Tiered Benefits

WDW*Dreamer

Mouseketeer
I saw a tweet from the condo meeting saying something about DVC rolling out tiered benefits based on points owned. This is the first I’ve heard of this. Has this been talked about before? Any idea what kind of tiered benefits they’re talking about?

They didn't say. But it appears to be points based, meaning the more points you own the more "loyalty" credit you get. It also appears you get credit for both purchased points and referred points purchased.

Not word on direct versus resale.

None of us have any facts about what they might offer. Many of us have ideas.

I am sure some will like it, others will not. I guess time will tell how many of each there are.

It could help sales, in my opinion it could also hurt sales.

If they offer priorty booking, I am sure you will be able to hear the outcry for miles.

If it gets too crazy I am giving my points to Daddio to rent for me and booking concierge at the deluxe resorts with free dining.

Here are a couple of threads where it was discussed basically when they sent out the survey mentioning it and also emails wanting feedback on what to call the program.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ghlight=tiered

My feeling is they will go with something similar to this program.

ASHEVILLE, NC (March 8, 2010) — The Festiva Adventure Club recently launched a Loyalty Program for select members that offers more services, amenities and flexibility to both new and existing members who have purchased higher levels of annual points.

Members who qualify for this program can take advantage of accommodations upgrades, early check-in, late check-out, a priority phone line, priority reservation windows and more.

They didn't say. But it appears to be points based, meaning the more points you own the more "loyalty" credit you get. It also appears you get credit for both purchased points and referred points purchased.

Was there a time frame on when they plan to start this program?

Jason

No real details were offered, only that the program would be introduced "soon". Jim Lewis did state that the tiers would be based on Direct purchase and Referrals and the comments were in direct response to a question posed by a member during the Q&A session at the Annual Meeting.

Stay tuned!

I saw a tweet from the condo meeting saying something about DVC rolling out tiered benefits based on points owned. This is the first I’ve heard of this. Has this been talked about before? Any idea what kind of tiered benefits they’re talking about?

Why am I thinking of the Caste System that has since been outlawed in India? :confused3

Hmm,

Honestly what could be added as a perk? A few additional product or food discounts I suppose, but I have a hard time imaging what else would change? Though perhaps I'm pretty content with what I've got. Earlier check in might be nice, but that's about it. It always seemed bazar that if a room costs 20 points a day, that on the first day you only got to use the room for 8 hours and it still cost 20 points, bleh.

Hmm,

Honestly what could be added as a perk? A few additional product or food discounts I suppose, but I have a hard time imaging what else would change? Though perhaps I'm pretty content with what I've got. Earlier check in might be nice, but that's about it. It always seemed bazar that if a room costs 20 points a day, that on the first day you only got to use the room for 8 hours and it still cost 20 points, bleh.

I totally understand what your saying. The kicker is the points are based upon the number of "nights" one reserves. It's all a question of semantics.

If you have 100 points or less, you will be issued a can of paint (and necessary brushes and rollers) when you check in and will be expected to paint at least one room in your villa for everyone on the reservation. Eight guests=eight rooms.

If you have 100-300 points, you will be asked to pay your dues in a lump sum in January - no direct debit.

If you have 300-500 points, you will be required to a park in the Theme Park parking lot and take a bus to your car anytime you need to use it.

If you have 500-1000 points, you will be asked to conduct inspections of the villas adjacent to yours.

If you have 1000-1500 points, you will be allowed to park right outside your villa at SSR or OKW or issued a reserved parking space at other resorts.

If you have in excess of 1500 points, Jim Lewis will take you to dinner, but you have to pay for your dinner and Jim's dinner.

If you have 100 points or less, you will be issued a can of paint (and necessary brushes and rollers) when you check in and will be expected to paint at least one room in your villa for everyone on the reservation. Eight guests=eight rooms.

If you have 100-300 points, you will be asked to pay your dues in a lump sum in January - no direct debit.

If you have 300-500 points, you will be required to a park in the Theme Park parking lot and take a bus to your car anytime you need to use it.

If you have 500-1000 points, you will be asked to conduct inspections of the villas adjacent to yours.

If you have 1000-1500 points, you will be allowed to park right outside your villa at SSR or OKW or issued a reserved parking space at other resorts.

If you have in excess of 1500 points, Jim Lewis will take you to dinner, but you have to pay for your dinner and Jim's dinner.

:worship::worship::worship:

He also mentioned to a couple of owners at the meeting that had 1600 + points that he wanted to give them a hug. He did not mention that to a lady who mentioned that she had around 1200.

David

OK....... I can only assume this came directly from a bus drivers mouth...... right ?!? popcorn::

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Whew, so glad I have more than a hundred points. I have painted more rooms in my life than I care to think about. :)

Okay so this 'loyalty' benefit is based on the number of points I own. And the number of referrals I send. (If no one I send buys any points then I don't get any referrals credit):sad2:

What about longevity? (The number of years that I have been a member?) :confused3

Or the number of trips per year?
Or the number of nights per trip?

Or the average number of trips per year?
Or the average number of nights per trip?
Or the average number of exchanged trips? (DCL, Disneyland Paris, Adventures by Disney etc. with those within the Disney system getting more value vs RCI trips)?

We could really make this a very complex formula.:idea:

So if you give a weighted allowance to
1) Longevity
2) The number of Points owned
3) The average number of trips/year
4) The average number of nights /trip
5) The number of exchanged trips

Then maybe I could get an advantage.

Since most members don't own anywhere near 1000 points how can they justify it?:confused3

Where do these ideas come from??:confused:

:worship::worship::worship:

He also mentioned to a couple of owners at the meeting that had 1600 + points that he wanted to give them a hug. He did not mention that to a lady who mentioned that she had around 1200.

David

But lets dont forget if we can't afford the big points, we can always work our behinds off selling DVC for them, and earn them.

Daddio, if this turns out the way I am afraid it will, you will be getting my points to rent and I will be paying cash for concierge at the Grand Floridian.

Given that many people think Disney and DVC don't really pony up with good benefits anyway (plenty don't even seem to like the AP discount and want something different, for example), I can't imagine that they're going to come up with a lot that is going to be impactful anyway.

For the most part, I think this is a subject that is prone to over-reaction and gnashing of teeth. I could very well be proven wrong, but I don't think they'll take away any benefits that are currently for all members and make them for higher tier owners only.

A PP asked what else they could really add. One thing that comes to mind is linked to a previous survey, and that's storage. They might offer big point holders an Owner's Locker-type storage option, since presumably these owners are visiting more often. The perks could also be throw-away sort of things, like free D23 membership, or less throw-away, like ability to buy TIW without an AP (which is silly, because I bet a lot of these owners are AP holders), maybe something nicer like a $10-25 Disney card per # of points per year or access to concierge lounges or events like the safari that is only available to concierge guests. Oh, another thing they could get is more frequent housekeeping. Whatever it is, I'd imagine it'll be stuff that isn't too expensive for them to administer.

I'd be shocked if they gave booking priority of any sort as a tiered benefit, though.

Given that many people think Disney and DVC don't really pony up with good benefits anyway (plenty don't even seem to like the AP discount and want something different, for example), I can't imagine that they're going to come up with a lot that is going to be impactful anyway.

For the most part, I think this is a subject that is prone to over-reaction and gnashing of teeth. I could very well be proven wrong, but I don't think they'll take away any benefits that are currently for all members and make them for higher tier owners only.

A PP asked what else they could really add. One thing that comes to mind is linked to a previous survey, and that's storage. They might offer big point holders an Owner's Locker-type storage option, since presumably these owners are visiting more often. The perks could also be throw-away sort of things, like free D23 membership, or less throw-away, like ability to buy TIW without an AP (which is silly, because I bet a lot of these owners are AP holders), maybe something nicer like a $10-25 Disney card per # of points per year or access to concierge lounges or events like the safari that is only available to concierge guests. Oh, another thing they could get is more frequent housekeeping. Whatever it is, I'd imagine it'll be stuff that isn't too expensive for them to administer.

I'd be shocked if they gave booking priority of any sort as a tiered benefit, though.

I tend to agree with this analysis. We frequently receive enticements from other entities because of our "loyalty" to their program. The added benefits weren't anything to write home about plus there was fine print and additional contingencies that actually made the benefits not to be worth the additional effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter