The NOT SO SUNNY Flordia DR- COMPLETE

ARTIST POINT

Dinner one night was to be at Artist Point. We had the lucky timing of having this meal scheduled one night when it was really rainy. The last time we dined at Artist Point was about 2 years ago. Since we had an excellent meal that time, we were excited about heading back.

The restaurant is so pretty. Love the paintings near the ceiling.

IMG_0186 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

These 2 make the place look even better to me!

IMG_0177 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Brianna loved the Mickey straws that came with her drink. Love these special touches that you get when dining at a Signature restaurant.

IMG_0183 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Here's a basket of the bread that was given to us. I can't remember too much about it other than we like it. But I do remember liking the truffle butter. Glad to see that Disney is delivering their breads with soft butter now instead of the cold hard stuff that used to be more common.
IMG_0181 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

I was very much looking forward to trying the smokey Portobello soup. It is much beloved here on the dining review boards and it deserves all the love it gets.

IMG_0184 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

This was super creamy and rich. Even Brianna joined in eating this. We loved it and would definitely order it again.

I also got the mixed field greens salad. I love salads and remember this being one of the best I had eaten at WDW. Sadly it has changed and that wasn't the case this time.

IMG_0188 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

The only thing that was the same about this salad from the last time I got it was the granola which was still good. Everything else I didn't like, the figs, the vinaigrette, and the slimy greens.

Brian wanted the crab cake appetizer. He asked that this be doubled in portion and brought to him as meal. Our server asked if he would like a side with it as well and Brian chose broccoli.

IMG_0189 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Brian said these crab cakes were delicious and he was very happy with his choice.

There were several selections for the kids. Our server mentioned many that weren't listed on the menu. Brianna settled on this cheeseburger and fries.

IMG_0187 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

She ate about half of this. Chase had eaten at Roaring Fork and came over to join us after his dinner. He finished it for her and declared it was the best burger he had eaten all trip.

For dessert Brian got the cobbler. I don't remember him sharing a bite of this with anyone. Cobbler is one of his favorite desserts and he loves the black raspberry ice cream on top.

IMG_0191 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

And here's my receipt showing I saved $13.60 with my TIW card. Also I noticed that we weren't charged anymore for Brian adding a side and making his crab cakes a meal since they were $15 a piece for the appetizer. And at $7 Brianna's burger is looking like a bargain.

Artist Point receipt by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

So other than my salad our meal at Artist Point was a great success, from the food to the service and even the price.

And since it was still bad weather we spent the evening wandering around the WL. Here's my two beside the famous totem pole.

IMG_0192 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

And here's a couple of pictures of Wishes from our room.

IMG_0208 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

IMG_0204 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Salad aside what a great meal and pretty affordable signature dinner. We r looking forward to our first AP meal next trip.

So glad you had a good meal at Artist Point. I love their soup and salmon and really enjoyed my dinner there during my last trip. I can't wait to return in October and this time I am not going to skip the cobbler! ;)

LES CHEFS DE FRANCE

We headed over to Chefs De France for an early dinner one evening. We frequently eat lunch at Chefs, but it had been several years since we've tried dinner.

Here's the French baguette served with our meal. I'm sure it was good, but I just don't much like crusty bread.

IMG_0140 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase's favorite item on the menu is the bacon and onion flatbread. He gets this every time and continues to love it. I got one small bite and it was good as always. Love the creamy cheese, sweet onions, and bacon flavor combinations!

IMG_0142 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Brianna chose the kids chicken tenders with a side of fries. She ate this quite well, but looking at my receipt I see that I paid $8.50 for this which didn't include the price of her drink and dessert. :eek:

IMG_0143 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Brian and I decided to share a Prix Fixe meal. Brian loves this lobster bisque.

IMG_0144 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

And I chose an entrée I hadn't tried before, these beef short ribs.

IMG_0145 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

I'm describing this as French pot roast. The beef was tasty and tender and I liked the gravy. The vegetables were cooked well and complemented the beef and sauce. But I didn't like the polenta, I suspect it had goat cheese in it. And I have seen complaints here on the DIS that this dish was very fatty. And unfortunately I found that to be true as well.

Brianna wanted ice cream, so she got these 2 scoops of vanilla.

IMG_0147 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Brian and Chase both chose the crème brulee for dessert. It's Chase's favorite.

IMG_0149 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Not much presentation here. I thought it was served with a chocolate swizzle stick or some berries.:confused3

IMG_0148 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Here's a copy of our receipt . I saved $16.04 with my TIW card, but I'm still not believing that Brianna's meal including drink and dessert totaled $15.25.:sad2:

Les Chefs De France receipt by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

After reading my review I'm thinking I've overrated this trip to Chefs De France. Some of my previously reviewed meals like Whispering Canyon and Artist Point were probably better. We still like Chefs, but I think we will stick to lunch.:thumbsup2

I too haven't eaten at chefs in a while as the menu just doesn't excite me. That said, the flatbread looked awesome. The short ribs looked good too, but I can't stand anything remotely fatty so it likely wouldn't appeal to me either. And what's up with hard looking polenta in France? Someone needs to tell them to give Italy their soft and creamy dish back.

I wanted to try Chefs next year on our trip, but saw that we didn't have enough days to try all the restaurants we wanted to - we would be eating 3 TS meals per day to fit them all in :rotfl:

So I think we've decided to skip Chefs and head over to Cape May for dinner. I figured, why pay $35 for a meal I may not enjoy (not a huge fan of French food but wanted to try Chefs) when I could pay a few dollars more for a buffet of seafood (which I love!)?

We love Chefs for lunch but never went for dinner. I don't think I could go there and not get the Croque Monsieur and they don't have it on the dinner menu. Loved their bacon and onion flatbread this time too (we just got back a few days ago). We shared it as an appetizer...DS7 refused to try it and DS9 didn't like it. More for us! ;)

I also love their baguette that they give at the table. I love crispy crusty breads though!

Wow! You had a great view from your room!

We have always loved Chefs more for lunch than dinner but sadly even our last lunch there seemed a bit overpriced for what we got (lukewarm soup, greasy food, etc.). That and they always seem to be in such a rush to get you out of there. At least there are lots of other choices around World Showcase!

I read a few days ago that Chefs de France had changed to only accept TiW at lunch. If they sold slices of that bacon and onion flatbread at a window, I would buy it every trip!

I read a few days ago that Chefs de France had changed to only accept TiW at lunch. If they sold slices of that bacon and onion flatbread at a window, I would buy it every trip!

Wow this is interesting about the TIW card. I wonder if other restaurants will start to go that route too. Hmm...

I agree about the bacon and onion flatbread...I would buy it every chance I could if they sold it at a window or at the bakery in France! :)

So disappointed...TIW is changing more than a few things in 2015..for instance, some of the signatures and character meals will not accept TIW from Memorial Day thru July 4th. Of course,that's when our big family trips are. I will have to really consider DDP again :scratchin

So disappointed...TIW is changing more than a few things in 2015..for instance, some of the signatures and character meals will not accept TIW from Memorial Day thru July 4th. Of course,that's when our big family trips are. I will have to really consider DDP again :scratchin

The exact blockout times for 2015 are:
*Beginning August 1st 2014, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse will be subject to the additional blockout weeks of: November 23-29, 2014; December 21-27, 2014; March 8-April 4, 2015; May 31-June 20, 2015.

Blockout dates for Tables in Wonderland are Mother’s Day, Easter Sunday, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase.​
http://tablesinwonderland.com/

The exact blockout times for 2015 are: *Beginning August 1st 2014, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse will be subject to the additional blockout weeks of: November 23-29, 2014; December 21-27, 2014; March 8-April 4, 2015; May 31-June 20, 2015. Blockout dates for Tables in Wonderland are Mother’s Day, Easter Sunday, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase. http://tablesinwonderland.com/

If it's the same in 2016, it won't affect our trip. We tend to go the third week in July. I'm hoping they don't extend these block out weeks through the summer after 2015.

My DD. Is a teacher, so we try to beat the rush and also the point increase on June 10th. She's back in school in Mid August. Two weeks at the higher point levels is a lot for a GV....the only two we didn't do this trip was Chef de France and Cindy's. SIGH, we saved over $350, would've been more but we got comped our meal at O'Hana's...don't get me going on that, but we got three extra FP+ for waiting 90 minutes for our ADR. :scared1::mad:

I too haven't eaten at chefs in a while as the menu just doesn't excite me. That said, the flatbread looked awesome. The short ribs looked good too, but I can't stand anything remotely fatty so it likely wouldn't appeal to me either. And what's up with hard looking polenta in France? Someone needs to tell them to give Italy their soft and creamy dish back.

The flatbread is worth a trip to Chefs for sure. The polenta was just not appealing at all.

I wanted to try Chefs next year on our trip, but saw that we didn't have enough days to try all the restaurants we wanted to - we would be eating 3 TS meals per day to fit them all in :rotfl:

So I think we've decided to skip Chefs and head over to Cape May for dinner. I figured, why pay $35 for a meal I may not enjoy (not a huge fan of French food but wanted to try Chefs) when I could pay a few dollars more for a buffet of seafood (which I love!)?

I know what you mean about there being too many choices and not enough time to eat at all the places you want to. That just gives me another reason to plan another trip.;)

I haven't trip Cape May for dinner yet, but we have friends who never miss it on their trips. Hope you enjoy it!

Wow! You had a great view from your room!

We have always loved Chefs more for lunch than dinner but sadly even our last lunch there seemed a bit overpriced for what we got (lukewarm soup, greasy food, etc.). That and they always seem to be in such a rush to get you out of there. At least there are lots of other choices around World Showcase!

This was my second time having dinner at Chefs and I agree with you, the lunch menu is better and more reasonably priced.

Wow this is interesting about the TIW card. I wonder if other restaurants will start to go that route too. Hmm...

I agree about the bacon and onion flatbread...I would buy it every chance I could if they sold it at a window or at the bakery in France! :)

The exact blockout times for 2015 are:
*Beginning August 1st 2014, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse will be subject to the additional blockout weeks of: November 23-29, 2014; December 21-27, 2014; March 8-April 4, 2015; May 31-June 20, 2015.

Blockout dates for Tables in Wonderland are Mother’s Day, Easter Sunday, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase.​
http://tablesinwonderland.com/

If it's the same in 2016, it won't affect our trip. We tend to go the third week in July. I'm hoping they don't extend these block out weeks through the summer after 2015.

My DD. Is a teacher, so we try to beat the rush and also the point increase on June 10th. She's back in school in Mid August. Two weeks at the higher point levels is a lot for a GV....the only two we didn't do this trip was Chef de France and Cindy's. SIGH, we saved over $350, would've been more but we got comped our meal at O'Hana's...don't get me going on that, but we got three extra FP+ for waiting 90 minutes for our ADR. :scared1::mad:

I remember reading about Les Chefs no longer accepting the TIW card at dinner as well. Am I correct that Chefs isn't a Disney owned restaurant? Hope this won't be a trend in WS restaurants, since Teppan Edo and La Hacienda already don't take the TIW card.

I agree with you guys that I'm a little concerned about more restrictions being put on the TIW card, especially since our trips are generally in summer or around holidays. Hope this won't force us back to the DDP! I greatly prefer the flexibility of the TIW card.:)

EARL OF SANDWICH

We love Earl of Sandwich and eat there almost every trip to WDW. The particular night we were there it had just started to rain really hard when we got in line. Droves of people started to come in to avoid yet another downpour during this trip.:sad2: Luckily we were inside and getting ready to enjoy a good sandwich.

Earl generally has long lines, but don't let that keep you from eating there. They are really efficient and the line moves quickly.

Brianna decided on this mac and cheese.

IMG_0282 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Wow! I wasn't expecting this mac and cheese to be so good, but it was great. I love that this mac and cheese was baked.

Brian always gets this Full Montagu. I think it is a roast beef and turkey sandwich. Wish I would have gotten a picture of its innards.

IMG_0283 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase and I both chose the Ham and Swiss. I always say I'm going to try a different sandwich, but keep going back to this guy. You can't beat the delicious combination of hot ham and cheese.:)

IMG_0284 by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Here's a copy of my receipt. From looking at it I see we all got chips and drinks and someone got chocolate pudding (not me :sad1:).

Earl of Sandwich receipt by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

We were able to save 10% with my AAA card. Last trip I remember this was 15% because I was getting my annual pass out for a discount when the clerk said "I see you have a AAA card. Let's use it for the discount since it is more."
But I guess this has changed to 10% now.

We had another good meal at Earl of Sandwich. As far as my ranking from worst to best meals, Earl ends of being our favorite quick service meal of the trip.:thumbsup2

I read so many times that people were served something that was so unappetizing that they just 'tossed it in the trash' or 'took only one bite'. It doesn't seem that anyone ever takes anything back for a refund.

The salad that was served to you at Artist Point was unacceptable. I would have asked that this be taken off the bill. I am sorry that you didn't! This is a signature restaurant!

Please people, do not accept substandard food at these prices!

Love the view from your room! :cloud9:

Our favourite meal last year was from Artist Point, so I'm happy to read your family also had a good experience, despite the changed salad. It's always sad to find a favourite dish has been changed, and not for the better. :(

We love Earl of Sandwich! DH usually goes for the Earl's Club and I'm a big fan of the Italian. Your ham and swiss looks delish and that mac and cheese looks amazing! :love:

Great updates Rachel!

Our favourite meal last year was from Artist Point, so I'm happy to read your family also had a good experience, despite the changed salad. It's always sad to find a favourite dish has been changed, and not for the better. :(

This wasn't just a 'changed salad', it was a partially rotted salad, judging by the picture.

Why defend it as if the OP didn't like it because it was 'changed'?

If I was paying $10 for that salad I would have sent it back. Definitely not magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter