The Food Was Not Undelicious: May 25-June 1, 2007!! Completed - Post #794

I just registered solely for the purpose of posting to tell you just how much I enjoyed this food report! My darling husband and I are going to WDW to celebrate our 5th anniversary the last week of January 2008 - my first ever trip to any Disney property anywhere! I'm a total foodie, and I cannot express enough just how much this report excited me for the whole experience! And here I thought I was just going for the rides...

Thanks again for the information, the entertainment, the belly laughs and a bucket full of anticipation!

Wow! I'm flattered and flustered and I don't know what else to say except welcome to the DIS, thanks for reading, and don't forget your anniversary button!!! :goodvibes

At least disneyholic (and me) had to scroll back up to check out the dessert cleave (yea, I did it too!). That means we didn't catch it the first time which is a good thing, I guess :rotfl2:

Yes, I know.. my grammar stinks. I figure it's the yin (I prefer ying) yang thing. If you didn't have my bad you wouldn't appreciate your good so much.

Melissa

Hello there! I saw your post on the Argie Bargie but haven't had a chance to respond to everyone so I just didn't say anything. Nice, huh? ;)

First off, I am ever so pleased to know that Jay and I were able to help expand your liquor cabinet - be sure to let me know what you think of those drinks you end up trying.

Secondly, thanks so much for reading - glad to know you've enjoyed our trippies (or am I just deluding myself? maybe I need to start drinking more ...)

Third ... why can't I remember what movie your avatar is from??? It's driving me craaaaaaazy!!! :headache:

In conclusion, thanks for reading and posting and for absolutely diverting my brain from the loan request I should be working on right now instead of trying to figure out what move that flute is from.

When you tell me I'm going to have the biggest D'OH moment of the month, I just know it. :lmao:

I Got It!!!

TravelMel... your avatar is Freddie the Flute from HR Puffnstuff!!! :rotfl2:

And now I'm going to have drink myself into a stupor because I'm having flashbacks. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Monday, May 28th - Tonga Toast, Sausage, and Coffee...

In conclusion I'd just like to say that after ten years of pretty constant trips to WDW, it is our gluttonous opinion that the Kona Cafe still serves one of the best breakfasts on property. It's the one restaurant constant in all of our visits and I would recommend that you give it a try some day if you haven't already!

Thanks for reading - Flying Fish coming soon to a thread near you! :goodvibes

I'm always behind in posts... sorry for being off topic by now BUT I wanted to state, for no reason,that I WILL be having macadamia nut pineapple pancakes from Kona on my first trip to the world. Period. (Postive thinking)

And.... I hope we go, I hope we go, I hope we go, I hope we go (fingers crossed)

Also, I love your reviews and TR's. There's a woman on TGMike that has an incredible sense of humor and I think everyone should shell out the $20 for a month subscription just to read her stuff. I'm urging her to post here. Wish me luck!

I Got It!!!

TravelMel... your avatar is Freddie the Flute from HR Puffnstuff!!! :rotfl2:

And now I'm going to have drink myself into a stupor because I'm having flashbacks. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

My DH and I were Witchiepoo and Jimmy for Halloween one year.. it was brilliant! If I knew how to toss photos in some kind of bucket something I'd post!

Oh... P.S. I loved the drink BUT (and probably luckily) it was sweet and, like champagne, gave me a headache before I had a chance to finish it. Next time I'll premedicate. Not a problem. :)

Oh, and.....lol We bought the Puff n stuff DVD for our kids cause I want them to live the dream. Goodtimes. (once upon a summer time just a dream from yestday....................)

Hey Brenda,

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for such a great report. We're just back from 2 weeks at the world and we had 15 days of fantastic Disney dining. I toyed with the idea of my own dining report, but I think I'll just leave it to the professionals. :thumbsup2
I can't wait to read your next dining report. :surfweb: I hope you have a great time!!!

Hey Brenda,

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for such a great report. We're just back from 2 weeks at the world and we had 15 days of fantastic Disney dining. I toyed with the idea of my own dining report, but I think I'll just leave it to the professionals. :thumbsup2
I can't wait to read your next dining report. :surfweb: I hope you have a great time!!!

Thanks again for reading! I'm so happy to hear you had a good trip. :goodvibes

And I would read your dining report ... I really would, especially if it had pictures that made me want to lick my monitor. :lmao:

Did you try anything new on this trip? What did you like best?

And... because I know people like Plankton pictures, here's the first shot we took on our way to the airport in May:

I'm ready to go now...
DSC01947.jpg

Thanks again for reading! I'm so happy to hear you had a good trip. :goodvibes

And I would read your dining report ... I really would, especially if it had pictures that made me want to lick my monitor. :lmao:

Did you try anything new on this trip? What did you like best?

And... because I know people like Plankton pictures, here's the first shot we took on our way to the airport in May:

I'm ready to go now...
DSC01947.jpg
We tried several new restaurants this trip. Yacht club galley, Turf club, Alfredo's, BOMA, Narcoosees, WPC, Coral Reef, Concourse Steakhouse and the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Best food hands down was Raglan Road (Service was wretched :sad2: ). Sleeper hit was Turf Club. Food was fantastic, service top-notch!!!!

According to DH Alfredo's gets honorable mention. (Because he loved his Italian Hostess):love: :rolleyes: :lmao:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Love the Plankton pic.:love:

what a a lineup you have for your next trip!! I can't wait to hear about the Kimono's sushi/sake excursion...fun times!

Hi Lori! You and I are going to just miss each other, too. :sad1: Are you going to be attending any F&W events or are you just planning on chowing around the World Showcase?

Plankton is definitely looking forward to one final WDW visit this year and he's got a plan, let me tell you. :lmao: Well, I'll tell you and everyone else once we're home from the trip ... :rolleyes1

I can't wait to see your pictures of Pal Mickey enjoying WDW! :thumbsup2

No events for us.:sad2: Nothing seemed to work within our (way-too-short) time frame. So DH, Pal Mickey, and I will just be hitting as many F&W booths as we can!;)

Brenda

I hope when you come back you will put up a link up on this thread to your new one. I enjoy reading your posts a lot. I think you are a wonderful writer and of course the pictures of the food. Yummy. Hope to hear from you soon.

Laura:hippie:

Hi everyone!

In response to some of your recent requests, here is the link to the food review I've started for our October 2007 trip:

Hungry Are The Damned

I haven't done more than an introductory post yet, but I hope you all enjoy it when you have a chance to stop by.

Thanks again for reading - you make a cranky old crohn happy by doing so! :goodvibes

Saturday, May 26th - Duck a la' Bagel and Cheese Glorious Cheese!

So we made a stop at a local Publix on Friday morning and let me tell you... Stereotype Central and highly entertaining. I could write a trip report just about the grocery store, but I won't. ;)

We picked up some bottled water, Pelligrino, Cranberry juice, milk, mini-bagels, pre-packaged cantaloupe and honeydew melon, and a group of green bananas that refused to ripen no matter what we did with them during the week.

Put 'em in a paper bag for a day: still green.

Leave 'em on the sink while we're showering in the hope that the steam and warmth will do something: still green...and definitely damp.

Set 'em outside on the patio for a bit while we nap: still green; and now they're an exotic pleasure destination for adventurous love bugs.

Chuck 'em in the trash and vow never to buy bananas in Florida again: still eff-ing green. :rotfl2:

I'm not kidding...by Thursday these stupid bananas were still as hard and green as they were when we bought them a week earlier; I don't get it. What gives with the Incredible Hulk Bananas in Florida???

Ok, granted I'm a little behind, but I'm trying to catch up honest. Besides, I have valuable information to impart from a native Floridian to a Mid-Westerner.

1. We are very protective of our Publix(es?) (Publixi? anyway...). Now that I'm in Scotland I LONG for the days of massive, beautifully laid-out aisles and aisles of Publix-brand goodness at a significant discount to name-brands. (To this day the only cottage cheese I feel is worth eating is the Publix-brand. It has spoiled me for life. Swear.) The one you went to is the Xentury City Publix on the corner of 192 (what we locals call the West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway) and International Drive (I know that sounds weird because most people think of International Drive being way up by Universal, and it is, but it keeps going a long way and is even split at one point... this is confusing, but just trust me :) ). I agree, it's more than a little worse for wear and being that it's on 192 (where such fine resort establishments as the Viking Hotel, I kid you not, are located it's no wonder that you would have seen a *ahem* interesting assortment of folk). But, it's the closest one to the off-ramp your driver would have taken and so makes the most sense in that... sense. (Dang, I hate using the same word in a sentence twice. Negitive points for me.) Next time, if you're feeling like you need to get away from the riff-raff, ask to go to the Regency Village store (8145 Vineland Ave Orlando, FL 32821). It's very new and very pretty. And on some days they play 80's music. I don't know why this happened, but on my weekly shopping run it always made me happy. :woohoo:

Right, enough of that, on to:

2. Those green bananas probably weren't bananas but plantains. :banana: "Plantains are a member of the banana family. They are a starchy, low in sugar variety that is cooked before serving as it is unsuitable raw. It is used in many savory dishes somewhat like a potato would be used and is very popular in Western Africa and the Caribbean countries. It is usually fried or baked. Many people confuse plantains with bananas, some of the differences are noted above. Although they look a lot like green bananas and are a close relative, plantains are very different. They are starchy, not sweet, and they are used as a vegetable in many recipes, especially in Latin America and Africa. Plantains are sold in the fresh produce section of the supermarket, they usually resemble green bananas; ripe plantains may be black in color." We Floridians love our Latino-Caribbean food and so plantains are a mainstay in most good grocery stores, but if you'd never seen them you'd never know the difference. Now, if you'd had a deep frier you could have made yourself some fried plantains :love: but as it was, you were better off throwing them out.

... I really hope this was helpful and not snarky or know-it-all-ish. Truth be told, I'm just super homesick at the moment so being able to go all uber-Florida nerd felt pretty good. So if you found this at all insulting or annoying I do apologize. I'm just missing home. :flower3: I will now return to the rest of your, no doubt, highly amusing report. And thank you again for sharing. :goodvibes

I want to tell you that I so enjoyed the stroll through the food of WDW.

I will never get to do these foods because I have a "meat and potatoes" dh. No sauces, cheeses (except on a ham & cheese sub) and no veggies, specially steamed. He will eat prime rib so I guess that is his high priced meal. I will at least try something new, not him. :confused3

We are going WDW for our 30th anniversary and I was hoping to try a couple of the places you went to but I sure would hate to see a chef cry when dh got through trying to order. We don't drink so that would hurt their feelings too because we are heathens and don't drink wine with our meals.:lmao:

I guess I will just have to take him to Liberty Tree Tavern again in the MK, that's his kind of meal.

He's a sweetie :hug: but he sure is pickey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter