if he wanted to be in the parade. These CMs were dressed a little better than the normal ones. I assume they were some sort of management.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to this weekend.

You can only meet a celebrity if you have a fast pass. That means your kids will not be allowed to come with you unless they have a fast pass, however, they can stand in front of the celebrity tent and take pictures and talk from there. You are separated by a half wall and you are right in front of them.

To give you an idea of how close you are, one year my dd (4 at the time) was standing with me while dh and ds were meeting Daniel Logan. She pointed to the Star Wars picture of him from the movie and said, "He is a bad boy." :rotfl2: and Daniel heard her. He said to her, "Sweetie, that's just in the movie." :rotfl2:

The celebs are supposed to only sign 1 item per person.

Last year, they said all the kids in the parade were the ones who did the Jedi Training academy.

The parade is lots of fun. Last year, one of the celebs in the parade (I think it was Jeremy Bulloch) had his camera and was taking pictures of us.

Just wanted to point out that they do not start giving out the celebrity fp's until 9am. Not an hour before the park opens - either right at opening or an hour after if its emh day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter