Taking Bumps

ktglads

DIS Veteran
Okay, I have looked up my flights and I can see that there are very few seats left on my flight back home. I am totally willing to take a bump, basically so that I can take another trip later in the year for a lot less money. Does anyone know if there is anything special that I have to do like can I pre-volunteer or tell a ticket agent or something? I really would not mind having to take another day off from work if I had to. Does anyone have any inside info on this?

By the way, we are flying Delta if that matters.

Thanks!

Dont do anything special except...

1. Get to the airport early.

2. If you must check in at the main counter, after getting your boarding pass ask about volunteering. Sometimes they will just tll you to ask the same question at the gate.

3. After security check tell the gate agent you are interested in volunteering.

Your chances of being chosen are better if you don't have checked baggage.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Just because there are few open seats on the map doesn't mean the flight is close to a sell out. Many seats appear occupied but are really being held (exit row, elite seating, etc.)

If you know how to log into www.itn.net under expert mode (this is tricky setting) you can check to see the availability on the flight (NOT JUST OPEN SEATS). If you don't you can PM or post your flights and dates I can tell you what the flight looks like from the airline's perspective.

Originally posted by EEyorelover22
I don't want to get bumped. How can we avoid it? Any suggestions?

involuntary bumps are very rare. Don't sweat it. Arrive in adequate time to check luggage, get boarding cards and clear security. Board when your row is called.

If the flilght is oversold they will ask for volunteers to get bumped. They will generally be offered some type of compensation that is comensurate with how long they will be delayed due to the bump. If no one volunteers (even more rare) they keep upping the compensation and usually people will get off if the offer is good enough. If arrive at your gate late (usually called the 10 minute) rule they can involuntarily bump you and give your seat away.

I hope you're right. I think it will help that we connect from an early flight and will check in very early in the morning and be checked all the way through and we have a decent lay over. At least I hope so! Our original flight was already canceled and we had to move.

The last time we went, a family was bumped. I would have cried on the spot. I'll keep my fingers crossed and get there early.

Originally posted by prncess674
Just because there are few open seats on the map doesn't mean the flight is close to a sell out. Many seats appear occupied but are really being held (exit row, elite seating, etc.)

If you know how to log into www.itn.net under expert mode (this is tricky setting) you can check to see the availability on the flight (NOT JUST OPEN SEATS). If you don't you can PM or post your flights and dates I can tell you what the flight looks like from the airline's perspective.
Would you check flights for me please? They are Song #2517 July 23 and Song #2514 July 31. Thanks so much!

Originally posted by cpl100
Would you check flights for me please? They are Song #2517 July 23 and Song #2514 July 31. Thanks so much!

It is way too early to determine anything. If you PM me a few days before your flight I will check then. You will need to include flight numbers, departure times and departure cities and arrival cities.

We were flying out of MSP to Orlando last year and had a stop in Cincinnati. The Delta representive told us the second leg into Orlando was way overbooked and would we be willing to consider another flight. Like most people, my gut reaction was that I was on vacation and I wasn't going to let anything mess up our plans. However, after hearing the offer, I couldn't refuse.

We took a flight flying at the same time into Tampa instead of Orlando. For our inconvenience we received a first class upgrade on the trip to Tampa. A limo ride from Tampa to the Orlando airport. We also received $250 per person ($1000 total for my family) for future Delta trips in the form of vouchers. Then, while I was waiting for the paperwork to be done, my daughter started complaining that she was hungry. I looked at the Delta rep, he looked at her, and then gave me $50 worth of food vouchers for use at the airport.

It ended up setting us behind about 1.5 hours (drive time from Tampa to Orlando) but allowed our kids their first limo ride, their first "First Class" plane ride, and we also were able to take another trip to Disney last year because of the $1000 in vouchers. The best part was that the tickets were bought when Delta used to have the "super sales" and we only paid $98/rt for the original tickets.

Can anyone tell me how to check if the flight is full? We're flying on May 30th out of Cleveland on Continental and I would like to find this out also. Thanks.

Originally posted by lailah
Can anyone tell me how to check if the flight is full? We're flying on May 30th out of Cleveland on Continental and I would like to find this out also. Thanks.

If you email me your dates, flight numbers, departure and arrival cities I can check for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter