"That Walt Disney Dude"

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
Here is one of the funniest things I heard at WDW during my trip:

Two teenage girls walking by One Man's Dream looking at a Park map.

One girl says:

"OK,we just passed Toy Story Mania and now we're walking by that Walt Disney dude.":)

Clearly not enough programming/brainwashing. :lmao:

I hope you got a picture of her so she can be dealt with by "Marketing."

"Can you believe it? That guy must have loved Walt Disney World so much he actually changed his name to Walt Disney! And then they made a show about him in Walt Disney World!"

Those girls should have stopped in so they could learn a little something about that Walt Disney dude. :rolleyes2

EDIT:

This thread turned nasty.

Very sad, considering it concerns a great man's magnificent legacy.

I want no more to do with it.

It's easy for old(er) farts like myself to assume that the whole world knows Walt and his accomplishments, the only thing worth watching on a Sunday evening in my youth was his Wonderful World. I agree with the poster who recommended 'One Man's Dream', I'd make it a requirement for first time visitors.

Bill From PA

It's easy for old(er) farts like myself to assume that the whole world knows Walt and his accomplishments, the only thing worth watching on a Sunday evening in my youth was his Wonderful World. I agree with the poster who recommended 'One Man's Dream', I'd make it a requirement for first time visitors.

Bill From PA

I couldn't agree more with you Bill, they should have "One Man's Dream" running constantly on a resort channel kind of like they have Stacey running 24/7 :thumbsup2.

Bill From PA

Wish they still did Wonder World, I miss it. I also love the Chaz Bono jab, nice one.:rotfl2:

I couldn't agree more with you Bill, they should have "One Man's Dream" running constantly on a resort channel kind of like they have Stacey running 24/7 :thumbsup2.

I actually really like this idea. There are so many resort channels devoted to DVC, what to see, and hotel junk. They should have a channel devoted to the history and making of WDW. It is not like there isn't already enough shows they can show. But as said, we older folks grew up on Disney. I remember his introduction to the Disney movies on ABC and i also remember some of the animal shows he did. Now a days you don't have that and we should. Every Sunday night ABC should do a "Wonderful World of Disney" and show a classic Disney movie. A couple weeks ago i watched Freakie Friday with Jodie Foster. Was awesome! Not like it would be displacing something good that is currently on tv... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UBhDxG3yc

Well, I'm 50 years old and Walt died in 1966 when I was four. And these were teenage girls so I'm sure they have no idea of what Walt did because, well, ya know, if it's not taught in school, then well, forget about it. It's not really the girls' fault - their parents didn't teach them where they were going and what Walt meant so that means the parents don't care either.

At least the girls were looking at a park map and not yakking on a cell phone or texting while walking.

And I'm sure these girls think they will go to Lima, Ohio and see students from McKinley High breaking out in song during the lunch break.

I agree, Rock_doctor, I think it would be cool if they had one channel in the resorts that did nothing but run old Wonderful World of Disney (in all it's incarnations) and all of the great old live action films too. Maybe they could show One Man's Dream on the DME bus from the airport.

That made me smile... BUT if anyone does step into the world you should know at least a LITTLE history of how everything came to be ... and the one who started it all pixuedust:

My DBF was attending a Traditions class (WDW CM's training class) last week when one girl put her hand up and asked if Walt Disney was still alive :( That made me die a little inside.

hogwartsdropout said:
My DBF was attending a Traditions class (WDW CM's training class) last week when one girl put her hand up and asked if Walt Disney was still alive :( That made me die a little inside.

You would think someone would actually research the company they were going to work for. Now she will be forever known as 'that girl'. Hopefully training does her good so she doesn't confuse guests when they ask her similar questions! :goodvibes (maybe I should start quizzing CMs about Walt Disney when I visit in a few months...hmm)

Well, I'm 50 years old and Walt died in 1966 when I was four. And these were teenage girls so I'm sure they have no idea of what Walt did because, well, ya know, if it's not taught in school, then well, forget about it. It's not really the girls' fault - their parents didn't teach them where they were going and what Walt meant so that means the parents don't care either.

At least the girls were looking at a park map and not yakking on a cell phone or texting while walking.

And I'm sure these girls think they will go to Lima, Ohio and see students from McKinley High breaking out in song during the lunch break.

You act like not knowing about Walt Disney is putting these girls on the road to ruin.

I am 43. I've been to Disney over 40 times and was never taught about him by my parents nor have I really felt a burning desire to seek out that knowledge. My kids have been there many, many times and of all the things I feel they should know and learn, the topic of Walt Disney has never come up.

And it's ok.

You act like not knowing about Walt Disney is putting these girls on the road to ruin.

I am 43 I've been to Disney over 40 times and was never taught about him by my parents nor have I really felt a burning desire to seek out that knowledge. My kids have been there many, many times and of all the things I feel they should know and learn, the topic of Walt Disney has never come up.

And it's ok.

Exactly, I imagine there are plenty of ivy league grads who couldn't recite much about Walt. Then again they might also be able to recite the things about him that most fans like to overlook.

What I find sad about it (among other things), is that Walt Disney's story is not just WDW or DL history. It is American History.

It is something in the history of our country that impacted many people. Not just the people who go to Disney for vacation (the 'regulars' or the once-in-a-lifetimers). Not just the thousands upon thousands of people employed because of him. Not just the entire city of Orlando. Not just the economic impact on the state of Florida. It is all of that plus more.

I know so many kids who hate History class because it is boring. But it isn't. History can be fun and exciting and interesting. And this is just one in many examples of that. One Man's Dream is a requirement for my family - I want my kids to be exposed to as much "fun" history as they can so that see how fun and interesting our past can be. And in turn, that has sparked their desire for knowledge on other historical subjects. Both of my older kids love watching history and discovery type channels (though some of those airwaves are being lost to reality crap as well). My younger son devoured the non-fiction books on his summer reading list while dragging his feet on the fiction books (which surprised me). I'd like to think that their desire for knowledge and learning is in part because I've instilled a sense of importance in them ... and not just "read your history text book because you have to", but because "stories of people in our history can be fascinating".

I can't imagine not wanting to know about the world around me, how it got there, how it affects other people ... etc. Disneyworld isn't any different.

(I'm 42 and miss Sunday Night TV - I'm trying to recreate that for my kids as much as possible. I try for a weekly "Disney Movie Night" - doing themes, some of which I got here from that huge thread about theme movie nights.)

I am 43 I've been to Disney over 40 times and was never taught about him by my parents nor have I really felt a burning desire to seek out that knowledge. My kids have been there many, many times and of all the things I feel they should know and learn, the topic of Walt Disney has never come up.

And it's ok.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter