"The American Adventure" @Epcot - Disney getting rid of CM's historic costumes

JetsetJAK

Mouseketeer
Saw this over at Epcyclopedia, didn't see it mentioned here yet:

"Epcot's American Adventure to Abandon Historic Costumes Despite Case Protest"

Apparently Disney is getting rid of the historic costumes that the CM's wear at "The American Adventure" and replacing them with something more modern (the CM who wrote the letter in that story says the new uniforms look like they were "discarded from the failed Disney/ABC-TV series “Pan Am”"). Sounds like the CM's who work there aren't exactly thrilled about it.

I don't recall ever really spending too much time around "The American Adventure" except for eating at the Liberty Inn, but it doesn't seem like a "Pan-Am"-ish uniform would really fit with the current theming they have going on at that pavilion. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Saw this over at Epcyclopedia, didn't see it mentioned here yet:

"Epcot's American Adventure to Abandon Historic Costumes Despite Case Protest"

Apparently Disney is getting rid of the historic costumes that the CM's wear at "The American Adventure" and replacing them with something more modern (the CM who wrote the letter in that story says the new uniforms look like they were "discarded from the failed Disney/ABC-TV series “Pan Am”"). Sounds like the CM's who work there aren't exactly thrilled about it.

I don't recall ever really spending too much time around "The American Adventure" except for eating at the Liberty Inn, but it doesn't seem like a "Pan-Am"-ish uniform would really fit with the current theming they have going on at that pavilion. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Not doubting anyone but this just seems odd and out of place. :confused3

I think it would be awesome if they dressed like the pilots and stewardesses on Pan-Am.

I see no reason to update their outfits. We're they too hot for the people who had to wear them outside or at the food counters?

I see no reason to update their outfits. We're they too hot for the people who had to wear them outside or at the food counters?

If that's the reason, I'm all for it.

Otherwise, it seems dumb.

seems like it's the characters that work outside or in the service area. perhaps it is money saving but it won't be that horrible. It is supposed to be America. The service members in the other countries don't dress in historic costume. I'd have to see the new costume to really judge though. I don't think they'd changed the singers or those that work inside the attraction.

seems like it's the characters that work outside or in the service area. perhaps it is money saving but it won't be that horrible. It is supposed to be America. The service members in the other countries don't dress in historic costume. I'd have to see the new costume to really judge though. I don't think they'd changed the singers or those that work inside the attraction.

The big difference is the theming of the other pavilions. America is pretty much the only pavilion themed for a specific time period. The Other pavilions are much more General "This is our country", with architectural highlights of each country, complete with some landmarks.

the American Adventure Pavilion is the only one themed like a specific time period of the country being displayed, and therefor it would be much more anachronistic to see a more modern costume design.

It is supposed to be America.

It's too bad that the products in the gift shop are not made in USA. If you go to the Italy pavilion there are products made in Italy. You'd be hard pressed, if at all able, to find and products made in USA at the American pavilion. Last time we were there, about a month ago, they had American flags outside, made in China. It's not like there are not products made in the USA in the parks. They sell the Harvey's Seatbelt Bags in the parks, but not there. I understand that Disney is just trying to maximize profits by selling foreign products, just seems that some American products would be nice. Then again I suppose it is America, given that so many products we have are not made here, which is whole different discussion.

Saw this over at Epcyclopedia, didn't see it mentioned here yet

Hey all. My site was actually the site that Epcyclopedia borrowed the article from (link to the original article). I had a chance to interview Lonnie a couple of months ago, and we've kept in contact since. He mailed that letter to a bunch of people (including the current VP of Epcot) because he and his fellow CMs aren't exactly thrilled about the change. One of the things that annoyed them the most was that no one seems to have been consulted, including management. So I'm not sure they were even told why the change is taking place.

the American Adventure Pavilion is the only one themed like a specific time period of the country being displayed, and therefor it would be much more anachronistic to see a more modern costume design.

This is what many people are displeased about. We all know change is inevitable in Disney, Walt himself was behind that. But this particular change seems (for now anyway, I have yet to see the costumes) like it would conflict with the theming of a Colonial Mansion. I stated in my write-up that I would wait to reserve judgement until I see the new costumes for myself, but so far it doesn't sound good. Also, Lonnie saw them, and he is a very well-respected CM. So if he hates them, that's not a good sign. = /

I was annoyed when the CM that announced our show a few weeks ago said and I quote "Welcome to The American Adventure enjoy your nap." Funny but annoying.

:lmao::rotfl2::lmao: That's funny right there...I don't care who you are. :thumbsup2

Well, actually, I would not find it funny at all. We think it is a very good presentation of our country's beginning and growth. I don't see too many people "leaving". Which other country would you rather live in? I appreciate our country - yes, with it's many faults. I would have reported that remark had I been in the audience. It's a place to reflect and be thankful, not to try to be funny :confused3

Well, actually, I would not find it funny at all. We think it is a very good presentation of our country's beginning and growth. I don't see too many people "leaving". Which other country would you rather live in? I appreciate our country - yes, with it's many faults. I would have reported that remark had I been in the audience. It's a place to reflect and be thankful, not to try to be funny :confused3

I agree. That is really rude and disrespectful, especially coming from a castmember. I would have booed!

Chas

Think about it: Do other countries wear historic outfits? Why does the American Pavilion have to be stuck in 1776?

Think about the cost that must be involved in making those period costumes for the ladies. They must be tailored to each person as well.
Why don't they just wear a red, white and blue polo shirt and a pair of navy shorts? I think that this option is much more affordable (however this Disney, and we are paying $$$$ to get in the gates!) and probably much more comfortable.
I am sure I'd rather wear casual wear if it were me, but I liked the old costumes.

Think about it: Do other countries wear historic outfits? Why does the American Pavilion have to be stuck in 1776?

Because it is the only pavilion in the entire World Showcase that is themed to a specific time period. The other pavilions are designed around famous landmarks or areas in the country currently. The American Pavilion is designed and built to represent a specific time period in our past.

Because of the architecture of the area, there is no way you can just throw in a couple props and dress it up to a more modern time period.

Even if they completely razed the existing American pavilion in order to design something more contemporary and represent the country similar to the other countries, Because of the massive size of the US and the many different styles of each region of the country, I don't believe they could cohesively catch the spirit of this country in the space they would have available. Remember, Most of the European countries represented are no larger than some of the states within this country. The only 2 countries in the World Showcase who even come close to our geographical size are Canada and China, yet both can and are represented very well by their pavilions due to landmarks+geographical features and cohesive culture/architecture. The USA does not have either that people around the world would associate with the country as a whole (well... beyond what you can already see/find in every other part of WDW).

I, for one, like them being different. It really goes with the theme. Why does it bother you so? :confused3 To me, it's in keeping with the solemnity of the film that is shown there. It sets America apart as the "host" country, and I hope they stay that way IMO :) Our country has a rich heritage that we can all be partakers, of our forefathers hard work and sacrifice.

Because it is the only pavilion in the entire World Showcase that is themed to a specific time period. The other pavilions are designed around famous landmarks or areas in the country currently. The American Pavilion is designed and built to represent a specific time period in our past.

Because of the architecture of the area, there is no way you can just throw in a couple props and dress it up to a more modern time period.

Even if they completely razed the existing American pavilion in order to design something more contemporary and represent the country similar to the other countries, Because of the massive size of the US and the many different styles of each region of the country, I don't believe they could cohesively catch the spirit of this country in the space they would have available. Remember, Most of the European countries represented are no larger than some of the states within this country. The only 2 countries in the World Showcase who even come close to our geographical size are Canada and China, yet both can and are represented very well by their pavilions due to landmarks+geographical features and cohesive culture/architecture. The USA does not have either that people around the world would associate with the country as a whole (well... beyond what you can already see/find in every other part of WDW).

I'm sorry, but most of the Canadians I talk to cannot believe what Epcot chose to represent our country. The movie is good, but the Château Laurier? C'mon. And Inuksuk would be more accurate than totem poles.

And here's something else that may help put it in perspective.

Based off the pavilions theme and putting the cast members in 1960's-esque costumes....

Would you feel it would be appropriate to put castmembers in Frontierland in 1900's-esque costumes?

How would the frontierland costume change be any different thematically than changing the costumes in a colonial era themed area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter