• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about Disney Gift Cards from Target

Wow! This is the first I have heard of this! Just went on to Target website under Red Card terms and what it said was the 5% does not apply to "Target gift cards and prepaid cards." Can anyone clarify this?

Thinking of doing the debit option, but really don't want to link if not honored.

Thanks.:goodvibes:goodvibes

I was thinking of getting my kids a GC from Target using my red card to get the 5% discount. I just want to make sure they will be able to use them down in Disney World next week. Where are they accepted? Could my son use it to buy snacks or is it strictly to be used at the merchandise stores like the Emporium or World of Disney at DTD?

We always get gift cards at out local grocery store so we can get gas points and they have always taken them for us. Except at carts where you need cash.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wow! This is the first I have heard of this! Just went on to Target website under Red Card terms and what it said was the 5% does not apply to "Target gift cards and prepaid cards." Can anyone clarify this?

Thinking of doing the debit option, but really don't want to link if not honored.

Thanks.:goodvibes:goodvibes

You cannot use the discount on Target gift cards or Visa/MC gift cards. All other gift cards (Disney, restaurants, etc.) are coded as "Entertainment" in the Target system and are eligible for the discount.

You cannot use the discount on Target gift cards or Visa/MC gift cards. All other gift cards (Disney, restaurants, etc.) are coded as "Entertainment" in the Target system and are eligible for the discount.

Thanks! Prepaid cards is really what threw me. Will check this out. Any other great Disney tips? Would love to hear about all of them!

Thank you kindly for your reply!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thanks! Prepaid cards is really what threw me. Will check this out. Any other great Disney tips? Would love to hear about all of them!

Thank you kindly for your reply!:goodvibes:goodvibes

For the last couple of years there have been coupons on the Target website during the first few weeks after Thanksgiving. They were for a $10 Target Gift Card with any $50 purchase. The Terms and Conditions were the same..."not good on prepaid cards"...but the coupons did work on the Disney Gift cards.

Each computer could print two coupons so people would print as many as they could and use them to buy the Disney Gift Cards. They would then use the $10 Target Gift Cards to buy more Disney Gift Cards. It came to a decent savings, especially when you used your Red Card to make that initial purchase.

Keep your fingers crossed that they do the promotion again this year. :)

For the last couple of years there have been coupons on the Target website during the first few weeks after Thanksgiving. They were for a $10 Target Gift Card with any $50 purchase. The Terms and Conditions were the same..."not good on prepaid cards"...but the coupons did work on the Disney Gift cards.

Each computer could print two coupons so people would print as many as they could and use them to buy the Disney Gift Cards. They would then use the $10 Target Gift Cards to buy more Disney Gift Cards. It came to a decent savings, especially when you used your Red Card to make that initial purchase.

Keep your fingers crossed that they do the promotion again this year. :)

Sounds great! Did it work online? Just downloaded my debit card application!:goodvibes:goodvibes

:cool1:I've bought over $6000 in target gc for this trip:thumbsup2 saving just under 10% stacked 5% red debit card with 5% pharmacy rewards each time. I bought $400-$1600 with each transaction, no problems. I paid $2800 for resort in these $50gc, CMs very sweet and pt. Bought MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets with, had to buy them one at a time, but otherwise no problem. Bought Photopass+ with 3 gc, no problem. Park Tickets were another issue (shouldn't be if you use them at guest services there) after several phone calls and an email, I was able to get a manger to take them over the phone @$1800, but definitely not an easy accomplishment. Now I plan on taking them to parks and paying off chargebacks to the room every day or two. This will end up saving me 600-800 dollars

You also used to be able to go through ebates online, and earn 2% cash back PLUS your 5% if you ordered them from the website... but I think they stopped doing that.

I tried yesterday, and the ebate isn't good for giftcards. :(

No, all of this is false. In fact, there's no such thing as a Disney gift card. No, wait, there's no such thing as Target! :lmao:

(Shh, we don't want them catching on and reclassifying the cards!)

Just want to make one thing painfully clear (only one poster mentioned it as an aside). The cards are $50 cards and cannot be combined in any way. I have tried but they stopped doing so a couple of years ago. There is information online saying otherwise but it is old and stale.

It's a tedious process to read off the serial numbers of 50 cards (and could take multiple trips to Target to get) over the phone, but Cast members are used to it, or at least obliging. Worth it for 5%, but just wanted people to be aware.

For spending and meals, it's easier to charge to room if staying on property and pay down your bill at the front desk with the cards rather than managing a bunch of cards in the parks with partial balances. YMMV

Just want to make one thing painfully clear (only one poster mentioned it as an aside). The cards are $50 cards and cannot be combined in any way. I have tried but they stopped doing so a couple of years ago. There is information online saying otherwise but it is old and stale.

It's a tedious process to read off the serial numbers of 50 cards (and could take multiple trips to Target to get) over the phone, but Cast members are used to it, or at least obliging. Worth it for 5%, but just wanted people to be aware.

For spending and meals, it's easier to charge to room if staying on property and pay down your bill at the front desk with the cards rather than managing a bunch of cards in the parks with partial balances. YMMV

Good to know. Thank you

So, I just did some comparison shopping...

Anyone who has a BJs membership and a Disney Premiere Visa will do better to buy the cards at BJs. The $100 card was $95.99 so that is roughly 4%. Then I will get 2% back on the purchase making the total savings 5.92%. It's not much better than Target but every little bit helps, right? If you have the regular Disney Visa the discount is just under 5% so Target is better. Of course if you use another rewards credit card your savings might be even higher, depending on the percentage back it gives.

The other plus to BJs is they sell $100 cards (along with the $50 and $25 that Target also sells). When you are buying a lot of cards it is nice to be able to get them in larger amounts.

:cool1:I've bought over $6000 in target gc for this trip:thumbsup2 saving just under 10% stacked 5% red debit card with 5% pharmacy rewards each time. I bought $400-$1600 with each transaction, no problems. I paid $2800 for resort in these $50gc, CMs very sweet and pt. Bought MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets with, had to buy them one at a time, but otherwise no problem. Bought Photopass+ with 3 gc, no problem. Park Tickets were another issue (shouldn't be if you use them at guest services there) after several phone calls and an email, I was able to get a manger to take them over the phone @$1800, but definitely not an easy accomplishment. Now I plan on taking them to parks and paying off chargebacks to the room every day or two. This will end up saving me 600-800 dollars

I went online to buy MVMCP tickets with gift cards but don't see an option to use gift cards, do you have to call?

Target sells $100 cards too. I bought all $100 cards for my last trip with my Red debit card and saved 5%.

For those who pre-ordered photopass+ with gift cards :
Where you able to use multiple giftcards online or did you have to call to pre-order??
I have only seen $50 Disney gift cards at Target. Wish the Targets around me would carry $100 Disney giftcards!

If you join their pharmacy rewards program and fill 5 prescriptions at Target, you also get a 5% coupon. You can use that with your red card to save 10%. I just got $1200 worth of gift cards for $1080 for our trip :)

For those who pre-ordered photopass+ with gift cards :
Where you able to use multiple giftcards online or did you have to call to pre-order??
I have only seen $50 Disney gift cards at Target. Wish the Targets around me would carry $100 Disney giftcards!

I was able to use 4 different cards on the transaction on line. There is a link for giftcards on the top somewhere:)

If you join their pharmacy rewards program and fill 5 prescriptions at Target, you also get a 5% coupon. You can use that with your red card to save 10%. I just got $1200 worth of gift cards for $1080 for our trip :)

No pharmacy rewards in NJ, just FYI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter