There will be Muggles: September 2016!!

Happy Monday!!

At least it is for me! I am wired-the excitement has gone to my brain and made it forget about everything else. Well it tried at least!

The weekend was good-Saturday I had my toes done and got bright red with little Mickey Heads to be more festive. The weather was lousy, but we didn’t really have anything planned besides errands, so no big loss. Yesterday we celebrated my twin cousin’s birthday and their kids and all of my little second cousins came over to swim, eat cake, and enjoy food out of crock pots. ‘Tis the season for crock pots. They got probably the last swim in the pool before we close it up. It is a little iffy this time of year since it does stay warm for another couple of weeks. It has been a hot summer so no complaints.

Yesterday I also printed out CM appreciation cards and HOPEFULLY I will use them all! Last year was great overall, but 2014 I did not have many good reasons to award CM appreciation cards. They are fun and I think the majority of the CMs get really excited that someone takes the time to say thank you. I certainly would.

Finally, I bought the Universal tickets last night as well. Printed them out and handed off to DF for safe keeping in his folder. I need to organize my folder, but everything is coming together. Need to charge my current camera battery and pack up the camera carry on. The back ups are charged, but I was playing around Friday with the fish eye and manual focus.

Mom and I have our meditation this evening, so we will be tied up. However I imagine I won’t be able to sleep the next few nights, so I can still get some things done tonight. Bras and shorts are what remain on the clothes list! Those are two items I do not have an excess of, so I have to wait till right before the trip. We will have laundry at Bay Lake Tower and we tend to plan the trip with a laundry break in the middle. Mom and I always over pack, but I would rather have more than not enough! Especially with the heat, our outfits don’t last too long and in the evening we usually at least change our shirts before dinner.

Looking forward to our evening in Cleveland too! I need to stop at Penzey’s for some spices-stock up for the holiday. I also requested a stop at Crate and Barrel, which is right by where we will grab dinner, so no biggie. I need some dimpled beer mugs and they have a great selection of glassware to choose from in store.

Time is ticking…check in with you soon!

So sitting here are work trying to remain calm. It has slowed down here and did get a few big projects rolling this week, now I won't feel so bad! only working a half day--if I stay or come back after lunch, you always feel like there is something to do and never leave.

Soon--Off to the chiropractor and then hair stylist. I didn't intend to wait so long for my hair cut, but I was lucky not to burn in AZ in July! I should be ok, just need to grab my hat if the sun is out for long periods of time.

Then home for some lunch and finish up packing the carry on and suitcases. I need to erase some shows off my DVR so it doesn't go into overload. We have Time Warner, or whatever their name is this week, and the box holds so many shows, but it starts to act goofy if it gets near 60% capacity. Like what's the point then? Well I am rambling...see you all very soon. I will be working on my trip report of course and don't forget to follow along on Instagram @theerikagrimm Thanks for noticing! This time tomorrow we will be in hot and steamy Florida.

September 22

I was awake about 15 minutes before the alarm was set to go off officially. It must be a special skill, but it seems like I am always alert and ready to go on travel day. I think it is deeply psychological-you never actually sleep deeply and it nags at the bottom of your brain that you need to be up early the next day.

Ready to go in record time the three of us were hanging out waiting for the courtesy shuttle to pick us up. Took a little longer than usual, but the weather was lovely and not pouring rain was key. Cleveland recently changed where the shuttle busses drop people off and the location stinks. You used to be dropped off right by the terminal doors, now you must drag your luggage underneath or below the street level. After the recent refurbishment at the airport, the CEO decided he liked this process better. He obviously doesn’t have to get dropped off via hotel shuttle. A major inconvenience that we hope is changed back soon.

Check in was smooth. We forked over the extra dough for early boarding and expedited security lines. They weren’t bad this time of morning, but I like the reassurance of a shorter line and knowing I can get on the plane sooner with my carry-on bags. The flight was great and only a few minutes late taking off, but touched down early.

Faithful Alamo users can cross the street, see their car type and pack go. A Dodge Journey was ready to go, although I wanted the goofy delivery van looking vehicle. Off to Miller’s Ale House for some fish and chips, cheese steaks and cold beers. Food is solid and the service is attentive every visit.

After lunch it was time stroll the street to Universal property and check in at the Royal Pacific.

We parked in the self lot and strolled into the lobby- lo and behold our room was ready. Bell services helped mom and I up to the room, while DF took the car back to the lot. Universal has a similar system to Disney

The three of us managed to find space for our clothing in the room. That is a challenge with three adults-2 of which pack like we are on vacation for weeks. I like to unpack my clothes even staying only the few nights because then we can pack our own bags up for the next leg. DF packs the bags full emersion-each bag has everyone’s clothes. That way if a suitcase gets lost or delayed, everyone still has some fresh outfits to wear. The only minus to this is that the bathroom bags all in one bag. This is used based on past terrible experiences. This also the reason I carry an extra outfit or two and undergarments in my carry on. I take no chances.

I love the newly renovated rooms. The design is clean, simple and provides a bright atmosphere to immerse yourself in paradise. The view was our usual view over the thruway and towards International Drive. I do enjoy all of the lights at night. There is something about the lights that help me sleep at night when I am away from home. The several miles a day walking doesn’t hurt either.

Happy hour at the lounge wasn’t for a couple of hours, so we went for a stroll…

Outside of Jake’s

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7442.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7449.jpg.html]

It was hot so we stopped at Bula Grill for an adult beverage. Good drinks, just overpriced at $42 for three drinks in plastic cups. I did note that in the survey then sent me. I know it is location, convenience, and the 18% auto gratuity, but really? The food menu is interesting, but pass for now.

Club Level Lounge

The club level lounge is open all day and has four major events daily. The days operate on a six day schedule with a different cuisine each day. All day includes sodas, juice, coffee, tea, light snacks and they do have bottled water just ask. They have a schedule that is emailed to you before arrival and there a lots of other trip reports with many of the details if you want more information.

The schedule for Fall 2016 was as follows

Continental Breakfast: 7-10 AM

Afternoon Snacks: 12:00 PM-3:00 PM

Royal Relaxation: 4:30-6:30 PM

Something Sweet: 8:00-9:00 PM

This afternoon happened to be American day so there was spinach salad with hot bacon dressing, mushrooms, tomato, and egg. Each day there are a few different cheeses with a collection of crackers. There are also crudités and dip so you can get those oh so important vegetables!

Here are some pictures from the Lounge

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7458.jpg.html][/URL
]

Towards Sapphire Falls

[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7454.jpg.html][/URL
]

Back to the room and later on to City Walk for dinner.
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Glad to see you back and reporting how your trip went........really looking forward to reading it with you........

Nice pics.......

Dinner at NBC Grill & Brew

We were still on the full side from snacking at the lounge, but we wanted to get to City Walk before it got too packed from all of the guests fleeing the parks before the party started. Two years ago we made the mistake of waiting till later on to eat on a Saturday night and along with Homecoming night at a local high school-it was crazy jammed. DM and I shopped at Fresh Produce and bought matching shirts, since we look adorable doing so. I was excited they had the larger sizes this time at the store. Fresh Produce has stores in coastal cities as well as some landlocked spots. I do like their tunic style shirts with the pocket in the front-lightweight and comfortable for hot weather.

Ultimately we decided on the NBC Grill and Brew because the menu was large and had a variety of appetizers to choose from if you don’t feel like a full entrée. We did some menu scoping at a few places, but snagged a pager and watched the crowds roll into the park for HHN. The wait wasn’t too long and soon our table was ready.
[/URL

I really loved the NASCAR Sports Grill because of obvious reasons such as my screen name. The food was ordinary chain food and the service was consistently good. I was sad to see it change over, but timing was good since last year we missed the construction.

The menu is vast with a selection of sandwiches, appetizers, a pile of burgers, and entrée like steaks, ribs and smoked meats. Nothing stood out as unique mostly trendy foods like pulled pork, mac and cheese, bang bang chicken, and the ever present fish taco dish. The only item missing was the burger with a fried egg. You can probably get that at Cowfish though. I didn’t want anything heavy, so DM chose chicken salad in a sandwich and the slider version and DF chose the fire grilled chicken flatbread…big mistake.

Cheese curds-the fryer wasn’t hot enough and these came out greasy and not as crisp as they should be. The tomato jam was thick and chunky like paste and did not adhere to the curds coating. You need a thinner sauce that will stick to the food. Just serve marinara, it works. Don’t try to be fancy-it backfires.
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal 2016/IMG_7473.jpg.html
I will warn you up front about DF-this man is spoiled by our favorite restaurant in town, which doesn’t have heat lamps, so the food served piping hot! I also serve him boiling hot food every night for dinner. I agree it is incredibly frustrating when food isn’t prepared correctly the first time or isn’t hot enough, but he can be so whiney and mean. It has been difficult since my grandmother passed and we have been trying to settle her estate, he is under a lot of pressure constantly and he has become a cranky old man like 15 years sooner than I figured he would.

The chicken salad was okay, not as good as mine of course. The dried apple was a nice touch, but it was dry and chewy and barely edible in the sandwich form.
IMG_7484.jpg
[/URL
]

Anyway he orders some stupid flatbread that you know isn’t going to arrive hot anyhow and it began lol. It wasn’t hot in the middle, in fact it wasn’t even warm, so gross. Did they even cook it?- you think to yourself? Finally we flagged down the server and he took it back. The manager comes over and gives the form letter sorry speech etc. Well the second flatbread finally arrived and it the kitchen staff are obviously ignorant or angry because they stuck it under the broiler and burnt it. I guess it is funny to waste food and serve it to guests because you didn’t prepare it correctly the first time.

So I get to deal with my DF being crabby and the serving trying to get the manager to take the item off the bill. Really?! You make me wait for that? I have no tolerance for this behavior and will never go back. So salty…lol. There are plenty of other places that would rather me spend our money there, so long!

Well bummer of a night in terms of food. There’s so much to do and see tomorrow though! Good night all.

Shame NBC let you down with food........it does have such a good menu and place itself is nice, we miss NASCAR cafe too........loved boogity shrimp salad!

September 23rd- Universal Studios

Slept well and stopped by the club level lounge for breakfast. They have a really lovely spread of fresh fruit, oatmeal, cinnamon rolls, dry cereals, bagels, English muffins, bread for toasting, yogurt and a few cold cuts like salami and capicola as well as hardboiled eggs. There is coffee, tea, apple & orange juice, milk, and ice water available to drink. The dry cereal selection included Honey Nut Cherrios, Frosted Flakes, Rice Crispies, GoLean Crunch, & Special K.

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

DF didn’t read the labels and got himself a bowl of what he presumed what regular Cheerios, in actuality they were the Honey Nut, and he proceeded to complain about how sweet they were. I hadn’t browsed that part of the buffet, but I hedged my bet and figured that’s what they were. DF is not big on sweets in general-he enjoys little candy bars and maybe a few bites of ice cream, but not a big dessert eater. He went on and on about “People feed these to their kids?!” “I can’t believe how sweet these are!” “I’m shocked!” It was really funny since he was dead serious. I finally went and looked at the label and broke the news to him. “Oh!” I said get the Special K tomorrow lol!

Breakfast was light and quick-perfect for early entry days! Remember that you have early access to one of the parks-usually Universal side when you stay on property. The plan was to head right for Escape From Gringott’s. The weather was stunning and it was going to be wicked hot later on in the afternoon. We tromped all the way to Diagon Alley and there were a lot of folks fleeing from the ride towards the exit when a random woman looked at me and said the ride was down. She said you looked like I needed to tell you! It is not surprising, these types of things happen to my mom and I frequently. We have a touch of “The Shine” if you will…points for movie references also owned by Universal?!

So Plan B was activated—time for Men In Black! Afterwards we toddled towards ET, passing through Springfield along the way. I really loved the Back to the Future Ride and the Simpsons conversion is good, but my back disagrees! Also the reason we avoided The Mummy. I don’t want hurt my back and the whiplash is pretty wild.

ET was back to doing the card readers with your name-last time there must have been some technical difficulties. Still are darn good attraction for it’s age even though the aliens creep me out, but that’s another story lol. The only thing that is annoying is the really aged pre show! The walk through queue is really neat.

We eventually made it to the front of the park and rode Minion Mayhem. The Express definitely pays off for this, probably the most popular ride at the park. The pre show is the most entertaining of all rides and that includes Disney pre shows. Universal is more edgy with their humor and it is geared toward an older crowd as do their attractions. It is nice at times since many things at Disney verge on babyish and hammy.
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal 2016/IMG_1706.jpg.html
[/URL
]

[/URL
]

We ran into a few “characters” along the way like Marilyn Monroe, Better Boop and Woody Woodpecker who were out and about on the streets

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal 2016/IMG_1666.jpg.html
[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

After minion Mayhem we walked back and grabbed lunch at Mel’s Drive In. Now Mel’s used to be “the place to eat.” Lines lopped around the outside of the building. The burgers were big and juicy and milkshakes were awesome. The last time we went it was still good for a quick bite lunch. I admit I didn’t really read too many reviews for Universal restaurants, but OMG should I have! They basically turned the place into a Burger King. As soon as we paid, the tray was brought over with the food on it, so I knew that it had been ready for while. Dreadful experience-thin tasteless patties with the whitest part of the lettuce, you know the part your put in the garbage, and lukewarm limp French fries. What a shame and what a waste of money!

On the way to King’s Cross to take the train to Islands of Adventure!!

And get a beer :tongue:

beautiful pictures !

why don't you post some of them in the picture stickies?
they would look so nice in that thread.

Oh your poor dad with the breakfast cereal........I can only imagine how sweet they must have been! Don't eat them.........

You got some lovely pictures there.........agree with Mel's, it hasn't been decent since around 07/08........

Nice update!

Harry--You bet your last Chocolate Frog I bought this shirt

[/URL
]

First stop was the Hog’s Head for a beer-especially after that lunch! I do wish the HH was larger and had more areas for relaxing and sipping your brew. The view of Hogwart’s is lovely, but the outdoor seating is unbearable a few months a year!
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal 2016/IMG_1667.jpg.html
[/URL
]

[/URL
]

I am proud of myself for riding Forbidden Journey without any problems even after drinking a Guinness. The only motion that really bothers me is turbulence on a plane and it’s probably because it your life being threatened. I personally prefer Forbidden Journey to Escape from Gringott’s, but the atmosphere is Diagon Alley is livelier and there are more things to discover. DA is so immersive due to the size of the buildings, it seems to have more going on even though there is only 1 major attraction. The wait time was only 20 minutes and Debs wasn’t interested in going through the queue, but it saved us from having to use the lockers.

It’s like winter in Erie-snow on the roof and people wearing shorts!

[/URL
]

From the bridge to Jurassic Park
[/URL
]

I totally whiffed on centering this one! Missed the other flame
[/URL
]

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal 2016/IMG_7563.jpg.html
[/URL
]

Fun ride, but I do not want to get soaked and walk around in wet shoes and socks. I know I drain the fun out of everything. People were totally soaked to the bone. Wet underpants are no laughing matter =). The new Kong Ride wait time was about an hour and from what I read from the reviews, I wasn’t heartbroken to take a pass on it this year. Kongfrontation, now that was a darned good ride. Completely original for the time it was opened. It looks like the next time we visit the Fast & Furious attraction will be open as well, sweetening the pot.

By the time we walked down to Spiderman it was wicked hot. DM was ready for a rest and we certainly needed some respite from the sun. We headed back to the room for a little rest and then a snack at the lounge at Happy Hour.

Dinner is later at Antojitos.

Oh your poor dad with the breakfast cereal........I can only imagine how sweet they must have been! Don't eat them.........

You got some lovely pictures there.........agree with Mel's, it hasn't been decent since around 07/08........

Nice update!

Why thank you--he is pretty funny at times! Freaking out over breakfast cereal. Shame about Mel's, but with so many other places to try at City Walk I see why they let it drop down in quality.

We went to Antojitos shortly after it opened in 2014 when we visited Universal. Getting seated was a process. I don’t think the staff was fully trained at the time, so I cut them some slack. We were seated, but it took me asking another staff member for a server when they realized they dropped the ball. However the food was very good and the Mariachi band was entertaining. Overall it was a good experience.

Well this time we were seated within a few minutes, but unfortunately there were other problems.

The server finally came over and asked for our drink order as we pondered over our menus. The menu is large, but it has all your Mexican favorites. I had already had a Guinness earlier and drinking liquor soon before bed gives me reflux problems, so I skipped the gigantic margarita this evening. Although I do love a margarita on the rocks, I don’t need a quart sized drink haha.

He asked us if we wanted to start with an appetizer, but we were ready to order our meals and DM was having nachos anyhow. The band wasn’t scheduled to play any time soon unfortunately, so there was just people watching and the bar to view from my seat. My parents got to watch the kitchen prepare the food. The food was taking quite a while, the kind of time frame you realize you have been waiting a long time, yeah that long. The server kept saying it was coming, it’s almost ready.

It eventually arrived and everything was lukewarm. At this point we were so hungry we ate what we had. The cheese on DM nachos had congealed-at some point the cheese was melted, but it sat too long before being served. DF burrito was maybe a shade over luke warm. My taco meat, which was grilled on a grill with flames was not hot either. I don’t need my food to be a raging inferno, but I do expect hot food and the second night in a row with disappointing food is a real turn off.

Trying to get our check was another issue. Obviously, we were not pleased and we asked for the check and the server kept asking if we wanted anything else or dessert. After three times he should understand that we just want the check so we can leave. Totally oblivious to our overall experience. Maybe if you ring up your bar bill you get better service.

Not sure what was going on, but someone should be ashamed to call themselves a chef after serving food that wasn’t acceptable for service. It is not fine dining, but with the competition on property you have got to try harder than that. I won’t be back nor do I recommend Antojitos to any of my family or friends.

Boo

Saturday September the 24th

A quick breakfast at the lounge and then back to Universal for Escape from Gringott’s- since it opened back up yesterday. The queue is probably better than FJ, but because of the interactive goblins. The ride vehicle is more restricting for me being Pooh sized. My weight is centralized in my belly area and apparently if you are given the front row- shoulder harness needs to come down further than the rows behind. Well it wouldn’t make the final click so we had to be taken off and sent to wait around the corner. That was embarrassing. Finally we were placed in the third row with no problem. Once around on the ride was good enough for me anyhow.

Afterwards we wandered through the shops and I picked up some button badges. Most of the merchandise hasn’t turned over much from previous years, but it is all very high quality unlike some of the other Universal products. I was eyeing the chocolate cauldrons, but I figured I would visit the Toothsome emporium later.

We wandered out of Diagon Alley and rode Men In Black again, Minion Mayhem, then did the first showing of the T-2 show. After that we rode Transformers and took the train back to IOA.

It was mid day and we needed to get to Disney Springs to activate our APs and buy our TIW card. So we decided to split from the park and maybe come back later in the afternoon since IOA was open later and there was no private event that evening.

Disney Springs & City Walk later

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter