The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a sidewalk around the front of the Dolphin, but it goes around the "ponds." You can exit from the side of the Dolphin closest to the Yacht Club (IF you can find that door!), but I don't know if you can enter through that door from the outside.

We tried this a number of times and you can't enter through that door.

There is a sidewalk around the front of the Dolphin, but it goes around the "ponds." You can exit from the side of the Dolphin closest to the Yacht Club (IF you can find that door!), but I don't know if you can enter through that door from the outside. It probably takes less time to walk to the Swan and over the bridge to the Yacht/Beach Club. When I stay at the Swan, I walk to Epcot via the Boardwalk.

We tried this a number of times and you can't enter through that door.

Thanks for the info! Good to know that door doesn't open from the outside. Looks like the best bet is just use the normal entrance area.

Speaking from experience, if you were able to book a room, you almost certainly won't have any problem. ;)

There was one poster I recall here, maybe a year or so ago, who did have a reservation and was moved to another resort (can't recall which one) because of overbooking. I, along with other posters, were stunned, as was the poster. A lot of questions asked, but she said that was the situation. I still find it hard to believe, but that is what she said. :confused3 I personally would not worry though.

I know The Fountain does.

Any hotel can be overbooked, and the guests
could be "walked" elsewhere. I recall the Hyatt Grand Cypress being mentioned as one hotel where guests have been relocated.

There are just so many people who would or could
be bumped before a person who books with them directly such as people
staying on employee or friends and families rates and people who booked
through a third party such as expedia. If you were to ever get bumped you
have to be transported at the hotels expense to a hotel of equal value. I
remember hearing about it happening to someone who arrived at 11pm and
they ended up getting a Disney resort. I don't recall which one. A resort is less
likely to get overbooked than a hotel in a large metropolitan area as you have
fewer people who decide on the spur of the moment to spend the night. Most
people who come to the Swan and Dolphin planned it in advance.

Picabu has fries too. I ordered the burger with fries and gravy and it was huge. I could only eat half. I will split it next time.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am less worried about being bumped. We booked through the hotel with an advance purchase rate. My husband was worried because his co-workers didn't want to book with that rate even though it was cheaper than their company's discount rate because they were afraid of overbookings and being bumped. We never thought about that until they mentioned it but we had already booked a non-refundable rate. But after all of your posts, I am optimistic that everything will go smoothly. However, if they did move us to the Hyatt, like one fo you mentioned, I will be killed by my husband lol. So let's keep our fingers crossed that that won't happen :)

Leaving this Saturday and staying at the Dolphin. Paying $189 a night for the teacher rate which at this time of year I thought was good considering the Pop and value was at $165 a night. Never stayed at the Dolphin before. Is there Pros and Cons we need to know before we go. Only going to the park one day so we really just wanted to enjoy the resort. :thumbsup2

Does anyone know if they are accepted at any of the restaurants or shops here? Last time we stayed at the dolphin we didn't have the Disney Visa.

Thanks!

The main Disney themed gift shop are owned by Disney at the Swan and Dolphin. They accept the Disney Visa reward dollars.

Otherwise spend the Disney Visa reward dollars at the BW & YC/BC near by - or at any WDW Park, WDW restaurant or WDW store.

I hope that helps.

We plan on using our Disney Visa reward dollars for our TS & CS meals in the Parks.

The main Disney themed gift shop are owned by Disney at the Swan and Dolphin. They accept the Disney Visa reward dollars.

Otherwise spend the Disney Visa reward dollars at the BW & YC/BC near by - or at any WDW Park, WDW restaurant or WDW store.

I hope that helps.

We plan on using our Disney Visa reward dollars for our TS & CS meals in the Parks.

Does that mean they also accept Disney gift cards?

HI,

I have been seeing posts about upgrades. I am staying at Swan on AAA rate. Standard room for $188.10. When I booked by phone the gal asked if I am a SPG member and I could have sworn I was years ago from staying at Sheraton/Westin properties but she couldn't find me, so she joined me up again. So my question is, do you get upgraded for your first stay or only upgrades if you cash in points? How does that work? TIA!

HI,

I have been seeing posts about upgrades. I am staying at Swan on AAA rate. Standard room for $188.10. When I booked by phone the gal asked if I am a SPG member and I could have sworn I was years ago from staying at Sheraton/Westin properties but she couldn't find me, so she joined me up again. So my question is, do you get upgraded for your first stay or only upgrades if you cash in points? How does that work? TIA!
Hi!

Complimentary upgrades may be given if you're at the Platinum, Gold or Preferred Plus level within SPG. Platinum members are guaranteed an upgrade to the best available room at check-in, including suites; upgrades for Gold and Preferred Plus members are based on availability at check-in.

You can also upgrade via points (1000 points would upgrade you to a the next room category; 3000 points would upgrade you to a suite).

One more question....

I saw that you can choose to skip housekeeping and get 500 rewards points instead. Is that 500 per night/day that you don't have housekeeping, or 500 total for your stay? Thanks!! :thumbsup2

Hi!

Complimentary upgrades may be given if you're at the Platinum, Gold or Preferred Plus level within SPG. Platinum members are guaranteed an upgrade to the best available room at check-in, including suites; upgrades for Gold and Preferred Plus members are based on availability at check-in.

You can also upgrade via points (1000 points would upgrade you to a the next room category; 3000 points would upgrade you to a suite).

Along those same lines, since the AAA rate was booked, I assume that means you are a AAA member. That means you are eligible for SPG's Preferred Plus level. Call SPG with your AAA number to earn this status if needed. That should enhance your upgrade chances.

Another tip: your new status should be updated automatically within your reservation, but that doesn't always happen. About a week before your trip, you might want to call SPG and have them "refresh" the reservation to make sure your status level is properly reflected.

One more question....

I saw that you can choose to skip housekeeping and get 500 rewards points instead. Is that 500 per night/day that you don't have housekeeping, or 500 total for your stay? Thanks!! :thumbsup2

You'll get 500 points per day, but you can go only 3 days in a row (at a time) without housekeeping. It isn't an exact science, however! During my 11-night stay in December, there was at least one day they cleaned when I wasn't expecting it, and 1 day when I expected them to clean but they didn't.

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I guess I was wishful thinking that I would get one for signing up lol!:upsidedow

Along those same lines, since the AAA rate was booked, I assume that means you are a AAA member. That means you are eligible for SPG's Preferred Plus level. Call SPG with your AAA number to earn this status if needed. That should enhance your upgrade chances.

Another tip: your new status should be updated automatically within your reservation, but that doesn't always happen. About a week before your trip, you might want to call SPG and have them "refresh" the reservation to make sure your status level is properly reflected.

Oh this is really good to know, thanks! I had no idea. I will give them a call tomorrow to see if they will add this status. Thanks!!:thumbsup2

You'll get 500 points per day, but you can go only 3 days in a row (at a time) without housekeeping. It isn't an exact science, however! During my 11-night stay in December, there was at least one day they cleaned when I wasn't expecting it, and 1 day when I expected them to clean but they didn't.

YES - DISNEY gift cards are accepted at all WDW owned locations, including Daisy's Gift Shop in the Dolphin.

Thank you both for your help! I am a person who always has lots of questions and everyone on here is so kind and helpful!! :goodvibes

Here now (at BC but was at Dolphin last week) and its HOT & CROWDED! Had a glitch at Dolphin check-in, we had a note on the ressie that I would be joining DH (he had been there 2 weeks already) and they would not accept that at check-in. After waiting to check-in for 35 min. they said DH must come in person to the front desk to allow it. ARGH! He was presenting at a conference til 4pm & it was 11am. I was not a happy camper because we've done this for years & years & the note previously had been enough. I even asked to talk to a manager who refused.

Both S & D were full to capacity (so is BC) so no upgrades for anyone!

S/D are still as gorgeous as ever even with the dumpster view & check-in glitch!!

TaraPA - sorry to hear about your problesm.

We are almost in the same boat - but DH will be with us when we check in.

I hope you still had a great vacation.

The Dolphin is also sold out for our time June 23 to July 3 - 2012.;)
But we have a resort view with a balcony.
We asked for a view of the Grotto Pool. Hope we get a nice room. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter