The **NEW** Grand Floridian FAQ!(MAY 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
vettegirl and KCMike Have a wonderful time!!!!

MikeandAllismom Glad you had a great time:goodvibes

First let me say this will be an overall POSITIVE review. The Grand Floridian will be the ONLY place I stay when visiting Disney. This was my 3rd visit. It is a visually stunning property, the rooms are light, airy & clean and the location on the monorail is so convenient.. They just need to "connect the dots" a little better when it comes to providing truly Outstanding Service the first time. My examples of this follow.

We stayed in Sugar Loaf, the outer concierge building. We arrived early and were greeting by Nadia who took us to a changing room, gave us our keys/park passes and explained we would receive a text when our room was ready (I love that). I asked if they were able to honor my request to face the pool and she said "Yes, you are facing the pool." We spent the day at the parks and received a text message a few hours later with our room number.

Our luggage was waiting for us in the room thanks the to Magical Express Service (love that!) but I was really disappointed in the room location. They gave us 6328, the last room at the end of the hall, and it had a view of two large trees facing the very end of the courtyard where the pool was, but it was not a pool view. As a matter of fact, I really couldn't see anything but tree branches. Also, the room was smaller and had a dormer ceiling and a smaller, enclosed balcony.

I called the front desk to see if it was possible to move (and let me say the I DO understand a request is a request, as I work for a hotel here in PA) and I was told there was nothing available poolside but I could get a marina view. I hate the marina view because of the noise from the boats. They said they would call me back in 5 minutes. After 10 minutes I called and spoke with someone else who said THEY would help me and call back in 5 minutes, but 5 minutes later the original cast member (Chris) called me and said the marina view would not be ready for a few hours. I again pressed for a pool view and after several minutes was told I could get one the NEXT day - voila! Problem solved! I told him I would take it. Just wish that was offered initially - when we did get our new room my son actually said "Wow, this is perfect" - it was smack in the middle of the building with a perfect pool view. Room 6216. Full balcony, sleeper sofa, larger room, perfect pool view. Satisfied customer. Just took some persistence on my part.

Minor issues:

The monorail was down our 2nd day and we were told we could take a bus to Epcot. SO we went to the room to change and hang out for a few hours and when we came back down we asked if they were working. The cast members in the lobby said not yet. So when we got to the bus stop the driver said they WERE working and had been for over an hour. Bad communication.

The movies on the beach were changed to movies by the pool which was kind of a bummer because I like the marshmallows by the campfire - but they had a huge event tent set up on the beach so that wasn't available. It was nice - but the Cast Member did a "trivia" Q&A before the movie - we had not yet seen 'Tangled' and it pretty much gave away the whole movie. Maybe they should do that AFTER the movie...? Especially if it is fairly new...?

I received a package from work and when I called to retrieve it I was told there was a $3.00 "handling fee" - huh? For GETTING a package I didn't expect? I asked what that was for and he kept saying "handling fee" and I said I didn't think it was right to charge me for getting a package (it was a gift from my coworkers!) and he said " I will waive it this time but normally we charge." As a hotel manager I NEVER surprise my Guests with hidden fees and I just thought this was shady. I am staying the the premier resort at Disney! Don't charge Guests for packages please!

We slept in one day until 1130 and arrived at the Grand Floridian Cafe at noon. I asked if I could still get breakfast and was told "No I'm sorry it's lunch." I asked politely if there was any way to just get some eggs or something and Loren said "No we normally have a limited menu until noon but we can only do lunch." I said "Are you sure?" (because I just didn't believe it) and she got the manager Lindsay - a smiling woman who accommodated me right away and allowed me to order off of the limited menu. On my way out I told Loren to never tell a Guest no until she was sure and her response was "I hope you come to see us again." It was kind of not-polished service and they would have lost my $53 sale if I hadn't persisted.

My son was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. I had seen some Off in the gift shop but when I went to get it, it was gone. SO I asked the concierge at Sugar Loaf if he knew where I could get some. He called over to the Polynesian, they said they had it, and he asked them to hold it for me. Well, it was 820 pm and I wanted to catch the 9pm pool movie, so I waited for the boat to the Poly, ran up the steps and no one at their gift shop knew what I was talking about - as a matter of fact, they said they sold the last can last night. I told them my concierge had just talked to someone and they spent 5 minutes trying to figure our who that was to place the blame. I really didn't care and they were not concerned about fixing my problem so I left, and by the time I got back I was in tears from frustration and spoke to my concierge Kent who was very upset he was misinformed. He then came out to me while I was at the movies and said the manager was going to get me a can of bug spray for all the trouble and have it delivered to my room. Now wow, that is outstanding service, right? After the movie I got a knock on the door with two cans of bug spray. Although I had an initial problem I was glad they made it right. It's a shame they don't have better communication between resorts.

When I got my bill at checkout there was a "Paid Out" amount of $10.45 that I didn't recognize. When I called the front desk and questioned the charge, they said it said "Guest requested bug spray." Oh no they did not! I told her I did not realize I would be charged for that and explained the situation and then they talked to Chris who said it would be taken off. Which was fine, and it fixed the problem - but again, they need to have the foresight to provide the "extra service" at the first opportunity.

OK so perhaps this review sounded negative, but I am sure you can identify the "service opportunities" here. All in all, my stay was great, and I am coming back again in November, because I just love this place and how it makes me feel. It's early in the season and I hope they can tighten and polish their service a bit, it would truly make this the shining example of hospitality that Disney is known for. The bell staff is phenomenal and never took more than 5 minutes to get to the room. The turn-down service at night is a nice touch and the snacks throughout the day in the concierge building are an added plus. There are also movie rentals available for the DVD's in the room - they have a nice selection of 100's of Disney titles.

I did visit the spa which was the best part of my trip. The waiting area got a bit crowded but it was FANTASTIC and I had the best massage of my life (note" the essential oils they let you smell are a $15 upgrade) I saw a sign at their desk noting them as one of the top 25 spas in the U.S. Well deserved.

Their pool is huge and never seems crowded, and I love the quick service meals at Gasparilla's. The Basin White gift shop is AWESOME and I love the smell of the place, there are fresh flowers everywhere, and I have never had trouble with housekeeping. My favorite quote at work is "Excellence is in the details." - If they get the details down pat this resort will be even better.

First let me say this will be an overall POSITIVE review. The Grand Floridian will be the ONLY place I stay when visiting Disney. This was my 3rd visit. It is a visually stunning property, the rooms are light, airy & clean and the location on the monorail is so convenient.. They just need to "connect the dots" a little better when it comes to providing truly Outstanding Service the first time. My examples of this follow.

We stayed in Sugar Loaf, the outer concierge building. We arrived early and were greeting by Nadia who took us to a changing room, gave us our keys/park passes and explained we would receive a text when our room was ready (I love that). I asked if they were able to honor my request to face the pool and she said "Yes, you are facing the pool." We spent the day at the parks and received a text message a few hours later with our room number.

Our luggage was waiting for us in the room thanks the to Magical Express Service (love that!) but I was really disappointed in the room location. They gave us 6328, the last room at the end of the hall, and it had a view of two large trees facing the very end of the courtyard where the pool was, but it was not a pool view. As a matter of fact, I really couldn't see anything but tree branches. Also, the room was smaller and had a dormer ceiling and a smaller, enclosed balcony.

I called the front desk to see if it was possible to move (and let me say the I DO understand a request is a request, as I work for a hotel here in PA) and I was told there was nothing available poolside but I could get a marina view. I hate the marina view because of the noise from the boats. They said they would call me back in 5 minutes. After 10 minutes I called and spoke with someone else who said THEY would help me and call back in 5 minutes, but 5 minutes later the original cast member (Chris) called me and said the marina view would not be ready for a few hours. I again pressed for a pool view and after several minutes was told I could get one the NEXT day - voila! Problem solved! I told him I would take it. Just wish that was offered initially - when we did get our new room my son actually said "Wow, this is perfect" - it was smack in the middle of the building with a perfect pool view. Room 6216. Full balcony, sleeper sofa, larger room, perfect pool view. Satisfied customer. Just took some persistence on my part.

Minor issues:

The monorail was down our 2nd day and we were told we could take a bus to Epcot. SO we went to the room to change and hang out for a few hours and when we came back down we asked if they were working. The cast members in the lobby said not yet. So when we got to the bus stop the driver said they WERE working and had been for over an hour. Bad communication.

The movies on the beach were changed to movies by the pool which was kind of a bummer because I like the marshmallows by the campfire - but they had a huge event tent set up on the beach so that wasn't available. It was nice - but the Cast Member did a "trivia" Q&A before the movie - we had not yet seen 'Tangled' and it pretty much gave away the whole movie. Maybe they should do that AFTER the movie...? Especially if it is fairly new...?

I received a package from work and when I called to retrieve it I was told there was a $3.00 "handling fee" - huh? For GETTING a package I didn't expect? I asked what that was for and he kept saying "handling fee" and I said I didn't think it was right to charge me for getting a package (it was a gift from my coworkers!) and he said " I will waive it this time but normally we charge." As a hotel manager I NEVER surprise my Guests with hidden fees and I just thought this was shady. I am staying the the premier resort at Disney! Don't charge Guests for packages please!

We slept in one day until 1130 and arrived at the Grand Floridian Cafe at noon. I asked if I could still get breakfast and was told "No I'm sorry it's lunch." I asked politely if there was any way to just get some eggs or something and Loren said "No we normally have a limited menu until noon but we can only do lunch." I said "Are you sure?" (because I just didn't believe it) and she got the manager Lindsay - a smiling woman who accommodated me right away and allowed me to order off of the limited menu. On my way out I told Loren to never tell a Guest no until she was sure and her response was "I hope you come to see us again." It was kind of not-polished service and they would have lost my $53 sale if I hadn't persisted.

My son was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. I had seen some Off in the gift shop but when I went to get it, it was gone. SO I asked the concierge at Sugar Loaf if he knew where I could get some. He called over to the Polynesian, they said they had it, and he asked them to hold it for me. Well, it was 820 pm and I wanted to catch the 9pm pool movie, so I waited for the boat to the Poly, ran up the steps and no one at their gift shop knew what I was talking about - as a matter of fact, they said they sold the last can last night. I told them my concierge had just talked to someone and they spent 5 minutes trying to figure our who that was to place the blame. I really didn't care and they were not concerned about fixing my problem so I left, and by the time I got back I was in tears from frustration and spoke to my concierge Kent who was very upset he was misinformed. He then came out to me while I was at the movies and said the manager was going to get me a can of bug spray for all the trouble and have it delivered to my room. Now wow, that is outstanding service, right? After the movie I got a knock on the door with two cans of bug spray. Although I had an initial problem I was glad they made it right. It's a shame they don't have better communication between resorts.

When I got my bill at checkout there was a "Paid Out" amount of $10.45 that I didn't recognize. When I called the front desk and questioned the charge, they said it said "Guest requested bug spray." Oh no they did not! I told her I did not realize I would be charged for that and explained the situation and then they talked to Chris who said it would be taken off. Which was fine, and it fixed the problem - but again, they need to have the foresight to provide the "extra service" at the first opportunity.

OK so perhaps this review sounded negative, but I am sure you can identify the "service opportunities" here. All in all, my stay was great, and I am coming back again in November, because I just love this place and how it makes me feel. It's early in the season and I hope they can tighten and polish their service a bit, it would truly make this the shining example of hospitality that Disney is known for. The bell staff is phenomenal and never took more than 5 minutes to get to the room. The turn-down service at night is a nice touch and the snacks throughout the day in the concierge building are an added plus. There are also movie rentals available for the DVD's in the room - they have a nice selection of 100's of Disney titles.

I did visit the spa which was the best part of my trip. The waiting area got a bit crowded but it was FANTASTIC and I had the best massage of my life (note" the essential oils they let you smell are a $15 upgrade) I saw a sign at their desk noting them as one of the top 25 spas in the U.S. Well deserved.

Their pool is huge and never seems crowded, and I love the quick service meals at Gasparilla's. The Basin White gift shop is AWESOME and I love the smell of the place, there are fresh flowers everywhere, and I have never had trouble with housekeeping. My favorite quote at work is "Excellence is in the details." - If they get the details down pat this resort will be even better.
Thank you for posting such a detailed TR:thumbsup2. The lack of attention to the finer details may be one reason that a few years ago WDW changed from calling it "concierge level" to simply "club level." The concierge-type services one might expect from "club level" can be inconsistent. But, it does say a lot that you would still only stay at the GF. May I ask if you've stayed at other WDW CLs? If so, is the GF your favorite CL?

Do they have poolside waiters? Just wondering.
6 more days for us.:cool1:

We are checking in the same day. Did I ask before if your wife is the one with thy ca, maybe I have you mixed up with another diser?

Mouseturtle, thanks for your honest review, very informative, we check in Friday. Just wondering what you ordered from Gaspirillas? Havent gotten anything from there before.

I just read on another thread how a couple got upgraded to lagoon view room and had a bottle of champagne in their room for their anniv. this past week end.

We noted on our reservation that its our anniv. when we check in on Friday. We have booked the standard room. Honestly I dont care about a room upgrade or champagne, but I do care about a room closest to the main building due to my mobility issues.

So would I ask for Big Pine Key, is this a standard room, if they try to give us a upgrade, (not expecting it), just saying if they offered it is it o.k. to politely say no, if its just too far of a walk etc. I dont think I can do online check in anyway since our room was not booked through disney.

Also has anyone asked for a resort wheelchair to use during their stay? I know we have at Poly, BC, Yacht etc.

Thanks for the info.

This will be our first time with a car at Disney. How much is the valet and I am assuming it's a daily charge?

It is a daily charge. Not sure of the current rate as we only occasionally use valet with TiW...is it $12/day?

I just read on another thread how a couple got upgraded to lagoon view room and had a bottle of champagne in their room for their anniv. this past week end.

We noted on our reservation that its our anniv. when we check in on Friday. We have booked the standard room. Honestly I dont care about a room upgrade or champagne, but I do care about a room closest to the main building due to my mobility issues.

So would I ask for Big Pine Key, is this a standard room, if they try to give us a upgrade, (not expecting it), just saying if they offered it is it o.k. to politely say no, if its just too far of a walk etc. I dont think I can do online check in anyway since our room was not booked through disney.

Also has anyone asked for a resort wheelchair to use during their stay? I know we have at Poly, BC, Yacht etc.

Thanks for the info.

We've been at the GF for several anniversaries now and have never been upgraded nor received any acknowledgement of the occasion so I think you are right on the mark to not expect anything.:goodvibes

Of course it is fine to turn down an upgrade if it puts you further from the main building. When you booked, did you TA explain your needs? If so, the GF will probably take great care of you. Big Pine Key has a variety of views including garden (standard).

Yes, we've been able to obtain a manual wheelchair at the GF when our DD's rental power chair when on the fritz some years ago.

Have a wonderful anniversary trip to the GF.:wizard:

vettegirl and KCMike, hope your vacations are Grand, too.

Mouseturtle, thanks for the review. I do think communication can be a weak link at WDW these days. I think it grew so quickly in the 90s that communication never quite caught up.

Mouseturtle, thanks for your honest review, very informative, we check in Friday. Just wondering what you ordered from Gaspirillas? Havent gotten anything from there before.

We got breakfast one day (Mickey waffles!) but mostly had lunch. The chicken salad was good, and my son HAD to have the lobster macaroni two days in a row. He absolutely loved it. I'll be posting some pics

I simply cannot believe my week is over...here are a few pics

Our room, 6216, the one directly above the roof "peak"

Disney146.jpg
[/IMG]

The view from our balcony (the balcony was not "see thru" since it was above the roof

Disney5-6-11002.jpg
[/IMG]

The inside of our room
Disney5-6-11001.jpg
[/IMG]

The new espresso/latte machine - it looks upscale I guess! you insert a pod and press the button for latte or espresso, and then they have two little milk steamers that you can add frothy milk to your cup. Personally I liked the "old" machine better, but this one looks nicer.

Disney2011053.jpg
[/IMG]

coffee pods - neat! they even had decaf!
Disney2011059.jpg

*sigh* miss this view!
Disney012.jpg
[/IMG]

movies by the pool
Disney5-6-11036.jpg
[/IMG]

The delicious roasted chicken salad from Gasparilla's. With walnuts, raisins, and tossed in a light vinaigrette.

Disney2011052.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you for posting your photos, mouseturtle. The coffee machine is the same one they have had for quite a while at the CR's Atrium Club. They are really easy to use and make a decent, fresh cup of coffee. I, too love the choice of decaf.

Thanks for the review, I too work at a hotel so it's always the little things I notice out of habit. But they do make all the difference in the world.

We will be staying RPC for the first time in Oct. My children have food allergies to tree nuts and sesame. Does anyone have any experience staying club level with food allergies? Will they let me know what food is safe for my children? Will they provide alternatives? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Here now at are beloved GF. We were upgraded to a deluxe room with a living room. Staff has been top notch. Room is spotless. Its so good to be back home!

Hope you have a wonderful time at GF! What did you do to get the upgrade?

We just found out that our trip will have a grand surprise! Our daughter's boyfriend (who will be traveling with us) will ask her to marry him!:love: He just asked for permission. (old fashioned but much appreciated) I am hoping that I can get Disney to help make this surprise truly magical!
I can't wait till November for our first time stay at the GF and love too!!!!!:woohoo:

Let me get this straight, your at the GF, been upgraded and it's sunny too I bet! OMG I am completely jealous!

Mouseturtle,

I noticed the "work at a hotel in PA", but didn't much care because there are so many hotels in PA. But the Cedar Crest sweatshirt in one of your pictures got my attention enough to scroll back up and see the Hershey that you post. All of this back story to say hello from a Cumberland Valley grad.

Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Grand, will be enjoying ours very soon. :cool1:

Thank you for posting such a detailed TR:thumbsup2. The lack of attention to the finer details may be one reason that a few years ago WDW changed from calling it "concierge level" to simply "club level." The concierge-type services one might expect from "club level" can be inconsistent. But, it does say a lot that you would still only stay at the GF. May I ask if you've stayed at other WDW CLs? If so, is the GF your favorite CL?

I have only stayed CL at the GF...3 years ago I was moved from the Poly to the GF (long story!) and just feel "spoiled" by the atmosphere. I love the extra attention of the concierge desk downstairs. The snacks I could take or leave (although we did more taking than leaving, especially when they had these little painted chocolate mousse hearts - to die for!)

So I have never stayed anywhere else, but don't want to.

Mouseturtle,

I noticed the "work at a hotel in PA", but didn't much care because there are so many hotels in PA. But the Cedar Crest sweatshirt in one of your pictures got my attention enough to scroll back up and see the Hershey that you post. All of this back story to say hello from a Cumberland Valley grad.

Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Grand, will be enjoying ours very soon. :cool1:

Fabulous! My son actually had tennis practice there a few weeks ago! Nice school. :)

Have fun!

We will be staying RPC for the first time in Oct. My children have food allergies to tree nuts and sesame. Does anyone have any experience staying club level with food allergies? Will they let me know what food is safe for my children? Will they provide alternatives? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

My DD has peanut, tree nut, and seafood/shellfish allergies. We have stayed CL many times at the Poly. They have a binder that has ingredient lists in it. Some items were ok, others she stayed away from. Honestly, breakfasts were fine, but evening offerings were slim. Veggies and dip, cheese and crackers mosltly. Uncrustables (peanutbutter and jelly) were always open on a platter, so we avoided anything that could be cross-contaminated. The chef was great about having a special dessert for her a few times too. We will be staying CL at the GF in July, so I emailed her allergies to IPO and we will see how thing go. Disney is great with food allergies, but I usually have safe food for her just in case.

Thanks for the reply Mrs. K. I would be interested to hear how things work out for your July trip with CL and food allergies. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter