Things not going well with the DDP changes

So I guess you only take the orders and bring the check? Do you not tip out the food runners or the bus person? I have dined at 5 star restaurants where there is a team that actually takes care of the patrons. I have full service though and feel the gratuity is earned. I don't have to go without refills or having my dishes cleared after each course.

TLSnell, I take the orders, walk the customers through any questions they have (you'd be shocked how much time this takes), ensure the food is to their liking after its arrived, each course, and make sure I'm available at all times for drinks or anything else they want (You'd also be surprised how many people like to chat with their servers). I think if you went to 10 restaurants with avg checks per person over 25 you might find one where the server routinely ran out food. Usually more junior employees do that until they serve. Its also a method of training I guess. Every restaurant has a team taking care of you, if you can tell it's a team though, they did poorly. That team should have one face, your server, and they should be available when you need them.

Yes, everyone gets a part of the tip from the server to the cooks. As for the Ihop question, I'd put forward that IHOP is a low priced family restaurant and not really in the same category. It is nearly fast food. I eat there a lot, love the pancakes, but it's not intended to be a dining experience. The IHOPs by me all have bussers, which run food too. They are independently owned, so each is different obviously. I have a friend who worked at one for some years and said the money was great, but she also would have 10 - 12 tables at a time. Very high end restaurants cap at 3, most around 5 - 7 with obvious exceptions when servers are missing or its busy, but trust me, the customers know if a server has 11 tables.

TLSnell, I take the orders, walk the customers through any questions they have (you'd be shocked how much time this takes), ensure the food is to their liking after its arrived, each course, and make sure I'm available at all times for drinks or anything else they want (You'd also be surprised how many people like to chat with their servers). I think if you went to 10 restaurants with avg checks per person over 25 you might find one where the server routinely ran out food. Usually more junior employees do that until they serve. Its also a method of training I guess. Every restaurant has a team taking care of you, if you can tell it's a team though, they did poorly. That team should have one face, your server, and they should be available when you need them.

Yes, everyone gets a part of the tip from the server to the cooks. As for the Ihop question, I'd put forward that IHOP is a low priced family restaurant and not really in the same category. It is nearly fast food. I eat there a lot, love the pancakes, but it's not intended to be a dining experience. The IHOPs by me all have bussers, which run food too. They are independently owned, so each is different obviously. I have a friend who worked at one for some years and said the money was great, but she also would have 10 - 12 tables at a time. Very high end restaurants cap at 3, most around 5 - 7 with obvious exceptions when servers are missing or its busy, but trust me, the customers know if a server has 11 tables.

I can tell when it's a team because I have been in the restaurant business. Anyone with an observant bone in their body would be aware also....male...female...tall....short...etc. I won't even get into the arguement...they did poorly. I have never had bad service at a 5 star. If there was ever an issue (I think once my steak was a little too done) it was taken care of immediately....as well as my other wants and needs. Poor service like this usually gets at least 30% from me and DH.

Every restaurant has a team taking care of you, if you can tell it's a team though, they did poorly. That team should have one face, your server, and they should be available when you need them.

You are describing "fine" dining not the "regular" dining you originally stated. The vast majority of restaurants do not function this way. At your big chain sit down restaurants (chili's, longhorns, outback, on the border, olive garden, carrabas, red robin, etc...) which are certainly average the server will do almost all the work related to your table. As another poster said, on days that they anticipate being busy, (most of these restaurants do not actually hire "runners") someone, often a manager, will be designated as the expediter who will move drinks and food IF a server is tied up. The only restaurant at disney that falls into the category you are describing is V&As. Even the signature restaurants are closer to national chains in service than what you are describing.

You are describing "fine" dining not the "average" dining you originally stated. The vast majority of restaurants do not function this way. At your big chain sit down restaurants (chili's, longhorns, outback, on the border, olive garden, carrabas, red robin, etc...) which are certainly average the server will do almost all the work related to your table. As another poster said, on days that they anticipate being busy, (most of these restaurants do not actually hire "runners") someone, often a manager, will be designated as the expediter who will move drinks and food IF a server is tied up. The only restaurant at disney that falls into the category you are describing is V&As. Even the signature restaurants are closer to national chains in service than what you are describing.

Oops! I think the sky is falling! We agree on this.:rotfl:

DH and I just sat down today and calculated what we will order on the Deluxe DDP in Sept. We got free dining, then upgraded to deluxe for $32.00 per person, per day for two people.

We will pay $512.00 to upgrade to Deluxe for 8 nights.....and after checking the menus.....we will eat $1470.00 worth of food, if paid out of pocket....this does not include the savings on 2 refillable mugs, and 32 snack credits. I realize people are upset with the 2008 DDp changes...but for us, it's still a great deal.
I refuse to spend my one vacation, per year, eating burgers and pizza at the CS...not to mention waiting in lines and making a dash to grab a CS table.

Keep in mind.....we are planning only 2 meals per day, 1TS and a 2TS each day.
Do the math...it's still a great deal, even without the bounceback savings.

Do the math...it's still a great deal, even without the bounceback savings.

I agree completely, everyone should do the math. It's a wonderful deal for some. It depends on each families dining and touring style, and it really works out to the benefit for some people. Others find that they break about even and others find that they save without it.

Glad that it worked out so well for you - have a great vacation!

Bussers do not run food at our IHOP, we are Independent owned and I run 3 tables on the weekends and either 3 or 4 during the week. The owner is VERY adamant about great customer service. No its not fast food we work our butts off and to be honest I do more work then I have seen at a place we paid 150.00 to eat at so please don't assume because I work at a IHOP its less work. I don't think IHOP is cheap either I see Family's Spending 50.00-60.00 for breakfast and to me that is not cheap buy hey I am just a server. I may not know the current wine list, but I bet I could beat you on the different types of ways to cook a egg..lmao

I leave in the morning and I got DDp again. No it's not as good a deal as before but I figured it out and I still come out ahead . I;m on vacation and I enjoy a sit down meal everyday including buffets(which I love) I don't have to carry as much cash or charge as much as it's all paid ahead I just have the tip. With the old plan I tipped over the 18% for really good service and that was about every meal. The deluxe would be too much for me ,but maybe next time I'll do all 2Ts mealsand try it out who knows. I will be in Disney and that's all that matters!!

You are describing "fine" dining not the "regular" dining you originally stated. The vast majority of restaurants do not function this way. At your big chain sit down restaurants (chili's, longhorns, outback, on the border, olive garden, carrabas, red robin, etc...) which are certainly average the server will do almost all the work related to your table. As another poster said, on days that they anticipate being busy, (most of these restaurants do not actually hire "runners") someone, often a manager, will be designated as the expediter who will move drinks and food IF a server is tied up. The only restaurant at disney that falls into the category you are describing is V&As. Even the signature restaurants are closer to national chains in service than what you are describing.

I agree with every word you have posted here!

wezee, since you already have free dining, paying the $32 is a fantastic deal to upgrade to deluxe and almost a no brainer. Only thing is, not everyone has that option! I think its important to note that as what your paying is cheaper than those that have to pay full price for the regular dining plan.

Give me the deluxe at $32 and I wont say a negative word, I swear! :rolleyes1

I agree the Deluxe with free dining is a no brainer....but even if we had to pay in full for the deluxe.....we still would save about $300.00 or more.

I agree the Deluxe with free dining is a no brainer....but even if we had to pay in full for the deluxe.....we still would save about $300.00 or more.

True....If thats how you would normally choose to eat. Plus it makes a big difference on how big your party is and the ages on what kind of savings can be realized. Fantastic that it works for you, and even better that you were able to get it for such a deal!

I may not know the current wine list, but I bet I could beat you on the different types of ways to cook a egg..lmao

I wish you weren't so far away. It sounds like I could order a poached egg easy, and you would know what I wanted.:goodvibes

I wish you weren't so far away. It sounds like I could order a poached egg easy, and you wouldn know what I wanted.:goodvibes

Amen to that! I am betting that my over medium eggs would be over medium and not over easy and slimy!!

Okay, I'll bite back. I don't believe any server at a regular restaurant would agree with your statement. I seldom do buffets at Disney because I feel like I have to beg for a refill and run out of room because of the stack of dirty dishes.....and we don't go back for seconds. Maybe, we've just been unlucky, but this is how most service has gone for us at buffets.

::yes:: With the exception of Boma I agree.

I tried to shop carefully when I decided to get the Delux Dining Plan (with wine) for our upcoming trip. We really like to eat out and try food that we can't get at home. The appetizer was one of the attractions of the plan for us, and now I find out it is gone! Here is my question: If we are eating on the Delux Dining Plan, which now does not include an appetizer, can I order an appetizer and pay for it seperately? In other words, am I stuck just getting an entree and dessert since that is what is on the plan?

I tried to shop carefully when I decided to get the Delux Dining Plan (with wine) for our upcoming trip. We really like to eat out and try food that we can't get at home. The appetizer was one of the attractions of the plan for us, and now I find out it is gone! Here is my question: If we are eating on the Delux Dining Plan, which now does not include an appetizer, can I order an appetizer and pay for it seperately? In other words, am I stuck just getting an entree and dessert since that is what is on the plan?

The appetizer IS included in the deluxe dining plan. It in NOT included in the regular DDP. You are also able to order anything else you would like OOP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter