That terrible smell in Innoventions?

scrapquitler

DIS Veteran
whats the deal with the horrible smell in the building with the Character Spot? The first time we noticed it, we thought it was a plumbing problem or something, but every single time we have been in there in the last two years, we notice it. Why in the world wouldn't Disney do something about it?

I'm a regular visitor and I've been asking myself that question for a couple of years now.I think in the last two years or so there's been one time I didn't smell it,I can't understand how and why it doesnt get fixed.The only other time I smelled something similar in a park or theme park resort was at the Cabana Bay lobby,the newest hotel at Universal.It was a one time thing and taken care of but this smell at Epcot just doesn't get taken care of,close the building if you have to but fix it.

Google for "fiberglass smell."

That may be the culprit.

That smell has been there as long as I can remember. The best guess I have came from another guest, a plumber - our families were in line together, got to discussing the awful smell & he said that Disney really needs to "clean their grease trap."

As to why they don't fix it... I imagine it's not a safety issue, only a smelly issue, and they don't suffer enough damage because of it to warrant an expensive repair. Most guests probably don't return to smell it again & just consider it a one-off plumbing issue.

I've noticed it some trips but not others. I smell it worse outside the building than inside it.

It reminds me of a smell we get around here at times. We have some areas where the storm drains and the sewer drains share piping underground. When the storm drains get really dry the sewer smell takes over and can really cause odor problems. They have tried everything to combat it, including dropping giant air fresheners in there. Nothing works, except rain. It's not something you smell constantly.

We've also noticed that smell for years. My husband and I have an ongoing joke, anytime we smell a similar sewer smell no matter where we are we exclaim "Innoventions!" At least it makes the horrible smell in other places funny because it reminds us of Disney. :)

It smells exactly like our camper toilet after we've let it go too long. Broccoli in a sewer.

Someone once posted it had to do with the foliage in the area. That guess is as good as any. I highly doubt if it was from the sewer Disney would let it go.

to me, innovations has a combined new carpet industrial glue, new constuction, stale A/C, but also musty, mold and dust smell combined. It's been a long time since the whole innovations was used and I think it's it's long past time for a deep clean like they close rides time to time to do... Basically it's smells like that section your meeting and greeting is new construction and it's mixed with abandoned space behind loose construction walls/barriers.

It has been there for years. Worse in the summer. We call it the vomit smell. We were surveyed in December right outside the breezeway there and we put that on our survey :). In fact we used it for directional purchases for our family on the last trip. Ok, go through the vomit tunnel towards the glass pyramid....

I'm glad we aren't the only ones! It totally smells like a porta potty. My husband sent an email about it once. He got a polite email response that didn't explain the smell or really say anything. It has become a joke now with my family! The smell is so unenjoyable though!

to me, innovations has a combined new carpet industrial glue, new constuction, stale A/C, but also musty, mold and dust smell combined. It's been a long time since the whole innovations was used and I think it's it's long past time for a deep clean like they close rides time to time to do... Basically it's smells like that section your meeting and greeting is new construction and it's mixed with abandoned space behind loose construction walls/barriers.
It more about the smell outside Innoventions, not inside
I think sometimes it leaks inside but when I smell it the worse it's outside, closer to Club Cool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter