The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Everyone,
I need alittle info from my Grand Floridian experts. We leave on Sunday for a week. I just spoke to the Grand Floridian fron desk and they assigned our rooms just now because my daughter has seizures. We are in Big Pine Key(building 9), first floor. We have lagoon view rooms but she just told me we will face the Polynesian Resort.
Will we be able to see the castle or monorial from this location? She said we would be the last two rooms, first floor, right near a exit that takes you right to the main building just ahead. What is the theme in this building? and last quaetion, Do we have a patio with chairs if we are on the first floor?
Any info would be great. You people always know so much.
Thank-You,
PammyPoppons

PammyPoppins - Hi! I hope you enjoy your trip to the GF. It sounds like your view will be the Polynesian and GF Wedding Chapel - you will also be able to see the GF beach and theme pool area. You will not see the castle or monorail from this location. The theme of Big Pine is Alice in Wonderland. You will be close to both pools and the main building but farthest from Gasparilla's, the take-out place at GF. Even so, you are only a 5 to 6 minute walk from there. If you want a shot at seeing the castle and/or monorail, you could request Sago or Conch. What location requirements do you have with your daughter's condition? oh, and yes you should have chairs and a table on your patio.

I haven't been in Big Pine Key but would have thought with a lagoon view you could see the monorail heading toward the TTC, then onto the Polynesian. Depending on the room and trees, you might be able to see it between the Polynesian and GF, too couldn't you? Or the express monorail in the other order of course. :teeth:

But as I said, we've not been in that building.

Have fun, PammyPoppins.

Disney Fool said:
They DO have them in Sugar Loaf. I've stayed in an Alice room in Sugar Loaf

They had just replaced all the comforters in SL when we were there in December. If you look at my pics from then (see siggie) you can see what they looked like.

i emailed the IPO and asked there are no alice themed rooms at sugar loaf
im not saying there werent but there arent now

Our two stays in Sugar Loaf, both connecting rooms had the Cameo design. We had Alice in Conch Key on two other trips and despite loving blue, I didn't care for it at all. :confused3

Wanted to ask this question prior to making ressies in December. We are going to stay GF garden view mid July 2007. This is our first time back since our honeymoon and the kids will be going too. We stayed in Sago Cay last time with a room facing the monorail. What's the best request I can make for a garden view room? Sago Cay seems like a good location close to the main building, do all of the rooms have balconies? Anything else I should take into consideration? We will be spending alot of resort time on this trip, if that make a difference.

We stayed at the CR Atrium Club last year and had a lake view. It was beautiful. What are the views like from RPC?

Thanks

Well,I cancelled my 1 bd suite for Thanksgiving trip. I hated to do it but DH gave me 300 pts. @ BWV for Christmas!! After receiving such a wonderful present,I couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for a one week stay. I booked a water view at the Yacht Club instead.
Some of you may remember that I planned to surprise my DD with the suite. She will still have her surprise G.O.A.L ..I'm waiting to hear what fabulous plans Jane has in store for Rie and her friend.
Thanks everybody for all your help on the GF board. Special thanks to Channing!

theostwalts said:
We stayed at the CR Atrium Club last year and had a lake view. It was beautiful. What are the views like from RPC?

Thanks

Hi! We just returned from RPC, we had a 3rd flr lagoon beach/pool view - it was very pretty! I was at 1st disappointed that we didnt get our requested "MK" view, but after acclamating ourselves w/ the layout, & taking out mouse boats to check everything out from the water, we decided the "MK" view from RPC is not what its cracked up to be. We really enjoyed the pool/beach view we had & were happy we didnt get the MK view after all!

After reading Triplefigs CR report & experiencing our recent stay, we have decided that despite the hype about GF, CR has the absolute best location! DH already booked there for next year, anticipating being able to see the fireworks closely from our room :3dglasses :wizard: , which we missed our entire 8 day trip this time.

The GF is lovely, it was very nice to be greeted in the main lobby & whisked away to RPC (on departure we noticed RPC staff actually outside waiting for RPC guests, we missed out on this, but were quickly met in the lobby), we felt very special being given the tour by RPC while onlookers wondered who we were :p :rotfl: but the whole experience was not what I had imagined it to be. We did get all our ADR's, but I could have done that myself, & will next time. We didnt get any preferred seating or anything, ;) & had to share a table w/ another party at the GF's $500 princess tea party we attended. :rotfl:

The lounge was nice, but decidedly not worth the extra $ for us, we used it daily for a quick breakfast which was convenient, then again for a soda or cookie later, we did hit the evening apps once which I thought was nice, DH didnt care for it. I had to check out the evening cordial set up, which looked nice, but I didnt feel the need to go back for it the rest of the stay. The cappucino machine is amazing, & my kids LOVED the cookies! The lounge staff were super, though there were a very few people frequenting the lounge who seemed to feel the need to prove they were special enough to be there :rolleyes: ;)

Our room was clean, the band & piano player were enjoyable, & the convenience of the monorail was great w/ kids, but next time we will try CR. And if we return to GF, it will be in a regular room, as they have just as nice a view IMO.

HTH - Im no expert on GF, but having just returned, Id be happy to answer any questions! :goodvibes

poohluvrs said:
Hi! We just returned from RPC, we had a 3rd flr lagoon beach/pool view - it was very pretty! I was at 1st disappointed that we didnt get our requested "MK" view, but after acclamating ourselves w/ the layout, & taking out mouse boats to check everything out from the water, we decided the "MK" view from RPC is not what its cracked up to be. We really enjoyed the pool/beach view we had & were happy we didnt get the MK view after all!

After reading Triplefigs CR report & experiencing our recent stay, we have decided that despite the hype about GF, CR has the absolute best location! DH already booked there for next year, anticipating being able to see the fireworks closely from our room :3dglasses :wizard: , which we missed our entire 8 day trip this time.

The GF is lovely, it was very nice to be greeted in the main lobby & whisked away to RPC (on departure we noticed RPC staff actually outside waiting for RPC guests, we missed out on this, but were quickly met in the lobby), we felt very special being given the tour by RPC while onlookers wondered who we were :p :rotfl: but the whole experience was not what I had imagined it to be. We did get all our ADR's, but I could have done that myself, & will next time. We didnt get any preferred seating or anything, ;) & had to share a table w/ another party at the GF's $500 princess tea party we attended. :rotfl:

The lounge was nice, but decidedly not worth the extra $ for us, we used it daily for a quick breakfast which was convenient, then again for a soda or cookie later, we did hit the evening apps once which I thought was nice, DH didnt care for it. I had to check out the evening cordial set up, which looked nice, but I didnt feel the need to go back for it the rest of the stay. The cappucino machine is amazing, & my kids LOVED the cookies! The lounge staff were super, though there were a very few people frequenting the lounge who seemed to feel the need to prove they were special enough to be there :rolleyes: ;)

Our room was clean, the band & piano player were enjoyable, & the convenience of the monorail was great w/ kids, but next time we will try CR. And if we return to GF, it will be in a regular room, as they have just as nice a view IMO.

HTH - Im no expert on GF, but having just returned, Id be happy to answer any questions! :goodvibes

Sounds like you had a nice trip

i always wonder how the CL knows are you gonna be there. Especially with people taking ME?

So does this mean you would do CR over GF next time?

Poohlovrs - Aw. Sounds like it was a nice trip but had it's disappointments. Thanks for the review. I know TripleFigs' CR report was wonderful. I have stayed at the CR concierge more times than I can count over the past 15 yrs, but I prefer GF so much more. Triple had me going, but I know GF is the best for us. To each his own. :) I have had that MK view almost every time we've been - I am counting on it for our Xmas trip!! I would be bummed not to get it actually even though that courtyard view is still pretty. I would miss the nightly view of the fireworks, too, so I totally understand. I think room location has a lot to do with whether you enjoy a resort or not. We stayed Poly LVC and had a ground floor room with a view of a thick bush - wasn't that raved about castle view and bush view didn't "do it" for me. Then we stayed BWI concierge deluxe and had a wonderful BW view, but the way up to the lounge was so awkward it made the whole convenience of the concierge/lounge thing go out the window.

What happened in the lounge with the "special" people, LOL??? I know on our July trip, we actually saw a guest YELL and make a big scene at one of the nicest lounge CMs!! Some people have no class. :rolleyes: It was as if she actually wanted everybody else up there to hear her issue. I felt awful for the CM - especially after we had just tipped the CMs and told them how much they have added to our trip!!!! (We have known them for a couple years and they always greet us and go out of their way)

Sorry your stay at the GF wasn't all you expected. I feel bad it wasn't just wonderful. Try the CR and maybe that will be great for you! My kids love that resort. It is a very hoppin' place. :goodvibes

Lives4Disney :)

rie'smom said:
Well,I cancelled my 1 bd suite for Thanksgiving trip. I hated to do it but DH gave me 300 pts. @ BWV for Christmas!! After receiving such a wonderful present,I couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for a one week stay. I booked a water view at the Yacht Club instead.
Some of you may remember that I planned to surprise my DD with the suite. She will still have her surprise G.O.A.L ..I'm waiting to hear what fabulous plans Jane has in store for Rie and her friend.
Thanks everybody for all your help on the GF board. Special thanks to Channing!

Julie - OH!! :guilty: Well, maybe a future GF trip to plan! :) You will have a wonderful time at the YC and BWI. That is a fun area. I am curious about your GOAL surprise. Let us know how that comes off. :goodvibes Hope everything turns out wonderfully for you. That is so nice of you to take your DD's friend. I keep forgetting to mention that. My son (16) wants to take a friend and I may break down and go for that idea on a trip. He stayed with a friend when we went down in July and it was nice not to have that teenage "attitude", but we all missed him and his fun. I will be also interested in how the friend coming along plays out. Have a GREAT time! :thumbsup2

Channing aka Lives4Disney :)

Alicnwondrln said:
Sounds like you had a nice trip

i always wonder how the CL knows are you gonna be there. Especially with people taking ME?

So does this mean you would do CR over GF next time?

We did have a great trip, it was very nice to have a relaxing resort to retreat to in the afternoon! I could have spent a few days at the resort alone, but the kids wanted to be at MK!

I had emailed concierge to let them know when we'd be arriving (not b/c we were expecting them to meet us outside, but b/c our flight times had changed & I just figured Id notify them as well as ME)...they did immediately rush to our side when they realized we were in RPC, giving my kids Cindy stickers & taking my handbag/stroller! :goodvibes

I think we'll enjoy trying CR next time, I would never have thought I'd feel that way, I always thought the CR was ugly looking! But I also thought the pics of the GF rooms were not that great, but they are very pretty in person! I would definately stay at GF again, I just personally did not feel staying RPC or in the main bldg was worth the money. I thought the whole resort was just as nice, you could easily enjoy the band from a seat in the lobby, & go back to a quiet room! ;)
Im very happy we tried RPC once though!

Lives4Disney said:
Poohlovrs - Aw. Sounds like it was a nice trip but had it's disappointments. Thanks for the review. I know TripleFigs' CR report was wonderful. I have stayed at the CR concierge more times than I can count over the past 15 yrs, but I prefer GF so much more. Triple had me going, but I know GF is the best for us. To each his own. :) I have had that MK view almost every time we've been - I am counting on it for our Xmas trip!! I would be bummed not to get it actually even though that courtyard view is still pretty. I would miss the nightly view of the fireworks, too, so I totally understand. I think room location has a lot to do with whether you enjoy a resort or not. We stayed Poly LVC and had a ground floor room with a view of a thick bush - wasn't that raved about castle view and bush view didn't "do it" for me. Then we stayed BWI concierge deluxe and had a wonderful BW view, but the way up to the lounge was so awkward it made the whole convenience of the concierge/lounge thing go out the window.

What happened in the lounge with the "special" people, LOL??? I know on our July trip, we actually saw a guest YELL and make a big scene at one of the nicest lounge CMs!! Some people have no class. :rolleyes: It was as if she actually wanted everybody else up there to hear her issue. I felt awful for the CM - especially after we had just tipped the CMs and told them how much they have added to our trip!!!! (We have known them for a couple years and they always greet us and go out of their way)

Sorry your stay at the GF wasn't all you expected. I feel bad it wasn't just wonderful. Try the CR and maybe that will be great for you! My kids love that resort. It is a very hoppin' place. :goodvibes

HI! I was almost expecting to see your beautiful daughters on our stay! I just associate GF w/ you & TammiM! ;)
Triplefigs writes a mean trip report haha! I was surprised to see it when I returned, as I recognized her from this thread, & DH had just booked our CR trip for next year! I shouldnt make a judgmenet about the MK view RPC rooms, as we were never actually in one! But we did enjoy the view of the beach/pool. I may be disappointed w/ CR & wish we booked GF next year,as I do think its the prettiest WDW resort, but we'll give it a try!

Nothing specific happened at the lounge,I guess I found it sad that everyone is pretty much spending the same amount of $ to be there, & 1 or 2 families needed to make a point that they thought they were above everyone, when really they have no idea how much $ any given person there has! They changed the tv channel on other guests mid-program, were obnoxious to CM's, you summed it up w/ the phrase "no class". Though I have to write there were many more genuine, friendly people than the few bad apples.
The lounge CMs were wonderful, always quick w/ a "thank you so much!" when I returned a dish to the clearing tray, etc. I'm just OCD & hate to leave a mess, its rude to the other resort guests IMO!

You are right about the room you get affecting your overall feel of the resort. We did dinner at Ohanas one night & I have no desire to stay there at all! But you never know til you experience it!

Alicnwondrln said:
i love CR and this will be mu first trip back to GF since it opened
i am looking forward to it

Kelly - It's funny we all like CR!! I read so many posts about how ugly and "UnDisney" it is, lol. I think it is VERY Disney and OK, maybe it's not pretty, but it is a fun place. We have years of fun memories at that resort.

Poohluvrs, thanks for the reply. :sunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter