Things that are foreign to your kids, that were normal for you...

Glass bottles with a return. I remember the tire shop had a vending machine, and drinks tasted soooo good. I think you had to leave a nickel in a jar if you took the bottle with you. If you brought it back, you could get your nickel.
Oh my gosh...we were bottle rich. I had a bunch of teen and college age uncles. They would dump their bottles in a box by the back door. We would load them into a wagon and buy out the candy store with our proceeds. Lol

So what did you do as a kid, that your kids don't do today?
Grandchildren?
Rode in the car in that style car seat.
Sat on the driver's lap and "steered".
Played outside all day and into the night, unsupervised.
Explored the woods with no adults.
Learned social sciences, music, art, etc in school. Well, was taught those.
Math on paper, using pencils.
Sniffed copier fluid from newly-distributed paperwork.
Had newspapers and milk delivered regularly.
Read newspapers.
Improvised.

I remember when collecting pop bottles was a real "thing" and people did it for extra money. And it cleaned up the environment too. I wish they would start using glass bottles again and do away with the throwaway plastic ones that just end up in our oceans. I know some things need to be plastic, but not all things.
I remember playing out back after school in the woods behind our house. We were on a high bank of a river and I would find a spot against a tree right at the edge of the bank and watch the water, boats for hours. I wandered those woods all the time and never ran into a vagrant or anything bad. Now I would be scared to let my grandkids go out in a place like that. It's so sad, because it was a magical place for me for peace and quiet and beauty.

Blockbuster!!!
We took the kids to blockbuster on Friday nights. They would crash in the bean bags and play a video game. They would get popcorn. I doubt they remember it, can’t recall what year they closed. I hate that they are gone, even though I am part of the problem...I worked in streaming tech in the late 90s/early 2000s, and have been an advocate for it ever since! Still something about browsing a real store, though.

Was watching Annie ever really a national event like the Wizard of Oz? I have to question that...wait.... just to be sure, we’re talking about the 1982 Annie, right?

I don't think it was a national event like Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music but it's truly a classic. Couldn't wait to introduce it to my daughter.

I don't think it was a national event like Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music but it's truly a classic. Couldn't wait to introduce it to my daughter.
Just to let you know , TCM is bringing Annie back on the big screen on June 14 & 17. Maybe your daughter has never seen it as originally presented. Hopefully, things will be somewhat back to normal in 3 months...

We’ve seen Oz and Music in theaters in recent years and what a difference it makes!

working in the hot summer sun for 7 or more hours if you lived in a US state that had a agriculture industry....and it wasn't your farm. Children in the Willamette Valley spent summers picking strawberries and green beans...from the age 8 to 16, at which you graduated to the indoor industry of putting those crops in cans, earning a wage to pay for your college education...which in the 70s, was very possible to earn you total 4 year college education working in the processing plants for 6 years....now that is something very foreign.

A few years back we were at WDW and Dr Pepper was celebrating 125th anniversary and brought out 12 packs of cane sugar DPs. So i brought one back to the resort and told my kids they were in for a treat, (they hadn't really ever had the little bottle cane sugar drinks). Welllll, they were quite underwhelmed since they were only used to DP with high fructose corn syrup, and didn't like them. Since then I have to buy both drinks at the store.

slim flat cameras (I think they used 110 film or something)
high school seniors driving the school bus
freedom
Maddog 20-20:crazy2: ( i was a wild teen)
For that matter, needing film in your camera! For that matter, needing to wait to have the film developed. In fact, Foto Hut.

Being six years old and being able to buy cigarettes for your parents. B

Gasoline under $1/gallon.

Dial-up.

A relatively recent one but Netflix disks that you had to mail back and wait for your next rental. Remember how they would throttle use if you returned them too quick?
...I actually still get Netflix DVDs haha..but they've kinda gave up on throttle and now just go to several days no matter what at least that's been my experience the last 2 or so years.

Oh they'll mark it as returned quickly but now they give the expected arrival as several days later. It used to be a 3 day total for me for return,ship, and arrival (under most circumstances).

I sent my disc back on the 17th, they shipped a new one on the 18th, it said expected arrival as the 21st but I did get a nice surprise..it came today :)

...I actually still get Netflix DVDs haha..but they've kinda gave up on throttle and now just go to several days no matter what at least that's been my experience the last 2 or so years.

Oh they'll mark it as returned quickly but now they give the expected arrival as several days later. It used to be a 3 day total for me for return,ship, and arrival (under most circumstances).

I sent my disc back on the 17th, they shipped a new one on the 18th, it said expected arrival as the 21st but I did get a nice surprise..it came today :)
I totally didnt know that was still an option. Weve stopped and restarted Netflix several times over the past few years and I never noticed a disk option. Have you kept continual service since the aughts?

I totally didnt know that was still an option. Weve stopped and restarted Netflix several times over the past few years and I never noticed a disk option. Have you kept continual service since the aughts?
Yes I have-when I first signed up Netflix streaming was only 2hours per month! and DVDs were king back then.

I did remove my streaming from my plan when they allowed for multiple profiles on one account. We just added a profile to my husband's account but I opted to keep my DVD service; I just have the 1 DVD at a time plan though. I kinda figured if I removed it I may not be able to get it back. I likely won't get rid of it I'll let Netflix do that for me.

Vast majority of the movies in their catalog I can get either through streaming on other services or my local libraries but for some older 70s,80s,90s,more early 2000s movies (even though Netflix has removed some of those or retired them without purchasing more when the discs are too damaged) I've been able to get a decent amount to watch.

The movie I just got was released in 1980 lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter