The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see a GF thread back!

jkstewart1800- We rented a cabana before the price increase (back when it was $60 for the half day) I am not sure I would do it again at the new price. It is nice to have the shady spot to sit, but I never find the GF pools that crowded anyway.

A few pics I have from our last trip:
private dining's chocolate mickey
IMG_0518.jpg

turn down
IMG_0589.jpg

SL lounge:
IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

The Valet~ don't ask my DD wanted a pic with him:confused3
IMG_0615.jpg

outdoor eating area of gasperillas:
IMG_0678.jpg

Watch out for the birds if you eat out here! They are horrible thieves!

slide pool
IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Hi Julia.
I've rented cabanas twice and they are nice. I have lots of pics but they have been upgraded since my last trip in August so I hesitate to post them... hopefully the new ones are much nicer. The price has gone way up - so I'm hoping the quality has as well. They were always perfectly nice but not what I would expect for the GF...
In any case, the cabanas offer shade, guaranteed lounge chairs and a table and chairs, television w/ DVD player and a list of movies you can borrow...We had satellite radio... as well as an attendant to assist you with anything you may need. The old cabanas did allow for privacy. I've seen people napping in their cabanas :laughing: I think renting a cabana is a nice thing to do and it looks as though Disney is taking their cabanas to the next level :thumbsup2 Hopefully someone will post pics of the new GF cabanas soon.

Glad to see this thread is up! Pics got me all excited for our December trip.

Does the main lobby get really crowded in December due to Ginger bread house and christmas decorations?

yes!!!

As much as we loved staying at the GF in December, manuevering a stroller through the crowds was NOT easy. I hope they come up with a better way to snake the line at the Gingerbread House Store to keep the walkways open...

Hi Julia.
I've rented cabanas twice and they are nice. I have lots of pics but they have been upgraded since my last trip in August so I hesitate to post them... hopefully the new ones are much nicer. The price has gone way up - so I'm hoping the quality has as well. They were always perfectly nice but not what I would expect for the GF...
In any case, the cabanas offer shade, guaranteed lounge chairs and a table and chairs, television w/ DVD player and a list of movies you can borrow...We had satellite radio... as well as an attendant to assist you with anything you may need. The old cabanas did allow for privacy. I've seen people napping in their cabanas :laughing: I think renting a cabana is a nice thing to do and it looks as though Disney is taking their cabanas to the next level :thumbsup2 Hopefully someone will post pics of the new GF cabanas soon.

So are they are at the pool... not the beach.... hmmmmmm - I thought they were on the beach.
I am hopeful to see some pictures though!

So are they are at the pool... not the beach.... hmmmmmm - I thought they were on the beach.
I am hopeful to see some pictures though!

They are at the "beach" pool, but on the opposite side of the beach (if that make sense). It is also the opposite side from the zero entry portion of the pool, which didn't work out so well for us either...

Here is a picture of the Grand Floridian taken from a Tower Magic Kingdom View at the Contemporary.

IMG_0129-1.jpg

Also here is another picture of the Grand Floridian taken from the beach at the Polynesian.

IMG_0557-1.jpg

more pics from Feb:
disney%202008%20memory%20stick%202%20046.jpg

disney%202008%20memory%20stick%202%20053.jpg

disney%202008%20memory%20stick%202%20054.jpg

We ordered several room service breakfasts this trip. It was yummy!
disney%202008%20memory%20stick%202%20099.jpg

disney%202008%20memory%20stick%202%20098.jpg

disney%202008%20memory%20stick%202%20100.jpg

arcade photos
165122grand1.jpg

165122grand2.jpg

characters at 1900 parkfare breakfast:
165122p11.jpg

165122p21.jpg

165122p41.jpg

165122p31.jpg

165122p51.jpg

Here are some pics I took of the grill late at night! I hate taking pics of food while people are there :lmao:
Its kind of creepy if you ask me:rotfl2:
165122g4.jpg

165122g2.jpg

165122g3.jpg

165122g6.jpg

165122g10.jpg

165122g9.jpg

165122g7.jpg

I am so glad to see this thread up and running.:yay: Thanks Canadian Guy!

We leave for the airport hotel Sunday - our flight leaves Monday morning!!! We plan to rent a Sea Raycer too. GF here we come!!:banana::banana::banana:

Will report back next Friday!

Hey, Ditto! We fly out Monday at 6AM, due to land at 8:58AM, we should be at the GF by 10:00. :banana:

The weather looks great all week, soooo looking forward to our stay.
So glad this thread is back up. I am getting so excited for the GF.:cool1:

Thanks everyone for this great thread and the old GF thread. It's given me enough great info to plan a stay at GF for part of our trip next year. Just need to convince DD - she is convinced that we should stay at CR. We love WL and the Poly but we really want to try a different MK resort.

We are hoping to do Victoria and Albert's (early seating) while we're there as we haven't been since 2006. But DD will be 13 and DS will turn 16 on our trip next year. They like nice food but I don't think V&A will suit them.

But they still need to eat. Where would be good to send them while we dine? I guess they may go to MK while we're at V&A, or hang at the pool at GF, as the dinner usually takes us 3 hours. Would kids that age enjoy the dinner in 1900 Park Fare, or somewhere in MK? They were 8 and 12 last time we took them - so I'm not used to travelling with older kids.

When my DH and I have dined at V&A, ours did several different things over the years....room service, Citricos and GF Cafe that I can recall right now. Yours are old enough that they might have fun going over to the MK and doing CS or TS there, too.

I've heard recently on a podcast that people are taking the "Picnic in the Park" at AK to go and bringing it back to their resorts. That would be a good idea if you're spending the morning at AK. Picnic on a Pontoon ;) They should offer that! :lmao:

That's a good idea. Pick it up on the way out of the park.

Love the idea of lunch on one of the pontoon boats :cloud9:

Just wanted to add that the Seven Seas Lagoon "cops" seem to keep a watchful eye on the watercraft - they will keep any errant "captains" straight ;)

Very true about security on the lakes. They're very alert.

I am so glad to see this thread up and running.:yay: Thanks Canadian Guy!

We leave for the airport hotel Sunday - our flight leaves Monday morning!!! We plan to rent a Sea Raycer too. GF here we come!!:banana::banana::banana:

Will report back next Friday!

Have a great trip! :cool1:

Can't wait to hear about the GF when you get back.:goodvibes

Glad to see this thread is up! Pics got me all excited for our December trip.

Does the main lobby get really crowded in December due to Ginger bread house and christmas decorations?

I agree with Cinderumbrella. It does get crowded although for the most part it's in a festive way...as long as you steer clear of the Gingerbread House.

They are at the "beach" pool, but on the opposite side of the beach (if that make sense). It is also the opposite side from the zero entry portion of the pool, which didn't work out so well for us either...

Yep, if you look at a map of the GF, they back up near the path that goes to the Spa.

Thanks to all of you who are posting so many lovely pictures of the GF. :cloud9:

I really appreciate having the written info at the very front of the FAQ. Thanks, CanadianGuy. It makes it so easy to find info.:surfweb:

Pics of the 1900 parkfare dinner characters:
IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Here is a pic of the Birthday crown they give out (the one in my DD hands )
IMG_0513.jpg

Birthday cupcake:
IMG_0508.jpg

We can't wait for June and our first stay at the GF..so thanks for all the great photos everyone:thumbsup2 A question about reserving a pontoon boat (we'll be there June 2-6) is it possible to reserve it before we leave? Is it necessary..do they get booked fast in June?

more turn down service pics:
IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

Here is the wedding coach. My DD was so excited she got to see it this last time!
IMG_1212.jpg

pics of the beach:
IMG_1216.jpg

At the time this firepit was used for our Camp Rock beach party. I am guessing its the same firepit they are using for the campfire songs now
IMG_1256.jpg

more sugar loaf pics:
IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

My DD didn't want to leave :rotfl: the greeter was teasing her and she said she was going to hang on and they would have to drag her away :lmao:
IMG_1335.jpg

We can't wait for June and our first stay at the GF..so thanks for all the great photos everyone:thumbsup2 A question about reserving a pontoon boat (we'll be there June 2-6) is it possible to reserve it before we leave? Is it necessary..do they get booked fast in June?

I don't think it is possible to reserve them ahead of time unless there's been a recent change. We've never had to wait for a pontoon boat except at DTD and even that was a matter of a few minutes.

To my knowledge, they do NOT take reservations, but I wouldn't worry about it being booked. There are a couple, and if, by chance they are, you can always check at CR or WL.

Hi TinkTatoo! :wave2:

Here's a pic (not mine) of the boat your son will be able to drive himself:

He is going to be so excited that he can drive it himself :goodvibes

....I am not thrilled about DS having his own sea racer but knowing DH he would let him:lmao: I am just not even going down to the marina to look:lmao:

I think DD and I will have to plan a spa day so we won't be anywhere near the marina :rotfl:

Has anyone hear rented a cabana? are they worth it. Are they on the beach or by the pool. Can you close it up for privacy? Anyone have any pictures?

Thanks

We rented a cabana when we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and it was a fantastic way to spend the day by the pool. I was going to rent one at the GF when it was $60 for the day but I'm not sure that it's worth it now that the price has gone up, I'm still undecided. From what I've seen you can close it up for privacy.

yes!!!

As much as we loved staying at the GF in December, manuevering a stroller through the crowds was NOT easy. I hope they come up with a better way to snake the line at the Gingerbread House Store to keep the walkways open...

We were there one year on Christmas Eve and it was very crowded but getting roasted chestnuts at the entrance, seeing the Gingerbread house and meeting Minnie in her holiday outfit was worth it. Here's some photos

GFChristmas4.jpg

GFChristmas3.jpg

GFChristmas1.jpg

GFChristmas.jpg

Glad to see a new GF FAQ...thanks Canadian Guy

Thanks to all of the picture posters! Love looking at pics of the GF...inside and out...

Brook I dont think you have enough room service pics...:rotfl: ;) jk...maybe you can do a room service dining review...:) When not staying CL I do like to get the morning coffee delivered...

I happen to love love love the cabanas but am not happy with the price increase either...I think the new upgraded ones are beautiful(sofa chairs and a table and chairs in addition to the lounge chairs that have nice thick comfy chair pads...)...and the cabana attendants really make it an ever better experience...if you have never tired its it really is a wonerfully relaxing way to spend some pool time...I have justified the extra expense by booking half day only...(well it is less than a full day!;))...

To all who are leaving soon...enjoy your trips...:goodvibes

Brook I dont think you have enough room service pics... jk...maybe you can do a room service dining review... When not staying CL I do like to get the morning coffee delivered...

What can I say, I am NOT a morning person! :lmao:

I do hear you about the new cost of the cabanas! We decided to do the wonderland tea party and rent the sea racers instead of doing the cabana. The kids will have more fun and it comes out cheaper LOL
We will still swim, but this frees up our time so we can kind of go with the flow a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter