The NEW Official SHADES OF GREEN Information (YouTube Video Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had similar experiences with room requests. We always ask for old section. Back when you did not have to pay for poolview, we requested it and got it. We have asked for a room as close to the lobby as possible (still in old section) and got the corner room around from the main corridor. We have even asked for a specific room number and luckily it was available and we got that too! I have nothing but great things to say about the people who assign rooms.

ETA: The ONE time we never made a request (back before the addition), we ended up in one of the last rooms of that rat maze. Seemed to take forever to get to our room and the lobby depending on our direction of travel. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but since then, I always make sure to put in a request.

ETA: The ONE time we never made a request (back before the addition), we ended up in one of the last rooms of that rat maze. Seemed to take forever to get to our room and the lobby depending on our direction of travel. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but since then, I always make sure to put in a request.

ok, I"m glad it wasn't just me who thought that the old section layout was like this. We also had a room near the lobby and when trying to get to the pool it seemed like we were walking and walking and walking and never quite getting there. :rotfl2:

Evergreens is NOT closed, just got home last night and they were still open as of 1630 last evening. Sorry I wasn't aware of questions about their plans for the future so I didn't ask, but they have hours posted for this week. When we checked in they gave us weekly schedules for the resturants, parks and buses and Evergreens was open more hours this week than last.

can you post the restaurant info you received?

Is Evergreens still located by the pool? Or is it Evergreens in where the italian restaurant was?

"Magnolia Pool Bar and Grill. Serves quick and delicious grilled hot dogs, Italian sausage, hamburgers, sandwiches, quick snacks and cold drinks. Located between the Magnolia Pool and the Magnolia golf course putting green and available to all resort guests. Open daily from 0830 - 1700. "

Is this something new? It has been 2 years since my last visit and I never noticed it before. While I love the idea of it being a food/drink option close to one of the pools, it closes too early :headache: .

Quick question. Does anyone have a picture of this place? Also, I have never been near the putting green, but have been to the Magnolia pool many times. Can this Bar and Grill be seen from the pool? How far of a walk?

I think I grabbed food there several years ago. It is a small building that is a very short walk from the rectangle shaped pool. You can see it from the pool but I think the serving window faces the golf course. All you see from the pool view are a couple of sides of the small building.

It does close early. We used it and the pool one hot afternoon while taking a break from the parks.

This is for the week of Feb 15-21...

Garden Gallery Sun-Sat 0700-1100
Sun-Sat 1700-2130

Mangino's Sun-Sat 1100-2100

Evergreens Sun-Sat 1700-2400

Express Cafe Sun-Sat 0600-1600

Java Cafe Sun-Sat 0600-1200

Magnolia Pool Bar Sun-Sat 0900-1700

America, Ice Cream Sun-Sat 1600-2200

Morning room service 0700-1045
Evening room service 1800-2300

The previous weeks schedule had different hours for the weekend than the weekdays. Probably seasonal adjustments, Monday was a holiday.
Evergreens is where it always has been, I didn't notice anything different.
Magnolia pool bar looks like a concession stand behind the hot tub area, not real impressive, we just walked by it so I can't say what they have.
The remote airline check-in is now free...however the system has been down for several days, they have no idea when it will be back up, it's not under their control.
I didn't notice any construction going on anywhere, but I wasn't looking for any either, if there is any it's low key. When we checked in they offered rooms in either the old or new sections, we chose new. We did breakfast at the Garden Gallery and all other meals in the parks so I can't help with menus.

Hope this answers a few concerns.

Thanks for the restaurant/snack bar info. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

I have seen so many posts about room requests that I am starting to think I should request rooms for our visit. The last time I was to SOG was before they expanded, so I have no idea what I would be requesting. So for all of the experts out there, what room or area should I request? Also, at what point do I make the request, I already have a ressie and a confirmation, but I am not going until the end of July.

It depends on your family's priorities.

For the nicest rooms with granite bathroom counters, ask for the new section

If you want to be close to the mickey pool or the little px, ask for the older section.

If you are going to take your personal car each day, the newer section is closer to the parking deck.

Just a few thoughts. I hope other chime in...................

PS. you can call anytime to add a preference to your reservation

I just noticed on my reservation confirmation that we were given an ADA room (which we do not need). I have no idea why they did this? Should I call and get it changed, or is there a benefit to keeping this room?

Thanks!

I just noticed on my reservation confirmation that we were given an ADA room (which we do not need). I have no idea why they did this? Should I call and get it changed, or is there a benefit to keeping this room?

Thanks!

I would call and request a room that is NOT ADA. With ADA, the bathroom is one big room with tub/toilet/sink. Non ADA rooms have the sink outside the bathroom. Just a better setup for getting ready in the morning.

aloha,

this fall will be our first visit to WDW and will be staying at SOG (week after thanksgiving). being our first time, what is the best building or room request we can make? the previous thread has so many pages i got lost. we have small kids who are very heavy at the end of the day to carry, and they love the pool!

At SOG now. Having a wonderful time. We are in the "old" section and our room is very spacious.

Ate at Evergreens last night. But have bad news. It will be closing on Sunday and turned into a spa and fitness center. Right now they have half the menu and Manginios has the other half. They are transitioning into Manginos having the whole menu.

As far as construction, we did see a sign and noticed new wallpaper in the halls, but no noise. Of course we are at the parks all day.

hope this answers some questions. I do hate to see Evergreens go!!

firenurse

aloha,

this fall will be our first visit to WDW and will be staying at SOG (week after thanksgiving). being our first time, what is the best building or room request we can make? the previous thread has so many pages i got lost. we have small kids who are very heavy at the end of the day to carry, and they love the pool!

Ciao;)

If you have kids that love the pools, I would suggest the old section since that is where the pools are, but it creates a longer walk at the end of the day to get to your room since it is furthest from the lobby. unfortunately, when you have multiple priorities, it is difficult to say what the better location is. We love the pool, but love to be as close to the bus stop as possible. Can't really have both now that the hotel has been renovated :sad1: .

At SOG now. Having a wonderful time. We are in the "old" section and our room is very spacious.

Ate at Evergreens last night. But have bad news. It will be closing on Sunday and turned into a spa and fitness center. Right now they have half the menu and Manginios has the other half. They are transitioning into Manginos having the whole menu.

As far as construction, we did see a sign and noticed new wallpaper in the halls, but no noise. Of course we are at the parks all day.

hope this answers some questions. I do hate to see Evergreens go!!

firenurse
thanks for the info!!

So I wonder if they'll put a little snack bar out near the mickey pool for drinks/snacks???

Did they say if Manginos will then be open for late night snacking wiht the evergreen's food?? (pizza etc)? and will they be calling it everginos? :lmao:

It depends on your family's priorities.

For the nicest rooms with granite bathroom counters, ask for the new section

If you want to be close to the mickey pool or the little px, ask for the older section.

If you are going to take your personal car each day, the newer section is closer to the parking deck.

Just a few thoughts. I hope other chime in...................

PS. you can call anytime to add a preference to your reservation

Which section is closest to the buses to the parks? If you have a car would the bus be the best bet or would taking your vehicle be best? Also with parking, is it a daily rate or do you have to pay again if you leave to go to the parks?

Is there a specific area of the new section to request, a specific floor or view? If you are on the bottom floor can you hear the guests above you?

How far are the pools from the new section? Since I haven't been to SOG since they expanded I haven't a concept of the size of the property at this time.

Thanks for the help!

I found it helpful to google earth a view of SOG.. the bus drop off and pick up at near the front of the building actually underneath the ground.you can see 2 buses on the picture
The 3 buildings surrounding the mickey pool are all the old wing.
I think I"m going to update the picture to outline the various sections...

shadesmap.jpg

and this is an overview of where shades is in relation to Poly/TTC and MK
overview.jpg

Excellent photo. It needs to be on the first page.

I don't think any room is close to the buses so I'd go for close to the pool for the kids. Also, I'd reallt advice bringing a stroller for your little ones. The ones in the parks are very pricey and you can't bring them back to your resort.

buffettgirl- nice picture

tiggerlover- regarding the car situation. Here is what we did....

On days where we just went to one of the 4 main parks, we used the bus and/or monorail

On days where we started off in a park, and then wanted to hit a water park about 2pm, we used our car. That way our coolers and flip flops were easy to get and we did not waste time going back to SOG and then the WP.

If you drive your car, and stay at SOG, you are not supposed to be charged for parking. Between the little tag that hangs on your mirror, and your room key/little green cardboard card- they should be able to identify you as a resort guest and wave you through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter