ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

I went and binge read your PTR and have been following along on your TR. I love your style of telling us your story, it makes me feel as if I am there with you and your family on this trip!

Belated congratulations on your graduation!

I have only read the intro, but I just wanted to say I'm following along!

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

It's so great to have you here! I love when the lurkers come out and say hi and start to play along! Please feel free to chime in and join the banter; the more, the merrier. This TR is only in its infancy; still LOTS more to come.

I went and binge read your PTR and have been following along on your TR. I love your style of telling us your story, it makes me feel as if I am there with you and your family on this trip!

Belated congratulations on your graduation!

A very hearty :welcome::welcome::welcome: to you as well!! I can't believe that you are the 2nd new reader in as many posts! I love when new readers decide to join in the fun. I have made many true friends here and I'm so happy that my writing "takes you there". Another chapter is going up today, so stay tuned. :)

It is a proven fact that the longest one-way trip to anywhere is the trip to your home resort from MCO.

Truth. Unless you're driving across North Dakota.

It is also Disney-Law that your resort will be the last one on the ME route.

Also truth. No exceptions.

There were 3 of them (palettes that is), but Momma's palette overrides teenage palettes 100% of the time.

Darn right. This ain't no democracy.

Wanna see our view??

I could get on board with that!

we toddled off to the Crap Store (the term we'd use for every single gift shop during the entire trip)

I'm stealing that one. Just a heads-up.

I was bordering on getting blisters long before this vacation got off its feet. About halfway around the pool the 2nd time, my attitude took a decided nose dive. I didn't see them and decided they'd gone off to explore, so left somewhat perturbed for the room grumbling mild profanities in exasperated, hushed tones. This was after I'd tried to call them multiple times, mind you.

:sad2: As a parent, nothing will drive you more nuts than your own kids.

Seriously, I was really, really cranky at the kids and myself. To be fair, none of us had slept in approximately 36 hours and it was definitely catching up with us. In my pissy mood, partially due to the fact that the kids were blaming me for the mix up, at that point we needed to set down some Trip Ground Rules.

Yep, 36 hours with no sleep does a real number on your patience. And attitude. I don't think anyone can hold up under that.

It was either dirty undies or none, so I made the only choice I could: I set off for The Springs Commando-style.

:scared1:

What a mess with the room! Once again, I'm afraid I have to reference a classic:

What we have here is failure to communicate.

B is for: Bring on the Birds

It seems many, if not most of my readers missed the last update.
So I will trudge on... (If that was you, you missed my epic underwear-less foray into Disney Springs.)

Brace yourselves: This is one of perhaps no fewer than 4 or more Bird Posts scattered throughout this TR. Some will be much better. Promise.

Since I've abandoned any semblance of rhyme or reason in this TR, let's just add a bit more mayhem. I also chose to tackle this update because it's a colossal disappointment as far as photos go. May as well get the not-so-great out of the way early on.

But let me back up and tell the story...

Steppe's Graduation Celebration Party woke up early on Disney Day 2 (6:00 AM became our standard usual) raring to go to Animal Kingdom. DAK happens to be Queenie's 2nd favorite park, although it very decidedly inched toward #1 this trip. Perhaps being a few years older (5 to be exact) and maybe even a bit wiser since her last trip is helping her to know and embrace the tranquility and peace this park offers. True beauty can certainly be found in every corner, with just enough happy vibe in the mix to put a great, big, huge happy cadence in her Steppe.

It seems that featuring the Stars of the Park Opening is appropriate here, being about birds and all:

In case you've never managed to make it to Animal Kingdom's opening, a nice little narrative is played something along the lines of "adventure" and "exploring". Then an explosion of parrots is released overhead. It's loud and exciting and gorgeous! Perfect for opening the mad dash to EE... but that's another chapter. Today's is for the birds.

Our little group ended up enjoying about 90% of what this park has to offer over the course of the several days we Stepped inside. One of the lesser visited attractions that we took in was the Flights of Wonder Show, which had wowed me enough on my last trip to make sure the kids saw it this time. There is one every hour or so, so you really don't have to plan too terribly much in order to take one in. After some other fun stuff we did, which you'll have to wait for, we headed to the 11:00 showing around 10:40. To draw in the crowd, they had a little pre-show going that featured Annie the Great Horned Owl:

We live in owl country so my kids could actually answer most of the questions he was asking about owls. One of my pipe dreams is to photo-capture one in our yard where they regularly hang out.

Soon enough, we were let into the fairly large amphitheater and chose some pretty crappy seats. About 30 seconds into the show, I'd wished we'd gone down closer to the stage. Oh well.

The baby black vulture was the first bird I got a very mediocre photo of; the rest up to this point are about the quality of something a 2 year old would take if handed a camera, so I won't bother to post them.

Here are the photos of Baby Webster:

The next bird I got a shot at, but still failed at miserably (wrong lens, wrong settings!) was the Harris' Hawk:

At the very least, I love the joy on the crowd's faces!

A few notes:

If you are afraid of birds, do NOT go to this show. They fly extremely close to the Tour Group's (you) heads! You can hear the rush of their wings, and should you be stupid and rude enough, you could reach out and touch them.

Next was one of the most EPIC parts of my whole day! Each show they choose 2 people from the crowd to go on stage to try their hand at getting some shots at the Great Horned Owl flying straight at them from up on stage. I shot my camera up when they announced it and was miraculously chosen! I had remembered this from last time and was more than ready.
I put my settings on Sport mode, and thought, "This is is! Gonna get me some fantastic shots!"

I could cry.

That's it. And that's zoomed and cropped as much as I could. I needed my long lens on so I could zoom it in when it first took off, but moving a lens and following something going that fast just didn't work. C'est la vie.

After the show, which we'd highly recommend if you want to just get off your feet and be entertained, they displayed a few of the birds for photo ops. Remember those parrots at the Park's Opening Show? Here is one of those flying parrots sitting still in all his glory. And now we've come full circle...

I had hoped for so much more to offer from this show. Nevertheless, we enjoyed it very much! Zach had actually opted to go try to ride Dinosaur while Anara and I did the show, but returned to catch the last most of it after discovering Dino was still under refurb. He admitted (in a typical understated teenager way) that he really enjoyed it. It's funny, entertaining, educational, and beautiful.

Last edited:
One of the lesser visited attractions that we took in was the Flights of Wonder Show

Haven't made it to this yet...wanted to but...never happened. Next time!

And that's zoomed and cropped as much as I could.

That's actually a really cool picture. It's weird though because unless you were looking for it..you might actually miss the owl!!

He admitted (in a typical understated teenager way) that he really enjoyed it.

This made me laugh because...I have a teenager...and that's just how they roll lol

The show looks pretty cool. We've never actually taken the time to watch it. Maybe next trip.

Well, hello, Grumpy's Wife! (I am one of those too. ;) )

I think you'll not be disappointed! It really is a nice way to slow things down and get off the feet. I wouldn't say it's an every trip kind of thing, but certainly at least once. When you do, I sure hope you get much better photos!

Haven't made it to this yet...wanted to but...never happened. Next time!

There's always new stuff to do "next time"! I swear you could have a completely different trip itinerary every time you go!

That's actually a really cool picture. It's weird though because unless you were looking for it..you might actually miss the owl!!

GAH! If only I'd had my my zoom on. But thank you!

This made me laugh because...I have a teenager...and that's just how they roll lol

I think they don't want to be caught looking what they perceive to be "uncool". If you start talking about the latest anime show or video game, though, they're the very face of enthusiasm! Go figure.

I love that show! Haven't been to it for quite some time. Michael will be very grateful that you now inspired me to drag him there on our next visit! ;-)

Thanks - I needed that today! (And I can't remember if I ever responded to your A. I know I read it, but I'm having a hard time with the DIS lately wanting to crash.)

My family also likes that show - we've done it on both of our trips. Cool that you got to go on stage, even if the photos didn't turn out like you wanted!

Darn right. This ain't no democracy.

I figure, if I'm paying for the grub, they'll eat what I want. We've always had a standing rule in our household: You will ALWAYS have 2 choices for every meal:

Take it. Or leave it. If you leave it, you're in charge of your own PB and J.

I'm stealing that one. Just a heads-up.

We used Crap Store and Crap Shop interchangably. Both are equally accurate.

:sad2: As a parent, nothing will drive you more nuts than your own kids.

I dunno, I saw plenty of other peoples' kids that drove me nuts. I just had to put up with mine a lot longer. ;)

Yep, 36 hours with no sleep does a real number on your patience. And attitude. I don't think anyone can hold up under that.

The good news is that after a VERY good sleep that night, paired with a healthy dose of Disney adrenaline, we were golden the next day.

What a mess with the room! Once again, I'm afraid I have to reference a classic:

What we have here is failure to communicate.

It was unbelievable really. Do they not update their database when a room change is made? I don't get it....

And this time, I'll peg it right: Cool Hand Luke (not Patton). And I still haven't watched it again since your last referencing of it.

Thanks - I needed that today! (And I can't remember if I ever responded to your A. I know I read it, but I'm having a hard time with the DIS lately wanting to crash.)

You're very welcome! Purposely on here and staying away from FB and anything else that sucks me into the negativism. :) I still feel like crud, and am happy to just sit my chair and edit photos.

Sounds like your DIS woes are similar to my PB woes. :(

My family also likes that show - we've done it on both of our trips. Cool that you got to go on stage, even if the photos didn't turn out like you wanted!

It's just a really fun show. No high thrills or huge wow factor, but just good old fashion nature-oriented entertainment. It was a cool moment for sure!

Uh oh! Am I going to be in big trouble with him?

No, he will be fine. He loves all critters, even birds. But he would be in heaven if it were a dog show. Or not, because then he would be said about not having a puppy. But I think it is not one of his priorities. He prefers Lion King.

In case you've never managed to make it to Animal Kingdom's opening, a nice little narrative is played something along the lines of "adventure" and "exploring". Then an explosion of parrots is released overhead. It's loud and exciting and gorgeous!
I didn't know there was a parrot/welcome show at AK. I'll have to make a mental note of that. Of course, since my family has never managed to make it to any welcome show, it may never see it. I'm dealing with three ladies who know there's going to be photos on any Disney day. There's a lot of primping and pruning involved. That doesn't go well with early mornings and welcome shows.

One of the lesser visited attractions that we took in was the Flights of Wonder Show, which had wowed me enough on my last trip to make sure the kids saw it this time.
I saw that years ago and thought it was just OK. It probably had to do with seeing a very similar show at Seaworld just a couple days before, even had the same $1 bill joke. I should probably give it another chance.

I put my settings on Sport mode, and thought, "This is is! Gonna get me some fantastic shots!"
I would have done the same thing. But I am far from a professional photographer. I usually just keep it on auto settings and hope for the best.

t's a colossal disappointment as far as photos go.
Ummmmm...your photos of the show will still put mine to shame when I get to that point in the report.

Very cool that you were selected for the onstage bit--I was in the flight path of the Harris Hawk. Could have sworn its talons were going to graze my scalp!

I have been having trouble posting on here from my new laptop, so I'm on my tablet. So far so good, except I habitually miss a letter here and there. Hilarious that you went commando to DS. A girls gotta do what she's gotta do, right?

Nice start to the day. I love AK too,especially in the morning. We usually skip FOW, but it is a nice diversion. I think your shots are cool. I don't think I got any of those quick birds in my shots, just a blurrrrr.

No, he will be fine. He loves all critters, even birds. But he would be in heaven if it were a dog show. Or not, because then he would be said about not having a puppy. But I think it is not one of his priorities. He prefers Lion King.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love ALL the shows at DAK. In fact, if I were to have to rank them, I'd say 1. Nemo 2. Lion King 3) Flights of Wonder in that order. But as I kept telling my kids, who would approach something and be skeptical: At Disney NOTHING is bad and you won't enjoy. (I know there are some who might disagree and throw IASW under the bus.)

I didn't know there was a parrot/welcome show at AK. I'll have to make a mental note of that. Of course, since my family has never managed to make it to any welcome show, it may never see it. I'm dealing with three ladies who know there's going to be photos on any Disney day. There's a lot of primping and pruning involved. That doesn't go well with early mornings and welcome shows.

No, you can't have good photos AND Welcome Shows; they are mutually exclusive. I did manage to get make-up on about 3 of the 10 days, but unless it's a close-up, you wouldn't be able to tell. So why bother. (There were no close-ups taken, since I forgot to take care of the nose hairs.)

I saw that years ago and thought it was just OK. It probably had to do with seeing a very similar show at Seaworld just a couple days before, even had the same $1 bill joke. I should probably give it another chance.

They hadn't changed the script since last time I'd been, but it was still a nice reprieve from the fast pace we'd done up to that point. I probably won't do it next trip, but it's fun every 5 years or so. ;)

I would have done the same thing. But I am far from a professional photographer. I usually just keep it on auto settings and hope for the best.

So am I. I like to pretend, though. ;) I have progressed to taking most shots in manual mode and almost have the hang of what changing the settings will do and can adjust, but still only get about 1 in 40 or so that are worth anything.

OMG, you asking them to bring your underwear cracked me up!

I think I got my point across. LOLOLOL!

I loooooved the Make-Your-Own Pasta at AoA! Om nom nom!

It was super great! I'd totally do that again in a heartbeat!

Ummmmm...your photos of the show will still put mine to shame when I get to that point in the report.

Very cool that you were selected for the onstage bit--I was in the flight path of the Harris Hawk. Could have sworn its talons were going to graze my scalp!

Flying birds are SUPER tough to get, so don't feel badly. Disappointing for sure, but the show was fun to watch and enjoy nonetheless.

They get so close! I was wondering as I typed up that chapter how they train them to do that?! WOW!

I have been having trouble posting on here from my new laptop, so I'm on my tablet. So far so good, except I habitually miss a letter here and there. Hilarious that you went commando to DS. A girls gotta do what she's gotta do, right?

I've been trying to comment with my phone and it's been an absolute disaster. I abandoned that and just waited til I got back on my laptop. My next big ticket purchase is a new one, so I can have one in the evenings too. My kids need one to do homework, and it's usually mine that gets horked.

I'm just glad my pants didn't fall down during the dance party at DS that night! That would have been... interesting!

Nice start to the day. I love AK too,especially in the morning. We usually skip FOW, but it is a nice diversion. I think your shots are cool. I don't think I got any of those quick birds in my shots, just a blurrrrr.

Mornings are definitely the bomb-diggity at AK! So serene! (Well, after the mad dash to EE!)

Thanks! It was fun trying anyway. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter