• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Magic 2017..Where will she sail?

I know I am in the minority here (as most want the Magic to go to Europe for the summer of 2017) but I would love it if she could travel to Bermuda from NYC. A 5 night or 7 night stay would be awesome. I have done a 5 night on RCCL. It was like having the best of both worlds...a cruise and a stay on the island :flower1:

I'm hoping for a May 15th later Panama Canal sailing or something to Iceland since we missed Iceland on he EBTA this year. Seeing possible Norway ports scheduled gives me hope they're planning more N. Europe sailings for 2017!
Which Norway ports have you seen? Are dates listed as well?

I know I am in the minority here (as most want the Magic to go to Europe for the summer of 2017) but I would love it if she could travel to Bermuda from NYC. A 5 night or 7 night stay would be awesome. I have done a 5 night on RCCL. It was like having the best of both worlds...a cruise and a stay on the island :flower1:
I'm wth you on this. I'd love for her to stay in the states!

I am totally with you on this. I'd be over the moon if she sailed out of NYC during the summer (and not fall). Bermuda would be great, too!

Which Norway ports have you seen? Are dates listed as well?

Flossbolna provided this tidbit:

I poked around a bit and found two dates that are interesting:

The 2017 calendar for Geiranger has one date where the ship is "TBC", that is June 8, 2017: http://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls

The 2017 calendar for Bergen has a ship on June 9, 2017 that has the same specifications as the Magic: http://www.cruise-norway.no/Arrivals.aspx?ports=8&zone=8&start=09.06.17&end=09.06.17

All the previous 7-night Norway cruises had Geiranger followed by Bergen. So, I guess there might be one Norway cruise in June 2017.

I would love this too!!!

Sorry Bermuda is not going to happen on DCL. At least in the near future. This was said by a captain on DCL.

I love to anticipate the European itineraries every year. I want to do a European cruise so badly. We have booked them 3 years in a row and have had to cancel each one due to conflicts. I hope 2017 will be the year we can go!

There's no reason the Magic can't sail to Alaska - even without an enclosed viewing area like the Wonder has. However, with the last scheduled cruise on the Magic ending in San Juan on May 7, that's a week later than the Panama Canal cruise departure in May 2016. The Wonder's last scheduled cruise ends in Port Canaveral on April 23. DCL could add another cruise in the Caribbean region after that, but regardless - I think the Wonder will continue to do the Panama Canal and Alaska cruises in 2017.

Since Alaska has stricter pollution and emission rules, its possible that the Wonder had her machinery spaces updated to meet the new standards. If the Magic didn't get the same, she wouldn't be able to go up there unless they've done it during her last drydock.

There's no reason the Magic can't sail to Alaska - even without an enclosed viewing area like the Wonder has. However, with the last scheduled cruise on the Magic ending in San Juan on May 7, that's a week later than the Panama Canal cruise departure in May 2016. The Wonder's last scheduled cruise ends in Port Canaveral on April 23. DCL could add another cruise in the Caribbean region after that, but regardless - I think the Wonder will continue to do the Panama Canal and Alaska cruises in 2017.

Since Alaska has stricter pollution and emission rules, its possible that the Wonder had her machinery spaces updated to meet the new standards. If the Magic didn't get the same, she wouldn't be able to go up there unless they've done it during her last drydock.
Un
I brought the same theory about the Wonder going to Europe and Magic to Alaska and was told it won't happen. Was told the Wonder was cold weather treated so only she gets the Alaska route. I have no idea if this is true or not but am hoping the Magic cones to the west coast so we can try her.

The Magic is currently too big to go through the Panama Canal since the addition of the duck tail. Until the canal is finished only the Wonder can do the crossing.

The Magic is currently too big to go through the Panama Canal since the addition of the duck tail. Until the canal is finished only the Wonder can do the crossing.

Currently the estimated opening date is in May 2016. So summer 2017 it seems very possible that a larger ship can go through the canal.

Yep this! I either learned this from my server friend on the Wonder (she is still on the Wonder) or they mentioned this during our last Alaska sailing. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure they did something unique for the water system for Alaska and gosh I wish I could remember the other things they had to do or add to accommodate the environment there but yes indeed I do remember for sure extra and unique things were done for her to able to sail in Alaska that aren't done on the other ships. Not sure how how it would be to add these accommodations but it seems pretty clear it's the Wonder returning to Alaska in 2017, as far as we can see based on the Magic being in Europe.

Heather

Yep this! I either learned this from my server friend on the Wonder (she is still on the Wonder) or they mentioned this during our last Alaska sailing. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure they did something unique for the water system for Alaska and gosh I wish I could remember the other things they had to do or add to accommodate the environment there but yes indeed I do remember for sure extra and unique things were done for her to able to sail in Alaska that aren't done on the other ships. Not sure how how it would be to add these accommodations but it seems pretty clear it's the Wonder returning to Alaska in 2017, as far as we can see based on the Magic being in Europe.

Heather

I just remembered that I had read something about the environmental impacts of cruise ships and how they rank on the Disney Cruise Line blog and this is the latest article on this:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...most-environmentally-responsible-cruise-line/

It is a ranking that is published by an environmental organisation. The interesting information is that the Wonder gets the best marks in the fleet, so yes, they must have done something to her to make her more in compliance with Alaska.

So going by that article the magic cannot plug into shore power. The other 3 ships can

So going by that article the magic cannot plug into shore power. The other 3 ships can

At the time that the article was written. Most likely she can now since shes had a drydock inbetween.

Un

Technically, DCL can ask for a 1 off permission for the Magic to transit the locks. She can still fit but it takes a lot of effort to be able to get that permission and it has to be special circumstances. I think in the history of the locks, its only been granted once. Maybe twice

So it sounds like the Wonder will be back in Alaska and the Magic will be back in Europe. I'd love to hear some more Europe "spoilers" if anyone else finds anything. Right now it seems like there will be an early June Norway trip and then later in the month the Magic will be back in Amsterdam. Maybe there will be more British Isles sailings as it seems to have sold well this year. We are on the Med. sailing this summer with the cancelled Greece/ Turkey port stops. Does anyone think they will add them back in for next year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter