The Battle For My Wallet IV: Return of the ZZUBs (Addendum, p.85; 07/12)

And again I say, excellent! I'm glad you finally "got" Epicot. Does this mean a stay at the Beach Club is in the works?

I was right there with you in the fire house. I was even reading competively fast. Funny stuff.

Uhh...I think you meant, can't have the cream without the cookies. We all know the cream is the bwest pwart.

Not unlike Sour Patch Kids. It's your blend of humor, sentimentality, and just plain great writing that makes this such a fabulous report. And I'm really sad that it's almost over.
No lie, I was jumping up and down and led my “team” in a taunting chant of “Findmore’s Rule! Searchwell’s drool!”
:rolleyes1 Why do I think you're not kidding here?
Too much? It’s hard to know where the line is anymore.
Too true. Look behind you.
But let this be a lesson to you: your Key to the World won’t unlock the entire World. Better carry some cash.
Gelato cart....same thing. Cash only...and me with only a 5-spot and a Disney Visa. And funnel cake is a delicous treat. Unless you're wearing a black t-shirt at a very windy baseball game. Just take my word for it.
It moved slower than the blood through Barbara Bush’s varicose veins.
MouseGear is huge and impressive. Like Aretha Franklin.
Thank goodness for the Oreo. That whole cookies and creme similie could've gone very wrong.

OK...no hurry. We'll wait. popcorn::

This year, with our upended plans, and thrown out itinerary, we got to enjoy Disney World at a somewhat relaxed pace. We had two full days in EPCOT. And we became enamored of it.

We got it.

See, I told y'all. What is my prize for guessing right?

Because it did. I almost lost my wife and daughter when I took the turn onto the Land’s sidewalk too quickly but my massive upper body strength kept the chair upright.

Finally, something nice you've said about yourself. Even though it is probably a little beefed up. But still, it is nice to hear something about you other than you farting, pooping, sweating and stinking.

I asked for my first refill of tea and more lemon.
That a boy. It is the perfect drink. No straws.

I don’t want Garden Grill to become like Chef Mickey’s and impossible to get into. But we really enjoyed our meal. And dessert. At the same time, the character interaction was the best we’d had anywhere.
You know after you mentioned that when you got back, I made a reservation there. Unfortunately we had to bail on it. After reading what you and LaLa had to say about it, I wish we could have made it.

The Segway was a blast. Ba-Last!
We did the same deal you did and Mr Frick and I both loved it. I don't see the tour in our near future (unless if we could put the kids on a leash and drag them behind us) but someday, we're going to do it.

b3182f90.jpg

:goodvibes Thank you for posting a picture of that lovely place!

For some reason, when I was grabbing my stuff that morning, I only took a five spot. I had my Key to the World (but Not a Funnel Cake), my Disney Visa (for my free picture) and $5.
Dude I know your fanny pack can hold more than that!

As silly as this sounds, seeing the American Adventure, finally crossing that off my list, felt good. I had a bit of a spring in my step.
I'm putting it on my list right now. I think the last time I saw it I was 12.

Our Christmas tree is something of a scrapbook. Each ornament is from a time or place that is special to one or all of us.
Soooooo borg. My parents bought Disney ornaments from the Christmas Shop (which I think is closed now) on Main Street. When my parents divorced, I took them all with me. Your daughter will treasure those ornaments like crazy when she has a tree of her own someday. I know I do.

I ate popcorn for a solid 12 hours, yes I did the math right, waiting on an update yesterday. popcorn:: It was worth the wait. :)

Having additional snack credits burning a hole in my pocket and being me, I was craving a funnel cake. I love those things. One time in Chicago, I walked to the end of the Navy Pier for a funnel cake. That right there is true love. I knew there was a funnel cake kiosk right near the American pavilion. When we got to that area, I sought it out. I spotted it in the distance and I was so giddy with anticipation I was lactating. Too much? It’s hard to know where the line is anymore.

:moped:

lactating? LOL. How come no else causght this. Guess that massive upper body strength includes a massive set of man ****s?

Have really enjoyed this trip report. Sad it's winding down. I noww need to go and read the others

You really should write your memoirs! I'd be first in line at the book signing!! I often wonder about the people you do lawyering for...do they KNOW that they are being represented by THE Zzub of Disboard fame?! That is pretty stinkin cool!:cool2:

I'm quite excited to hear about your meal at Whispering Canyon. Or maybe a bit apprehensive...I recently met a former waitress from WCC...she said that it was their nightly mission to get someone to cry...especially kids...she seemed bit hostile...I think it was the dining plan that made them so mad! ;) :lmao:

I've thoroughly enjoyed your trip report...I'm so looking forward to the next Zzub family trip!!! Soon is it...yes? Maybe? ;)

fantastic installment!!!

BORG on the ornaments - back in 1972 My parents bought me a Dumbo ornament during my first trip.....I then bought one for DS during his first trip in 2003.....Dumbo changed a lot in 30 years but they're both super cute hanging on our tree together. Of course DS has collected about 20 other disney ornaments during our trips since then. :santa:

I almost lost my wife and daughter when I took the turn onto the Land’s sidewalk too quickly but my massive upper body strength kept the chair upright. Barely.

Nothing I like better than a little self-promotion, or is it self-delusion?? I can never remember

In between, the food came and it was pretty fantastic. I hate to write that because I don’t want Garden Grill to become like Chef Mickey’s and impossible to get into. But we really enjoyed our meal. And dessert.

Totally Borg on this! One of the better meals we've had at Disney.

The Segway was a blast. Ba-Last! I don’t know if they’re still doing the free rides. If they’re not, pay whatever they’re charging to take a tour. If only Maelstrom was that much fun. I'd wait in line for it.

Haven't you heard...Maelstrom's a fast pass! You don't have to wait in line. Gosh, I would have thought you knew that by now.

But when the winning team was announced it was the Findmores! That’s right, baby. We won! No lie, I was jumping up and down and led my “team” in a taunting chant of “Findmore’s Rule! Searchwell’s drool!”

Yeah. I’m a lousy winner.

A shining moment it was not. But I won.

Do you do this in court too? I can only imagine what the judge must think. If we hear you've been disbarred, we'll know why.

I spotted it in the distance and I was so giddy with anticipation I was lactating.

OK, too much bodily function information for me. Time to adopt the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. Capish?

Or maybe it was the feeling of so much weight being let off our shoulders.

With all of the snack credits you used, I think it's more a matter of the weight having been relocated to another part of your body.

Another thoroughly enjoyable chapter, well except for the lactating part. Thanks for sharing. I'm sad to hear that the ZZUB adventure is about to end. Well at least Mel still has a ways to go.:moped:

ZZUB said:
I’m all about our country. I love it. The good and the bad parts of it. I love that men and women of faith and purpose sacrificed everything to travel the ocean to seek a new life here. I love Plymouth Rock and Jamestown. I love that the colonists had enough of King George’s madness and threw off the yoke of British rule and declared their independence. I love Lexington and Concord. Paul Revere. George Washington. Ben Franklin. Thomas J. I love the Constitution and the rights it articulates. I love Abe Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. FDR and JFK. I love President Reagan. I love that we beat the Russians to the moon. I love NASA and football and driving my car. I love rock and roll and country music. I love McDonalds and Arbys and Burger King and KFC. I love that we’re too fat and listen to our music too loud. I love that we march and celebrate our country. I even love those people who seemingly have nothing better to do but take to the streets and burn the flag of the very country that allows them the freedom to vilify it. If dissent is patriotic, then assent is as well.

Great paragraph. And I agree with all of it. Well, almost all of it. I really don't like McDonalds. At all.

And felt sweat pour down my side.

I did some hot weather Disney training in the Walmart parking lot earlier today. I broke out in a sweat about halfway down the row. My huge tactical error was the black t-shirt. There will be no black t's on the next NM trip.

The Beach Club is really pretty. I've never actually stayed there, but I'd like to. Great pic.

By the way, you can order sweet tea at the Garden Grill.

This is very happy news for me. I was trying to decide between GG and Coral Reef. This does it. Sweet Tea is a definite tie breaker.

But when the winning team was announced it was the Findmores! That’s right, baby. We won! No lie, I was jumping up and down and led my “team” in a taunting chant of “Findmore’s Rule! Searchwell’s drool!”

You moron. Here's another reason we only need to know you as ZZUB.

A shinning moment it was not.

Enough with the consonants!!

Too much?

Absolutely.

Where are all the people? Seriously? That place looks like a ghost town.

IMG_0769.jpg

That's Thanksgiving weekend. For comparison.

As we moved through Future World, I suggested we stop in MouseGear.

There's no doubt who's losing the Battle for His Wallet. It's all over if you're headed into Mouse Gear.

ZZUB, add me to the list of those folks sad to see your TR come to an end. Hopefully, you'll be back soon and will have another tale to tell.

I'll look forward to it.

NM

Z~

Glad you finally came to your senses as far as EPICOT goes....it is one of the best parks in all of the World you know....now

Your TR is great Z. Thanks for giving us a little trip of our own through you

That was such a great chapter. It had me laughing at parts, and tears in my eyes at parts. And the last sentence, that just put me over the edge. We haven't even left for our trip yet, and I'm already dreading the last evening. I really hope that you and your family will be able to get back to The World very soon.

Denise

Well, I found this trip report yesterday and decided I would sample it, seeing that your name is famous among other TR's. Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down, and finally finished it just now (was almost late to pick up my daughter at VBS tonight b/c I wanted to read just one more chapter... I know, bad mom). I cannot wait to go back and read your older reports. I have laughed, cried, sympathized and cheered and it is the best thing I have read all summer! Even if you are a Republican...and a lawyer...and a Bama fan. GO VOLS!!:cool1:

Can't wait to see if there will be another installment!

I loved this installment. We have never checked out American Adventure... may have to plan to do that next time. Each year we choose 1 or 2 pavilions to watch their dated shows.....

I am sad... don't want your Trippie to be over... you are such an awesome writer

Well, I found this trip report yesterday and decided I would sample it, seeing that your name is famous among other TR's. Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down, and finally finished it just now (was almost late to pick up my daughter at VBS tonight b/c I wanted to read just one more chapter... I know, bad mom). I cannot wait to go back and read your older reports. I have laughed, cried, sympathized and cheered and it is the best thing I have read all summer! Even if you are a Republican...and a lawyer...and a Bama fan. GO VOLS!!:cool1:

Can't wait to see if there will be another installment!

First thing's first - yeah, go Vols!!

Secondly, I just want to say once again how much I have enjoyed reading your trip report. I was thinking this morning just how much your writing style reminds me of Max Lucado (especially in He Chose the Nails). If you are familiar with the book, you should recognize this as a huge compliment. If you haven't read it, do it. It's fabulous.

I've laughed, cried, quoted...really felt like I was there with you (a little too much with the bathroom and lactating thing). Thanks.

We went first into DCA and rode Soarin’ again. I can’t say enough about how great this ride is. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It’s generally my experience that whenever something is hailed as “so great” it is usually “so suck.” For instance, Cats.

Okay, so I was reading LaLa's trip reports and cracking up at your responses, so I went back to read all of your trip reports. In trip report #2, I come across this...

We went first into DCA and rode Soarin’ again. I can’t say enough about how great this ride is. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It’s generally my experience that whenever something is hailed as “so great” it is usually “so suck.” For instance, Cats.

This could NOT be funnier. Seriously, peeing my pants. I can't wait until I've caught up on all of your trip reports and I hope they are as funny as this.

Your trip reports make me smile. And get teary-eyed. And, yes, sometimes throw up in my mouth a little. It's all fun!

American Adventure has been highly recommended by several people, so I'm sure my family will go when we visit WDW in a couple months (who am I kidding? It's 62 days on my countdown calendar). I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that, from your description, it sounds like AA hasn't been updated in 5+ years. Puh-leez. I say that now, but I'm going to be a google-eyed, socks-with-crocs-wearing, refillable (for life!) mug-toting, overpacking and overspending Disney lover when I actually arrive. The outdated film in American Adventure will be the last thing on my mind, I'm sure.

Zzub, I got tagged from posting on your trip report!!! The Cheez-it one, not the wine one!:rotfl2: Thanks for making me sound inspired to the Tag Fairy!

Where are you? We want another chapter...(pout)

Chapter Twenty Seven: Lost Disney

In many ways, this trip was a successful failure.

Very little of what I planned actually went down the way I scripted it out from the confines of my poorly ventilated office so many months ago. So many of the scenes I imagined just never materialized.

And yet, there were many other things that happened which I didn’t anticipate. Some bad. Some good. Who knew we’d spend a long dark night in the emergency room? Who knew my daughter would love Soren Lorenson as much as her dad?

You know Who. Knew.

One of my favorite movies is Apollo 13. When it came out in the theaters I saw it multiple times. And when it was released on VHS, I bought the tape and watched it over and over and over again. It spoke to some part of me. The part that dreams of doing something big and significant. I also like Rudy, Miracle and Remember the Titansfor similar reasons.

Great victories and big dreams require big sacrifices and great losses.

Jim Lovell’s dream was to walk on the moon. Before April 11, 1970, he’d spent the better part of his adult life training for the moment when he would walk on the moon’s surface. There’s a gripping moment in the film, shortly after the oxygen tank explosion, when Lovell realizes that NASA’s order to shut down the valves to the fuel cells effectively means they’re not landing on the moon after all.

“We just lost the moon,” he says.

It’s such an oddly flat statement that masks the gut wrenching disappointment of a man whose life built to one moment. Now that moment would never be realized.

Lost Moon was the original title of Lovell’s book. It wasn’t until after the success of the movie that the book was renamed. I mention it only because it occurs to me that that moment was obviously significant to Jim Lovell. He’d lost the opportunity to do the very thing his life had been built for. Or so he thought anyway.

There’s a companion moment later in the film when the three astronauts are whipping around the back side of the moon and Lovell dreams about what it would have felt like to step foot on the moon’s surface. And then he thinks about his wife and how much he wants to get home to her.

And so his dream changed. His goal now: return to his family.

In that moment he remembered that being with his wife and kids, being home, was more important than his life’s goal of walking on the moon.

Maybe you see where I’m going with this. After we lost Samuel in mid-March, my thoughts were focused, overly focused in fact, on getting my family on the perfect vacation in Disney World. Looking back, it occurs to me that I was so fixated on this idea that I had deluded myself into believing that there actually was such a thing as the perfect vacation. And that if we could just get past the arch and into our room at the Wilderness Lodge, then all things would be better.

Writing that out just now, I am mugged by how facile and immature that thought was.

I didn’t realize how much confidence I had placed in Walt Disney World. Turns out a vacation to Disney World can’t bring back your son. And it can’t heal deep wounds. And it really can’t do any of the other things I was unwittingly expecting it to deliver.

It’s a place to enjoy your family. To ride some great rides. To see some great shows. To eat some fun foods. To rush hither and yon. To take an unplanned nap. To revisit your childhood memories and to make new ones with your children.

It is nothing more.

I didn’t realize how much I invested in this vacation until after we’d spent a night in the emergency room. Until after we’d been at Disney World for a few days. I reckon people think our grief is silly. Overwrought. Especially now that our baby girl has been born and she’s healthy.

But our baby girl does not replace Samuel.

We’re so very grateful to God that He blessed us with our sweet baby girl. She's beautiful and wonderful and healthy in every way. But we haven’t forgotten the little boy we said goodbye to before we even said hello.

This Trip Report, this journal of a long week’s vacation in Disney World, is my memorial for him. No he's not looking at it. But I am. It's my way of saying nobody replaces Samuel. It’s my way of saying goodbye to my boy. His life was not insignificant just because he wasn't born. I don't know, maybe it creeps people out or even brings them down. But frankly, I don't care. I know that's selfish, but right now for this time in my life, I don't care what people think.

I miss him. And that's strange to miss a child you never knew, but we do. We both feel a genuine sense of loss and grief. There was a moment one day walking down Mainstreet when I thought about who wasn't there with us, who would never be there with us. There was another moment Christmas morning, as we sat on the floor opening the bounty of presents under the tree. I looked up at the lights and thought about my son who would have been celebrating his first Christmas. If only. I choked on the tears I felt stupid for shedding. I didn't think I had any business being sad. Not with all we'd been blessed with. Not with the healthy baby then growing inside my wife.

We never really got to mourn Samuel. When he died, we were forced to respond to the shock of the loss. But at the time it was all about making immediate decisions. And then it was over. And we were back to the daily grind of a life filled with work and chores, activity and dates. Dinner. The checkbook. The yard. The car. Trivial things needing attention.

I think people expect that since we're Christians and we allege we'll see Samuel in Heaven that we have no business being sad. And while it's true we expect to see him when we finally get home, that doesn't replace the sadness we feel for not having his companionship during our years on this earth. I don't know why Christians think we're not supposed to be sad when someone dies. Of course we are. Yes, we have hope because we know we'll see our departed loved ones again, but it will be many years before we're reunited. We are wise to remember how Jesus responded when Lazarus died. He wept. And He knew He'd see Lazarus again.

I was reminded of that truth this year. More than once. Anyway, wriiting this Trip Report has allowed me to mourn. To say goodbye. And also to remember from Whom my healing comes.

That a week in Disney World wasn't panacea became obvious to me when we were leaving our room at the Lodge. For the first time in my life, I wasn’t sad to be leaving Disney World. I was relieved. I was ready to go home.

Not that I was ready to leave Disney World necessarily, but I understood then that although our son wouldn’t be born and our trip to Disney World wasn’t perfect, our lives were about bigger and more important things. I’d hadn’t lost the moon after all. My wife was healthy, my daughter was healthy, I was healthy and we had a healthy baby on the way. In all of the despair, God had not left us or forsaken us. His word was true. His rod and staff comforted us. We’d go on.

That’s not to say we’re done with Disney World. May it never be! But I no longer think about our vacation as a healing balm. It isn’t. It can’t be. It’s a respite. A break. A time together. It is both fun and maddening. Restful and demanding. It’s just like the other 50 weeks of the year. But with Tonga Toast, Food courts, parades and fireworks. And yes, even humidity. Writing about our trip, I’ve been able to relive the experience but with the perspective distance gives you. I’m able to realize and appreciate the fullness of the experience. Not just the sugar coated vignettes we remember as we regale our co-workers or neighbors. The reason I love Disney World so much is because it feels like home to me, or hadn’t I told you that already? And I like being home with my wife and daughter. Daughters. Both here in our actual home and there in Disney World, my childhood home. I enjoy time with my girls. I think I was prepared for fatherhood to be a rewarding experience. I had no idea how much fun it would be. Our oldest daughter is quite witty. She’s also very sweet. She has a good bit of her Mamma in her. We’re just now starting to get a sense of the baby’s personality. She has the most infectious smile. And eyes so big and expressive you want to turn off the world and just stare into them. It’s a joy getting to know your children.

So as I finish this chapter in my life and I stare into the next one, I understand now that in our lives, we won’t achieve perfection. It’s funny that it took me 39 years to own that. It occurs to me that until now I actually believed that if I worked hard enough, if I thought about it long enough, if I planned it out correctly, the road would even out for us. Bad things wouldn’t happen.

But bad things will happen.

Both here and on vacation.

It’s a certainty.

And knowing that, knowing it can’t be avoided, actually makes it easier.

I understand now that vacation is not an escape from reality. It’s an extension of it. We didn’t leave our problems home when we boarded that flight for Orlando. They were with us. And they were with us in the Wilderness Lodge, at Chef Mickey’s, on the PeopleMover, on Space Mountain and even on Soren Lorenson.

I’m not saying we walked around feeling sad and worried. We didn’t. Sure there were times when we were acutely aware of what had happened and what might be happening again. But it wasn’t like we were carrying that around in our backpack next to the Pop Tarts and Advil.

So if Disney World is no longer an escape for us, what is it?

It’s the place we love to go. The place where we relax and rest, and yes, even race to the next thing. My best childhood memories are there. Some of my best memories of my wife are there. And I reckon my daughters’ best childhood memories will be there, too. If perfection can’t be achieved here on Earth, we come the closest to it at Disney World.

Because they have Tonga Toast.

I don’t know what God has in store for me and my family in this next year. But whatever joys we’re allowed to experience and whatever sorrows we have to grow through, we know this: God will be with us. We’ll go on. And we know this, too: He has instilled in us a love for each other and a love for the times we spend together in Disney World. This wasn’t our last trip after all. I’m no longer a 12 year old boy whose world just got torn asunder. I don’t have to stare at dusty images in a book and long for a time that got ripped away from me too soon. I have the assurance and hope for my tomorrow. We’ll go on.

And we’ll go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter