Stock Market - Dow down 2000 today. At what level is it time to jump back in?

rkstocke5609

Registered Troublemaker
OK Disboard folks. Obviously the stock market is on a downward trajectory. But, at what level are you planning to put $’s that you have on the sideline back in? I’m uncertain but I am thinking when the Dow hits 20K.....

Trying to call a bottom... almost never works out.

I'll be using up some of my dry powder by buying at regular intervals over the next several weeks (Dollar Cost Averaging). It isn't as exciting or sexy, and wont be as profitable as if you were able to buy at the bottom, but in the long-term typically works out better, as buying right at the bottom is nearly impossible to do.

Timing the Market is EZPZ Lemon Squeezy. Go all in as soon as the bell opens. Margin Call Schmargin Schmall. Mortgage the farm. Mortgage the house. Get a tote the note on your car. Heck. Put your kids up as collateral if you have to. What could possibly go wrong?

Update. I told you so, it's up up up way up. Sell it all now!!! Make a ton of money.
Update 2. Whoops. Too late. One hour later and it's already down again. Your bad. You gotta be quicker than that. But I do have a dollar for ya.

Update 3. Woohooo up for the day, sell right at the bell quickly. Whoops. Too late again. Down 900 already.

Last edited:

We’ve got some cash we are holding to invest, and figured we’d wait a bit longer before buying, but we don’t have a bottom in mind, at least as a number. Just keeping an eye on things

We have been buying the whole time the market has been tanking. Just bought some energy stocks today. Really thinking about buying some carnival cruise line stock too. It has taken a beating.

Some investors are shorting the market during these downturns.

I was recently laid off and as part of it I rolled my 401k over to an IRA.

Left it all as cash. I have been putting 50k chunks in as it has horrible days.

In a year or so we will look back, see the point when it would have been blindingly obvious to get back in, and kick ourselves. The problem is knowing it at the time.

that is why, if a particular fund/strategy has a short time-history, and they try to sell you on a "back-test" (e.g.- this is what the model would have done) be VERY skeptical. You can tune your model to back-test extremely well, and in many cases that is (not-alway-intentionally) what is going on.

I’m still waiting. I don’t expect to time the bottom, but I don’t think we are there yet.

There are so many who feel they have to time the markets perfectly and can't stand to live with taking a profit for fear of missing out. I know a few people who were doing quite well but didn't sell based on hoping they'd do even better. The best way to operate is to not regret taking a profit. The road is littered with investors who lost because of that.

I sold everything the day after the first big drop. Since then it's lost another 20%. It's not going to gain all of that back very quickly. I also don't see the bleeding stopping soon until this whole virus panic levels off. Even after that it's going to be volatile for a little while as it levels off. I'll buy back in then.

I have some IRA funds I have been gradually converting to a Roth. The lower it goes, the more shares I can convert for the same $ amount. It's just going into the same fund in the Roth so it's not like I'm selling anything at a loss; I would like to do it at the lowest price if I could figure out when that is. On the other hand, I was going to use some stock for charitable donations this year. The first week of Jan the stock was worth $133 per share, now it is $90. Kicking myself I didn't do it in the beginning of the year and hoping it comes back some by the end of 2020. Fun times we are in now.

I've been buying during the dip the whole time. yeah I could try and time the market, but I have investments that pay out dividends and I like getting those when I can. I'll just continue to buy during the dip.. and during the ride back up and when the market is stable and when it dips again.

I saw a financial analyst say a few days ago that the Disney closes the park is the day the markets bottom out. So uphill after tomorrow?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter