The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found out this past week that the Swan and Dolphin aren't owned by Disney. And I heard that their guests Don't get to use Magic Hours. It's funny because I was interested in seeing What things people don't like about Disney, and a lot of the things I saw were about the dolphin and Swan. Just thought it was interesting.

So I found out this past week that the Swan and Dolphin aren't owned by Disney. And I heard that their guests Don't get to use Magic Hours. It's funny because I was interested in seeing What things people don't like about Disney, and a lot of the things I saw were about the dolphin and Swan. Just thought it was interesting.

It's true that the Swan and Dolphin aren't owned by Disney. Their guests can't take Magical Express from the airport or get the Disney Dining Plan. However, Swan and Dolphin guests DO get to participate in Extra Magic Hours at the theme parks - the same as Disney resort guests.

Actually, the Dolphin is available during that time frame...with the exception of Saturday, Sept. 29th. (Not sure why...) Are you flexible at all with your dates? Then again, even if you change your arrival to the 30th, the rate at the Dolphin is much higher...$206.

dolphin-1.jpg

You should give the Swan a try...it's a great property. Even though the Dolphin does house more dining options (Picabu, Fresh, Fountain, Blue Zoo, Shulas), as well as the gym and laundry facilities, and is closer to the main pool area, I find its size a bit overwhelming...especially when walking back to the room after a long day in the parks! The Swan is more intimate, more easily navigated, with much shorter walks to the rooms, bus stop, boat dock and Boardwalk. DH and I also prefer the two bathroom vanities...less tripping over each other in the morning. And the Swan has two Queen beds, as opposed to the doubles at the Dolphin.

Just some food for thought. I'm sure you'd be happy at either property. :flower3:

That's odd because I looked last night at The Dolphin and, as it has been since November, I received a message that the property is not available for my dates. We aren't flexible with our dates and are traveling with another party so we need two rooms. We do have the option of booking The Dolphin from September 30-October 6, 2012, but that seems more of a hassle than the four of us want for our stay. The other party has stayed at The Swan on one other occasion and enjoyed it as much as The Dolphin stay we all had last year. I also saw the prices for our week at The Dolphin were through the roof (compared to our current rate) even with the discounts.

I'm not opposed to a stay at Swan, but prefer Dolphin since it has more options and I enjoy the "quiet" lap pool at Dolphin to the one at Swan. :confused3 I'm sure we'll be happy regardless AND my husband and I are staying at The Dolphin in May. :woohoo: Thanks for the advice though! :thumbsup2

I think the check-in glitch could've been avoided if your husband had gone to the front desk the morning you arrived and asked them to hold a key for you with your name on it. I did that once when a friend joined me and I was at a park when she arrived.

He did tell them at check-in & they asked how many keys we'd need (for EMH) so we thought it was taken care of. Next time I will make sure he does that the morning we check in too! It was just a frustrating day & I had never seen a line that long at check-in at Dolphin ever. It was check-out time, the hotel was full to capacity & that's why it was backed up. I waited in line 35 min. to be told I couldn't get in our room, and to go stand in the bell services line (just as long as the check-in line) to leave my bags til DH could get there at 4pm. No way was I standing in line again, the boys were antsy & hungry. We schlepped our 6 carry-ons to The Fountain & had lunch, then out to the pool. We must have looked like a hot mess! As soon as we got in the room we showered & headed right out to MK for a fun night!

I am thinking about staying at the Dolphin for our 9 day trip in October. I have never stayed here before and just was wondering from some experts if $170/night (before taxes) is a good rate. That is what i am getting for a standard room with the AAA discount. Is it possible in October to get a better rate? thanks!!

That is a good rate especially during the Food & Wine Festival, I'd book it! I've been watching S/D rates for several dates in 2012 & rates seem to be up this year over last year. The best I'm finding for any of my dates is $179 but most are over $200.

I just saw the slide show on Deb's site and was wondering about the robes in the room...are they all standard size, or do they have any "Pooh size" ones? :rotfl:

After 6+ trips to S/D I have never seen a robe there. Not even in the Executive Suite!

I was reading through my March email statement from SPG and it led me to the link where I could redeem 1000 pts for "50 percent off regular rack rates."

Has anyone used this discount before? If so what are the details and how does it compare to other discounts for SPG members?

I've checked it a few times over the years & it's always higher than any other current discount. Rack rates are ridiculously high.

Guests DO get EMH when staying at S/D.

We stayed at the Swan in 2008 and loved it! My trip is Memorial week this year and we currently has CSR booked for the first time. Remind me if what extras i will have over CSR? I need some motivation to part with my extra $400

Thanks

He did tell them at check-in & they asked how many keys we'd need (for EMH) so we thought it was taken care of. Next time I will make sure he does that the morning we check in too! It was just a frustrating day & I had never seen a line that long at check-in at Dolphin ever. It was check-out time, the hotel was full to capacity & that's why it was backed up. I waited in line 35 min. to be told I couldn't get in our room, and to go stand in the bell services line (just as long as the check-in line) to leave my bags til DH could get there at 4pm. No way was I standing in line again, the boys were antsy & hungry. We schlepped our 6 carry-ons to The Fountain & had lunch, then out to the pool. We must have looked like a hot mess! As soon as we got in the room we showered & headed right out to MK for a fun night!
Ugh...that doesn't sound like fun. Sorry your trip got off to such a rough start. Hopefully, the rest of the time was touched with a bit more pixie dust!

Are you home now?

After 6+ trips to S/D I have never seen a robe there. Not even in the Executive Suite!
Well, I'm glad it's not just me then! Strange that they still list it as an amenity, though.

We stayed at the Swan in 2008 and loved it! My trip is Memorial week this year and we currently has CSR booked for the first time. Remind me if what extras i will have over CSR? I need some motivation to part with my extra $400

Thanks
#1 on my list is location, and that = convenience. It's just really nice to be able to walk to 2 parks, or take a relaxing boat ride, if we're not in a hurry.

#2...the Heavenly beds. Both DH and I have had back problems in the past, so the right mattress isn't just a luxury, it's a necessity. We have a version of the Heavenly bed at home (purchased through the W Hotel, another Starwood property), and absolutely love it.

#3...lots of room. 340 sq ft at the Swan vs 314 sq ft at CSR

#4...two sink vanities - one inside the bathroom, one outside. Makes getting ready in the morning so much easier when we're not tripping over each other.

#5...You don't have to pay extra for a king bed, if that's your preference.

#6...one building, with interior hallways. Just my preference, as a result of getting caught in a monsoon rainstorm schlepping to our room at the Poly one year!

#7...Starbucks in the room. More of a plus for DH, since I don't drink coffee.

#8...a crazy amount of dining options, all within a 10 minute walk. Between the Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club and Epcot's World Showcase, there are 47 places to eat!

#9...The Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program. You earn points for your stay, which can be used for future free room and/or upgrades.

#10...a plethora of discounts. Even as your trip gets closer, keep checking for promotions, especially the Starpicks rates, which can be booked within 6 weeks of your stay.

And, well...that's all I can think of for now. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know!

Thanks

location, location, location! :thumbsup2

#1 on my list is location, and that = convenience. It's just really nice to be able to walk to 2 parks, or take a relaxing boat ride, if we're not in a hurry.

#2...the Heavenly beds. Both DH and I have had back problems in the past, so the right mattress isn't just a luxury, it's a necessity. We have a version of the Heavenly bed at home (purchased through the W Hotel, another Starwood property), and absolutely love it.

#3...lots of room. 360 sq ft at the Swan vs 314 sq ft at CSR

#4...two sink vanities - one inside the bathroom, one outside. Makes getting ready in the morning so much easier when we're not tripping over each other.

#5...You don't have to pay extra for a king bed, if that's your preference.

#6...one building, with interior hallways. Just my preference, as a result of getting caught in a monsoon rainstorm schlepping to our room at the Poly one year!

#7...Starbucks in the room. More of a plus for DH, since I don't drink coffee.

#8...a crazy amount of dining options, all within a 10 minute walk. Between the Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club and Epcot's World Showcase, there are 47 places to eat!

#9...The Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program. You earn points for your stay, which can be used for future free room and/or upgrades.

#10...a plethora of discounts. Even as your trip gets closer, keep checking for promotions, especially the Starpicks rates, which can be booked within 6 weeks of your stay.

And, well...that's all I can think of for now. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know!

location, location, location! :thumbsup2

You guys are doing great! I do LOVE the idea of earning some more points!!! I LOVED walking to Epcot and taking the boat to HS! I love the starbucks in the room as we have 3 coffee drinkers. Love the extra sink! I guess my issue is that CSR is paid in full, i'm wondering if i cancel, how they will credit me back as i paid with 2 different cards. Also, will the Swan let me pay in full before i arrive? thanks again!

Ugh...that doesn't sound like fun. Sorry your trip got off to such a rough start. Hopefully, the rest of the time was touched with a bit more pixie dust!

Are you home now?

Yes sadly we're home now. It was a GREAT trip despite the crowds & heat. Still loving the S/D and BC too. We had a deluxe CL room at BC right by the IG - literally 2 min. to Epcot. When we used the quiet pool (also by the IG) I'd sent DS14 over to Epcot to grab lunch & bring it back!

Uploading pics now, don't worry I promise to get that dumpster view up here today!!!! Oh by the way - yes you CAN see Wishes from the dumpster view rooms. So I guess that's a plus if you like fireworks!

You guys are doing great! I do LOVE the idea of earning some more points!!! I LOVED walking to Epcot and taking the boat to HS! I love the starbucks in the room as we have 3 coffee drinkers. Love the extra sink! I guess my issue is that CSR is paid in full, i'm wondering if i cancel, how they will credit me back as i paid with 2 different cards. Also, will the Swan let me pay in full before i arrive? thanks again!
You shouldn't have a problem having your money refunded to the original form of payment. They might tell you that it could take a credit card cycle or two, but I've done it many times and its never taken more than two weeks, tops.

And yes, you can prepay your stay. Last year, my DH's credit card was paying 5% back on travel and hotels through the end of September, but our stay wasn't until October. I called the hotel and they linked me to a Credit Card authorization page where we were able to pay the stay in full, less the daily resort fee. (I just checked the old link, but it wasn't active...it must be guest-specific, based on requests.)

If you need any more persuading, let us know. We're really good at arm-twisting!

Yes sadly we're home now. It was a GREAT trip despite the crowds & heat. Still loving the S/D and BC too. We had a deluxe CL room at BC right by the IG - literally 2 min. to Epcot. When we used the quiet pool (also by the IG) I'd sent DS14 over to Epcot to grab lunch & bring it back!

Uploading pics now, don't worry I promise to get that dumpster view up here today!!!! Oh by the way - yes you CAN see Wishes from the dumpster view rooms. So I guess that's a plus if you like fireworks!
See...that dumpster had a silver lining, after all!

Can't wait to see the pics. I'll bet the CL Beach Club room was amazing.

PS - Welcome home!

2012 dumpster view:

016.jpg

2007 dumpster view:

IMG_2170.jpg

Still a lovely room & GORGEOUS resort!!

This is like one of those "find the 10 things that are different" type of pictures.
I would take either of those views any day if it meant I was at WDW.

As much as I am a devotee of the S/D, a deluxe resort just should not have dumpster view rooms. Not sure how they would disguise it, but they should.

Anyway, Tara, thanks for the updates and pictures.

Do the S&D offer movies on the beach or movies at the pool like some of the Disney resorts do in the summer? Thanks! :thumbsup2

Do the S&D offer movies on the beach or movies at the pool like some of the Disney resorts do in the summer? Thanks! :thumbsup2
Yes, they have Dive-In Movies at the Grotto Pool. Just call the Health Club for the schedule while you're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter