"That Walt Disney Dude"

You seem to be taking comments to their extreme. I never said this signals demise of our society. I never saw anyone suggest that one should know enough to write a thesis.

This is purely opinion. And what works for my family. We love to learn. A family vacation at the beach is a blast, but ours included learning about the seafloor, continental shelf, ocean currents, tides, whether the beach is an active or passive margin, despite and what kind if rocks and shells can be found in that particular beach.

TOTALLY opinion and personal preference. My family likes to learn. I really think this is where the debate (many many posts about it) of whether Disney is an educational experience. I've always responded to those posts with "it can be, it is for us, it is what you make of it" and my family has fun making a learning experience out of anthony and everything we can. we still love the magic and the thrills, but there is plenty of time before, during, and after to learn a little something too.

Well, my kids are older than I imagine your kids are, and we always added an educational element to every vacation. We also LOVE to learn! We drove to WDW once just so the kids could experience a road trip and learn about the states we passed through on our way from Chicago to Florida. I even managed to make a stop at the Maker's Mark Distillery an educational opportunity:rotfl:, my kids asked so many questions about the process of making Maker's Mark, the tour guide joked they could work there.

Now, we like to chill and have fun on vacation, too, but adding a bit of learning to every day really boosts the brain...my DD is 19 and was awarded a private full-ride scholarship to the college of her choice due to her academic achievements and I know how we approached learning helped her in so many ways.

I, for one, am a huge fan of Walt Disney. He is actually my idol....just the imagination, team building, risk-taking and forward-thinking way he operated is what inspires me. My kids know a lot about him and the old men animators, etc...we were lucky enough to get a tour of the studios in Burbank last summer, what a thrill!

I do not expect modern-day teenagers to know a lot about Walt Disney the man. He's been dead for longer than I have been alive, and I am 43! But it is cool to know the history...I work for a major American company whose founder's name is our company's name, and our company has a museum in our corporate office dedicated to him...we also do not and will not have dimes in our business because he once said "I do not want this to be a five and dime operation", so we have to send all dimes back to the bank when we get them...little history nuggets like that are cool to me.

woaaaaaaaaahhhhh...just read the rest of the posts on this thread. Now I feel stupid for posting! I still do like Walt Disney the man as a business man, inventor, film maker and innovator. I like how he led teams....but I do agree everyone enjoys the parks in their own way, and I am just grateful that he had the idea to create them so that we may all have years of enjoyment and memories, no mater your touring style, etc...now let's all have a magical day!

Found a good quote that may apply in this thread...not the topic, but the thread. ;)

"Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you."

This is not aimed at any one person; just something for us all to think about.

And the one I try to remind myself of most often: "It isn't about me" LOL.

I'm going to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg next week. Does anyone know the history of Busch Gardens? I have no idea of its history, OR who started it all!!

I know the thead has since gone OT, but what the heck...

Yeah, beer baron Augustus "Gussie" Busch, Jr. (I'm from St. Louis, so knowing about Gussie Busch is akin to what some of these folks are saying people should know about Walt Disney).

Besides running the Anheuser-Busch breweries, Mr. Busch was also the owner of the St. Louis Cardinals MLB team, who retired the number 85 in honor of his 85th birthday in the late 80's (he died, shortly afterwards, and the team was soon sold to a private investment group).

And yes, there's a connection between the two -- back in the 50's (after Disneyland was built), Walt floated the idea of building an enclosed theme park in St. Louis -- Gussie Busch told Disney his idea would "never fly", because Disney had this "no alcohol" policy going-on in his parks.

Busch then got the idea to open the first Busch Gardens in Tampa in the late 50's -- and, as the Tampa brewery was the centerpiece, alcohol was definitely served to park guests -- obviously, the Florida thing must've made some kind of an impression on Mr. Disney, because you know the rest......or do you? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter