The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

I think getting studios (especially preferred) won't be too difficult. Duos/Garden and 1-3 will be much harder maybe - we shall see!
Studio inventory is so much better at VDH than VGC. In the future, I'm counting on using my direct VGF points for VDH studios at 7 months during the "low" season and reserve my small contract VDH for the busier season. My VCG resale contract (when it closes) is essentially restricted to VGC cause finding a studio at 7 months using other points though not impossible is literally tiring. :surfweb:

WWYD - I'm thinking about March 31 - April 2nd, 2024 and July 2nd - July 4th, 2024 at VDH with a Deluxe Studio. I can borrow 2024 VDH points since I did Magical Beginnings for June 2023 use year and make sure I get the reservations or ..... I rather borrow my 2024 SSR points and wait until the 7 month windows and try to book it or waitlist them. I have 2x as many SSR points and I tend to rent them out. 😕

Last edited:
It must be soooo satisfying for non-VGC owners to snag reservations at the 7 month. I used my VGF points once but the feeling using OKW, SSR etc points must be a fist pump moment. :woohoo:
Using a bunch of AKV points that were going to expire to book a stay for the kiddos b-day in January was a great feeling. Makes me want to be more aggressive and do it a lot more....

I am quizzical. All this talk of finances can miss the most fundamental purpose of these contracts: pleasure.

Although not the most popular opinion on this thread I do agree that if I had to choose between the two VGC would win hands down. For most of the reasons you have stated and it's our dream resort. IMO nothing compares in the DVC portfolio with perhaps Aulani but that's a totally different thing. To us, a great 4 to 6 night stay at VGC and park hopping between the two parks is peak Disney bubble/bliss.

With that said I did do a lot of visiting to Disneyland Hotel and walk arounds to get a feel of the vibe and I'm totally sold on VDH (so glad I don't have to pick). Some PROs in the VDH column -

• It's the OG mouse house and it does have it's charm.
  • The pool is a bit more fun for the kiddos.
  • It has a bit more energy than the Grand Cal but at the same time way way less foot traffic/madness - yes I'm talking to you... the couple who though it would be a good idea to have your entire family hold court at the entrance to storytellers to plan the remainder of your trip...
  • I love the style especially the grand villa...

I'll likely always try and have a good chunk more points at VGC, but I'm glad to mix it up with some VDH in the mix :)

Studio inventory is so much better at VDH than VGC. In the future, I'm counting on using my direct VGF points for VDH studios at 7 months during the "low" season and reserve my small contract VDH for the busier season. My VCG resale contract (when it closes) is essentially restricted to VGC cause finding a studio at 7 months using other points though not impossible is literally tiring. :surfweb:
good plan!

WWYD - I'm thinking about March 31 - April 2nd, 2024 and July 2nd - July 4th, 2024 at VDH with a Deluxe Studio. I can borrow 2024 VDH points since I did Magical Beginnings for June 2023 use year and make sure I get the reservations or ..... I rather borrow my 2024 SSR points and wait until the 7 month windows and try to book it or waitlist them. I have 2x as many SSR points and I tend to rent them out. 😕
IMHO, the 2 dates you are looking to book would be the busy times at DLR. (School spring and summer breaks). I would try to reserve your 3/31-4/2 trip using SSR (knowing there is a risk you may not get a studio at 7 months). If you used VDH/SSR and your vacation plans fall through, your VDH/SSR points would have to be used by 5/31/24 since you essentially borrowed your 2024 points to be used as 2023 points. Renting those distressed points could prove challenging and I'd rather take that risk with SSR vs VDH points.
Whereas, it makes sense to reserve your July trip first using VDH points and then see if you can reserve a studio with SSR points at 7 months. When you cancel the VDH point reservation, your points will remain in your June 2024 use year bucket and you would still be able to bank or make future reservations with them and it essentially guarantees your stay in July.

To tack on, I’ve benefit already from the studio inventory. Planned a Feb trip for just me and my wife. Used our Poly points as we sold to Disney our first set of VDH points via Magical Beginnings. Targeted a Deluxe Studio but only had enough points for three nights. Redid the room search not selecting a room type and up popped the Duo Studios for four nights. Just what we wanted.

Arrival day, two days at the parks, and for the last day a shopping-pool-spa before we leave.

Feels like I got a bonus night for free! Let’s keep this a secret for our board thread. ; )

Fellow VDH neighbors. Just a friendly ask/suggestion that you may wish to bug our friends at Shop Disney (guest.services@shopdisney.com) to ask them to add options to order Disneyland Tower (and Riviera if you own there too) to the custom shirts, bags, etc. that we can order from the site. I've ordered a bag for CCV and VGC (and hope to order for AKV soon - waiting for a good sale) and we love them for pool days and for a large bag to help us get our stuff from room A to B during split stays. I just sent a friendly email asking them to please work with DVC to get these resorts as options in the Disney Vacation Club merch you can order/customize. Figure I'd ask for help for any who are also interested to see if we can get the site updated. Riviera has been open for a few years and I hope they don't forget about VDH too :)

Sorry in advance if you see this post in the Riviera owners thread too.

Fellow VDH neighbors. Just a friendly ask/suggestion that you may wish to bug our friends at Shop Disney (guest.services@shopdisney.com) to ask them to add options to order Disneyland Tower (and Riviera if you own there too) to the custom shirts, bags, etc. that we can order from the site. I've ordered a bag for CCV and VGC (and hope to order for AKV soon - waiting for a good sale) and we love them for pool days and for a large bag to help us get our stuff from room A to B during split stays. I just sent a friendly email asking them to please work with DVC to get these resorts as options in the Disney Vacation Club merch you can order/customize. Figure I'd ask for help for any who are also interested to see if we can get the site updated. Riviera has been open for a few years and I hope they don't forget about VDH too :)

Would bugging our DVC guides be better ? 🤣

How was Great America (Santa Clara?), we're going in a couple of weeks and I haven't been there for about 30+ years. lol
We were just there yesterday for lunch and 1 ride (we have the dining plan along with our passes). It’s fun and we love having a local park we can pop into for a few hours from time to time. I like their seasonal stuff, but it does get busy during those times. Last year, we tried to go on the last weekend before Halloween and the security line was so long it went way into the parking lot, so we turned around and left. They have a trick or treat area and fun decorations for photo ops.

The water park is closing for the season soon, and it was packed yesterday. Food is generally very expensive and not impressive… almost $20 for some chicken tenders or a lackluster burger and fries. Our favorite option on the dining plan is Maggie Brown’s for the fried chicken meal. In comparison, food at DLR is actually way better and more economical.

There isn’t nearly as much for younger kids compared to DLR, and there are a lot more thrill rides than we would do since we have little ones. But there’s enough for a few hours, which is how long we tend to go at a time anyway. The kids usually play at the Planet Snoopy playground for a while and do a few of the rides in that area.

Something I love about the GA season pass is that it includes Gilroy Gardens, which is great for younger kids, and their water park is fun too. We haven’t gone for their seasonal events yet but hope to make it this year.

Maybe you all already know about this, but don’t forget to get your photo taken to be part of the VDH mosaic which will be unveiled at opening. This is for all DVC members I believe, not just owners.

https://dvcfan.com/2023/06/30/become-part-of-a-mosaic-at-the-villas-at-disneyland-hotel/?amp=1

Heading down to DLR this Thursday so we plan on getting our photo taken on the last day at Star View Station. Deadline is 8/18.
Anyone who won't be there in person you can also do it from home here:
https://memberstorysnaps.com/

If VDH ends up having as much merch on site as they do for Riviera, then I’ll be a happy gal! I haven’t seen resort ears or Loungeflys for any of my home resorts yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter