Suggestions for day trip from DLR

DisneySuiteFreak

DIS Veteran
We're blocked out on Saturday, so we'd like to take a look at some other options for things to do that day. We'll have a car and DH is very familiar with driving in LA. I suggested Griffith's Observatory, but DH isn't big on that. :( How far is it to get to the cemetery where all the stars are entombed? Is that a touristy thing to do or too morbid? :eek: We've been to Hollywood and Graumann's. Haven't seen El Capitan. Not sure if it's worth it. Have never had a Pink's Hot Dog. Where is that?
Also we're considering Malibu Pier (Is that what it's called?) or possibly driving down to San Diego and checking out the Zoo and what else? Any suggestions? It'll be me, DH, and DS 19. I wouldn't mind checking out the nature scenes and sea life in the area. Are there places with Tide Pools I can explore? Or would I be better off going to an Aquarium and Sea World? Is it possible to do The SD zoo and Sea World in one day and then go back to Anaheim or is it so far that we should book a hotel in SD? DH is used to fighting LA traffic, so that's not really a concern. Just want to plan something a little fun and different for a change.
Thanks for any ideas!

I don't know anything about the observatory or the cemetary. But you could do a day out at Huntington or Laguna Beach and have dinner or lunch out at Universal's City Walk or something. Or you could go to Universal or Knotts.

San Diego is wonderful, but I no, you cannot drive down there and see the zoo and seaworld in one day and drive back. I mean of course it is possible, but you wouldn't have enough time at either spot to enjoy it and see enough of what they have to offer. The zoo is great and if you go there, you are already in Balboa park and you can walk around the free botanical gardens or go into one of the museums when you are done at the zoo. Or I also recommend maybe using the day to go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

But if you want a day to relax and slow down I would suggest the beach and a fun dinner out. Whatever you chose, have fun!

We either do USH or the beach for a DLR break, just depends on how we feel at the time. One trip we just lounged around the pool and the daughters(3) and DGF went shopping in DTD.

Jack

If you're into aquariums, Long Beach has the Aquarium of Pacific, about half an hour away from DLR. It's not as grand as Sea World, but a lot closer!

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

It (plus maybe a harbor cruise) would be a nice way to get out and enjoy a day off from the theme parks. Or just go to the beach!

PHXscuba

Pink's is on LaBrea, near Melrose and Santa Monica. The line is always crazy for Pink's. If you like BBQ food, there is a little hole in the wall place called The Pig also on La Brea - terrible name, but it gets great reviews.

I suggest a day trip to Catalina Island. You can catch the Catalina Express in Long Beach - right where the Queen Mary is and also the Aquarium of the Pacific. It takes about 50 minutes to get to the island, and then you can have a great, full day. You can rent a golf cart and zoom around the island - your Nikon would take some fabulous pictures of all the beautiful ocean views - and take an inland tour to see buffalo. I love it there - it is my other favorite place in SoCal besides DLR!!:goodvibes

Sea World is a great day trip but get up early and plan for a full day there especially if its open late at night as the night shows are great. Figure a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive each way. It really is a fun place with great shows and a few rides and sites.

The Zoo takes a good 1/2 day to see most. Wild Animal Park is also a 1/2 day but neither is open at night.

Lego Land is good if you have very small kids under age 7. Older would be bored.

Long Beach Aquarium is fun and would take 3-4 hours. Take the boat ride out where they bring up some mud from the ocean floor full of life. Scripps Aquarium is further down towards San Diego and is fun for 2-3 hours.

Catalina Island is a fun full day trip. Several fun attractions and sites to see and some good restaurants.

Universal Studios is another fun full day trip, about 45 minutes north of Disneyland (longer in rush hour).

Knotts Berry Farm is only 15 minutes away and is good for older kids who love big thrill rides (they do have some for smaller too). Great food even if you go to the famous restaurant outside the park.

If you are without kids a day trip to Temecula to go wine tasting is a great way to spend an afternoon.

The Observatory is incredible if you are "into" the stars, planets, and space. (We were up there the other night for a star viewing party.) They have some great exhibits and it really is a great place!

Sea World is terrific.

We LOVE the Wild Animal Park in San Diego. It's a great place if you love animals.

If you like people watching, Venice Beach is your beach of choice. Roller bladers, skaters, musclemen, jugglers, and on and on.

The Aquarium of the Pacific (in Long Beach) is amazing if you like sea life. It's a great place!

- Dreams

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I'm going to run them by my DH and DS. Keep them coming! I've got a lot of research to do!:banana::yay::dance3:

I have been wondering the same thing because we also will be there for a Sat. block out day. I'm leaning towards using that day for sleeping in, maybe some shopping around the area, and finding somewhere off site to eat that we don't have at home. I have a feeling that it will be good just to have a day to relax since we will be there a week. I'm also thinking about saving DTD for that day and just taking our time there. (If there are any stores left open! I keep hearing of stores going out of business. )

Hmmm -- w/ a 19-year old, I'd say the beach! The San Clemente pier has a place to rent wet-suits & boards. Also, there's a great seafood restaurant on the pier. Dana Point is also nice -- sometimes there are some tall ships in the harbor. You could also do a BBQ picnic there -- just pick up some charcoal & some hotdogs. Our fav Chinese restaurant EVER is in Dana Point -- the Peking Dragon.......mmmmmm!!! In-N-Out is always good too. Another fun place would be Huntington Beach -- they've got fire pits on the beach, so if you bought firewood from the grocery store, you could roast hotdogs/marshmallows on the beach while the sunsets.....careful though -- too much of that & your DS is likely to want to move! That's how my parents lost me to California for 20 years! ;)

Do a combination of the Observatory and then see a piece of Walt Disney history - all in the same park.

On Sundays, the Los Angeles Live Steamers host free minature train rides and they go past the barn that used to be in Walt's backyard. (On the 3rd Sunday of the month, the barn is open as a museum to Walt's love of trains.) www.carolwood.com

We experienced this last month and it was wonderful!

Thanks ofr the ideas eveyone!:flower3: Keep em coming! :yay::dance3:

Do a combination of the Observatory and then see a piece of Walt Disney history - all in the same park.

On Sundays, the Los Angeles Live Steamers host free minature train rides and they go past the barn that used to be in Walt's backyard. (On the 3rd Sunday of the month, the barn is open as a museum to Walt's love of trains.) www.carolwood.com

We experienced this last month and it was wonderful!

I just checked out the website and it does look wonderful! Unfortunately, I won't be in town the weekend that they do it. :( I would have loved to have seen it! Thank you for the great suggestion! Maybe next trip out -- and I'll plan in advance so I can make sure to book it around the 3rd Sunday of the month.:)

I was looking at the LongBeach Aquarium and Scrippts Institution of Oceanography - Birch Aquarium. Both look good. Do any of you have any idea which is better and why?
And lastly, did you ever hear of the San Diego Go card? They have all kinds of things you can do and places to see, etc., for one price:
http://www.gosandiegocard.com/sandiego-attractions.html If I had more time, I would be all over that pass. Seems like a lot of museums participate...Quite a few interesting things to do. Some better than others...What do you think of it? Have you heard of it? Is it worth it? Maybe for another trip?
DH and I are like Yin and Yang. I like history, culture, Aquariums, museums, etc. and he likes Sea World and San Diego zoo. I say Tomato and he says Tomahto. :rolleyes1 I mentioned the beach ideas and Catalina island to him and he said, "Why go to the beach over there when we can go to the beach in Hawaii -- and we won't have to wear a wet suit, ha-ha-ha?":confused3 :rolleyes2Ummm...because they're different.:confused3
Anyway if any of you have any input on that Go San Diego Card or any of the Aquariums, Sea World or SD Zoo and Wild Animal Park, please advise.
Have any of you ever toured the Queen Mary? Is it open for tours? What about the Del Coronado. They seem to have stuff like this in the Go SD card...
Thanks!

I was looking at the LongBeach Aquarium and Scrippts Institution of Oceanography - Birch Aquarium. Both look good. Do any of you have any idea which is better and why?
And lastly, did you ever hear of the San Diego Go card? They have all kinds of things you can do and places to see, etc., for one price:
http://www.gosandiegocard.com/sandiego-attractions.html If I had more time, I would be all over that pass. Seems like a lot of museums participate...Quite a few interesting things to do. Some better than others...What do you think of it? Have you heard of it? Is it worth it? Maybe for another trip?
DH and I are like Yin and Yang. I like history, culture, Aquariums, museums, etc. and he likes Sea World and San Diego zoo. I say Tomato and he says Tomahto. :rolleyes1 I mentioned the beach ideas and Catalina island to him and he said, "Why go to the beach over there when we can go to the beach in Hawaii -- and we won't have to wear a wet suit, ha-ha-ha?":confused3 :rolleyes2Ummm...because they're different.:confused3
Anyway if any of you have any input on that Go San Diego Card or any of the Aquariums, Sea World or SD Zoo and Wild Animal Park, please advise.
Have any of you ever toured the Queen Mary? Is it open for tours? What about the Del Coronado. They seem to have stuff like this in the Go SD card...
Thanks!

Tell DH that the tiny beach is the least interesting part of Catalina. You don't go there for the beach. You should order the free Visitors Guide/Vacation Planner.magazine for Catalina (I told Pixiewings71 and Prettyprincessbelle about it and they both ordered it too!). It is charming and quaint and your camera would take beautiful pictures there. There is nothing quite so fun and relaxing as zooming around in the golf cart - it is addictive! Remember, the original Avalon Cove restaurant at DCA was based on Catalina, so it does have a roundabout Disney tie-in! Here is the link to order the Vacation Planner:

http://www.catalinachamber.com/VacationPlannerSplash.asp

You should check out my trip report- I have losts of pictures of Forest Lawn Glendale, Griffith, and Hollywood. If you do the cemetary-- wiki it--and know that it closes officially at 5pm and the museum is a definite place you want to go. http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?page=cem&previousJumpTo=&previousFameFilter=&FScemeteryid=7974&jumpTo=1&fameLevel=very
I confessed at the gate we were tourists and the man was very nice actually and showed me how to get to the museum and the places I could still look. Griffith is great and just a litttle ways up from the cemetary. Hollywood is not much further up- as you can see in my trip report the Hollywood sign from the observatory. Just make sure if there's a premeire-- it's something you'd want to be a part of...:-(.

I was in a hurry posting earlier, so I'll add more opinion I guess. All of the above is free to do which is nice on a Disney vacation. Forest Lawn is truly an amazing place huge statues and art reproductions including original pieces everywhere, I could have spent all day there but we got there just before 5. And yes a little bit of reality and perspective, I mean, here are these legendary people and they are just there y'know, their headstones are generally just not grandiose, Disney is back in a corner with a plaque that is nice but really not a big deal. For me finally visiting Errol Flynn's grave was just something I needed to do. Made me think--enjoy life while it's here, do the most you can with it.

The Long Beach Aquarium is better than Scripps in my opinion. It's a little larger and closer to Disneyland.

The boat excursions to the breakwaters are fun. Kids loved it when they brought up mud from the ocean floor and let them sift through it. It was teaming with life.

Scripps is worth the visit as well. Check their websites and see what exhibits each have that may interest you. They change every few months.

Thank you all for posting some great ideas! I really appreciate it!:goodvibes

Tell DH that the tiny beach is the least interesting part of Catalina. You don't go there for the beach. You should order the free Visitors Guide/Vacation Planner.magazine for Catalina (I told Pixiewings71 and Prettyprincessbelle about it and they both ordered it too!). It is charming and quaint and your camera would take beautiful pictures there. There is nothing quite so fun and relaxing as zooming around in the golf cart - it is addictive! Remember, the original Avalon Cove restaurant at DCA was based on Catalina, so it does have a roundabout Disney tie-in! Here is the link to order the Vacation Planner:
http://www.catalinachamber.com/VacationPlannerSplash.asp
Hi Sherry! :wave: I ordered the planning guide so I can go over it w/ DH. He's so busy working I mentioned it to him again today and he said, "Catalina Island? What's that?" After I already spoke with him about it the day before!:rolleyes1

You should check out my trip report- I have losts of pictures of Forest Lawn Glendale, Griffith, and Hollywood. If you do the cemetary-- wiki it--and know that it closes officially at 5pm and the museum is a definite place you want to go....
...I was in a hurry posting earlier, so I'll add more opinion I guess. All of the above is free to do which is nice on a Disney vacation. Forest Lawn is truly an amazing place huge statues and art reproductions including original pieces everywhere, I could have spent all day there but we got there just before 5. And yes a little bit of reality and perspective, I mean, here are these legendary people and they are just there y'know, their headstones are generally just not grandiose, Disney is back in a corner with a plaque that is nice but really not a big deal. For me finally visiting Errol Flynn's grave was just something I needed to do. Made me think--enjoy life while it's here, do the most you can with it.
Oooh now this stuff does sound interesting. I'm going to pop over and read your TR for ideas. :yay:Thanks!:goodvibes

The Long Beach Aquarium is better than Scripps in my opinion. It's a little larger and closer to Disneyland.
The boat excursions to the breakwaters are fun. Kids loved it when they brought up mud from the ocean floor and let them sift through it. It was teaming with life.
Scripps is worth the visit as well. Check their websites and see what exhibits each have that may interest you. They change every few months.
Thanks Huff! :yay: Now I just have to decide what we're going to do!:goodvibes

if we don't want to rent a car what is the best way to get to a beach like huntington and what would it cost???

Hi Sherry! :wave: I ordered the planning guide so I can go over it w/ DH. He's so busy working I mentioned it to him again today and he said, "Catalina Island? What's that?" After I already spoke with him about it the day before!:rolleyes1

Men are so funny, aren't they? I am glad you ordered the guide! Yes, don't even bother with the actual beach part of Catalina unless you are there for a weekend or longer. The beach is the size of a postage stamp, and it doesn't have long stretches of white sand or anything - in fact, they had to import some of their sand from Redondo and other beaches in the past because Catalina was all rocks at one point! I just posted some pictures (two posts with photos) over on KCMike's Catalina thread, so you can get a little idea of what the town looks like and the good photo opportunities you would have! I have tons of pictures, but that is a small sampling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter