• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Sky’s Awake, so I’m Awake, so we have to RUN!! – A 2017 Goofy Challenge Trip Report*COMPLETE*

January 8 – RACE DAY!!! Marathon Part 4 – On the road again…

After exiting Magic Kingdom you end up doing the next few miles on just some stretches of road that don’t give you much room to move. While there are some things and characters along in here, we chose not to stop much in favor of regaining some time. Additionally the characters we did see had some longer lines. Again, I was in a little bit of a daze moving through here, so I probably have some things out of order and no pictures to help me remember!!

As I mentioned, you leave Magic Kingdom at around the 6 mile mark and don’t enter Animal Kingdom until a little after the 10 mile mark, so it’s 4 miles or so along these roads. This road initially takes you past the Grand Floridian and past the Golf Course. I do know there was a character on the golf course, but can’t for the life of me remember who it was. Obviously, we didn’t stop. :oops:

I do think though it was somewhere along here that we saw Lilo and Stitch. While I think we have gotten a shot with them before on a race, the line wasn’t bad and it was easily accessible for us, so we jumped in.

IMG_3574_zpsu18p7zjr.jpg

Hey, I look almost normal here! Winner!!

On we cruised and we were still feeling good and just trying to work our way through these tight quarters. It does eventually open back up though and you get a bit more room to move. It might be around here as well that there is usually a Mary Poppins character set up. We had gotten a shot with Mary back in 2015 and as we went by this year it was the Penguins. The line was pretty long, so we again opted to pass them by.

I do remember passing some strange vehicles that I frankly didn’t recognize, but read here later that they were old ride vehicles from rides that no longer exist – which is cool. We didn’t know what they were so passed them by.

I was looking now for the traditional Villain set up that they’ve always had. I was really hoping for a Maleficient moment, but sadly no such luck. Instead we saw the Big Bad Wolf ahead. I wasn’t necessarily excited about that, but assumed he was my only Villain opportunity and the line wasn’t too bad, so why not?

IMG_3573_zpsczo8wpyk.jpg

And…the strange posing has returned. :rolleyes1

Going into mile 11, there’s a short little out and back thing on a side road. I was not a fan. It was really tight again here and tough to keep doing our intervals without a lot of weaving in and out. We keep trying to stay to the edge, but there were these BIG drainage grates that were on a heavy slant and I kept worrying I was going to trip, fall or twist an ankle being over that far. It was kinda nice to see other runners and wave at them as they headed back, but I had to concentrate so much on my footing I just wanted this part over. I know they had to add some of this extra in to make up for the mileage lost from the speedway, but is there not a better way to do it than this?

Anyway, complaining aside, I was also watching my time closely because I was hoping to hit AK shortly around opening time because I wanted to try to ride EE. I knew Chris wouldn’t because of his motion sickness concerns, but I asked him if he cared it I tried and he said it was fine. Still we didn’t get into AK until maybe 9:20 or so, so I was worried about whether they would route runners through as quickly.

It was so nice to be back in a park though. YAY! We cruised past the animals they had out as you went in – seemed to be a lot of goats this year – and headed into the park. My favorite park. There were already park visitors there who were blocked off from crossing the running paths but most seemed happy to cheer us along. Hey, there beautiful!

IMG_3590_zpswf11aluz.jpg

Shortly after we were at EE and I peeled off to check into riding. I was directed to the single rider line and as I got down around the corner and got in line saw a substantial line of runners ahead of me. I debated a short time about waiting, but knowing how slow we were going and all the other stops we already made, I just decided it wasn’t meant to be and headed back out to find Chris. I was disappointed, but whatever, just didn’t work out this time.

We curled around through Dinoland

IMG_3572_zps2pe8ktjs.jpg

and eventually found ourselves leaving the park and running through the parking lot for the start of some long miles ahead with no more park time for about 9 miles.

Next up: WWoS, Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the big finish!!

I didn't stop for anyone along the resorts or golf courses. The Genie was out at the golf course. Normally they have Goofy or Donald there in golf gear.

I did stop for those vehicles though! I thought that was the coolest stop ever. It was the Nautilus from the 20,000 leagues under the sea attraction, Rocket Rods (what was before Astro Orbiter), Snow White's scary adventures, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I hit AK/EE at about 9:05 so I got lucky and was only in a single rider line of about 5 people. The regular line was much longer. They said they weren't running the ride full capacity due to the cold too.

Can't wait to hear about that 9 mile stretch and the finish!

Vacation/Tourist Genie was at the golf course. I remember being bummed because I was hoping it would be a classic in golf attire! :rotfl: And I DON'T remember seeing Lilo and Stitch, so you weren't the only one in a daze! Maybe a team effort between you and me can produce a full character list for the race! :rotfl2:

I was disappointed that there was no big villains photo-op. :( Still liked BBW though.
Going into mile 11, there’s a short little out and back thing on a side road.
SHORT?! I felt like that out & back went on forever!! Yes I agree that surely they can come up with a better way to add distance!!

Cute Tree of Life picture! You two take such cute selfies!

Sorry that the EE ride didn't happen for you! :( Never happens for me either.

Loving this!! :yay:

I didn't stop for anyone along the resorts or golf courses. The Genie was out at the golf course. Normally they have Goofy or Donald there in golf gear.

I did stop for those vehicles though! I thought that was the coolest stop ever. It was the Nautilus from the 20,000 leagues under the sea attraction, Rocket Rods (what was before Astro Orbiter), Snow White's scary adventures, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I hit AK/EE at about 9:05 so I got lucky and was only in a single rider line of about 5 people. The regular line was much longer. They said they weren't running the ride full capacity due to the cold too.

Can't wait to hear about that 9 mile stretch and the finish!

Genie!! That was it. I was surprised it was him since it's always been Goofy or Donald or Mickey there that I recall. I didn't know they weren't running full capacity, so I feel even more so that it was the right decision to bail out. I bet I would have been there quite some time.

Vacation/Tourist Genie was at the golf course. I remember being bummed because I was hoping it would be a classic in golf attire! :rotfl: And I DON'T remember seeing Lilo and Stitch, so you weren't the only one in a daze! Maybe a team effort between you and me can produce a full character list for the race! :rotfl2:

I was disappointed that there was no big villains photo-op. :( Still liked BBW though.

SHORT?! I felt like that out & back went on forever!! Yes I agree that surely they can come up with a better way to add distance!!

Cute Tree of Life picture! You two take such cute selfies!

Sorry that the EE ride didn't happen for you! :( Never happens for me either.

Loving this!! :yay:

Yes! We can combine our brains to remember the whole race. Actually reading somebody else's report (maybe @Barca33Runner ) reminded me of Wreck it Ralph and Vanelope who we bypassed around AK. I actually wanted to stop for that one, but the line was long and we were past the end of it before I realized who it was. Boo!

Well, I also felt like that out and back went on forever, but I was looking at a course map to try and remember exactly where it was and realized it's probably only about a mile in total. But that was one loooooong mile. I really hope they don't keep the course the way it is with that in there. I thought it was pretty hazardous to runners.

You guys are making it look so easy!

You should know something about me...I will always ham it up for a camera, so pictures don't always tell the whole story. Shhhh.

Great update again. I love Lilo and Stitch. Stitch is my favourite :)

That was a fun stop and I was surprised the line wasn't longer. Stitch is a hoot!

I'm loving this report! AK is my favourite too, especially to run in! How early does EE start running on Marathon day?
Thanks! AK is just the prettiest park, right? That was one reason I wanted to run the W&D race so badly to go through AK at night. Sadly the shortened W&D run of 2015 cut out AK. :(

I think they start running it shortly before park open. When we went through back in 2015, we were there just a bit before park open and there was a CM motioning people to jump in the line. I'm not sure they really start it up too much sooner than that though, so for the speedsters I think they often miss out on riding it if they get through AK too soon.

Add me to the list of those that didn't enjoy the out and back! It seemed to go on for a long way (or at least that isn't what it felt like) and the dj's music seemed too loud. *I see my younger self rolling her eyes on the too loud music comment*

Yeah I agree a marathon looks downright enjoyable through your pictures! You look so cute in the Lilo and Stitch pic!

And great picture by the Tree of Life. Animal Kingdom is just so freakin' awesome.

January 8 – RACE DAY!!! Marathon Part 5 – On to the WWoS and the wheels start to fall off

As you leave Animal Kingdom, I always feel a bit of a let down because there’s a significant number of difficult miles ahead. You are past the halfway point which always feels good, but for me is also where the race can start getting difficult.

For those who think we make running a marathon look easy, prepare to hear the reality…

I had a very tough training year with some injuries (most recently being a very bad case of plantar fasciitis) that severely curtailed my training. I did manage to get back to a fairly decent final long run weekend, but I was definitely worried about how I would fare in the marathon.

During this long stretch of road, you cover around 3 miles on Osceola Parkway before turning off into the Wide World of Sports area. This is always a difficult stretch for me as there’s not much going on and after a couple of miles you begin seeing runners who are well ahead of you heading back from WWoS and turning off to head for Hollywood Studios. I always find myself wishing so much I were where they are.

Additionally, around mile 16 or so, I was really starting to fight fatigue and some beginning of pain in my heel from the plantar fasciitis. I suggested to Chris that we switch up intervals and alternate miles – so for one mile run for :60 and walk for :30 and then the next mile run for :30 and walk for :60. This worked to get me along Osceola and into WWoS. Sorry for no pictures here, but there’s just not a lot of excitement along in here, plus I was just sort of pushing through.

Still, eventually we turned into WWoS and although this is not an area I particularly love, it did at least bring some entertainment and change of scenery into place – so YAY!!

After turning into the area, you eventually wind up on a track for one circle and as we were nearing the last turn, we saw Sports Goofy ahead. Even though our Goofy run wasn’t truly accurate with the missing half-marathon, we still wanted to get a shot and the line was quite short!

IMG_3570_zpsa7hnxjck.jpg

Nice to be getting some character meets again! We continued on through a few more twists and turns and next we were approaching the run through the stadium. This often gets touted as a highlight by runDisney and frankly I never find it that exciting, but it also means there is usually a character meet right before entering and I was so excited when I saw who it was!!!

IMG_3569_zpszlbkgalz.jpg

We did have to wait several minutes for this, but I had a nice conversation with some ladies in line about INKnBURN (the capris I was wearing) and Sparkle Skirts and the beauty of sizeable pockets in running attire. Chris tends to be a bit of a pessimist (he would say realist) and I’m more of an optimist, so I persuaded him to mimic Sadness and I would mimic Joy.

Hahahaha! I love this shot. It’s a major victory for me over other years to get Chris to ham it up with me in these shots.

Next we were off into the stadium. They usually have a couple of photographers in here and you can see yourself on the big screen (which I always miss).

IMG_3568_zpsqdjx30ha.jpg

Still trying to stay happy through here even though I think my fatigue is clearly starting to show.

Anyway, out we went and headed our way back out of the complex.

Eventually we did make the turn back out onto Osceola drive near the 21 mile mark. As we were leaving the complex we did see the final runners who had clearly fallen behind the balloon ladies (who we never actually saw) and feared that they were going to be picked up soon by the parade bus. It really made me sad to think they had gotten that far but likely wouldn’t be able to finish. :(

At this point, my heels on both legs were causing me quite a bit of pain and my legs were just feeling shot so we started walking a great deal more. I knew I was fine to finish, but was disappointed I wasn’t feeling stronger. Still, I knew that Hollywood Studios wasn’t far ahead and from there the push to the finish would be on us.

Next up: Hollywood Studios, a new character meet, Epcot with the best characters of all and the big finish!!

Add me to the list of those that didn't enjoy the out and back! It seemed to go on for a long way (or at least that isn't what it felt like) and the dj's music seemed too loud. *I see my younger self rolling her eyes on the too loud music comment*

Oh my gosh! I had totally forgotten about the DJ until you said that. I think Chris and I both complained about how loud the music was as well. Next thing you know we'll be standing on our front porch yelling, "Hey you kids, get off my lawn!"

Yeah I agree a marathon looks downright enjoyable through your pictures! You look so cute in the Lilo and Stitch pic!

And great picture by the Tree of Life. Animal Kingdom is just so freakin' awesome.

Aw thanks! I'm so happy to have people on here sharing the love for Animal Kingdom. I remember going there the first time after hearing people complain about it and that it's a "half-day park" and we got there and absolutely fell in love with it.

Oh shoot! I'm sorry that your heels started hurting! That sounds smart to change up your intervals. Variety like that helps me get through mentally at least.

going on and after a couple of miles you begin seeing runners who are well ahead of you
I hate this about any long race. Most of the races in my city finish along our canal, so you can always see across the waterway to those approaching the chute and finish line, while you know you still have another 3 miles minimum to get over the bridge and on to the other side. I know some people find this inspiring, but for me is is just so discouraging!
perp
Chris to ham it up with me in these shots.
That is great! Seriously Disney pictures should be FUN! This is not real life!

fatigue is clearly starting to show
UHMMM...Nope, you still look fantastic!!

If you saw the final runners, I must've been pretty close to you guys. I saw the balloon ladies heading into ESPN as I was leaving. :eek:

I LOVE that picture with Sadness and Joy!! Way to go @Chris-Mo! :yay:

That stinks that you were starting to feel the miles at this point - smart to switch up your intervals like that! Also - you are WEARING those capris! :thumbsup2 You look great in them! :yay:

I thankfully never saw the balloon ladies. That helped me knowing I had a good buffer.

Great picture with Joy and Sadness! I did not stop for them or Goofy.

Can't wait for that finish!

Love all your pictures, that sun burst coming through with Lilo & Stitch is awesome & I think your poses are great! I'm jealous of the Big Bad Wolf, very cool photo & sports Goofy, so neat! Better getting into it even if goofy looking than looking all stiff I think. So, I feel your plantar fasciatis pain & running a marathon with it you are tough! I bought some superfeet green inserts for high arches and they are okay, but don't know if they are helping or not really. Luckily it's just my left foot & haven't had any shooting pains since using them & took a week off of running, but still my foot is so tired/achey. I thought it was boots, but now just thinking it was running with out extra supports maybe, I really don't know. Anyway I"m rambling, but I'm anxious to hear the rest & hope your feet held up & no shooting pains. Oh & your husband is amazing running a marathon so soon after surgery!

I have stayed up far to late, and binged-read your report! I am enjoying it so much!

I am trying to figure out how to convince my husband to do a runDisney race with me. Just for the characters!

I love that the Big Bad Wolf was there! I think the "rare" characters are the best. My mom has a picture of me with him AND the 3 little pigs in the Magic Kingdom from 1974 :)
It's very interesting hearing all about the path you guys take on the race since I've never done it! Sorry your heels started bothering you, I can imagine the disappointment but for being in pain you still look good and seem to have kept a positive attitude. I'm getting tired just reading how far you've run lol!

January 8 – RACE DAY!!! Marathon Part 6 – Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the FINISH!!!

After making the turn back onto Osceola and the trek on to Hollywood Studios, the heel pain started to worsen. I tried here and there to keep running, but it was quite the struggle, so we pretty much just settled into a steady walk and decided if all else failed, we would just walk it in.

This stretch is tough with again little to distract you until you make the turn to head up the overpass and eventually on to Hollywood Studios. They do always have Sarge stationed here since there’s a pretty steep little hill here to get up. He’s usually encouraging everyone (in that Army way ;) ) to charge on up the hill. Chris gave him a “Hooah” as we went past and got one in return.

Finally once at the top of the hill, you make a right turn back onto World Drive and you did get to enjoy a nice long downhill to the back entrance of Hollywood Studios. I think I did try to run a bit here and there along this stretch but mostly my legs and heels were having none of it. I was disappointed to be walking so much, but frankly, it was okay and I knew that I’d finish and that the final few miles would be more enjoyable, so I did manage not to get too downtrodden. It was about here though that I told Chris that maybe marathons just weren’t for me. And I meant it (until a few days later when we started talking about running Dopey in 2018:rotfl2: ). It’s amazing how much running marathons is like childbirth. Once they hand you that shiny medal and you start feeling better you tend to forget how miserable parts of it are.

Anyway, we did finally enter Hollywood Studios only we did take a different path than previous years with all the construction going on, they had to reroute the race. We ran behind Tower of Terror. They were handing out chocolate here and since we were definitely toward the back of the pack, they were cautioning people to only take one, so they must have been running low. I really hope they didn’t run out completely.

We made the turn though and saw an awesome character ahead. One I’d never seen out on the races before.

IMG_3567_zpsc6hlzcvz.jpg

Oswald! Unfortunately the photographer snapped it before Chris was ready, so he wasn’t looking at the camera. BOO! Still it was cool to see him and get this shot. I totally couldn’t remember his name at the time because Chris was asking me who he was and I couldn’t tell him!

We ran on through Hollywood Studios and headed out into the parking lot and to make the trek along the Boardwalk. I do love this part of the race because crowd support is usually wonderful, but it can again get pretty crowded. Since we’d dropped so far back into the pack of runners though nearly everyone was walking, so I at least didn’t feel like we were clogging up the pathway too much, but we did try to stay aware of anyone passing us and get out of the way.

We’d been texting our kids throughout the morning trying to let them know when to meet up with us in Epcot. Finally as we got ready to enter, we told them to meet up with us in Germany and have a pretzel! I think they’d been waiting quite awhile for us, so they’d edge their way up a bit but eventually we saw them!! It was so fun to see them on the course and you know we had to get a picture with the best characters we could ever see.

IMG_3591_zpspexcxp3j.jpg

We said goodbye to them and told them we’d see them at the hotel when we finished and on we went. And, let me tell you, we devoured that pretzel in short order! You enter Epcot right around mile 25, so there is just that final 1 mile through the park, but, man, I was shot and just wanted to be done. Still as we got into Germany, I told Chris I really wanted a beer to finish out the run. We pulled over to the beer stand and got into the line (there were maybe 6 people ahead of us) and immediately they all were waving us forward. I told them, “No. No. We don’t want to cut into line.” And they all still insisted. One guy said, “It’s tradition!” So, we quickly bought a beer to share and thanked everyone in line and headed back out.

Boy, was I glad we bought that beer. The distraction of it and the yummy taste definitely made the last mile go by much more quickly and cheered me immensely. As this picture should clearly attest.
IMG_3457_zpsgxgvsxxk.jpg

There are always lots of park-goers here and most are happy to cheer you along. There are also always lots more photographers in here, so it’s common to get lots of pictures through here.

IMG_3565_zpscflcyanx.jpg

IMG_3561_zpsnxzrkkvt.jpg

IMG_3603_zpsbvrjdgic.jpg

We finally made the turn and saw the 26 mile marker ahead of us and the gospel choir was singing along as we took the final couple of turns into the finisher chute. This is always such a great feeling to hear and see the crowds cheering and that beautiful finish line looming ahead. I managed to get one last little burst to trot in toward the finish.

We saw Mickey off to the side and ran by him for a quick high five before crossing the finish line.

IMG_3559_zpsti47qcwt.jpg

IMG_3560_zpsvjhvukvs.jpg

And happily with the finish line behind us!

IMG_3592_zpsvatqjjze.jpg

We walked ahead to the line up of awesome volunteers handing out our medals and she graciously offered to take a shot of us.
IMG_3593_zpsooe6utui.jpg

I’m so in love with this year’s Marathon medal. I love that it’s back to having the Mickey head shape more like it has been in some years’ past. We walked on through the finisher’s area and picked up our snack boxes, water, Gatorade and some new mylar wraps and then headed through the challenge tent to pick up our remaining medals.

We were given our half marathon and Goofy medals as well and then went on to the picture taking area. I was not sure I wanted a picture since we really didn’t run the half marathon and thus didn’t really complete the Goofy challenge, but Chris persuaded me to do it and I’m glad he did.
IMG_3557_zpsc5cx5w2k.jpg

This was a tough race weekend for me, but we did do the race the only way we could under the circumstances and so I’m glad we got that final photo.

Pictures done, I was very ready to get back to the hotel. There was a bus waiting for us that was quite full, but we managed to squeeze into the last couple of seats available and settled in for the ride back. We were the last stop on the way back, so it took awhile, but since I was finally sitting I was totally okay with that.

We eventually got back to Beach Club and hobbled our way back to the room and met up with the kids. The plan was for a quick clean-up and then back out to Epcot to enjoy the remainder of the day.

No rest for the weary when I’m planning things!!

Next up: Back into Epcot, Via Napoli and why is it so stinking COLD in Florida?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter