Suggestions for day trip from DLR

Men are so funny, aren't they?
Yep! When all else fails, and I can't figure him out, I just tell myself, 'It must be a male thing!" :lmao::rotfl: I'm sure he must say the same thing to himself in reverse!:lmao:
I am glad you ordered the guide! Yes, don't even bother with the actual beach part of Catalina unless you are there for a weekend or longer. The beach is the size of a postage stamp, and it doesn't have long stretches of white sand or anything - in fact, they had to import some of their sand from Redondo and other beaches in the past because Catalina was all rocks at one point! I just posted some pictures (two posts with photos) over on KCMike's Catalina thread, so you can get a little idea of what the town looks like and the good photo opportunities you would have! I have tons of pictures, but that is a small sampling!
Thanks Sherry! I just saw the photos and they are lovely. I'll make sure to let you know what we decide...If I can ever pin him down to actually discuss anything!:rolleyes1 He's one of those people who always says things like, "You figure it out; decide and let me know." And then when I let him know, he says, "What? I don't want to go there. Why don't we go _______ instead?" :headache::rolleyes1 So we'll see...Men...Can't live with 'em, and can't kill 'em! :lmao::rotfl2:

DS wants to go to Knotts. It looks like fun! I was wondering, if we really enjoy it, if any of you know if they allow people to upgrade their admission to an annual pass like DL does? Also, are the crowds insanely busy on Saturday? (I'm imagining all the blocked out DAP people crowding into Knotts!):scared1:Is it possible to do it all in half a Saturday so I can do something else that involves just a little bit more culture?:eek:

I also saw they have Soak City water park. Is that a fun water park? Is it clean? Do we have to worry about anything like crime, etc.?
Can Knotts or Soak city be done all in one Saturday?

I really wanted to do something different and get out of the themeparks for a day, but DH wants to go to Seaworld & San Diego Zoo, DS wants Knotts. I wanted a Tour of San Diego, or Getty Museum, or Cabrillo NP/Point Loma, or Coronado, or Catalina, or Long Beach Aquarium, or an LA sightseeing tour -- we could drive or shuttle for convenience...and my Dh pulled a Clark Griswold and said 1/2 jokingly/half seriously, "I know honey, how about we have an alone day?" :rolleyes1 So, if I'm going to a park, I think I prefer Knotts because the rides look more like my speed. Kind of funny, when I mentioned the LA Tour on the double decker bus, DH said, "I'm not riding in one of those things!" As if he thought he might run into someone he knew or something. :rolleyes1 This was after he shot down driving there and touring on our own.:headache:
The Seaworld in San Diego doesn't seem to have as many thrill rides as Orlando, IIRC. I researched it back in 2001, so my info may be off. I thought the SD SW was a lot better than the Orlando version of it from what I had researched at the time, but it didn't appear that way when I just checked out the SDSW website. Am I way off base? Is there a lot to see and do there?

We're thinking of going to the Santa Monica Pier area for a sunset dinner at The Lobster, or Gladstones in Malibu, and maybe have a look around there after. Is there a beach access from the Pier or either restaurant? Or is there somewhere else you can suggest to eat and see the beach area?

DH also wants to know if there is anywhere near DL that does a clam bake type dinner? That's what he really wants to eat... Thanks for any ideas/info.

Yep! When all else fails, and I can't figure him out, I just tell myself, 'It must be a male thing!" :lmao::rotfl: I'm sure he must say the same thing to himself in reverse!:lmao:

Thanks Sherry! I just saw the photos and they are lovely. I'll make sure to let you know what we decide...If I can ever pin him down to actually discuss anything!:rolleyes1 He's one of those people who always says things like, "You figure it out; decide and let me know." And then when I let him know, he says, "What? I don't want to go there. Why don't we go _______ instead?" :headache::rolleyes1 So we'll see...Men...Can't live with 'em, and can't kill 'em! :lmao::rotfl2:

Thanks! I am glad you liked the pictures I posted!:goodvibes At least it seems like your DH is starting to have a voice in the whole plan, whereas before he was not speaking up much. The only 'trouble' is, he speaks up after you have already begun to narrow down and decide on your plans!! MEN! San Diego is lovely, but it is a long drive to and fro. Long Beach is much closer to Anaheim and would be convenient for visiting the Aquarium, the Queen Mary or hopping on the Catalina Express. But San Diego is doable if necessary.

Knott's is definitiely the closest to Disneyland in distance. It is just a few miles from Disneyland, basically, so that would be the least amount of travel involved. Honestly, even though I have lived in SoCal all my life, I went to Knotts as a kid and then kind of lost interest in it as an adult! We used to have all kinds of 'amusement park' type of places out here - Marineland, Busch Gardens, Enchanted Village (Japanese Village), etc. - but DLR, Knotts, Sea World, Magic Mountain (now Six Flags) and Universal Studios are the ones who stood the test of time. None of them compare to DLR, though. You really notice the lack of 'magic' at the other parks. Sure, Knotts has a certain charm to it, and it has the famous chicken dinner and the famous preserves for sale and what not, but it just doesn't stack up to DLR. But as far as geography, it will be the most convenenient trip for you because of its proximity to DLR.

Oh and Gladstones is in Malibu, by the way - at least it was the last time I was down that way!

Until my post got moved to the Southern California planning board, I never knew there was another section for SoCal Themeparks! :cool1:I just found that out a little while ago. The things we learn...:surfweb:

You're right! I spaced on that one. Do you know if there is beach access from Gladstones?
Thanks!

It has been so long since I have been to Gladstones that I forget what kind of beach access there is. The restaurant itself is pretty much on or overlooking the beach, but I cannot recall for the life of me if it is more on the water or on the sand portion of the beach and what the actual footpath to the sand would be! I wouldn't want to attempt to give you directions that end up leading you into the ocean!!

Hopefully someone else here will know about the beach access!

It has been so long since I have been to Gladstones that I forget what kind of beach access there is. The restaurant itself is pretty much on or overlooking the beach, but I cannot recall for the life of me if it is more on the water or on the sand portion of the beach and what the actual footpath to the sand would be! I wouldn't want to attempt to give you directions that end up leading you into the ocean!!

Hopefully someone else here will know about the beach access!

Thanks Sherry!

We used to have all kinds of 'amusement park' type of places out here - Marineland, Busch Gardens, Enchanted Village (Japanese Village), etc. -

Not exactly on-topic, but I put in my two cents. Is "Japanese Village" what I remember as "Japanese Deer Park"? I really miss Lion Country Safari in Irvine - I didn't know until very recently that there is still one in Florida. Before Pirates and Medieval Times, there were Wild Bill's and [something like] Kingdom of the Dancing Stallions. The sign of the Wax Museum is still there on Harbor Blvd. near KBF, although it closed years ago. Ripley's Believe It Or Not just closed.

Going even further back, I wish I could have visited Pacific Ocean Park, and rode in one of those bubbles that crossed over the ocean. I learned of it from the "Things That Aren't Here Anymore" KCET-TV show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter