Stowaways onboard the 2016 EBPC - TR update 11/4, p.24

I am signing up! Really looking forward to reading about your experiences. I know we have seen each other around on other trip reports, but I think this is the first time I am officially signing up. So happy that you are writing one! I remember that before my first cruise in 2013 I read your cruise reports multiple times as they were so full of details.

I am signing up! Really looking forward to reading about your experiences. I know we have seen each other around on other trip reports, but I think this is the first time I am officially signing up. So happy that you are writing one! I remember that before my first cruise in 2013 I read your cruise reports multiple times as they were so full of details.

Welcome! Glad to have you :) I read your PC TR long after you had posted so never commented, but I enjoyed it very much, and it was very helpful for this trip. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed mine as well :)

Congratulations on booking the 2018 one :cool1: I'm hoping for a WBTA in the Fall, anxiously awaiting itineraries, but it will probably be several months before they're put out...

Thanks. THE EBPC has been our favourite cruise to date, so looking forward to going again. Read your intro - happy to see you stayed in a sideways cabin. I originally snagged us a secret porthole on Deck 5 on opening day , but later changed it to a sideways on Deck 6 - as it was $1,000 cheaper and with the exchange rate being so bad - we'll try an inside again. Our first cruise was an inside and then we our next was the EBPC - 5510 - large outside window. Stayed in one of those and a balcony once ever since.

Thanks. THE EBPC has been our favourite cruise to date, so looking forward to going again. Read your intro - happy to see you stayed in a sideways cabin. I originally snagged us a secret porthole on Deck 5 on opening day , but later changed it to a sideways on Deck 6 - as it was $1,000 cheaper and with the exchange rate being so bad - we'll try an inside again. Our first cruise was an inside and then we our next was the EBPC - 5510 - large outside window. Stayed in one of those and a balcony once ever since.

We absolutely loved the sideways layout. Neither of us had any regrets. I was a tad worried about mom because she enjoys seeing the sun, but we both slept so good being in pitch black. And the sideways layout felt much roomier than the regular inside we had before. I would happily stay in one again, and have one booked for our Alaska cruise next year.

We absolutely loved the sideways layout. Neither of us had any regrets. I was a tad worried about mom because she enjoys seeing the sun, but we both slept so good being in pitch black. And the sideways layout felt much roomier than the regular inside we had before. I would happily stay in one again, and have one booked for our Alaska cruise next year.

Which Alaska cruise are you one? We are sailing on the May 22nd one. It will be our daughter's first time sailing "as an adult". It will be interesting seeing what she finds to do now that she cannot hang out in the Vive.

Kate

Which Alaska cruise are you one? We are sailing on the May 22nd one. It will be our daughter's first time sailing "as an adult". It will be interesting seeing what she finds to do now that she cannot hang out in the Vive.

Kate

We're on the last one of the season, September 4.

I think they have events for the young adults. I hope she finds tons to do!

Have you guys chosen excursions?

We're on the last one of the season, September 4.

I think they have events for the young adults. I hope she finds tons to do!

Have you guys chosen excursions?

Heck I was hoping that finally one of my dis-friends would be on a cruise with us. :(

The last time we went, well the only time we have cruised in Alaska, we rented a "Green Jeep" in Skagway and drove up the Klondike Highway, fun but not worth doing twice, booked a Harv and Marv whale tour in Juneau, and then just walked around Ketchikan. I did not enjoy walking around this town, maybe we need to venture out away from town next time. What I enjoyed the most was just seeing the scenery from the ship.

I am not sure what we are doing this time. Sarah and Rob want to engage in some serious mountain hiking but I cannot hike uphill (asthma), I can walk miles and miles flat land but the hills create problems for me so in Skagway I plan to knock around on my own while they hike, unless they decide they want to join me in Skagway and then hike in Juneau or Ketchikan. I hear there are interesting historical sites to see in Skagway. I am very open to suggestions from anyone who has been in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

We're booked into 5510 for the EBPC in 2017 :thumbsup2

Welcome! :) Thank you for joining. I see you have your first cruise coming up. May I ask which one you booked?

So technically I haven't booked yet, the date for my countdown is the date of the first Alaska sailing of 2018, and those wont be released until April I think, but we are 80% certain that we are going on that, (I asked for advice here http://www.disboards.com/threads/what-would-you-do.3560023/) I would totally do a Panama Canal or Trans Atlantic if we could afford it though.

so jealous, I cant sleep in pitch black, it makes me crazy

Sorry Alison, I had to steal the box where I replied to this because when they merged the TR my box got lost.

No worries. It took me this long to get back here. Looks like I missed the forum change drama.

So cute your new boys. I noticed the avatar change last week and figured you must have finally thought it was time.

Sounds like you and mom are off to a pretty good start for a relaxing day. I find the VGC is hit and miss with the texts. I make it a point to go back at 4PM now because they have missed so many for me.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your journey. I read one report already, but it was updated so quickly and the TR had no interaction, so I lost interest in the TR. I'm reconsidering taking this trip next year. I don't have to pay in full until the end of June, but I'm a little skeptical about going to Mexico in our current climate. We'll just have to see how the next few months will go.

Heck I was hoping that finally one of my dis-friends would be on a cruise with us. :(

It does make a difference when friends are on board. It made this cruise extra magical as you'll see further into the TR.

The last time we went, well the only time we have cruised in Alaska, we rented a "Green Jeep" in Skagway and drove up the Klondike Highway, fun but not worth doing twice, booked a Harv and Marv whale tour in Juneau, and then just walked around Ketchikan. I did not enjoy walking around this town, maybe we need to venture out away from town next time. What I enjoyed the most was just seeing the scenery from the ship.

The scenery from the ship looks so amazing!

Did you see whales on the tour?

I am not sure what we are doing this time. Sarah and Rob want to engage in some serious mountain hiking but I cannot hike uphill (asthma), I can walk miles and miles flat land but the hills create problems for me so in Skagway I plan to knock around on my own while they hike, unless they decide they want to join me in Skagway and then hike in Juneau or Ketchikan. I hear there are interesting historical sites to see in Skagway. I am very open to suggestions from anyone who has been in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Hiking to hike is not one of my interests. If I have my dogs with me it is another thing entirely. Conner loved a good hike. These guys do too but not as long.

We've decided on two excursions for each port, and hopefully I'll be able to book our first choice.

So technically I haven't booked yet, the date for my countdown is the date of the first Alaska sailing of 2018, and those wont be released until April I think, but we are 80% certain that we are going on that, (I asked for advice here http://www.disboards.com/threads/what-would-you-do.3560023/) I would totally do a Panama Canal or Trans Atlantic if we could afford it though.

Firstly, congratulations on your schooling and improved health. That is awesome. :)

You are getting some excellent advice on that thread. I can say DCL is the only cruise line we've been on and across the board, on 8 cruises, on all 4 ships, the service, entertainment, and food has been top notch. For the two of us, on opening day prices, this PC cruise was about $3500 in an inside stateroom. The TAs regularly go for less. Unfortunately with the new locks being opened the 2017 prices started in the $4000 range for two. Regardless of which itinerary you choose, you'll be able to make it work with your budget.

On a side note, DCL will release some cruises on sale, closer to sail dates. You have to pay the full amount up front though. I've only done that once and it was a last minute trip, but it was a bargain.

Remember that gratuities are extra and the amount depends on the length of the cruise. That will be several hundred dollars over the cruise price.

No worries. It took me this long to get back here. Looks like I missed the forum change drama.

It really stressed me out :laughing: they cut my TR in half. When they didn't reply I was wondering if I'd have to start over. Thankfully it didn't come to that.

So cute your new boys. I noticed the avatar change last week and figured you must have finally thought it was time.

It took me over a year to finally feel ok at changing the picture. It felt wrong before.

Sounds like you and mom are off to a pretty good start for a relaxing day. I find the VGC is hit and miss with the texts. I make it a point to go back at 4PM now because they have missed so many for me.

I think Cynthia also had that problem. I'm glad mom asked me to call because who knows how long I would have waited...

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your journey. I read one report already, but it was updated so quickly and the TR had no interaction, so I lost interest in the TR. I'm reconsidering taking this trip next year. I don't have to pay in full until the end of June, but I'm a little skeptical about going to Mexico in our current climate. We'll just have to see how the next few months will go.

We didn't get off at Puerto Vallarta or Cabo. Just because we didn't feel the need this trip. No regrets at all. Next time we'll probably do something at Cabo, I'd like to see the rocks up close. Do you have a back up trip planned?

Continuing with our relaxing afternoon at the Grand Californian.

After checking out our fabulous room we went back out to the pool. We were not due to meet up with Alison and Fran for another two hours so had at least an hour to enjoy the sun, and then go back to the room to get cleaned up. Our key cards would not let us in the back gate, so we had to go all the way around to the front gate where our key cards did work. That was annoying and didn't make any sense. If they work for one gate they should work for all gates, unless you're not meant to go into the pool from the back gate...

Back in the pool area one of the adventurers decided to explore the lush foliage

We found some loungers in the sun where I wrote in the journal and mom read. I have learned from past trips that if I don’t stay caught up with my first day I am playing catch up for several days. At 5:30 we headed back to the room to clean up and before leaving the room checked to see if the sofa bed had clean linens. Sadly on our last trip to the Grand Floridian the sofa bed linens were from the previous occupants. Not something one likes to find when they are ready for sleeping. Happy to find they were clean we headed to the lobby to meet Alison and Fran.

We were early so browsed the shops a bit. I have a friend that collects these princess ornaments and whenever I see a new one I send her a picture to see if she needs it.

Anna had already been acquired but she appreciated me checking

Then a little look around the lobby

We ended up on a bench outside thinking we’d catch them coming in to the lobby, but turns out we must have passed them inside somehow because Alison texted she was in the lobby and Fran was buying a shirt in the store. We quickly went in and found them and it was so nice to see them again! Chatting constantly we headed to Tortilla Joe’s for dinner, Alison had kindly made us a reservation.

We all shared the fresh made guacamole which was excellent

Mom had a quesadilla which she said was also excellent

I had corn tacos which were not excellent but still pretty good

I’m surprised any of us were able to eat anything because it didn’t seem like we stopped chatting enough to take bites. We left without ordering dessert, none of us had any room, until we happened upon a cart of macaroons!

Needless to say we each had one. Mom had a hazelnut one, and mine was raspberry and cream. I seem to have been remiss and not taken a picture of mine before it was devoured… They were magnificent!

The night was not complete without a stop in the World of Disney. I was able to find Melanie a little porcelain Cheshire Cat gift box for taking care of the boys. I think it was close to 10pm and the place was packed, hard to even walk around in there. Mom enjoyed what she saw of DTD and is now open to a DL trip in the future. The plan is to go for a few days after our Alaska trip next year.

Sadly it was time to walk back to the lobby, all of us were dragging and Alison and Fran still had to drive home. It was so nice spending time with them and I was glad I’d be seeing them in WDW not too long after this.

After parting ways mom and I were on a mission to get her some milk for her coffee in the morning. We walked to White Water Snacks but they were closed for the evening. Then back to the gift shop in the lobby, but they only had low fat milk, mom prefers whole milk for coffee. No matter, we would get some in the morning. We stumbled back to the room and were asleep by 10:15.

Tomorrow, we’d be starting the cruise!

Last edited:
I have taken the Magic Band for granted at WDW. Forgot they still use keycards at DL. How annoying when your cards or bands don't work.

That cute little guy in that lovely foliage. I do like the flowers and landscape of California.

That was nice to catch up with your journal on those comfy loungers you mentioned.

Great close ups of those beautiful Tiffany lamps thank you!

Oh my re the linen that is grim they did not have clean ones before. How nice to meet Alison and Fran and dinner looks lovely. Oh my those yummy macaroons. Yes please. Sounds like a great day.

I have taken the Magic Band for granted at WDW. Forgot they still use keycards at DL. How annoying when your cards or bands don't work.

I love magic bands!

That cute little guy in that lovely foliage. I do like the flowers and landscape of California.

Those little guys got into the darndest places! :laughing:

That was nice to catch up with your journal on those comfy loungers you mentioned.

I can't wait to get back to those loungers :cloud9:

Great close ups of those beautiful Tiffany lamps thank you!

There are some beautiful ones at the check in desk, I think I missed those this trip.

Oh my re the linen that is grim they did not have clean ones before.

Very grim!

How nice to meet Alison and Fran and dinner looks lovely.

It was so nice.

Oh my those yummy macaroons. Yes please.

They were so good!

Sounds like a great day.

Perfect first day of the trip.

Sounds like a lovely dinner with Fran and Alison! And thumbs up for clean bed linens! We once had an incident of no bed linens. And it was quite a battle to have someone come to the room to actually make the bed properly. I did not think that I should have to deal with that sofa bed, which is quite a hassle... Looks like housekeepers like to cut corners with regard to the sofa...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter