The NEW Official SHADES OF GREEN Information (YouTube Video Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the closest rooms in the new section might be slightly closer to the lobby and busstop than the closest rooms in the old. I also estimate that most of the rooms in the parallel buildings on either side of the Mickey pool are farther than anything in the new section. But these are just estimates based on looking at the satellite images, so I could be a bit off.

Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences with room requests. I tend to get more and more nervous as we get closer to the vacation that we won't get our connecting rooms for some reason. Our plan is always to put in the kids in one room and adults in the other, but we can't do that without the door in the middle to prop open at night. I think this will help me relax a bit.

Your assessments, IMO, are correct. The closest to the garage newest rooms are RIGHT off the lobby - you walk down a hallway next to the ballroom and you're there. And the hallways in the old section are labyrinth like, so for me, they seemed VERY far to walk unless you were very close to the front part of the old section. When we were there, our room was nearest to the food area marked on the image - our room was right in that corner area - and we found it very convenient to the lobby.

Does anyone know if you can use Disney Visa reward dollars at Shades of Green? I was hoping to have enough reward dollars to purchase one of our park passes, which I always buy at SOG. Thanks! :)

Does anyone know if you can use Disney Visa reward dollars at Shades of Green? I was hoping to have enough reward dollars to purchase one of our park passes, which I always buy at SOG. Thanks! :)

Nope. Use the rewards for food and souvineers or buy your ticket at Disney.

As far a walk to the bus, we were in the old section, room 358, and it was a hike. We joked it took longer to walk to the bus than from the lobby to the Poly monorail. But the bus service was great! The walk to Poly was 10 minutes and another 10 to TTC. We did all combinations.

We used Fleetwook car service, nothing fancy, but they were on time, profesionsal and reasonable $120 RT I think.

Mangio's was using Evergreen's Menu, but the servers were not yet up to speed. Garden Grill seemed to be closed alot so we didn't try it. Didn't eat at Evergreen's but I think they would be better off closing Mangio's (granted id didn't eat thier regular menu) and expanding offerings at Evergreen's, it looked like a great place to hang out while the kids were at the arcade!

The rooms were spacious, but (old section) was really worn and tired. Beds were fine, but the pillows needed some "rehab". Furniture could use updating IMHO. But this is what they are doing with the rehab so they are addressing it. I heard nor saw any signs of constsruction. Housekeeping was Fabulous and all requests, extra towels, pillow, sheet change were met.

The one problem we did have was with the attraction ticket office at SOG. They gave my MIL and SIL wrong information on SaS ticktets, they told them a 5 day ticket expires more than 6 days after first use, which was a problem because we needed to use it 7 days after first use. My SIL said she laid out our touring plan, and SOG agent called "someone" who said it didn't expire for something like 10 days. Well it wasn't and I thought they had gotten regular PH but they went on the information they were given by someone "official". So we go to get into Epcot and the Salute tickets work but they SaS don't, now we went round and round @ Epot GR and a supervisor issued a 1 day PH for the tickets which were SaS, interestingly we had a hard time getting the agent to get us a supervisor. While others are talking, I'm trying to get ahold of SOG ticketing which kept putting me into VM, even when I asked to speak to a person. They did call me back 4 hours later.

My MIL retired over 60 reservist had no problem getting Salute tickets. It is a one time deal and Military must be there to activate tickets. Her ID says retired.

whew, that was long, any questions?

Thanks for the information on your recent stay at SOG. Do you remember the restaurant hours?

The old section sounds like it definately needs an update!

I know people on here have mentioned the construction on the poolside wing of SOG might be going on now or possibly soon in the future. However, I emailed SOG about it, and got a response today that no construction on that wing of the hotel was scheduled to begin until 25 August.

I think they would be better off closing Mangio's (granted id didn't eat thier regular menu) and expanding offerings at Evergreen's, it looked like a great place to hang out while the kids were at the arcade!

I totally agree with this. One of the great things about Evergreens also was the location to the pool. You could run in order food, go back to the pool, then go back and get your food.

I really don't see the need for a spa/gym. I didn't see anyone getting the massage that was out by the pool, and I never see anyone in the gym. Isn't the all the walking in Disney enough excerise?!

I really don't see the need for a spa/gym. I didn't see anyone getting the massage that was out by the pool, and I never see anyone in the gym. Isn't the all the walking in Disney enough excerise?!

I totally agree with this! All that walking - who needs to go to a gym!

I totally agree with this! All that walking - who needs to go to a gym!

As strange as it sounds, there are some people who need a gym. Whatever activity they participate, it might require more than just walking. My son is a dancer who needs a workout everyday that does not include walking. He needs the weight training. 2 weeks without a regular workout and he is mush. Not sure what they have at SOG. He is hoping for some stuff that includes weights.

I know people on here have mentioned the construction on the poolside wing of SOG might be going on now or possibly soon in the future. However, I emailed SOG about it, and got a response today that no construction on that wing of the hotel was scheduled to begin until 25 August.

Pluto Fan wrote this Jan 31.....
"Near the end of our stay, around 22 Jan, we received a note on our door from SOG which said, "Thank you for choosing Shades of Green on Walt Disney World Resort, as your vacation destination. In an effort to maintain a first-class facility, we will be scheduling room renovations to the Magnolila Wing during your stay. These room renovations are scheduled from 0900 to 1800 hrs, seven (7) days a week, and may cause temporary noise interruptions associated with the repairs. Additionally, the hallways, bathrooms, carpeting, and furniture will be replaced starting August 23 through October 10, 2009."

So, I wonder what they were doing? :confused3

Most military members use the gym regularly, both for weight training and running on the treadmill (the heat and humidity in FL can be too much). My DH always uses the gym when we travel - too hard to come back to it after vacation if he doesn't keep up his workouts! Oh, you all know that they have to have fitness tests, right?

Hey everyone. My family and I will be staying at SOG March 11 thru the 17. We are all very excited and will be out first time staying at the SOG resort. This thread has been EXTREMELY helpful and I can't thank everyone enough who contributed.

When I'm on vacation I like to pamper myself some mornings, so I inquired about the massage and reflexology services they offer. I thought you may want to update the pricing on the services too. Hope this helps anyone who is interested:

Email from Dreams of Welness Containing Prices as of 2/24/09:

"Thank you for your interest in our massages sevices. There are a few ways of doing our massages at Shades of Green.
We have a cabana located by the mill pond pool. We offer chair massages that start at 10.00 and go to 25.00.
We offer 1/2 swedish massage @ cabana for 50.00 ,1/2 deep tissue massage for 55.00 as well as couples 1/2 swedish is 95.00 and deep tissue is 105.00.
We have a massage room on property 1 hour massage swedish is 75.00 and 1 hour deep tissue is 85.00. Couples are as followed 1 hr swedish massage 145.00. 1hour deep tissue 165.00. You can aromatherapy to any massage for 10.00 . We also offer something new they are lava shells. They are better then the hot stones you can add them for a hour is 40.00 . A 1/2 is 20.00 and in the chair it is only 10.00."

As strange as it sounds, there are some people who need a gym. Whatever activity they participate, it might require more than just walking. My son is a dancer who needs a workout everyday that does not include walking. He needs the weight training. 2 weeks without a regular workout and he is mush. Not sure what they have at SOG. He is hoping for some stuff that includes weights.

yes, my dh works out every day and plans on running on the treadmill while at disney and or running the sog/poly loop. (yes, it's hot, but he ran every day while in Kuwait too LOL)

and as for the massages - I'm thinking a quick foot massage while sitting in my chair at the pool after a long day of walking might not be a bad thing AT ALL. I wonder if they offer this? lol

Pluto Fan wrote this Jan 31.....
"Near the end of our stay, around 22 Jan, we received a note on our door from SOG which said, "Thank you for choosing Shades of Green on Walt Disney World Resort, as your vacation destination. In an effort to maintain a first-class facility, we will be scheduling room renovations to the Magnolila Wing during your stay. These room renovations are scheduled from 0900 to 1800 hrs, seven (7) days a week, and may cause temporary noise interruptions associated with the repairs. Additionally, the hallways, bathrooms, carpeting, and furniture will be replaced starting August 23 through October 10, 2009."

So, I wonder what they were doing? :confused3

We couldn't tell...thinking back, we should have poked our heads into the rooms and looked around! :laughing: We did see them carrying a mattress into a room once, but don't know if it was new or if they had taken it out while they worked and were just bringing it back. :confused3 The rooms we saw them working on were the 20x rooms, on the right side of the hall walking from the lobby area back into the old wing.

But SOG does have a gym, is it really not large enough that they have to move it. I think Evergreens by the pool was much better. Does anyone know if they will have an area by the pool to get drinks?

Hi there, we have our first trip to disney coming up in June. We're staying at SOG. I'm curious whether staying at SOG is considered "staying on property" and if we'll need some sort of confirmation # to make any ADR's in the parks.

I'd like to be prepared, I didn't reserve the rooms so I'd have to track down the family member that did.

Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

Hi there, we have our first trip to disney coming up in June. We're staying at SOG. I'm curious whether staying at SOG is considered "staying on property" and if we'll need some sort of confirmation # to make any ADR's in the parks.

I'd like to be prepared, I didn't reserve the rooms so I'd have to track down the family member that did.

Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

You don't have to be staying on Disney property to make ADRs. You will use your phone number when making ADRs instead of your reservation number. The main difference is that you can only call 90 days in advance from your dining date; resort guests can call on the 90th day from their arrival and make ADRs for the next 10 days in one call. You'll have to call back every day to make an ADR for 90 days from that day. Hope I explained OK! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter