The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fatigue increased last night and was feeling a bit dizzy too so I stayed home from work today. I wonder if part of that is due to dehydration from Saturday. Let's just say my GI tract was um, "overstimulated". :rotfl2:

Funny, that you mention this. I was just saying at work last week, since when did we become so critical of a vaccine's efficacy rates & we stop to compare brands ? Most of my coworkers don't even know the name of or manufacturer of the flu shot we received in November. They don't know how many or which strains were included with the vaccine. I looked it up at the time but I don't remember any of it except that there were 4 strains and one of them was H1N1. I can't recall thinking of any of these things when I got my last tetanus shot.
Suddenly, we are accustomed to 95% effective so we're all critcal when it's 70%??? :scratchin
Again, it's unrealistic to compare the flu virus with COVID for a number of reasons.

Plus, it's the 50% or so efficacy numbers against the new strains that are making the rounds - and prompting vaccine manufacturers themselves to think about boosters, reformulations, and double doses.

Got the news my parents are getting shot #1 this week so that is a huge relief. Honestly though being mid to late 40s I don't hold out a lot of hope for me even though I am working in an essential biotech field. Fingers crossed it is sooner than later.

Phase 3 trial of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine candidate is reporting a 92% efficacy in the interim:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/02/spu...effective-in-late-stage-trial-the-lancet.html
Highlights:
* Phase 3 trials involved about 20,000 participants so far, and the efficacy among those 60 or over also seemed consistent
* 100% efficacy against severity
* It's a two-dose vaccine, but a one-dose trial is also underway with an expected efficacy of 'around 73%-85%'.
* Deep freeze not needed
* Reported annual capacity of about a billion doses
* No data on its efficacy against the new strains, but a statement in December from the company showed confidence against at least the UK variant

Those involved in testing have previously offered to help AstraZeneca to tweak its own - and they might offer it to J&J as well.

Again, it's unrealistic to compare the flu virus with COVID for a number of reasons.

Plus, it's the 50% or so efficacy numbers against the new strains that are making the rounds - and prompting vaccine manufacturers themselves to think about boosters, reformulations, and double doses.
I wasn’t comparing covid to the flu at all. I was saying how people are comparing vaccine brands (not just here but in work,home, neighbors, etc) and each brand’s efficacy rates which was never discussed in the past. No one seemed to care until now.

So I got my first shot yesterday. I thought it would be Pfizer, but it was Moderna...anyway, my arm is a little sore...not bad...no swelling or redness, just feels like a mild bruise. I had a strange taste...not a bad taste...just a strange taste...in my mouth for about an hour yesterday. The main difference I've noticed is I'm drinking a lot more water, even though I don't have dry mouth.

Do you do pushups right after the shot?
Immediately after? No. The VA makes you wait in your vehicle for 15 minutes (if you have a reaction) then it's 25 minutes drive home. But once I'm in the house, YES, start knocking them out, 25 every hour. We got home around noon so 250 PU by bedtime (skipped the dinner hour). I use to be able to knock out 50 at one time (good old PT test) but now I pace myself at 25 every hour.

For those who are watching the arrival of vaccines to your state, are you seeing a big difference in the amounts of Pfizer and Moderna?

In my state we have gotten 2x as much Moderna

I got my significant other an appointment for their first shot

I swear, you need to refresh these websites like crazy

Its literally covid vaccine fast pass

Sounds like when we were trying to book the inaugural Hawaii cruise that was sold out, had to check back many times a day for I think a week or so before we got lucky.

For those who are watching the arrival of vaccines to your state, are you seeing a big difference in the amounts of Pfizer and Moderna?

Not here in CA. DH just got his 2nd Pfizer yesterday, and DM is scheduled for her 2nd Moderna later this month. Nobody was given a choice here - it just depended on which health care system they belong to.

No, I haven't. Anecdotally I do know more people personally who have gotten Moderna though.

For those who are watching the arrival of vaccines to your state, are you seeing a big difference in the amounts of Pfizer and Moderna?In my state we have gotten 2x as much Moderna
New Mexico didn't say how many of each manufacturer vaccine but gave out the who information:

SANTA FE – As of Wednesday, New Mexico has received 49,625 doses of COVID-19 vaccines developed by biotech companies Pfizer and Moderna, and had administered 83 percent of them in locations statewide, including rural areas.

New Mexico Health Secretary-designate Tracie Collins said 41,075 shots had been administered among the two population groups at the front of the line for the vaccinations: frontline healthcare workers receive the Pfizer vaccine, while Moderna's vaccine is distributed to residents and staff of long-term care facilities.

The VA had only Pfizer for our #1 (Jan 14) and both by the time #2 came around (Feb 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter