Switched from Poly to Beach Club - Right Decision?

chicagodisneygoer

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I had a standard view room at Poly and switched to a standard view room at Beach Club but I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I changed mostly due to the possibility of construction noise/view but BC is also around $600 cheaper total for our trip. I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should switch back while I can or choose another resort all together. Here's our trip details:

-Two adults, two kids (4 and 7)
-One day at MK, one day at Epcot
-Hoping to snag a reservation at 'Ohana
-Wanting a resort with a small-kid friendly pool, easy park transit, and good food

Thanks for any feedback! This sub has been such a great resource planning our first trip. :)

With 2 kids, one day MK and one day EP, it's a tough call. The option to just walk to/from EP from BC is really nice - no waiting for any transportation! Then you'd likely bus to MK from there. But at Poly, you can monorail to MK, and walk to TTC to monorail to EP. You want 'Ohana, so Poly is obvious there. Also, a small, kid-friendly pool? If it were my kids and they got a look at that Stormalong Bay pool at BC, there were be no changing their minds what they want to do - and that is not small! So the lean, by my logic, might be Poly - but $600 cheaper? That's some extra for G+ and meals!

BC is one of our favorites, so that's always our slant. But Poly might make more sense for your situation, for this trip. You don't have a bad choice, though!!

Given that choice I would choose Poly straight up over BC as far as the resort feel….the $600 savings would probably lead me to switch to BC though as that is pretty significant amount to use for meals/drinks etc

Hmm, the $600 cheaper would sell me but I don't think you can go wrong with either. 9 times out of 10 I recommend Epcot area resorts because of their convenience but with 1 day at Epcot and the monorail access from Poly, I'm not sure the convenience factor is big for this trip.

There's nothing small about Stormalong Bay. You have to exit the main pool and cross the walkway to get to the main water slide. Is it doable? 100%. It's just not small at all.

-One day at MK, one day at Epcot
-Hoping to snag a reservation at 'Ohana
-Wanting a resort with a small-kid friendly pool, easy park transit, and good food
You went in the opposite direction on all three points.

Worse access to MK, slightly better access to Epcot (through the back entrance, which I don't prefer). Worse access to Ohana. Much larger and more chaotic pool.

I really think you made the right call. The pool, of course, but also I find Poly very difficult to just grab a quick snack and there are several places to do that at BC. And the walk to Epcot is the best kept secret in all WDW.
OP said they want a small pool. Stormalong Bay is a lot of things, but it ain't small.

Both great options for adults and for your kids. Pools are excellent at both. Great quick service at both. If it is cheaper, I'd stay at BCV. If cost was no object, I'd probably still pick BCV because of the pool and walk to EP.

But I'd be happy with either.

You went in the opposite direction on all three points.

Worse access to MK, slightly better access to Epcot (through the back entrance, which I don't prefer). Worse access to Ohana. Much larger and more chaotic pool.

OP said they want a small pool. Stormalong Bay is a lot of things, but it ain't small.
There is an EXTREMELY quiet small pool at BC. I was there during the summer and there were like 5 people in the area total.

There is an EXTREMELY quiet small pool at BC. I was there during the summer and there were like 5 people in the area total.
That's fine, and I think there's a case to be made for BC over Poly in a general sense or on a longer trip, especially if you're saving a bunch of money. But for a two-day trip that includes Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Ohana, I think Poly makes way more sense for OP in particular.

That's fine, and I think there's a case to be made for BC over Poly in a general sense or on a longer trip, especially if you're saving a bunch of money. But for a two-day trip that includes Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Ohana, I think Poly makes way more sense for OP in particular.
Fair. I'm personally biased here- on my last trip, I split between AKL and Poly.

Poly was SO SO busy. Someone said it has great quick service...I dunno. I feel like BC has way more options. Unless you want sushi for breakfast. Haha.

Stormalong Bay is not small kid friendly IMO. The sand area is cool, but the rest of the pool is gigantic and some of it is quite deep. Expect to split up as your older child may grow bored of the sandy area. I prefer the Polynesian is every other way too.

But … for a $600 savings I would go with the Beach Club.

Frankly for an 4 and 7 year old, nothing beats Animal Kingdom Lodge. Kid friendly pool. Animals outside the balcony. The only negative is that you need to take a bus to both parks.

With what you describe Poly would 100% be a better fit.
I also understand saving 600. With the ages of your kids I personally would suggest against an EPCOT resort with all the walking involved. I have a strong feeling the 4 YO will need a stroller. I will give another suggestion that is also cheaper then POLY: WL which will be cheaper very easy to get to MK by boat or bus and the MK area resorts. Very Kid friendly with pools that will not be overwhelming. EPCOT will be a bus but same as MK from BC same bus time etc but will put in front of EPCOT where the attractions are open in the morning.
POLY is our favorite resort for theming WL is not far behind if not equal but with a different theme. The EPCOT area resorts are great when your kids are older maybe teens as the biggest upside is walking to EPCOT and HS which we have enjoyed on at least 5 stays in that area. They however lack the resort feel, grounds, food options and young kid friendly you will find at all of the deluxe MK area resorts.

I agree with pp. If you want to stay deluxe, book WL. It's quiet, cheaper, has a smaller pool area and is a boat ride to MK or monorail resorts. If you are looking to save more money, I would suggest POFQ. Although it's a moderate resort and bus transport only, it's only one bus stop and very efficient. Great QS food in Sassagoula's. A boat ride from DS for more dining options and shopping. Very kid friendly pool with an adjacent kid's waterplay area and playground.

I do not like BC for small children as the pool area is way too large and chaotic. It's very choppy which cuts off sightlines and makes it harder to get to the bathroom with littles. Also, if wanting to go to Epcot for rides, it's a LONG walk for little kids from the IG to the front of the park in the morning. It's much easier to enter from the front of the park in the morning if that is your focus.

Honestly, if you are NOT staying at the Poly, I wouldn't bother getting a ressie at Ohana. It's not worth the price IMO.

I think you made a good choice. We were die hard Poly fans for a long time. But, the Poly seems to be getting busier and busier with how popular 'Ohana is, you can't really get a seat at the bar at Tambu Lounge for just an evening drink as a hotel guest. With the addition of the DVC tower, I don't think we will ever go back to The Poly.

I finally convinced my husband a couple years ago to stray from The Poly and stay at The Yacht Club. We had an amazing time. No problem to get a seat at the bar in the evenings, the hotel was just gorgeous and never felt crowded, not to mention the amazing pool area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter