• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping in 2008 - Dining plan and buffets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assuming we are suppossed to infer that you are the exception to the stereotype rule? Why weren't you working at better places than these glorious establishments? Lazy, or you can't? :rotfl:

Hmm, I started out in high school bagging groceries because thats where my friends worked. I made about $110 a week. A friends girlfriend worked at Denny's as I mentioned in this thread. Once I saw she could make 1/3rd my paycheck in one shift, I put my two weeks notice in. I worked at Dennys for about 2 months, before I got sick of the people(both employees and guests), and decided to upgrade. Thats when I started at Olive Garden. I made more money, and liked the place. About 6-7 months in, I quit due to a change in management. I then went to Apple Bees. I made more money there, and had fun. I did that for about 2 years(yes, laziness, but making $50-70 a night for someone in high school/college isn't bad). My grandparents then talked me into applying at a local steak and seafood place that was their favorite restaurant. It was about a $30 a plate restaurant. Add in some drinks(wine of cocktails), and the bills could get pretty high. That place had a lot of business people, doctors, lawyers, etc. I could make about $150 a night if we were busy. I did that for about 3 years through college until I graduated and got a real job.

Hmm, I started out in high school bagging groceries because thats where my friends worked. I made about $110 a week. A friends girlfriend worked at Denny's as I mentioned in this thread. Once I saw she could make 1/3rd my paycheck in one shift, I put my two weeks notice in. I worked at Denny's for about 2 months, before I got sick of the people(both employees and guests), and decided to upgrade. Thats when I started at Olive Garden. I made more money, and liked the place. About 6-7 months in, I quit due to a change in management. I then went to Apple Bees. I made more money there, and had fun. I did that for about 2 years(yes, laziness, but making $50-70 a night for someone in high school/college isn't bad). My grandparents then talked me into applying at a local steak and seafood place that was their favorite restaurant. It was about a $30 a plate restaurant. Add in some drinks(wine of cocktails), and the bills could get pretty high. That place had a lot of business people, doctors, lawyers, etc. I could make about $150 a night if we were busy. I did that for about 3 years through college until I graduated and got a real job.

I am sure you are a really nice guy.. In saying this how do you know someone only makes 50.00 a night at Denny's? I don't work at Denny's but I know at my place of business on a weekend we have people wrapped around the door outside waiting to get inside. I am running around all day long servings hundreds of guest. And on a busy Saturday I can make 150.00. Now I don't think I would call that being lazy because I prefer to work at a pancake house instead of a high class steak house. I prefer the low key kind of restaurant serving the average Joe, I will tell you we have little turnover. We are like a big family and I work with some awesome people. Now we have had the few odd ones and the ones with a bit of trouble behind there belt. But they never seem to work out and leave after only a short time. Also I would rather see people working then sitting home collecting government checks. Now that is another story in itself. A real job, please please tell me you are joking. You mean a different job that you like better, not that serving tables is not a real job. Thanks its been fun..I hope this gets back on topic before it gets shut down.

A real job, please please tell me you are joking. You mean a different job that you like better, not that serving tables is not a real job.

Um, its called full insurance(medical, dental, and vision), 401K, retirement options, paid sick days, paid vacation time, all while making more money.

Um, its called full insurance(medical, dental, and vision), 401K, retirement options, paid sick days, paid vacation time, all while making more money.

This is coming from my heart really, I am glad for you. I would not pass it up either. I am hoping for this when my youngest enters school next year. Right now my husband has the insurance so we are okay. But I still would not dog servers if that is what they choose for a life long career, even if that is not what I choose to do.

I am sure you are a really nice guy.. In saying this how do you know someone only makes 50.00 a night at Denny's? I don't work at Denny's but I know at my place of business on a weekend we have people wrapped around the door outside waiting to get inside. I am running around all day long servings hundreds of guest. And on a busy Saturday I can make 150.00. Now I don't think I would call that being lazy because I prefer to work at a pancake house instead of a high class steak house. I prefer the low key kind of restaurant serving the average Joe, I will tell you we have little turnover. We are like a big family and I work with some awesome people. Now we have had the few odd ones and the ones with a bit of trouble behind there belt. But they never seem to work out and leave after only a short time. Also I would rather see people working then sitting home collecting government checks. Now that is another story in itself. A real job, please please tell me you are joking. You mean a different job that you like better, not that serving tables is not a real job. Thanks its been fun..I hope this gets back on topic before it gets shut down.

I was raised to believe that there is no job beneath me! An honest job is nothing to be ashamed of.....whatever job you have......just be the best you can be at it. I think some "guys" are insecure and can only feel important if they berate others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter