Taking Wine to Dining Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappinginontario

We're traveling with friends and the question has been asked about taking wine to the main dining rooms. I believe you can take a bottle and pay a corkage fee to have it opened.

This may be a silly question but at the risk of being thought of as 'silly' I'll ask on my friend's behalf.

Can you carry an open glass of wine from your room to the dining rooms and consume it there?

Disney policy states,
  • 'Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.'
Are the dining rooms considered to be public areas?

We're traveling with friends and the question has been asked about taking wine to the main dining rooms. I believe you can take a bottle and pay a corkage fee to have it opened.

This may be a silly question but at the risk of being thought of as 'silly' I'll ask on my friend's behalf.

Can you carry an open glass of wine from your room to the dining rooms and consume it there?

Disney policy states,
Yes. The dining rooms are considered to be public areas. We were able to open a bottle of wine in Promenade Lounge onboard the Wonder a number of years ago. They charged us the corking fee.

There are people who "just carry a glass of their personal wine" from their rooms into the dining rooms and are not charged. But it's pretty much skirting the policy.

Disney policy states,

People do it because the average CM walking around has no way of knowing if you bought that wine through room service or bought it at one of the many lounges and are now bringing it to dinner. It is technically against policy but they have no way of knowing for sure that the wine came from your room unless your room steward catches you leaving with it but I've never heard of them stopping anyone so it is up to you. We just pay the corking fee if we are bringing on because we never know if we want one or two glasses at dinner.

I fully appreciate DCL's position and try not to abuse it, but on occasion we have brought a glass of our "personal" wine into dinner (late seating). We usually enjoy a glass of wine in our room as we get cleaned up and if we haven't finished the glass, we'll take it with us. I'm just as equally likely to bring a glass of wine from the piano bar, which we sometimes like to visit before going in to dinner. Ironically, if I bring a glass of wine to dinner, either from my room or from the piano lounge, I'm more likely to buy a bottle to enjoy with dinner. I suppose I could leave my half finished glass of wine in our room until our return, but I don't, nor do I gulp it down prior to leaving the room.

We take two bottles each on every cruise (7). If you use the room glasses to take a drink to the MDR they have no way of knowing if that is soda, wine or whisky. A wine glass might be a giveaway. We use the room glasses all the time and are never questioned/charged.

We just went on the Fantasy and no one bats an eye at taking wine out of your stateroom. We would walk out and the host just asked how our day was.. never asked about wine. He even provided glasses and cleaned them daily. We did carry to the dining room once or twice and they don't say anything as said before, they can't tell where it came from. I'm going to take this opportunity to say that the drinks on the Fantasy were extremely weak. I had a Mojito and couldn't tell if they even put anything in it. We gave up a couple days in and just drank our wine and I got straight bourbon once. The wine pours from the bar are pretty full which was nice to see if you do buy from the bartender or servers.

Apart from scrappinginontario's post, this is why we can't have nice perks people. Abuse of the system.

I didn't say I do it. We usually buy a wine package onboard and if we have brought our own we take it to the dinning room and pay the corking fee.

Two bottles won't last very long! Is it two bottles per person (passenger? Adult?) or room?

Interesting point about walking to dinner with a drink. Glad to hear they are reasonable about it, after all it is vacation!

How does it work at ports....you can buy at duty free, but can't use it until you get off the shop?

Two bottles won't last very long! Is it two bottles per person (passenger? Adult?) or room?

Interesting point about walking to dinner with a drink. Glad to hear they are reasonable about it, after all it is vacation!

How does it work at ports....you can buy at duty free, but can't use it until you get off the shop?
2 bottles of wine or champagne (750ml max) for each guest 21 and over may be brought on board on embarkation and from each port of call. Should be enough.

2 bottles of wine or champagne (750ml max) for each guest 21 and over may be brought on board on embarkation and from each port of call. Should be enough.
Yes I'd hope so then! I can't remember where I read that anything bought at ports is packed for debarkation, can't be used on the ship...?

Yes I'd hope so then! I can't remember where I read that anything bought at ports is packed for debarkation, can't be used on the ship...?
That's true for other alcoholic purchases (spirits), not wine or beer. As well as the duty free shop onboard purchases. You pick them up on debarkation morning near the exit doors.

Corporate greed or doing as you want regardless? :rolleyes:
:idea: Don't like the rules, cruise another line with rules that you do like. ;)

Ruining a great perk for everyone else is greedy

I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that perks are taken away because of the passengers behavior? Did DCL come out and say they were limiting alcohol because of the way people behaved on the cruise? The only time I have been over-served was on a Disney Cruise Ship...like wasted...so I conclude that the policy was limited to increase on board alcohol purchases, aka corporate greed.

...or corporate greed. That's always an option, too. :rotfl2:
Serious question: why is it that when a company does something to increase their cash flow it is labeled greed, while someone breaking the rules to save money is not considered greed?

That's true for other alcoholic purchases (spirits), not wine or beer. As well as the duty free shop onboard purchases. You pick them up on debarkation morning near the exit doors.
Thanks that makes sense now! So bring the spirits onboard with us :)

Thanks that makes sense now! So bring the spirits onboard with us :)
You can't bring spirits onboard with you. Unless you want DCL to hold it for you til the end of the cruise. The only alcoholic beverages you can bring onboard (and keep with you for consuming while onboard) are wine or beer.

Serious question: why is it that when a company does something to increase their cash flow it is labeled greed, while someone breaking the rules to save money is not considered greed?
My understanding of a corking fee is that it should reflect a serving and storing fee for the product. If you are not being served but rather walking in with it, I don't see the conflict. When I read the rule to say no drinking in public places....my question was how does this apply to hallways, decks, etc -- from the sound of it, you can walk around with your drinks?

You can't bring spirits onboard with you. Unless you want DCL to hold it for you til the end of the cruise. The only alcoholic beverages you can bring onboard (and keep with you for consuming while onboard) are wine or beer.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter