Suggestions on (not) Limiting Future Podcast Cruises

mikelan6

World Traveler, Usually Optimistic
On this week's email show, John hinted that for future Podcast cruises, the guests will be limited to a few hundred on each cruise, and I wanted to say that I think it's a mistake. What is to stop anyone from booking a cruise on the same sailing with you all anyway?

I would suggest to keep it as an open sailing, but just limit the people attending the on-board events, making them a first-come, first served event. Maybe even having them choose one of the events, and not all. That way, anyone who wants to sail can go and not feel completely left out. :goodvibes

I can understand the crew's reasoning behind their thoughts on limiting the capacity of the cruise. A more personal experience is usually always positive.

I can also understand Mike's suggestion. Especially from a sales point of view.

Two podcast cruises in one year. Holy cow. That's a rather daunting task. I commend y'all for taking it on.

I am just listening to the 11/4 e-mail show. The crew was talking about how much better it is to cruise with smaller groups. They mentioned having problems putting together events for the PCC 2.O because of the size.

I hope this large group cruise workes out ok. Last year there was so much chatter and excitement for PCC 1.0 with 250 people sailing. This year there is twice the amount of people and a lot less chatter. Maybe more sailings with smaller groups is a good idea. With 6-7 hundred people will we really get to know anyone? Will the Crew be able to put together great activities that they want to do, like last year? I guess we will find out soon. I know I plan to have fun!!

Just to throw in my .02

I really wouldn't mind if there weren't any Podcast events pre-planned.

As long as we got a group space discount, I think we're all capable of making our own "Fun on a Boat" :dance3:

IMO - we've all come to expect that the Podcast crew/Dreams Unlimited have to do something bigger and better everytime something is planned. It's not necessary.

We should all be happy just to have the opportunity to travel with old and new friends :goodvibes

Just to throw in my .02

As long as we got a group space discount, I think we're all capable of making our own "Fun on a Boat" :dance3:

IMO - we've all come to expect that the Podcast crew/Dreams Unlimited have to do something bigger and better everytime something is planned. It's not necessary.

We should all be happy just to have the opportunity to travel with old and new friends :goodvibes
I don't know from the experience of PCC 1.0, but I kind of like both the Podcast Crew's idea to limit the number and do less events and your idea. As much as I am sure everyone wants to meet the podcast crew and have events, sometimes the fun is just in meeting people you have talked to online. And hey, we all love Disney, right? What better excuse do you need than meeting friends, Disney, and a group discount?

We didn't really get a group discount, did we? I think the price from Dreams was the same as when I checked it through the DCL site.

Personally, I am looking forward to the events that the podcast team plans. They can pull magic out of the hat by getting special guests that I would not otherwise experience.

We didn't really get a group discount, did we? I think the price from Dreams was the same as when I checked it through the DCL site.

Personally, I am looking forward to the events that the podcast team plans. They can pull magic out of the hat by getting special guests that I would not otherwise experience.

We did not get a discount, but they are more than making up for it with the added benefits of the concert, lectures, parties and gifts.

We did not get a discount, but they are more than making up for it with the added benefits of the concert, lectures, parties and gifts.

Exactly what I thought!

I am really looking forward to all the added benefits.

And really looking forward to meeting everyone. Or, at least as many of the "everyone" of such a large group as I can manage to meet.

This is gonna be so much fun!

Just to throw in my .02

I agree with you. As a cruiser on PCC 1.0 I had a blast just getting to know my friends better. My one suggestion after the cruise was to plan fewer events and just allow people to have fun.

I don't expect the DIS to be bigger and better than everyone else. I've never been a fan of the DU because of wonderful prizes. I've been a fan because of wonderful people.

yeah I felt there were too many events on PCC 1.0 Don't get me wrong, it was lots of fun, but there were times I was questioning why I was getting up so early when I'm supposed to be on vacation. I had planned to not attend quite so many events this time, but as it turns out there are less events anyway. I think the best part about PCC 1.0 was simply knowing that everywhere you walked on the ship, you ran into a DIS person. That will be even more true this time around which makes it so much fun. I think some of the best times we had last time were in the clubs chatting and having a drink(or 2 or 3 :rotfl:)

I'm looking forward to making more friends on PCC 2.0.

I agree that PCC 1.0 was special. Val & I struck up (and solidified) some wonderful friendships on that ship. We had met some DIS'ers at earlier events like Mousefest (that was earlier, wasn't it?) and Bawb's memorial meet, but being on board the ship with all those folks was really great. Then adding Disapalozza to it just reinforced how nice these folks are.

Makes us want to hit every event. :grouphug:

I can see it from both points of view. From friends of mine who have gone on an ABD trip (and from my personal experience going on a European tour group trip years ago), there is something special about a smaller, more intimate group. I think it makes planning for events easier and the events themselves more enjoyable rather than overwhelming. With that being said, I highly doubt the crew is going to limit it as drastically as some are thinking. If they do though, I don't think I'd mind it. The way I interpreted it was that less people would be able to go to the special PCC events which might have an added benefit depending on what those events are. Anyone can book that same cruise though. Either way, I have full faith in the planning of upcoming cruises.

Just my two cents. :)

I'm really looking forward to the whole experience. Several things...meeting a bunch of new people who are just as nuts about Disney as I am (maybe), experiencing DCL for the first time, a couples massage on Castaway Cay...I could go on and on.

As for the "intimacy" of the experience, I think it is what you make of it. If you talk to the person sitting next to you at dinner, your conversation may lead to a lifelong friendship. That doesn't depend on group size. It's your choice to be as outgoing or anonymous as you want.

Now for the podcast crew, it's a different story. For them to "spread the love around" and meet everyone, they're gonna have to work their butts off! The larger group will now doubt make it a busier, less intimate experience for them, but one I hope they'll still love sharing with us. I can understand from their perspective wanting a smaller group.

But for those of us in the peanut gallery, I think it's up to us to make the experience as intimate as we want it to be!

Can't wait...see you in 4 weeks!!! :yay:

~John

Now for the podcast crew, it's a different story. For them to "spread the love around" and meet everyone, they're gonna have to work their butts off! The larger group will now doubt make it a busier, less intimate experience for them, but one I hope they'll still love sharing with us. I can understand from their perspective wanting a smaller group.

But for those of us in the peanut gallery, I think it's up to us to make the experience as intimate as we want it to be!

~John

I'm looking forward to being able to "spread the love around" as well. Im sure all my other PCC 1.0 alumni will make an effort to be inclusive and not just hang with folks we already know.

I'm looking forward to being able to "spread the love around" as well. Im sure all my other PCC 1.0 alumni will make an effort to be inclusive and not just hang with folks we already know.

You mean I have to be nice to the n00bz?

I am just listening to the 11/4 e-mail show. The crew was talking about how much better it is to cruise with smaller groups. They mentioned having problems putting together events for the PCC 2.O because of the size.

I hope this large group cruise workes out ok. Last year there was so much chatter and excitement for PCC 1.0 with 250 people sailing. This year there is twice the amount of people and a lot less chatter. Maybe more sailings with smaller groups is a good idea. With 6-7 hundred people will we really get to know anyone? Will the Crew be able to put together great activities that they want to do, like last year? I guess we will find out soon. I know I plan to have fun!!

On Podcast 1.0 we got to know so many people. I hope we can find the familiar faces in the crowd this time. My opinion is the smaller sailing allowed the listeners more contact with the crew. How can they possibly talk to each person in this larger group? I know the events will be fun even if not as many as last year. I am looking forward to seeing old friends and hopefully meeting a couple more.

I'm really looking forward to the whole experience. Several things...meeting a bunch of new people who are just as nuts about Disney as I am (maybe), experiencing DCL for the first time, a couples massage on Castaway Cay...I could go on and on.

As for the "intimacy" of the experience, I think it is what you make of it. If you talk to the person sitting next to you at dinner, your conversation may lead to a lifelong friendship. That doesn't depend on group size. It's your choice to be as outgoing or anonymous as you want.

~John

Besides getting a chance to meet and spend some time with everyone, there is another consideration that led to considering limiting the size of the next cruise.

With a group as large as the one on the upcoming PCC, there is difficulty in finding space that will accommodate us for even a single event.

The only space on the Magic and Wonder that comfortably holds this many folks is the Walt Disney Theater and DCL uses that space extensively.

We dont want to ever be placed in the position of turning away any of our guests from a scheduled event because the space available to us has reached capacity.

This has been the biggest hurdle on this upcoming cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter