• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The EPIC AKV Photo Report!

Oh, I can hardly wait!!! We visit AKL every trip, but have only stayed there once. Your experience lets me know why I wanted points there!

Wow! Great review. You touched on all the points why I LOVE AKL and why we bought into AKV: the animals, the restaurants, the kids activities (my DD loved them when she was only 5 years old) and best of all the CMs. I feel so *relaxed* at AKL I don't even care if I make it to the parks or not.

We're booked in a concierge studio for late December and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a savannah view ... I can't wait!

Thank you so much for posting everything! We are going in February, and I'm always a little nervous that my husband isn't going to want to do something Disney, but I showed him the pics and he said it looked fabulous.

Slight disclaimer---neither one of us is a "Disney Person" and in fact, it was only through a strange set of events that we ended up going to WDW in 2006, but we had such a great time! I think we were both kind of startled by how much fun we had. But I went for a whole week, and he only made it there for a few days, so I sometimes feel I still need to convince him that we should go back.

I think I'm still not a Disney person, but I fear I may very well be a DisneyWORLD person. Uh-oh...

Thanks Starbox for the great photos and trip report! I knew I could count on you:goodvibes . I am even more excited about my trip in September (if that's possible)! I know my sister and I will have a great time.

Did you take any construction photos?

I did! Here they are & here's the construction update I wote:

Our Animal Keeper friend (from the trip report) told us that the Kidani lobby is planned to go where the current animal barn is going, and that they are almost finished building a new barn for them - which they'll be moving into in a few weeks. Actual Kidani building construction will start when the animals are moved. She was very positive about DVC and the construction - we got no armageddom reports of freaked out animals.

From the construction noise, it sounded like all construction was taking place at the Kidani site - we only heard it in the distance when our balcony doors were open. I am guessing that the Jambo lodge work is mostly cosmetic at this point because we did not hear or see anything major going on.

We did drive by the construction site and it is huge. I can't imagine the sunset savanna rooms being usable anytime between now and Kidani's contruction because they are facing such a major work site. (unless, of course, the site visible in the photos is going to be a barn and Kidani's main construction won't be as visible when it starts) We saw plenty of giraffes calmly feeding close to the active construction fence; it does not seem to be upsetting them at all.

22335544.0c0c92.jpg

22335578.03b0f2.jpg

Wow! You should sell DVC. You almost have me convinced to buy into AKV. Great pictures!

Thanks for the photos! Our stay isn't until Jan 1 to 4th in a 2br SV, and I am getting stoked now!:cheer2:

It was great that you took time both for the photos and the report for all of us AKV info hungry folk.

I had to find and read this thread again because we leave for WDW in 1 week!! (the last 1/2 of the trip will be spent at AKV) The anticipation is almost too much to take!! We might have to add on a little more while we're there!:)

We did an add on at AKV and fell in love with the rooms just by looking at the models. After seeing your pictures and reading your review, I really think we are going to love AKV! Thank you so much for a great review and fantastic pictures! I was excited to stay there in Nov, but now I can hardly wait!! You made me even more excited and happy that we did an add on there!

Thanks so much for the exciting trip report! This has always been our favorite resort! I just can't wait to stay in a DVC room this May! :thumbsup2

Question about the daily activities?

Are they just for the kids , or adults too?
THanks, Great pics and review

I cannot wait! This was the one I had to buy. I have always loved the resort.

Great report! Makes me so happy to call AKV home!

Nice trip report. Although I havent been attracted to AKL, we may have to make an effort to visit when we are there in Oct. :goodvibes

Question about the daily activities?

Are they just for the kids , or adults too?
THanks, Great pics and review

Some of the activities are more geared for adults - like the food tasting and art/cultural presentations. I asked my kids if adults were allowed to do the bead activities and they said they thought so - I hope so, because I want to do them next time!

At first, I could not figure out why Uzima is off-limits to pool-hoppers - then, night came and I realized the pool (and pool bar) is open and fully staffed by five lifeguards until 10pm!!!!!!!!!! I am guessing that they do this since AK closes early. Anyway, I have kids that are huge fans of night swimming - so we were very happy. I was also worried about being bored at night at AKV since it is removed and AK closes early - we like to stay up until about midnight and "do stuff" and I liked BWV and SSR because they have easy access to nightlife. I was very pleasantly surprised by how active and alive AKV stays at night. The resort does not quiet down at all until 11-12am and there is a ton to do and see at night.

Do the pools at the other DVC resorts close earlier than 10pm or is it the fact that the pool bar is open as well?

Do the pools at the other DVC resorts close earlier than 10pm or is it the fact that the pool bar is open as well?

Most of the pools stay "open", but without lifeguards (and thus slides) /poolbar - it seems like they lose their lifeguards and slides pretty early. I think SAB completely closes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter