• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa FAQ (March 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked our GF stay about two weeks ago and paid the deposit. On Saturday, DH received a 40% discount pin via e-mail. Called CRO and had them apply the discount. VERY NICE SAVINGS!

BUT now I am worried that we might get a bad room at GF due to the discount rate. The last trip we had booked via AAA for a small discount but the room was still wonderful. Don't know why but I hope with this deep discount we won't get a bad room. Has anyone else ever used a GV room using the 40% discount? If so, did you notice a change in quality of room?
AM I BEING PARANOID?

I heard July.
Thanks! I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

I booked our GF stay about two weeks ago and paid the deposit. On Saturday, DH received a 40% discount pin via e-mail. Called CRO and had them apply the discount. VERY NICE SAVINGS!

BUT now I am worried that we might get a bad room at GF due to the discount rate. The last trip we had booked via AAA for a small discount but the room was still wonderful. Don't know why but I hope with this deep discount we won't get a bad room. Has anyone else ever used a GV room using the 40% discount? If so, did you notice a change in quality of room?
AM I BEING PARANOID?
We had a 40% pin code that I used for a trip in August 07. I had booked a GV room for the 5 of us for 8 nights, so with all of those facts taken into consideration we were shocked when we were met as we exited the ME bus and told that we had been upgraded to Sugar Loaf Concierge. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. :wizard:

Thanks DISYADY Happy to hear about your upgrade. That's wonderful!

As long as I am in a nice GV room I'll be super happy! :)

AM I BEING PARANOID?

Congratulations on the pin code that is great!!!:thumbsup2 and I wouldnt worry about the room they are all so nice and I doubt they would be assigning where your room is based on a discount...:confused3 Lives4Disney has often advised that if at check in you dont like where your room is on the map to just ask for a different one...and they are very accomodating...

Have a great trip...:flower3:

Thanks DISYADY Happy to hear about your upgrade. That's wonderful!

As long as I am in a nice GV room I'll be super happy! :)

Thank you so much and you are very welcome. When is your trip? I think that occupancy levels have more to do with requests being met than anything else. We always travel to the GF during the last 2 weeks of August when things are a little slower. We didn't get an upgrade last year for our 25th anniversary but there was a very large convention there when we checked in so that might have had something to do with it.

I have only had to switch rooms twice in all of my visits to the GF since 1991 and both times they were more than helpful and had us switched in no time. If they can accommodate your requests they will.

Have a magical, memorable trip! :wizard:

We are mainly looking for a "grab a muffin and go" type of breakfast for most days. We have Chef Mickey's one day. And plan do to just grab something quick at the park. I saw alot of bad reviews of the Grand Floridan Cafe lately. "Paper thin steaks, bad service and on an on." Is it really that bad, we have a ADR for our first night there.

Just wanted to say that we have NEVER had a bad meal at the Grand Floridian Cafe in the 13 years that we've been going there :)

As far as a quick grab and go breakfast , Gasparilla is your best bet :thumbsup2

Just wanted to note that lovebugs go away in the evening and are at the worst between 10a-12p...... So maybe book your cabana in the afternoon from 2-6. HTH!

I just wanted to mention that when I booked my cabana, the CM told me the times for a 1/2 day are 10:00 am to 2:00 pm or 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. You can also rent it for a whole day. I am a little nervous about the lovebugs now because I rented a cabana for 2 of my days from 10:00 to 2:00 pm. :scared1: I hope they don't bother us. We went in May of 2005 and never had a problem with the lovebugs so hopefully this time will be the same.

Loralie

I just got off the phone making our ADR's.:banana: :banana: I called at 7:00. It's now 8:38. :scared1: I'm glad that it is over. I couldn't get Sci Fi and have to call Narcoossee's directly as we are a party of 11 for that night. I'm not changing a thing. I don't want to go through that again.

I just got off the phone making our ADR's.:banana: :banana: I called at 7:00. It's now 8:38. :scared1: I'm glad that it is over. I couldn't get Sci Fi and have to call Narcoossee's directly as we are a party of 11 for that night. I'm not changing a thing. I don't want to go through that again.

Congratulations!

joining in on the fun!!

Welcome to the GF FAQ!:dance3:

Gasparilla was the Nickname of the spanish pirate Jose Gaspar, who operated along the Florida coast. In keeping with the seven seas lagoon theme a little pirate food stop probably seemed like fun to the original GF planners. :)

Yes, Sheli is right! :thumbsup2
Tampa celebrates Gasparilla Pirate Fest and Invasion every year. It is our local Mardi Gras! My uncle has taken part in the invasion and come into the bay on the Jose Gaspar for years. It is a lot of fun!

Thank you, thank you!!:flower3:
I knew someone here would know, and I love hearing about all the underlying meanings behind our favorite Disney attractions and establishments!

Hi everyone.

We'll be at the Grand August 8, and now I see this on another website:

Construction update
Here is the listing of interesting items from paperwork filed with Orange County in the last couple of weeks:
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa lobby area – removal of lobby carpet and installation of new marble flooring.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the dates? I know this work has been in the planning stages for quite a while. I'm hoping it'll be done by the time I get there. Any idea about how long the lobby will be torn up? Thanks!

Tam1067, Thank you for the heads up. I would like to know when it will be done also. It is going to look so beautiful when it is finished.:thumbsup2

O.K...this is going to sound dumb but I have to ask...when do you leave the tip for turndown service? I know I would leave mousekeeping tips in an envelope every morning but if I am at the parks all day when do I leave a tip for turndown service? Do you have a separate envelope for turndown and leave it in the morning too? Some days we will come back to the room in the afternoon so I guess before we leave again I could leave the tip but what about the days we plan to be gone most of the day? :confused3

I feel stupid for not knowing this but this is the place to ask these questions, right?

TIA,

Loralie

O.K...this is going to sound dumb but I have to ask...when do you leave the tip for turndown service? I know I would leave mousekeeping tips in an envelope every morning but if I am at the parks all day when do I leave a tip for turndown service? Do you have a separate envelope for turndown and leave it in the morning too? Some days we will come back to the room in the afternoon so I guess before we leave again I could leave the tip but what about the days we plan to be gone most of the day? :confused3

I feel stupid for not knowing this but this is the place to ask these questions, right?

TIA,

Loralie

post 168 and 169
I leave a couple more dollars in an envie at night for them. It is usually a different CM.

Hi everyone.

Construction update
Here is the listing of interesting items from paperwork filed with Orange County in the last couple of weeks:
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa lobby area – removal of lobby carpet and installation of new marble flooring.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the dates? I know this work has been in the planning stages for quite a while. I'm hoping it'll be done by the time I get there. Any idea about how long the lobby will be torn up? Thanks!

post 159 and 160
We are hearing the end of July.

Hi everyone.

Construction update

I understand the need to maintain/upgrade but why during our vacation :confused:

I have saved and dreamed for three years in order to return to the RPC. We loved our stay there in 2006 :goodvibes

Is there anybody here that saw what the lobby looked like during the earlier work? How disruptive was it to a RPC stay? We love sitting in the peaceful lounge during the daytime breaks and enjoy the music in the evenings while we have champagne.

I think that lobby work would have to impact RPC guests. I really don't want to hear workmen and look at plastic and other construction materials.

Sorry for the vent, but I figured this was a safe place :flower3:

We really have no alternative to the GF - there is no alternative to the GF for what we want on this part of our vacation. Can't change dates - vacation has been approved and kids summer camps are set.

We check in on July 26th. Please, oh please, let the work be completed!

Thanks again for allowing me to :scared1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter