'THE TRIP' discussion.

The trip is at its best when they do road trips or fun Orlando things. Visuals are a huge huge plus to this show - I love the JL and Tess chemistry but can we get Kathy on there one day too :)

Their viewer feedback is also incredible.

When the show first started, I sent an email basically stating how happy I was with their interaction, their personalities and the work they put into it but that I couldn't understand why they were always focused on off park attractions. I said the majority of viewers likely tune in because we love spending time at WDW and many of us would prefer they focus on unique or little known things to do on property. Maybe approach it from their own perspectives as Moms with kids, or women traveling solo for a day on property, etc. I don't think I was rude but I was a bit critical.

A few weeks later, I received an incredibly thoughtful, well-written and detailed reply from JL. The gist of it was that The Trip was conceived to address off park attractions and places of interest because this is the niche that needed to be filled. Other shows like DIS Unplugged focus upon WDW and the Universal Edition addresses Universal. The Trip's mandate is to be something else. In the weeks between my initial email and her reply, I had watched The Trip each week and had really warmed up to it. Its fair to say that a lot of that warmth flows from the incredible personalities of JL, Teresa, Dustin and now Craig. I replied to JL's email (a bit sheepishly) and thanked her for her response and for the show because in that time I had grown to better understand what The Trip is about.

Even though I get it and love it for what it is, part of me would still love The Trip (even more) if it could take a once a month trip onto WDW resort properties like the Poly or WL to report on seasonal activities, new restaurant menus, new bar experiences (eg Trader Sams), etc. Maybe ride the on property transportation like the monorail, the bus and the boat to get from one spot to another and address transfers and where you have to go and what you have to take if eg you just had dinner at Sanaa but now want to get to the beach at the Poly to watch the fireworks. Possibly look at a non-park day and what to do including Disney Springs, resort hopping, etc. There also seem to be quite a few DVC owners/renters on the boards and while I'm not one and don't have much interest in becoming one, there is likely an audience out there hungry for more info about renting DVC points, which properties to stay at, what restaurants on DVC properties are worth going to, etc. I think JL is a DVC owner (or was in the past) so she has the background to jump into this. I know that DIS Unplugged has done incredible work with the 7-in-7 series re resorts and sometimes discusses DVC issues, but given how much new stuff there seems to be every month at resort properties, there likely wouldn't be that much overlap and it might lift some of the workload off the shoulders of the DIS Unplugged staff. Judging from some of the posts on this thread, I think others would also be receptive to this.

Its a hard balance. The Trip has to be new and different. But selling new and different to WDW lovers who really love to hear about WDW isn't always easy. Kudos to JL, Teresa and Craig for braving new waters!

Even though I get it and love it for what it is, part of me would still love The Trip (even more) if it could take a once a month trip onto WDW resort properties like the Poly or WL to report on seasonal activities, new restaurant menus, new bar experiences (eg Trader Sams), etc. Maybe ride the on property transportation like the monorail, the bus and the boat to get from one spot to another and address transfers and where you have to go and what you have to take if eg you just had dinner at Sanaa but now want to get to the beach at the Poly to watch the fireworks. Possibly look at a non-park day and what to do including Disney Springs, resort hopping, etc. There also seem to be quite a few DVC owners/renters on the boards and while I'm not one and don't have much interest in becoming one, there is likely an audience out there hungry for more info about renting DVC points, which properties to stay at, what restaurants on DVC properties are worth going to, etc.

Its a hard balance. The Trip has to be new and different. But selling new and different to WDW lovers who really love to hear about WDW isn't always easy.
I think everything you suggest would be great material for a show but I don't necessarily agree that The Trip is the show to do that. As someone who always stays offsite and regularly does offsite attractions and dines at offsite restaurants when we visit WDW, I love that there is finally a show devoted to that often ignored demographic. There are those of us who don't want all Disney all the time. There are plenty of sources for onsite information (The DIS, Attractions Magazine, etc.) but few that focus on offsite.

That said, I'd love a show that does what you suggest and really focuses on specific experiences onsite. Maybe that can be the next extension of the DIS Unplugged line of shows.

Isn't what you're describing kinda do what they did on the segments every week?
Now with Dustin gone and the segment show on hiatus, it's not happening, but they generally covered things like restaurants, other activities and also things like the Halloween and Christmas parties.
I think that show you're lamenting for isn't the trip, it's the segment coming back in maybe a slightly different format

I think that show you're lamenting for isn't the trip, it's the segment coming back in maybe a slightly different format
This could be quite true. For me, on reflection, it maybe doesn't matter so much "where it is discussed" providing some of this new resort specific information is discussed. I only stay onsite so the idea of renting a car to drive off to International Drive or such doesn't really appeal to me. I may be a captive of the Mouse but I'm a pretty happy one considering that I don't have to deal with a GPS, road tolls, and issues about whether that extra margarita at La Cava was a bad idea if I have to drive. Part of the reason why looking at the resorts and their amenities for after park hrs and days off really appeals.

I do think Teresa, JL & Craig would provide a fun, different spin on this and this is why The Trip as "the place where" initially appealed so much (at least to me). However, Ryno is the man and he would do an exceptional job covering a lot of this. Even solo segments would work. Ryno could take it and run with it. Strap a go pro onto Ryno and let him have fun. Sorry, Ryno if that's sounds daunting or kinda weird. Its just that if anyone could do it, you could. Two thumbs up!

Kathy has an exceptional knowledge of WDW, its transpo and the resorts. I always enjoyed her segments with Teresa and that pairing would also be well received.

I guess it is really just a wait and see situation until the New Year. Who knows what January will bring? Maybe a DIS Unplugged 2nd segment that really knocks it out of the park. Fingers crossed!

I think the bottom line is that we all simply want MORE DIS! As Craig puts it, we all want to "ingest" everything they have to throw our way. I'd be perfectly happy if they put out a show every day. There is certainly more than enough to talk about both on and offsite. I realize that isn't feasible as they do actually have jobs besides the podcast but I can dream.

I think the bottom line is that we all simply want MORE DIS! As Craig puts it, we all want to "ingest" everything they have to throw our way. I'd be perfectly happy if they put out a show every day. There is certainly more than enough to talk about both on and offsite. I realize that isn't feasible as they do actually have jobs besides the podcast but I can dream.
I concur....with it all. :)

This could be quite true. For me, on reflection, it maybe doesn't matter so much "where it is discussed" providing some of this new resort specific information is discussed. I only stay onsite so the idea of renting a car to drive off to International Drive or such doesn't really appeal to me. I may be a captive of the Mouse but I'm a pretty happy one considering that I don't have to deal with a GPS, road tolls, and issues about whether that extra margarita at La Cava was a bad idea if I have to drive. Part of the reason why looking at the resorts and their amenities for after park hrs and days off really appeals.

I do think Teresa, JL & Craig would provide a fun, different spin on this and this is why The Trip as "the place where" initially appealed so much (at least to me). However, Ryno is the man and he would do an exceptional job covering a lot of this. Even solo segments would work. Ryno could take it and run with it. Strap a go pro onto Ryno and let him have fun. Sorry, Ryno if that's sounds daunting or kinda weird. Its just that if anyone could do it, you could. Two thumbs up!

Kathy has an exceptional knowledge of WDW, its transpo and the resorts. I always enjoyed her segments with Teresa and that pairing would also be well received.

I guess it is really just a wait and see situation until the New Year. Who knows what January will bring? Maybe a DIS Unplugged 2nd segment that really knocks it out of the park. Fingers crossed!
I tend to agree with all of this.
I'm currently re-listening to the 101 segments that Kathy and Teresa did, but for some reason, I've never been able to download the world showcase part 1 episode. :-(
I too concur

I wasn't sure about it at first, but the show has really grown on me. I find it very entertaining.

I love The Trip and really enjoy that they go off on random tangents. I miss Dustin, but Craig has filled his shoes well and, thankfully, I don't think the show has lost any of its magic with Dustin leaving. Basically I don't care what you three talk about as long as you keep talking so I can keep listening!

I really enjoyed the show this week as it gave me something new to try in ICE, however ladies, please don't sing anymore. Just kidding, the exit out at the end of each show makes me smile.

Actually, I just thought I've something I'd love to hear about. Could Corey and Julie take the kids to Legoland (and stay in the Legoland hotel) then do a guest appearance? From what I understand it is aimed at pretty young children, but it sounds fantastic for the little ones. I've only read the Legoland website though so would love to hear an actual experience. Especially of the hotel which sounds like an experience in itself and is tempting me to add a couple of nights there on my next trip. (ha which isn't until 2020, yes I'm planning ahead!)

I took my youngest niece to Legoland 2 years ago (when she was 8 yrs old) & found it a wonderful value for young children under 10 yrs. We didn't stay in any of their associated hotels so no experience there. However, the park admission was a great deal (I also had one of the kids get in free with adult admission coupon from the back of a lego brick bag) so it was great value all round. The rides are definitely geared for younger children. As in very young children. No thrill rides here. However, she loved the earn your drivers license experience. We also watched one of the lego 3d movies and it was a hit. She adored the lego mini city building diarama thing and snacked on the apple fries. The water park wasn't open at the time but she wouldn't have wanted to do it anyway. We went in early Nov 2 yrs ago and the park was almost empty. A ghost town. Is this a park for adults? Well, you'd have to be a true lego fan and even then it probably wouldn't hold your attention for more than a few hrs. I didn't see any exclusive lego buys or bricks that would make it an AFOL destination (adult fan of lego). We were pretty much done in 6 hrs including lunch so spending more than a day might be a stretch for any family. I struggle to understand how the Lego hotels are breaking even unless they have contracts with tour groups from outside the US.

How about a Coco Key Trip?

T on the water slides could be fun

Ha. I said in a previous post that they occasionally talk about things that aren't relevant to me because we don't venture from WDW, but that I listen anyway because it's still enjoyable.

And now I find out that two places they reviewed in recent episodes, Shake Shack and that "escape" place, are both coming to our town in the next year.

Nice timing, gang! :)

Shake Shack and that "escape" place, are both coming to our town in the next year.
That is a benefit to them reviewing chain restaurants since even if you won't be dining at the one in Orlando, you may encounter one at home or elsewhere.

That said, we generally avoid chain restaurants and I much prefer when they review local independent places so that we have new places to check out when we're in town.

That is a benefit to them reviewing chain restaurants since even if you won't be dining at the one in Orlando, you may encounter one at home or elsewhere.

That said, we generally avoid chain restaurants and I much prefer when they review local independent places so that we have new places to check out when we're in town.
And while chain restaurants have the same menu and order from the same suppliers (generally) the experience can, and most likely will, be completely different. At the end of the day they're under different management, different chefs, different wait staff etc.

And while chain restaurants have the same menu and order from the same suppliers (generally) the experience can, and most likely will, be completely different. At the end of the day they're under different management, different chefs, different wait staff etc.
True. I do think it's helpful, though, to get a general feel for the place. What do they serve? How are the prices? It at least gives you a decent idea of what to expect when you walk into Yardhouse or Miller's Ale House, or some other national chain.

I took my youngest niece to Legoland 2 years ago (when she was 8 yrs old) & found it a wonderful value for young children under 10 yrs. We didn't stay in any of their associated hotels so no experience there. However, the park admission was a great deal (I also had one of the kids get in free with adult admission coupon from the back of a lego brick bag) so it was great value all round. The rides are definitely geared for younger children. As in very young children. No thrill rides here. However, she loved the earn your drivers license experience. We also watched one of the lego 3d movies and it was a hit. She adored the lego mini city building diarama thing and snacked on the apple fries. The water park wasn't open at the time but she wouldn't have wanted to do it anyway. We went in early Nov 2 yrs ago and the park was almost empty. A ghost town. Is this a park for adults? Well, you'd have to be a true lego fan and even then it probably wouldn't hold your attention for more than a few hrs. I didn't see any exclusive lego buys or bricks that would make it an AFOL destination (adult fan of lego). We were pretty much done in 6 hrs including lunch so spending more than a day might be a stretch for any family. I struggle to understand how the Lego hotels are breaking even unless they have contracts with tour groups from outside the US.

Thanks! My daughter will be nearly 5 when we go. Of course, she is only 6 months old now so I don't yet know if she is going to like lego or not but I'm hoping she will because her dad and I love it. :)

We really wanted to go when we were there a couple of years ago, I'm glad we didn't since you say it probably wouldn't be great for just adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter