• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sure signs of not planning

Man, if I was going on a cruise, a trip to europe, or somewhere out west, etc. even if I didn't have all the tours until I got there, I would have a plan and do some research. That's way to much money not to have any idea what to do or where to go...

I love the planning- it's part of the fun! But some people don't. To each their own :) I'm plagued by over-planning and anxiety in daily life, so it's really fun when it pays off big time in Disney.

I agree! My DH thinks me staying up till midnight and getting up at 6am on my day off to get my ADR's & fastpasses is a big, steaming "cup O' crazy". Yet no one in my family complains when we get to eat at Belle's castle, Narcoosees or go on Buzz Lightyear or Soarin without a long wait. Ok, I admit it, I secretly love coming up with my Disney "game plan" MONTHS before its time to make my ADR's. It makes me happy! :yay:

Now back to the thread topic;
You know someone hasn't planned when you hear. "Let's go meet Anna & Elsa, how bad could the line be?":cutie:

Two instances come to mind. One was at Pop over Christmas season...the day before Christmas, a man was trying to make a hotel reservation and the CM told him that she was sorry, there was not an open room anywhere on property. The second was Christmas week a few years later, the nice CM was explaining to the guest that the only park open was EPCOT (we were at EPCOT and the man was yelling that he could not believe that all the other parks were full and that he spent money for tickets and could not go where he wanted.)

The few instances of not planning made me sad actually. We were entering the FP+ line for 7DMT (standby at this point was at 90 minutes and it was pretty darn hot) and a family comes up to the ride podium with two young children in hand and tries to scan their Magic Bands, but Mickey turns blue. Turns out, they thought because they had Magic Bands they automatically had FP+ for every ride. Next family comes up and asks where they get their paper FP+ for the ride. I felt bad for the families and for the CM's as it seems they are fielding these FP issues all day long (people not knowing legacy FP is gone and/or people not knowing how to utilize the FP+ system)

ohhh...I just thought of one more example of poor choices that was mind numbing. Shortly after HP opened at IOA, we where there and wanted to go on the ride, we arrived in the HP land and it was insane with people everywhere. We saw a line leading all the way back towards the entrance where the train is parked and asked the last person if they were in line, to which they said yes. We asked if it was the line for the ride, to which we got no response. We went up to the next group in line and again asked if they were in line, and again we were told yes. We asked if they were in line for the ride and they sheepishly said they did not know. Low and behold, both groups were in line that led into one of the gift shops. It never ceases to amaze me, two large families in line and they had no idea what they were even waiting for. Our happy ending...we asked a few more questions to the correct people and low and behold we found the single rider line and were on the ride less than 20 minutes later. Lesson learned, don't go with the flow, ask a few simple questions and things can go amazingly smooth.

my first trip in 1999 was totally impromptu. It was dh, mil and fil. We knew enough to stay at SOG, what each park was and that we could use the transportation. We also knew a few of the highlight rides. We totally missed allllll the restaurants. We left the parks to eat, lololol!

The few instances of not planning made me sad actually. We were entering the FP+ line for 7DMT (standby at this point was at 90 minutes and it was pretty darn hot) and a family comes up to the ride podium with two young children in hand and tries to scan their Magic Bands, but Mickey turns blue. Turns out, they thought because they had Magic Bands they automatically had FP+ for every ride. Next family comes up and asks where they get their paper FP+ for the ride. I felt bad for the families and for the CM's as it seems they are fielding these FP issues all day long (people not knowing legacy FP is gone and/or people not knowing how to utilize the FP+ system)
It is. Every day. All the time. No FPs assigned, they try to explain to go to the kiosk...its almost never ending..

ohhh...I just thought of one more example of poor choices that was mind numbing. Shortly after HP opened at IOA, we where there and wanted to go on the ride, we arrived in the HP land and it was insane with people everywhere. We saw a line leading all the way back towards the entrance where the train is parked and asked the last person if they were in line, to which they said yes. We asked if it was the line for the ride, to which we got no response. We went up to the next group in line and again asked if they were in line, and again we were told yes. We asked if they were in line for the ride and they sheepishly said they did not know. Low and behold, both groups were in line that led into one of the gift shops. It never ceases to amaze me, two large families in line and they had no idea what they were even waiting for. Our happy ending...we asked a few more questions to the correct people and low and behold we found the single rider line and were on the ride less than 20 minutes later. Lesson learned, don't go with the flow, ask a few simple questions and things can go amazingly smooth.

This was almost my exact experience the first time I rode Forbidden Journey. There were people EVERYwhere who THOUGHT they were in line for the ride, but it was just a sea of humanity. I also kept asking the right questions and found a CM who let me know about the single rider line. 2+ hour wait turned into 15 minutes!

Once at AK, I was about to get in what I thought was the line for the Safari, but my "spidey sense" started tingling, so I had my family stay put while I scouted ahead and discovered that this line was to go into the gift shop (apparently some LE merchandise was available there that day). I'm sure a lot of people in that line did not realize it wasn't for a ride. When I came back I announced to my family loudly (so others could hear in case they didn't know) "This line is for the gift shop. The Safari line is up there."

Just today I was talking to a colleague who said he went to Disney World for one day last year, on the spur of the moment, from his parents' house about an hour away. Bought tickets and made FP's on the car ride over without any knowledge as to what the rides were. Stood in line all day. Says he'll never go back.

A lot of folks are mentioning no ADRs. I had a co-worker several years who said he had been to WDW many times. He was telling me about his upcoming trip for Spring Break in (at the time) a few weeks. He was really excited because he had purchased the DxDP. He was savvy enough to call it by the correct name. But when I asked him where he had reservations, he said he wasn't making any. I thought to myself, "Those are going to be the most expensive chicken tenders he will ever eat!"
Ouch!

I think you misunderstood. The baby didn't do any planning. You know, because babies hardly ever make plans. Tee Hee.

Get thyself to the nearest pharmacy and purchase a bottle of chill pills. They meant the baby didn't do any planning, not the parents.

Why does everyone have to take offense to everything in today's culture?

LOL! Read the post you are quoting again! The babies don't plan, not the families that take them! It was suppose to be funny;)

My bad I apologize profusely. I must have been in a serious mood that night when I wrote that. I honestly usually do not get that sensitive and worked up about things. I honestly wasn't judging anyone but somehow was hypersensitive and offended. I think I needed a drink or something to cause some relaxation. Everyone is right I reread and get the humor.....not sure how I missed it the first time as I usually am a fan of dry humor. (hangs head in shame after slapping forehead on counter and shaking it):guilty:

I'm sure there are a few others I haven't read yet who corrected me. God I feel so stupid now.

Last edited:
OK now that I have already embarrassed myself I'll add to the actual thread.

Not that this applies as much these days because of cameras on phones (which are better than some digital cameras from the past) but not brining a camera. This was us on our first trip in 2000. I had done so much reading and planning and made reservations and had plans to the point where I drove DH nuts and he drove me to tears at one point. Planned everything but somehow we did not bring a camera. We brought a video camera and took 9 hours of videos, of which there may be a grand total of 30 minutes of our oldest DD who was 3 at the time. I was so upset when I went back to watch them when she was older. Lesson learned.......take photos and videos of your kids more than the stuff.

A relaxed family with happy smiles on their faces enjoying the parks at a leisurely pace laughing at all those planners running to there next activity on the plan.

For me the FP+ system and my Disney App are great at making it a leisurely paced day. Gone are the days that you need to rush from one side of the park to the other to get a FP. Leisure day are great too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter