Target fraud alert. What to do

manning

Just for that I have requested it
I know there is another thread. This will save going thru it for this

At least put a fraud alert onto your credit report.

It's easy, just call them. Unlike placing a freeze you only have to contact one of the credit bureaus and they alert the other two.

An alert stays active for 90 days so you will have to renew it.

Call who? Target?

They are referring to calling any one of the three credit bureaus...Experian, Transunion or Equifax. By calling one, they will notify the other 2 bureaus.

If you used any credit cards, I would suggest calling your credit card company and asking for a new card with a new number just to be safe. It's a good thing to do with any debit cards too, just call the bank associated with your debit card.

If you used any credit cards, I would suggest calling your credit card company and asking for a new card with a new number just to be safe. It's a good thing to do with any debit cards too, just call the bank associated with your debit card.

:thumbsup2 This is what I did. It's much easier to cancel a card than it is to deal with clearing up fraud after the fact.

You can go online and do so.
Go to experian, transunion or equifax.

Just do 1 and they will notify the other 2.
The alert will stay for 90 days.

I already had a credit freeze on my accounts since the state of SC got hacked last year now after this target thing, I just called visa and told them to get me a new card.

Honestly - I think a fraud alert is overkill (I used to work for both a bank and a credit card company). Just cancel a card that you used at Target the past few weeks and request a new number. That will do it. If you didn't shop at Target with a card between those dates, then you don't have to worry about that card. Honestly - a fraud alert on your credit report is going to cause YOU headaches down the road (NO more instant credit, no more internet credit, etc...you'll have to PROVE who you are to anyone pulling your report - and I'm talking private things like your SS card and drivers license, etc...things *I* wouldn't want a general cashier at a store seeing).

I called Target to cancel my card tonight (I, thankfully, did not use my debit card there) and they did so. I actually closed my acct - was going to do it after the new year anyway (we are going cc free) so this saved me the trouble later. But it took MANY calls to get through to someone (busy for at least 25 calls!). And even then I got someone overseas who kept saying "that sounds urgent" to everything I said (it was REALLY weird the context she used the word "urgent" lol). But it got done. :)

I called Chase and requested new cards/account numbers. This seems a. Lot easier than waiting to see if fraudulent charges show up, of course I will still keep an eye on the account, but why wait for something bad to happen? Of course, Chase overnighted us my husbands card, but not mine...maybe it's a hint that I need to slow down the holiday shopping (thankfully I do have a different card I can use in the meantime):thumbsup2

I went to Target one time during that period. Friday my bank called me and told me they were re-issuing my debit card and my current card would be cancelled as soon as I activated the new card.

We had a credit alert from the DSW shoes thing and it was a mess. WE couldn't even get credit! We tried to get financing for something I forget what (really small not like a house or car) and we had to call and answer all of these questions like previous addresses back 20 yrs. it was a mess!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter