TimandLesley's "Keep Moving Forward" Trip Report with TONS of photos! update 7/8pg.11

timandlesley

<font color=darkorchid>The tag fairy may not but t
Hello again from the Tim and Lesley crew!!! If you haven’t read our trip reports before (I’ve been writing them on here since the kids were itty bitty) please check out some of the links in my signature.
The cast of characters are myself (Lesley) and my amazing husband (Tim) and our two Disney obsessed children who are growing up WAY to fast for my taste: Luke (11) and Lauren (8) .
This trip did not start off as planned AT ALL. I’m a teacher and Tim is a substitute in my building so we couldn’t leave until Friday after school. We had the car all packed up and we headed out with Disney on our minds from our Northern Cincinnati home and were prepared for a LONG drive. It was raining and the highway was PACKED with Spring Break travelers. We made it about an hour into Kentucky and the rain was heavy, Tim was only going about 40 mph in the fast lane and he said “OH MY GOD!” and the car hydroplaned and we CRASHED hard into the car in the center lane causing us to do a 180 facing oncoming traffic and CRASHING into the median wall and Tim screamed “God help us!” I remember looking down at my feet and thinking “we are going to die” not knowing what car would slam into us from the oncoming traffic. The airbags deployed and Tim and I screamed as they came flying out at us. I’ve never had airbags deploy but when they do they SMOKE and it smells like an intense burning smell. Luke from the backseat started screaming “THE CAR IS ON FIRE!!” That sent me into a panic thinking the car was going to blow up so I quickly tried to exit the vehicle and I had a hard time since my door was smashed against the median wall. I managed to squeeze out and in my panic, tried to get the kids out of the backseat and I slammed my finger in the door, OUCH! All of a sudden we were standing SAFELY on the side of the road in the pouring rain. There were amazing caring individuals seeing if we were o.k. and helping us calm the kids down. I kept saying “it’s a miracle, the Lord protected us” I couldn’t believe we were o.k.!!! They shut the highway down, EMS and fire arrived and before I knew it we were on the side of the road watching it all happen:
photo3.jpg

The first words out of Lauren’s mouth was “how are we going to get to Disney???”
We made a ton of calls to insurance from the back of the police cruiser and we found out we could get a rental at the Cincinnati airport. The cop took us to the McDonalds and our brother n’ law came to pick us up. We sat at McDonalds in shock as we waited for my brother n’ law to arrive, we called loved ones and reported in, still so shaken up. I realized I had a big bruise on my arm from the seatbelt and my finger was really beaten up but we were o.k. There were some tears shed in that McDonalds as we held one another close, we knew this would be a Disney vacation like no other because were so so THANKFUL to be alive. Luke (MY BOY) looked up at me and said “mom, just like the quote from Meet the Robinsons and Walt Disney, we just have to “KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!” I love that boy, soooooooooo true and so we did!
We got the rental car (after waiting for a while for my brother n’ law and the long drive back to the airport). Once we got it we had to drive a ways to the tow yard to get all of the stuff from our old car for the trip. I snapped a few photo’s of the car as Tim packed stuff into our new rental vehicle:
photo2.jpg

My view from inside the car:
photo.jpg

When we got into the car and took off the song on the radio was “Stayin’ Alive”, UNBELIEVABLE, we all sang along loudly : )
We only drove for about 3 hours which took us until 2 a.m. and we stopped at a hotel in Tennessee. We woke up early the next morning and got in the car prepared for a LONG day in the car with Disney on our minds. We crossed the Florida line and we were SO excited!!
IMG_1607.jpg

We stopped at the Florida visitors center for our free orange and grapefruit juice samples, it never tasted so good.
Around dinner time we were in Orlando and we all had smiles plastered on our faces:
IMG_1614.jpg

We couldn’t believe we WERE HERE!!!!!!
IMG_1616.jpg

For this trip I had won a two night stay from my travel agency for being top agent in a sales contest and we could pick from any Disney hotel, we chose the Grand Floridian since we had never stayed there before and had always wanted to. We made our way through those beautiful gates to the Grand Floridian hotel:
IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

We checked in and were told our room was in Boca Chica and a nice guy from Bell Services showed us the way with our luggage and while he unloaded everything from the luggage cart to the golf cart we checked out the beautiful beach area:
IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

We made it to our room:
IMG_1626.jpg

The room was beautiful:
IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

I hadn’t done a lot of research on the room and was pleasantly surprised to be reminded they had a trundle bed, the kids were thrilled they’d have their own sleeping space:
IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Luke was thrilled they had a phone in the bathroom:
IMG_1634.jpg

Our view from the balcony (they were setting up for the evening movie by the pool):
IMG_1635.jpg

Again, we were just SO happy to be there!!!
IMG_1638.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST!

The kids taking it all in, such an amazing resort!
IMG_1639.jpg

We headed to the food court to get some dinner, we were starving. We were not on the dining plan for these first two nights of our stay. Since it was a room only reservation we couldn’t add it. We really didn’t get anything extravagant for dinner at ALL but it was $58.00 for the 4 of us for dinner, YIKES! Made us appreciate the dining plan, that’s for sure. We took it back and ate on the porch. Lauren wanted to swim and see the movie by the pool (tangled). Tim stayed in the room watching the Syracuse game and the kids and I hit the pool and the movie. Luke and I enjoyed playing some ping pong pool side.
Around 9:50 we headed over to the food court area where the guy from valet services told us we could see Wishes, it was a GREAT view of the fireworks:
IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

Then we went back to the room, got into our jammies:
IMG_1712.jpg

And we had a great nights sleep in those comfy Disney beds with visions of a day at the Magic Kingdom dancing in our heads!
NextEpisode32010640x480-1-2-1-1-2-3.gif

NEXT POST here: [/URL] http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44595987&posted=1#post44595987[URL}

Oh my word Lesley!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you guys were alright!!! I had no idea that happened and don't know if you put it on fb. Whew!!!
Airbags stink so bad! I had a bad wreck in 97 and my airbags shot out like a canon and it broke my left arm. I will never forget that smell! Eww

That room looks so nice at GF!!!

So excited to be reading along!

i don't post very often, but when I happened upon your trip report and read about your accident I just had to log in and comment. Thank God you all survived. It looked like a terrible accident. I don't know that I could have continued on after that. I hope you your vacation was wonderful. You all deserve it! Happy Easter!

I always enjoy your trip reports! What a scary start to this one! :eek: So glad you all came out of that ok and were able to get on with your trip! The GF is a great place to recover though. Looking forward to reading more!

LOVIN it already!!!! Did cry when I read about your horrible accident. God is there when we need him, your families safety is proof positive!!!! Oh how i love the GF, so many memories came flooding back when I saw the pics.
Can't wait for more Tim, Lesley, Luke and Lauren disney fun!!!:goodvibes

Joining in and HOLY COW!!!!!!
My DH would've said too bad, we're not going now. And I would've cried more about that than anything.
I am so glad you are safe and still made it to a fun trip. God was looking out for you!

I am SO glad that you all were okay!!! I am so glad too that I thought enough to say a prayer for your safety that afternoon when you had posted that you had left! I know all our prayers wrapped around the four of you and kept you safe!!! Praise God!

On a Disney note....OMG those rooms at GF are SO beautiful!!! What a way to start the trip after such a horrendous first day of driving!!! You deserved to be living it up in that lap of luxury!!!

Can't wait for more kiddo!!!

So SO glad that you guys are okay! Can't wait to hear about the rest of this trip!:cool1:

How scary! So glad you all are ok and able to continue on with your trip. I am enjoying you TR. The GF is an awesome hotel. One time we were scheduled to stay at the Yacht Club and our travel agent called a few days before we were to leave and asked if we minded being moved to the GF. Well, far be it from us to turn it down! It was fabulous. :)

Thank you for sharing. Anxious to hear more! Again, glad you are safe.

What a scary start to your trip! So glad you are all okay. Looking forward to your report.

Jumping in and hanging on for dear life!!!!!

I followed along on FB, so I knew of the terrible start to your trip. Even with that, reading everything made it sound so scary! So sorry you had to go through all that...

I hope that stay at the Grand Flo made you feel much better!

What a scary start to your trip. But I am so happy to hear you were okay and you made it to Disney.

Oh my!! How terribly frightening! :scared1: I can't even imagine. Thank goodness you were all ok and able to get on your way relatively quickly. I have to admit a little chuckle escaped when I heard Lauren's reaction was "how are we getting to Disney?" and wow, talk about some sage advice from Luke with "keep moving forward." :goodvibes

Congratulations on earning a prize through your agency! The GF sure does look beautiful. For whatever reason I have this impression that it is too "stuffy" for me but then I happen upon reports and pictures like yours and I start to question it. So pretty!

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

Lesley...did you at all get the feeling GF was too "stuffy"?? I know many feel that way but I've stayed there many times when we were able to afford it and I never got that feeling....and I don't feel I'm to good for other diz resorts, stayed at mods and even the downtown disney hotels which were all fine as well!:goodvibes

Oh my goodness! Thank God all of you walked away from that accident unharmed.

The room at the GF looks beautiful! Love the double sinks in the bathroom.

Can't wait to read more!

Sooooo glad that you all are okay! I've been following your TRs on here since the beginning - in fact, your reports when the kids were little were the FIRST that I ever followed! I used to drive my DH crazy calling him over ever five seconds to look at pics of your adorable kids!

When I read about your accident, I was holding my breath the whole time. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that at any time in your lives, let alone before a Disney trip. I know everyone here at the DIS would be devastated if anything happened to any of you! I'm not a particularly religious person, but I'm so glad you had someone watching out for you to keep you safe that day....AND you still made it to WDW with a whole new appreciation of each day that you have together!

Your first day at GF looks fabulous! We're more of a AKL/WL family, and my dream resort is Poly, but the pics from GF are amazing and everyone looks great! I hope this trip was filled with magical moments! Thanks again for sharing with all of us!

:wizard:

Oh my word Lesley!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you guys were alright!!! I had no idea that happened and don't know if you put it on fb. Whew!!!
Airbags stink so bad! I had a bad wreck in 97 and my airbags shot out like a canon and it broke my left arm. I will never forget that smell! Eww

That room looks so nice at GF!!!

So excited to be reading along!
Thanks, yes, I did post it on fb but those things get buried. Yes, they sure do stink, it's the worst. GF was AMAZING. Thanks for reading along and congrats again on the Mom's club, how cool!

i don't post very often, but when I happened upon your trip report and read about your accident I just had to log in and comment. Thank God you all survived. It looked like a terrible accident. I don't know that I could have continued on after that. I hope you your vacation was wonderful. You all deserve it! Happy Easter!

I always enjoy your trip reports! What a scary start to this one! :eek: So glad you all came out of that ok and were able to get on with your trip! The GF is a great place to recover though. Looking forward to reading more!
Thanks for coming along for another ride with us. Yes, quite the scary start for sure, GF was the PERFECT place to recover.

LOVIN it already!!!! Did cry when I read about your horrible accident. God is there when we need him, your families safety is proof positive!!!! Oh how i love the GF, so many memories came flooding back when I saw the pics.
Can't wait for more Tim, Lesley, Luke and Lauren disney fun!!!:goodvibes
So glad you are enjoying it, sorry to make you cry : ( Yes, the Lord protected us on this day that is for sure. GF is amazing, see for sure why you are such a fan now!

Joining in and HOLY COW!!!!!!
My DH would've said too bad, we're not going now. And I would've cried more about that than anything.
I am so glad you are safe and still made it to a fun trip. God was looking out for you!
You know Tim did look at me after and said "should we not go now?" and that was all we gave thought to not going, we knew we had to go and we are so glad we did, it was the perfect distraction from reality. We did have a great trip, thanks for reading along

I am SO glad that you all were okay!!! I am so glad too that I thought enough to say a prayer for your safety that afternoon when you had posted that you had left! I know all our prayers wrapped around the four of you and kept you safe!!! Praise God!

On a Disney note....OMG those rooms at GF are SO beautiful!!! What a way to start the trip after such a horrendous first day of driving!!! You deserved to be living it up in that lap of luxury!!!

Can't wait for more kiddo!!!
Thanks, thank you again for the prayers! They are SOOOOOOO beautiful Jen, you would just love them. Thanks!

So SO glad that you guys are okay! Can't wait to hear about the rest of this trip!:cool1:
Thank you! Thanks for coming along for the ride with us.
How scary! So glad you all are ok and able to continue on with your trip. I am enjoying you TR. The GF is an awesome hotel. One time we were scheduled to stay at the Yacht Club and our travel agent called a few days before we were to leave and asked if we minded being moved to the GF. Well, far be it from us to turn it down! It was fabulous. :)

Thank you for sharing. Anxious to hear more! Again, glad you are safe.
So glad you are enjoying the TR so far. Too funny about the Yacht Club, yes I'd pick GF over it in a heartbeat too. More coming soon, thanks for joining us.

What a scary start to your trip! So glad you are all okay. Looking forward to your report.
Yes, it was a scary start that's for sure. Thanks for coming along with us.

Jumping in and hanging on for dear life!!!!!

I followed along on FB, so I knew of the terrible start to your trip. Even with that, reading everything made it sound so scary! So sorry you had to go through all that...

I hope that stay at the Grand Flo made you feel much better!
Thanks! The Grand Flo is just INCREDIBLE!

What a scary start to your trip. But I am so happy to hear you were okay and you made it to Disney.
Thank you!

Oh my!! How terribly frightening! :scared1: I can't even imagine. Thank goodness you were all ok and able to get on your way relatively quickly. I have to admit a little chuckle escaped when I heard Lauren's reaction was "how are we getting to Disney?" and wow, talk about some sage advice from Luke with "keep moving forward." :goodvibes

Congratulations on earning a prize through your agency! The GF sure does look beautiful. For whatever reason I have this impression that it is too "stuffy" for me but then I happen upon reports and pictures like yours and I start to question it. So pretty!

Looking forward to more! popcorn::
Yes, it was terribly frightening that's for sure. Lauren and Luke's reactions were priceless, definitely my children : ) I thought I'd think it was too stuffy too but I honestly didn't get that vibe at all, there were all walks of life at the resort. I did see a lot of people dressed up for Victoria and Alberts walking around at night but I didn't feel like it was stuffy.

Lesley...did you at all get the feeling GF was too "stuffy"?? I know many feel that way but I've stayed there many times when we were able to afford it and I never got that feeling....and I don't feel I'm to good for other diz resorts, stayed at mods and even the downtown disney hotels which were all fine as well!:goodvibes
No, I honestly didn't but expected it to be that way, just honestly fell in love with this resort.

Oh my goodness! Thank God all of you walked away from that accident unharmed.

The room at the GF looks beautiful! Love the double sinks in the bathroom.

Can't wait to read more!
Thank you! The room was just amazing!

popcorn:: joining in, can't wait to read about another Tim and Lesley adventure! popcorn::
Thanks for joining us!

Sooooo glad that you all are okay! I've been following your TRs on here since the beginning - in fact, your reports when the kids were little were the FIRST that I ever followed! I used to drive my DH crazy calling him over ever five seconds to look at pics of your adorable kids!

When I read about your accident, I was holding my breath the whole time. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that at any time in your lives, let alone before a Disney trip. I know everyone here at the DIS would be devastated if anything happened to any of you! I'm not a particularly religious person, but I'm so glad you had someone watching out for you to keep you safe that day....AND you still made it to WDW with a whole new appreciation of each day that you have together!

Your first day at GF looks fabulous! We're more of a AKL/WL family, and my dream resort is Poly, but the pics from GF are amazing and everyone looks great! I hope this trip was filled with magical moments! Thanks again for sharing with all of us!

Thanks for being a faithful reader, glad you enjoyed the first addition. Yes, we are very thankful everything went the way that it did. Well, we move to AKL in a 2 bedroom the second part of our trip so stay tuned!! : )

:wizard:

Can't wait to hear about any new tips! :)

There are tips to come, that's for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter