The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brook - they are easy to drive and a lot of fun - one of our favourite things to do on non-park days. It looks like my kids will be big enough to drive them this time. I didn't realise 12 year olds could do this - no wonder there were seemed to be so many crazy drivers on the lake last time ;)

We also rented a pontoon boat, which was great. A WL CM said that a lot of people get themselves a picnic from counter service or room service and go out on the pontoon boat.

We also rented a pontoon boat, which was great. A WL CM said that a lot of people get themselves a picnic from counter service or room service and go out on the pontoon boat.

We love doing that, too. Last month we rented a pontoon at DTD and took sandwiches from Earl of Sandwich. We've always rented on Seven Seas before but that area was fun too. Different but fun.

Thanks everyone for this great thread and the old GF thread. It's given me enough great info to plan a stay at GF for part of our trip next year. Just need to convince DD - she is convinced that we should stay at CR. We love WL and the Poly but we really want to try a different MK resort.

We are hoping to do Victoria and Albert's (early seating) while we're there as we haven't been since 2006. But DD will be 13 and DS will turn 16 on our trip next year. They like nice food but I don't think V&A will suit them.

But they still need to eat. Where would be good to send them while we dine? I guess they may go to MK while we're at V&A, or hang at the pool at GF, as the dinner usually takes us 3 hours. Would kids that age enjoy the dinner in 1900 Park Fare, or somewhere in MK? They were 8 and 12 last time we took them - so I'm not used to travelling with older kids.

We love doing that, too. Last month we rented a pontoon at DTD and took sandwiches from Earl of Sandwich. We've always rented on Seven Seas before but that area was fun too. Different but fun.

I've heard recently on a podcast that people are taking the "Picnic in the Park" at AK to go and bringing it back to their resorts. That would be a good idea if you're spending the morning at AK. Picnic on a Pontoon ;) They should offer that! :lmao:

Brook - they are easy to drive and a lot of fun - one of our favourite things to do on non-park days. It looks like my kids will be big enough to drive them this time. I didn't realise 12 year olds could do this - no wonder there were seemed to be so many crazy drivers on the lake last time ;)

Love the idea of lunch on one of the pontoon boats :cloud9:

Just wanted to add that the Seven Seas Lagoon "cops" seem to keep a watchful eye on the watercraft - they will keep any errant "captains" straight ;)

How old is your son? I think kids have to be 12 to drive a Sea Raycer. If he's old enough I'm sure he'd LOVE to have one all to himself ;) I can tell you that they are easy to drive. Definitely don't need to worry about reserving in advance.

I was getting excited reading this as DS would love to drive one of the Sea Racers. He's looking forward to learning to drive our tractor lawn mower this summer and the Sea Racer would have been the icing on the cake for him :goodvibes

But then I read this

Drivers of canopy boats must be 16 years of age.......

Oh well - that will save a few lives on the Bay Lake :rotfl:

....He is 12 but he is only 55" so I think I am safe :lmao:
I might have to measure him before we leave and hope he doesn't have a growth spurt!

DS is only just 12 but he is already 66" so I can't use the not tall enough excuse - thank god for the age limit pirate:

TinkTattoo - The canopy boats are different to the sea racers. Sea racers are just the titchy sea racers - but they are definitely a whole lot more fun.

TinkTattoo - The canopy boats are different to the sea racers. Sea racers are just the titchy sea racers - but they are definitely a whole lot more fun.

OMG - does that mean he can actually drive one :scared1: He'll be delighted but I might have to put a warning out in the general Bay Lake area when he does :goodvibes

Hi TinkTatoo! :wave2:

Here's a pic (not mine) of the boat your son will be able to drive himself:

FL046.jpg

Question about sea racers

We booked DD at the Wonderland tea party for our resort day. DH and DS want to rent the sea racers while she is at her party. We have never rented one before so he called the wdw play hotline and they said you don't need to reserve a sea racer? Is this correct?
What age are they allowed to use the sea racers? Should DH plan on renting one or 2:confused3
I am thinking 1 as DS might run into the Grand 1 and I don't want that repair bill :rotfl2:

Has anyone rented them before? How hard are they to drive? What has been your experience?
DH also looked up the sailboat rental and that might be another option :confused3 but again not sure of ages. Do they supply life vests and does everyone have to wear one?

The sea racers are as easy to drive as a bumper car... :goodvibes
To rent one, just walk down to the marina and tell them you would like one and how long you want it for. They give you a overview on how it works, and they help you push back from the dock.
I don't know how old you have to be to DRIVE one... but anyone who is able to sit up (like my 19 month old) can ride... :scared1:
No seat belts... so watch those big waves ;)
Life vets are supplied... they are the nice vest kind... with ALL sorts of sizes and YES everyone has to wear one:woohoo:

I am so glad to see this thread up and running.:yay: Thanks Canadian Guy!

We leave for the airport hotel Sunday - our flight leaves Monday morning!!! We plan to rent a Sea Raycer too. GF here we come!!:banana::banana::banana:

Will report back next Friday!

Like bumper cars? :lmao:

Knowing my son he will play bumper cars with the grand1:lmao: hopefully he will still be under 5 foot by July!

We have a whole day at just the resort planned this trip. We are doing a very late lunch at 1900 at 10:55am. We are going to take our time and drink our coffee.
Then a little shopping and playing at the arcade. DD has her wonderland tea party and the guys want to do the marina. After that its swimming! We are going to eat dinner either at the lounge or Gasperilla's or the cafe.
After, the kids want to go down and do the campfire sing along and roast smores on the beach!

I am not thrilled about DS having his own sea racer but knowing DH he would let him:lmao: I am just not even going down to the marina to look:lmao:

Has anyone hear rented a cabana? are they worth it. Are they on the beach or by the pool. Can you close it up for privacy? Anyone have any pictures?

Thanks

Like bumper cars? :lmao:

Knowing my son he will play bumper cars with the grand1:lmao: hopefully he will still be under 5 foot by July!

We have a whole day at just the resort planned this trip. We are doing a very late lunch at 1900 at 10:55am. We are going to take our time and drink our coffee.
Then a little shopping and playing at the arcade. DD has her wonderland tea party and the guys want to do the marina. After that its swimming! We are going to eat dinner either at the lounge or Gasperilla's or the cafe.
After, the kids want to go down and do the campfire sing along and roast smores on the beach!

I am not thrilled about DS having his own sea racer but knowing DH he would let him:lmao: I am just not even going down to the marina to look:lmao:

"Racer" is not the most accurate word to describe them... they don't go THAT fast... he won't be able to do any damage! ;)

Glad to see this thread is up! Pics got me all excited for our December trip.

Does the main lobby get really crowded in December due to Ginger bread house and christmas decorations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter