Stroller for 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's my opinion. But don't be surprised when people (including other kids) roll their eyes and snicker.

If I chose to use a stroller for an older aged child, and someone rolled their eyes and snickered, I would think their upbringing lacked any lessons that include manners. And feel sorry for them. I'd rather be the parent pushing the child around than the ill-mannered child or adult.

If I had to pick between having either a lazy child or a rude child, I'd take the lazy child.

If I chose to use a stroller for an older aged child, and someone rolled their eyes and snickered, I would think their upbringing lacked any lessons that include manners. And feel sorry for them. I'd rather be the parent pushing the child around than the ill-mannered child or adult.

If I had to pick between having either a lazy child or a rude child, I'd take the lazy child.

I have one child who was lazy, now an adult. Another who is kind of a snob but smart and a hard worker. Having had to deal with both, who are girls, I would take the rude child any day.

But back to the original post. I can't imagine a healthy 8 yr old in a stroller. Just can't. I don't think the parent would being doing the child any favors at that age putting them in a stroller. I really question any parent who would even consider such a thing.

As there does not seem to be any medical issues then definitely a big no from me. An 8yr old is perfectly capable of walking Disney - there are plenty of breaks and you can rest whenever you like.

If you are contemplating getting a stroller to placate his whining then you are just digging a bigger hole for both yourself and him ... a child will whine until the cows come home if you allow them to and if they know they get results from it, then they're onto a win win situation ;)

As a parent myself, I learned long ago that the easy option is certainly not the best option.

Honestly, he will be fine - he's in Disney, have a great time :goodvibes

I definatly agree with you. Getting a stroller for a lazy child is definatly not a good reason to get a stroller. That is one of the reasons I limit video game use at my house. It's a nice day outside, go burn off some energy and play. (I don't want to raise any couch potatoes. :))

I am so sorry to here that your son has been hospitilized for his Asthma. I makes me feel better with my decision to not get a stroller for her next spring. I probably will still have some money set aside just in case. (Better safe than sorry, right?) I know I can be a little overprotective since my eldest son has a life threatning illness, so it's good to know that my DD's health will probably not be an issue if I don't have a stroller to push around.

Thank you. I would also consult with your pediatrician. As mine said, the stroller will do nothing to combat the humidity and may actually make them hotter as their back is sitting against hot material. We did not go in August due to this. Also, make sure she stays hydrated. It is actually better for my asthmatic DS to drink room temp water rather than cold water. It's hard to not be over protective, I think.

Have a great trip!

We will be at DW for 7 full days......we plan on bringing the regular stroller for DD4...but I'm concerned that with all of the walking.....my DS8 will get tired.

I think that DS8 will fit in the stroller that we plan on bringing....but I'm wondering we should borrow another Umbrella Stroller or even rent one at the Parks.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I can see DS8 being incredibly tired....partly cuz he can be lazy and whiny at times....and I don't want to carry him around a lot.

We are headed to Disney World in 99 days. 5 adults 2 children (8 &9). I am also toying with the idea of renting a push chair. Not for the convenience of the kids but for the convenience of the group. The 9 year old is a talker/reasoner like his Dad. I want to be able to point to the chair and say "Buddy, Time Out" and not slow down the group. The 8 year old gets very unpleasant when she 's tired but, that kid can sleep on a log. We could get 2 or even more extra hours of fun a day if she can just nap in the chair. When we are back at the resort she may even be ready for a nighttime swim. They are active kids . We won't let them abuse us with pushing them around. It's a different type of life lesson, "Always be Prepared".

We used a stroller for DD7 on a ten day trip and I don't think the trip would have gone as well otherwise. She was not embarassed at all and would have really struggled with all the walking we did. I don't think she would have gone for it the next year, though. Every child matures at a different rate and you are the best judge.

I think a stroller for an 8 year old is silly, but my 7 yr old is on a competitive track & field team. She runs 2+ miles outside 6 days a weeks in the middle of summer, and that runs right into basketball season. Theme park touring is a piece of cake after that. Obviously most families aren't that active.

We've also been stroller free at home since my youngest was 2. We tried renting one when we went when dd was 4. It was way more effort than it was worth. Such a pain to maneuver, and I'd hate to load one on the buses. For us, it's easier and more enjoyable to adjust to the kids' pace and take breaks as needed. I'm too lazy to deal with the pain of a stroller. :rotfl:

We just got back from our 3rd trip and I have to say, I saw WAY more older kids in strollers than I have on either of our previous trips. Way more.
I don't know why, but it was very obvious. My husband and son even commented on it. Maybe it was because of the rain.

IMO, a healthy 8 year old can and shuold walk. When he or she gats tired, take a break.

I kind of have the opposite problem. I was kinda thinking how it would look if the 44 yo dad sat in the stroller while the 8 yo pushed me around. It might burn a little of her energy off. I remember last spring we were at the park from 10:00am till 3:00am and she was still going strong. I really could have used that stroller for myself that day. Oh yeah and my 4 year old passed out at 2:00am. :)

If your son is fine getting in one an is really tired.. do it! Do what makes your family happy! Don't listen to anyone else.

Honestly.... most eight years old do not use strollers but who cares at Disney. After of hours upon hours of stimulation, magic, cotton candy, and 110 sun if your eight year old is tired and wants to get a stroller go for it! Who cares? You're on vacation to enjoy time with your family and have fun. :love:

The point is.... have fun and enjoy time with your famiy. :hippie:

We were just in the World 2 weeks ago and my wife and I both notice lots of parents with older (6-10ish) kids in strollers. If there are medical issues that dictate the need for a stroller then go for it. If not, ask yourself this question: how would your 8 year old child feel if he ran into some of his friends from school in the park while he was in the stroller?

On a separate but related note our society is now producing more and more young adults that are dependent on their parents because they were never forced to do anything on their own. If kiddo is tired, then it's time to call it a day or suck it up and keep going- it's a good life lesson.

We will be at DW for 7 full days......we plan on bringing the regular stroller for DD4...but I'm concerned that with all of the walking.....my DS8 will get tired.

I think that DS8 will fit in the stroller that we plan on bringing....but I'm wondering we should borrow another Umbrella Stroller or even rent one at the Parks.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I can see DS8 being incredibly tired....partly cuz he can be lazy and whiny at times....and I don't want to carry him around a lot.

You have to be kidding :eek: I haven't read any of the other posts, but if an able bodied child is whiney and lazy and needs to be carried if he doesn't have a stroller at that age he is missing some serious discipline :sad2: So what he gets tired, doesn't everyone by the end of the day? Just wow!

You have to be kidding :eek: I haven't read any of the other posts, but if an able bodied child is whiney and lazy and needs to be carried if he doesn't have a stroller at that age he is missing some serious discipline :sad2: So what he gets tired, doesn't everyone by the end of the day? Just wow!

This is my thought!
I have a 7 year old Ds and there is no whining in my house. He does chores, does what hes told, says yes mam and sir, thank you, please and your welcome. There is no whining or he is in trouble. As for lazy, my kids don't watch TV unless its earned, they pull there part and lazyness is not an option for them! I am the parent, they are kids, point blank!

When I was 8, we went down for my 2nd trip. Parents didn't bring a stroller, didn't think I'd need one being 8. Well 2 days into the trip, we get to dinner. I'm tired, saying I want to go to bed. Next thing I remember is waking up with ketchup all over my face. That's right, I fell asleep right there in my chicken nuggets. They decided to get a stroller after that.

So, hey, some kids might not need a stroller, some might. Some will fall asleep in their food. OP, see how he is when you get there. I'd play it by ear, and see how he does.

This is my thought!
I have a 7 year old Ds and there is no whining in my house. He does chores, does what hes told, says yes mam and sir, thank you, please and your welcome. There is no whining or he is in trouble. As for lazy, my kids don't watch TV unless its earned, they pull there part and lazyness is not an option for them! I am the parent, they are kids, point blank!

Totally awesome. You gonna run for President? I'd vote for you!

But on a serious note, if my child was whiney, he'd be walking. No reason why healthy children age maybe 6 and up can't walk. Certainly with breaks during the day to give them a rest, but walking is so healthy for them. Besides, if they see something cool they can go and see it, and once they get into all the cool stuff to look at and touch and hear about, they'll forget that they're supposed to be whining. Children with medical conditions by all means should be able to use a stroller. Whether or not their condition is obvious should be beside the point. I have a cousin with stage 4 lung cancer, but to look at her you'd never know it, she looks as healthy as a horse.

:thumbsup2 agree 100%

I agree 100%. My guess would be that your children are not "fussy" eaters like we hear so much about on the dis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter