• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official DisDads Prayer and Praise Thread

Thanks guys. He has been released home, but no one knows the cause.

It has been a confusing week and I'm still not sure which day it is. The good news is that my dad is now home. He made enough progress in his speech and is strong enough to use a walker to get up by himself and go to the bathroom. The bad news is that he has the type of dementia from the stroke where he can't get his hand to do what it is supposed to. So, feeding himself, holding the phone, and brushing his teeth are a challenge. Of course, he could just use his other hand, but that brings me to the worse news.

I'm not sure if it is just obstinance or what, but he and my mom refused both medications and procedures from the staff. My mom watches Dr. Oz or talks to a friend and then gets her medical wisdom on which procedures to use. And, my dad just goes along with her. One of the doctors wanted to give him a statin for cholesterol, but my mom used her ex-ray vision and determined 20 years ago that all statins caused muscle atrophy in my dad after his by-pass. They also had decided to halve his blood pressure medication because it was more effective at half a dose.

I think this expedited their release from the hospital, but I may be wrong. They have been set up with home health & different therapies, but I'm wondering if they will just end up refusing care. Rant over. Thanks for reading and thanks for your prayers.
Hey Norm... sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he continues to recover quickly.

It has been a confusing week and I'm still not sure which day it is. The good news is that my dad is now home. He made enough progress in his speech and is strong enough to use a walker to get up by himself and go to the bathroom. The bad news is that he has the type of dementia from the stroke where he can't get his hand to do what it is supposed to. So, feeding himself, holding the phone, and brushing his teeth are a challenge. Of course, he could just use his other hand, but that brings me to the worse news.

I'm not sure if it is just obstinance or what, but he and my mom refused both medications and procedures from the staff. My mom watches Dr. Oz or talks to a friend and then gets her medical wisdom on which procedures to use. And, my dad just goes along with her. One of the doctors wanted to give him a statin for cholesterol, but my mom used her ex-ray vision and determined 20 years ago that all statins caused muscle atrophy in my dad after his by-pass. They also had decided to halve his blood pressure medication because it was more effective at half a dose.

I think this expedited their release from the hospital, but I may be wrong. They have been set up with home health & different therapies, but I'm wondering if they will just end up refusing care. Rant over. Thanks for reading and thanks for your prayers.
So sorry for you Norm. Prayers for you and the family

Prayers for your family. I understand about parents behaving badly (medically speaking).

I have similar issues with my mom (like Norm mentioned).

She self medicates all the time... taking herself off of drug x because of a side effect she deems too bad. most often after one day.

Since Dec. she's been in the Hospital 4 times... once for almost a whole month. And she fails to see she's doing it to herself.

My moms issues come from poor liver function due to non-alcoholic cirrhosis. Her body builds up large quantities of fluid which they try to maintain with diuretics... which she keeps taking herself off of... or taking lower doses than prescribed. It's becoming a continuous cycle.

Drain fluid off at hospital (Paracentesis)
Cure her of any other ailments
Send her home
she stop taking meds as prescribe.
retains too much fluid and get a variety of new ailments (pneumonia, cellulitis, etc.)

She came home yesterday from her latest trip. Which started on the 11 for about a week... then she went to a skilled care physicality for some physical rehab... where she wound up going back to the hospital after a week.

She self medicates all the time... taking herself off of drug x because of a side effect she deems too bad. most often after one day.

Since Dec. she's been in the Hospital 4 times... once for almost a whole month. And she fails to see she's doing it to herself.

My moms issues come from poor liver function due to non-alcoholic cirrhosis. Her body builds up large quantities of fluid which they try to maintain with diuretics... which she keeps taking herself off of... or taking lower doses than prescribed. It's becoming a continuous cycle.

Send her home
retains too much fluid and get a variety of new ailments (pneumonia, cellulitis, etc.)

She came home yesterday from her latest trip. Which started on the 11 for about a week... then she went to a skilled care physicality for some physical rehab... where she wound up going back to the hospital after a week.

Prayers for you and your Mom.

Send her home

Will pray for her and your family Nate. Anyway you can sneak her meds into her food without her knowing?

So sorry for you Norm. Prayers for you and the family

Thanks Mike.

Prayers for your family. I understand about parents behaving badly (medically speaking).

Thanks Nate.

Send her home

Prayers for your mom and your family.

Hello DisDads: I havent been on here in a while and I just wanted to send out a Prayer for all of you and your families. I am requesting prayers for my DD (turning 10 tomorrow) who will be having her tonsils taken out on June 11th. Take care.

Hello DisDads: I havent been on here in a while and I just wanted to send out a Prayer for all of you and your families. I am requesting prayers for my DD (turning 10 tomorrow) who will be having her tonsils taken out on June 11th. Take care.

Done and good luck to her. When I was a kid and had my tonsils out, my dad bought a case of root beer and a couple of gallons of ice cream. They were off limits to everyone but me. Really ticked my brother off. Moral of the story, spoil her when she gets home.

Certainly. Prayers for your dd.

Both my dds had their tonsils removed when they were both around 4. The scab thing that came out after a few days was cool. Had they been older and boys, they may have thought it was really cool as well.

Will be praying for her and investing in ice cream.

Done, including a quick recover and Dole Whips

Thanks and praying for her and her medical staff.

Seems like there are several parents needing prayer and I would appreciate you adding my mom to your lists. She went to the MD today and they are thinking she has leukemia. Not easy at any age but she is 75 and had breast cancer in her mid 40's, heart attack and quadruple bypass in her late 50's and now this. She is the one that really holds the extended family together and we would all be lost without her but especially my dad as he is continuing to show more signs of the dementia that run in his side of the family.

Seems like there are several parents needing prayer and I would appreciate you adding my mom to your lists. She went to the MD today and they are thinking she has leukemia. Not easy at any age but she is 75 and had breast cancer in her mid 40's, heart attack and quadruple bypass in her late 50's and now this. She is the one that really holds the extended family together and we would all be lost without her but especially my dad as he is continuing to show more signs of the dementia that run in his side of the family.

Adding her to my prayers.

Prayers for her and your family.

Thoughts and prayers for your mom and your family

I just want to say thank you for all of the prayers and well wishes for my DD. She had her tonsils out yesterdy and everything went well. Now she has a week to be lazy and take it easy, eating lots of ice cream and drink plenty of slushees. I am sending out prayers for all DisDads and their familes. Take care.

I just want to say thank you for all of the prayers and well wishes for my DD. She had her tonsils out yesterdy and everything went well. Now she has a week to be lazy and take it easy, eating lots of ice cream and drink plenty of slushees. I am sending out prayers for all DisDads and their familes. Take care.

Good on her, surgery is bad, ice cream is good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter