Swine Flu in WDW!!

--------------------

In 1918 we didn't have the medical knowledge that we have now - nor did we have the drugs that we have now - so that doesn't seem like a "logical" comparison to me..

Nor did we have the means to travel so far so quickly.

I'm curious (genuinely) what your "much worse" case scenario is - and what precautions you will take that are beyond "basic"..

Much worse would be if people start dying in the states from this, if the numbers of people infected explodes. If instead of it being in 6 states next week, it is in 20 states. At that point, I will avoid crowded places whenever possible, no air travel, constant hand washing, and I will start buying some supplies in the case of quarantine.

Much worse would be if people start dying in the states from this, if the numbers of people infected explodes. If instead of it being in 6 states next week, it is in 20 states. At that point, I will avoid crowded places whenever possible, no air travel, constant hand washing, and I will start buying some supplies in the case of quarantine.
-----------

Did you notice how many "if's" you had in there? You could just as easily turn that around and make your "if's": "If people don't die from this; if the number of infected people remains relatively low; if it remains in six states as opposed to 20 - we will have dodged a bullet - and I will have caused myself a lot of undue stress.." :goodvibes

You have a plan - and it sounds like a reasonable one..:thumbsup2 Meanwhile, don't waste today worrying about tomorrow..:goodvibes

People DO die and are STILL from the regular flu in every state, every flu season. Did you see the numbers I posted above?

ok..that word 'quarantine' just puts it over the top for me... Maybe I'm not worried enough, but some are making this out like that movie "Outbreak". I'm not going to freak about it now.. if it gets worse (yes, *if*) and I hear about it killing more people then of course I'd be cautious, but this 'quarantining' thing is a bit far ahead of itself.... Of course, i guess thats what some of you mean by closing the borders. Ridiculous. It's gonna get in somehow...it already has. Borders haven't stopped people before....

People DO die and are STILL from the regular flu in every state, every flu season. Did you see the numbers I posted above?

But this isn't a regular flu, is it? It's a swine/bird/human flu. Last time the swine flu hit, it killed between 20 and 50 million people. That is vastly different than the regular flu.

Because the symptoms are the same as the regular flu. Because it responds to the same treatment plan as the regular flu. And because you have an equal if not much greater chance of picking up the regular flu at WDW...no, I would not change my plans.

Thank you!

Again the media blowing everything out of proportion

I wish people would stop creating all of this hysteria and blowing everything totally out of proportion.. Just the stress alone will kill you LONG before swine flu does!!!!!!! :sad2:
Agreed. Just wash your hands frequently, exercise, take vitamins and stay healthy.

It shouldn't be hard- you should already be doing all that! :thumbsup2

According to one of the news stations yesterday, Yes it can and will stay on a surface for several days.

I have no idea if that info is correct I'm just repeating what the news station said. They have been known to be wrong.

Yes, you are right... If people would get their head out of their 244 and pay attention to the CDC and WHO, and yes, WASH your hands, cover your mouth, wash them again............. and quit posting rumors.. non facts... until the CDC says there is a case in FL, then it isn't here. I would never believe a doctor who breaks privacy of a patient anyways just so he can get his name in the news.

Hand washing 101: add water and soap to hands... scrub vigorously (make LOTS of suds) for 30 seconds or more.. rinse.. dry... throw paper towel into trash... dont know how long 30 seconds is?? sing Happy Birthday 2 times regular speed.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

ok..that word 'quarantine' just puts it over the top for me... Maybe I'm not worried enough, but some are making this out like that movie "Outbreak".

People are already being quarantined. If you or a family member gets it, you are quarantined. This is standard procedure for preventing spread of an epidemic/pandemic.

But this isn't a regular flu, is it? It's a swine/bird/human flu. Last time the swine flu hit, it killed between 20 and 50 million people. That is vastly different than the regular flu.

The time period was vastly different too.

I'm going to try and leave this thread alone now. :rotfl: It's not good for me. :thumbsup2

Unless there is a very large man, with a very large stick, stoppin me board a plane at glasgow airport....I'll be in WDW,swine flu or not. :cool2:

Not going till October mind but still,no way would i cancel.

My granddaughter made her first communion this weekend. 3/4 of the church was spanish. I told my daughter, that I hoped no one there had visited Mexico in the last week.

The time period was vastly different too.

I'm going to try and leave this thread alone now. :rotfl: It's not good for me. :thumbsup2

---------------------

I think I may have to join you..;)

It appears that having a postive attitude, keeping the known facts in perspective, and trying to encourage others to do the same is annoying to some on this thread - as well as the other one.. Sigh..

Reminds me of something my son-in-law pointed out to me one day last summer when I was really depressed.. The weather forecast for the next day was "50% chance of rain".. I immediately focused on the 50% chance of rain - whereas he saw it as 50% chance of not having rain..;) I'd rather be like him - as "annoying" as it may be to some..

I guess you and I will just have to stay on top of the facts that are coming from reputable sources and "zip our lips"..

My granddaughter made her first communion this weekend. 3/4 of the church was spanish. I told my daughter, that I hoped no one there had visited Mexico in the last week.

Why do you suppose Spanish people are more likely to visit Mexico than anyone else? And how in the world did you find a church in MA 3/4 full of people from Spain?

:rolleyes2

People are starting to act crazy now. I also think I'll back slowly away from the conversation.

:confused3
The last swine flu was in 1976 and I can't find any reported deaths anywhere near 20 to 50 million.

The last time we were worried about a pandemic was last year or the year before with the bird flu and that never happened. Things have changed and medicine has advanced since the 1918 flu. I'm no more worried about this swine flu then any other strain. Like I said before I wouldn't increase my chances of getting infected by visiting anyplace with known confirmed cases but that is because I am concerned about my ds. But I certainly don't think its time to panic about any of this. My guess it will just fizzle out like the last bird flu pandemic scare the media was trying to feed to us.

The news is TOTALLY overblowing this situation and creating a panic, they really are.

There is no Flu or H1N1 or whatever you want to call it now in Florida. I live in NJ and earlier today they said they had 5 cases of it now.....well at the 10pm news 5 people came in on Sunday with the symptoms, one just recently came back from Mexico in March they treated said person and all were released so there is nothing in New Jersey.

Same thing for New York, was anything CONFIRMED that it was this Swine Flu? Or just a flu?

I just find it rather odd that now out of the blue this is happening and we are hearing mainly Mexico City where this is happening. Didn't the US just have some issues with Mexico? Not looking to start any debate but I find it rather ODD that this happened all of a sudden and we are prepared yet Mexico is the only area where it is confirmed and 20 people have died. That was confirmed NOT 152 those are "SUSPECTED" cases.

As for traveling in and out of Mexico right now, don't see an issue or else they would have put a complete stop to it. I think there is something else going on.

--------------------
I haven't read a single post that has stated, "Oh - it won't happen here.." I may have missed it, but I've been following this thread pretty closely the past two days.. It is here - the swine flu, that is.. However, it's still too early to know exactly how many cases there are going to be - if most of the cases are going to be "mild" (as many have already been reported) - and if the fatalities will be any higher than the fatalities that occur from the "regular" flu year after year..

In 1918 we didn't have the medical knowledge that we have now - nor did we have the drugs that we have now - so that doesn't seem like a "logical" comparison to me..

Exactly. Secondary infection was a big part of the problem in 1918, but that was before antibiotics. I don't think it is "head in the sand" denial to assume that will make a difference this time around, as will other medical advances.

I don't think anyone is saying that this doesn't merit concern, only that it doesn't warrant the amount of airtime and hysteria that it is getting at this point. Yes, it is alarming to see how quickly a virus can spread in our mobile society, but so far this isn't a serious, life threatening illness and there's no reason to rush past common sense precaution into closed borders, quarantine, and panic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter